Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

* 50 years of The Rolling Stones - 1968/1969 - Let It Bleed *
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 28, 2012 00:00

Join in and contribute!

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-28 00:16 by His Majesty.

Re: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Date: June 28, 2012 00:03

Recording Session photo album link...

[s51.photobucket.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
Date: June 28, 2012 00:10

Cool.

Great LP. Perhaps their best. Sticky Fingers is possibly their best. Easily LET IT BLEED and STICKY FINGERS are a Best 1.10 and Best 1.11 and revolve around each other.

Re: * 50 years of The Rolling Stones - 1968/1969 - Let It Bleed *
Posted by: ash ()
Date: June 28, 2012 01:56

This is a brilliant album (obviously) and though my favourite era is 1964 to 68 i don't think the band made a really truly great album until Beggars Banquet which remains my personal choice for best Stones album.
I have 2 very big problems with Let It Bleed which i'm sure many here will disagree with.
1/ i don't like Merry Clayton's vox on Gimme Shelter. I'm not suggesting in any way that she's a bad singer, she is fantastic but I wish Jagger had sung it alone. That live vocal bbc tv appearance ( pop go the sixties ??) version totally smokes.
2/ The choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want is effing awful. I hate it. I wish there was a way to remove them from the track. I cannot think of a better song that is so totally ruined and it is an excellent tune don't get me wrong. Whose idea was the choir ?

Sorry if my opinions offend but those 2 things have bugged me for over 30 years and those complaints alone make this a lesser album for me than Sticky Fingers and Beggars.

Date: June 28, 2012 02:26

The edit version of YCAGWYW misses the choir for the intro.

Regardless of your two dislikes, those are fantastic songs, great songs, and by no way detract from the greatness of LIB. But. That's yours.

Date: June 28, 2012 02:30

November 1968 - October 1969 recording session instrument credits...

Honky Tonk Women
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, vocals
Mick Taylor - electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ian Stewart - piano
Jimmy Miller - cowbell
Steve Gregory and Bud Beadle - saxophones

You Can't Always Get What You Want
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic and electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Jimmy Miller - drums
Al Kooper - piano, organ, french horn
Rocky Dijon - percussion
Madeline Bell, Nanette Newman, Doris Troy & the London Bach Choir - vocals

Gimme Shelter
Mick Jagger - vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - electric guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano
Merry Clayton - Vocals
Jimmy Miller - percussion

Love In Vain
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Ian Stewart - piano
Ry Cooder - mandolin

Country Honk
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, vocals
Mick Taylor - electric slide guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Byron Berline - violin
Nanette Newman - vocals

Live With Me
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, bass guitar vocals
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins, Leon Russell - piano
Bobby Keys - saxophone

Let It Bleed
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar, vocals
Bill Wyman - bass guitar, auto harp
Charlie Watts - drums
Ian Stewart - piano

Midnight Rambler
Mick Jagger - vocals, harmonica
Keith Richards - electric guitar, electric 12 string slide guitar
Brian Jones - percussion
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums

You Got The Silver
Keith Richards - acoustic and electric slide guitar, vocals
Brian Jones - autoharp
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano, organ

Monkey Man
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - electric guitar, electric 12 string slide guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar, vibraphone
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano

Downtown Suzie
Mick Jagger - vocals
Keith Richards - vocals
Ry Cooder - acoustic guitar, electric slide guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums

I Don't Know Why
Mick Jagger - vocals
Mick Taylor - electric slide guitar
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - piano
(uncredited musicians)??? - brass section

Jiving Sister Fanny
Mick Jagger - vocals
Bill Wyman - bass guitar
Charlie Watts - drums
Nicky Hopkins - electric piano
(uncredited musicians)??? - brass section

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-28 04:32 by His Majesty.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 28, 2012 02:34

ash
This is a brilliant album (obviously) and though my favourite era is 1964 to 68 i don't think the band made a really truly great album until Beggars Banquet which remains my personal choice for best Stones album.
I have 2 very big problems with Let It Bleed which i'm sure many here will disagree with.
1/ i don't like Merry Clayton's vox on Gimme Shelter. I'm not suggesting in any way that she's a bad singer, she is fantastic but I wish Jagger had sung it alone. That live vocal bbc tv appearance ( pop go the sixties ??) version totally smokes.
2/ The choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want is effing awful. I hate it. I wish there was a way to remove them from the track. I cannot think of a better song that is so totally ruined and it is an excellent tune don't get me wrong. Whose idea was the choir ?

Sorry if my opinions offend but those 2 things have bugged me for over 30 years and those complaints alone make this a lesser album for me than Sticky Fingers and Beggars.

I don't mind Mery Clayton, but I have never like the choir on YCAGWYW either. The live version is so much better, listened to Brussell's several times yesterday, couldn't get over how great YCAGWYW sounds.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 28, 2012 04:48

ash

That's funny, Ash. The two absolute standout moments on both cuts is Merry Clayton's harrowing vocal on Gimme Shelter, and the soaring choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want. It's like saying, "I'm into Ruby Tuesday, but I wish they'd take out Brian's flute." It just goes to show that different people like different things.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-28 04:57 by 24FPS.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 28, 2012 09:09

Al Coopers French Horn -part and the choir on 'You can't always get..' is two things that really made this album for me....very good ending of the swingin sixties from The Stones there....thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 28, 2012 10:15

24FPS
ash

That's funny, Ash. The two absolute standout moments on both cuts is Merry Clayton's harrowing vocal on Gimme Shelter, and the soaring choir on You Can't Always Get What You Want. It's like saying, "I'm into Ruby Tuesday, but I wish they'd take out Brian's flute." It just goes to show that different people like different things.

I totally agree. LIB is my favourite album for many, many reasons. One is that these two tracks, both of which are sublime, bookend the album and, for me, are representative of the Glimmers individual styles as composer/performers which melded together to make the Stones so special. Lyrically, I think both tracks are 'typical' of their primary composers - superficially hard edged trad blues based GS with the ultimately romantic pay-off (Keith) and innovative pragmatism which is both wholly of its era and timeless (Mick). The choir (and length of that track) are part of what lifts a good song into a great track to end this album.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 28, 2012 10:16

It's their best album and another contender for the "most deserving of a deluxe edition" award.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-28 13:46 by Father Ted.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 28, 2012 16:39

Lady Jayne
24FPS
ash

I totally agree. LIB is my favourite album for many, many reasons. One is that these two tracks, both of which are sublime, bookend the album and, for me, are representative of the Glimmers individual styles as composer/performers which melded together to make the Stones so special. Lyrically, I think both tracks are 'typical' of their primary composers - superficially hard edged trad blues based GS with the ultimately romantic pay-off (Keith) and innovative pragmatism which is both wholly of its era and timeless (Mick). The choir (and length of that track) are part of what lifts a good song into a great track to end this album.

I agree those two moments really lifts the tracks and the album to magnificence. And one could add the daring choise of Country Honk. LIB is so brillantly put together. The muse is awake every single moment. LIB is unsurpassed.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: June 28, 2012 16:53

I bought this record in the early 80´s...without the innersleeve and credits,missing as well this legendary line...

THIS RECORD SHOULD BE PLAYED LOUD

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: June 28, 2012 18:06

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: rockdoc8885 ()
Date: June 28, 2012 18:20

In my opinion, this is their finest hour. When combined with Beggars of which some of the original ideas were laid down during this time, they form an incredible one two punch of American blues and country performed by the best band on the planet at that time.

I think it would be wonderful to have a deluxe edition, but what could be added that we don't already have somewhere else. The "bonus tracks" may be limited to Downtown Suzie, Jiving Sister Fanny and I Don't Know Why which we have on other compilations. Live versions would be welcome, but we already have Ya Yas so what more could they add. They didn't play YCAGWYW on this tour and only on occasion GS. The rest of the cuts were either not played on this tour or are included on Ya Yas.

Sticky Fingers and Exile are great records, no doubt. Sticky Fingers has more radio friendly hits and is a great listen from cover to cover. Exile is legendary for how and where it was recorded. It was not well-recieved by the media at that time though. It sold and played well on tour, but is still unveven in my opion. Aside from Happy, Side 3 (or tracks 11-14) I can't say I really like any of these songs, Ventialtor Blues is ok.

But, Let It Bleed, from cover to cover still, one of the greatest albums of all time and the Stones finest, especially if combined with Beggars and the two singles that came out during that same 18 month period, JJ Flash and Honky Tonk Women.

This band was on a serious roll from 1968-1972. Very few bands, maybe just the Beatles, put out a string of four consecutive albums (with a couple of singles thrown in between) in just a 48 month span that would have such a profound and lasting impact on the music scene. Plus, one of the greatest live recordings ever released, Ya Yas, was also during this 48 month span. Imagine if the squabble with Allan Klein didn't exist then we could have another awesome live release from the 1972 tour as well.

Sorry to ramble. What a great album. This record REALLY should be played loud and OFTEN.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: June 28, 2012 18:46

Yes, it does cry out for a deluxe edition, a nice 2 cd set with another 1969 concert on Disc 2.

I am of the opinion that LIB, Sticky Fingers, and Goats Head Soup all cry out for the 2cd deluxe format.

Date: June 28, 2012 19:47

For some reason, I just don't like Let It Bleed. The few truly great tracks are so much better than, what is to me, obvious filler or just nice sounding, but empty, pieces of music.

More than a year and a half after completing Beggars Banquet and the best they can offer is 9 songs!? 2 of which, in varying different guises, appeared on a single!? confused smiley

It's all about Gimme Shelter, the rest is just nice sounding production pieces empty of any true meaning or feeling. Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are far superior to it imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-28 19:50 by His Majesty.

Date: June 28, 2012 20:07

Most people probably think of all the live versions of Midnight Rambler, and the belt being smacked on the stage, etc. But the album version of MR is a wonder unto itself. It is the most menacing song they ever recorded, and this arrangement seems impossible to reproduce on stage. The complexity of the number is astounding.

I disagree with His Majesty on the amount of filler on the album. Monkey Man? Nicky & Bill jazzing around and then Keith crunches in with the funkiest riffs ever? Let It Bleed and Country Honk were the only songs I felt weren't on the Olympian level of the other cuts, but even so Let It Bleed has grown in stature and Country Honk is a good relief from what to me is a really heavy album.

This is their zenith, to me. Beggars Banquet was a return to the roots and pushing the psychedelic cobwebs aside. Let It Bleed confirmed what the electric Stones were capable of and led to everything after. Their bones were made on this album.

Date: June 28, 2012 23:16

The start of some of the best drum capturing sounds ever recorded. Aside from a few more albums, that reign ended in 1983 with UNDERCOVER.

At least for the Stones.

Date: June 28, 2012 23:19

24FPS
Most people probably think of all the live versions of Midnight Rambler, and the belt being smacked on the stage, etc. But the album version of MR is a wonder unto itself. It is the most menacing song they ever recorded, and this arrangement seems impossible to reproduce on stage. The complexity of the number is astounding.

I disagree with His Majesty on the amount of filler on the album. Monkey Man? Nicky & Bill jazzing around and then Keith crunches in with the funkiest riffs ever? Let It Bleed and Country Honk were the only songs I felt weren't on the Olympian level of the other cuts, but even so Let It Bleed has grown in stature and Country Honk is a good relief from what to me is a really heavy album.

This is their zenith, to me. Beggars Banquet was a return to the roots and pushing the psychedelic cobwebs aside. Let It Bleed confirmed what the electric Stones were capable of and led to everything after. Their bones were made on this album.

Gimme Shelter, Midnight Rambler and Monkey Man(aside from the crap lyrics) are the great tracks for me. I hate Let It Bleed, Live With Me and Country Honk. grinning smiley

Date: June 29, 2012 04:52

Heard a very good version of "Midnight Rambler" this morning. It was live in '72 but was very restrained. Not speeded up etc. It was a afternoon show, so maybe Philly or Ft Worth ?
It't the version where in the slow breakdown Jagger goes "It's too early in the afternoon.. I can't make it this early baby.."

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: June 29, 2012 05:56

Keith and Nicky were a good team at this time, just listen how close is Keith's guitar to Nicky's piano in Monkey Man.

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 29, 2012 16:44

Didnt Bill sing on DownTown Suzie?

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 29, 2012 19:36

I was 16 when this album was released. A joyous time to be Stones fan for sure. This album was universally beloved by everyone I knew in HS at that time. Following up from BB this album showed some real musical progression by the band. I am somewhat amazed that this album could be at all criticized? Not sure what people could want more than this? Apart from LIV all Jagge/Richards originals. Brilliant work from Jimmy Miller getting the sound just right. While lean as far as the number of tracks I have nenver felt this album left us wanting anything except to hear it played live which is what we got with the 1969 tour with many of the tracks. The Stones were on top of their game and growing here in a big way.

Yes they were right to recommend playing this record loud! Love the mono copy of this by the way. You can find it as a digipac

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: June 30, 2012 00:25

Keith Richards at his peak!!!!! 80% of guitars are played by him. The arrangments, licks and the atmosphere reached with his guitar is an absolute masterpiece of how to play great guitar with very few technical skills.
An absolute masterpice ruined by a poor cover

Date: June 30, 2012 03:32

KeithNacho
An absolute masterpice ruined by a poor cover

Huh? One of the best covers of all time. That was brilliant to smash the whole thing. Beggar's Banquet is the one ruined by its cover. It was a compromise and it was too reminescent of the Beatles White Album cover.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 30, 2012 04:37

Oh how I love the simplistic production and the sparse but so rich sounding instrumentation on this record.

Ry Cooders contributions are the best of the best, mandolin, guitar and slide....three things that became a huge staple in my life. I blame this album for my acoustic instrument habit.

I wonder if the huge improvement in recording consoles and tape machines around this time had much to do with it? Certainly this 5 string stuff started the best period of creativity for Keith in his life, so far. Probably for Mick too as he was learning the guitar pretty well by this point in time.

The Stones really begin for me with this record and I know I am not alone there. What great timing I say. peace

Date: June 30, 2012 06:08

His Majesty
For some reason, I just don't like Let It Bleed. The few truly great tracks are so much better than, what is to me, obvious filler or just nice sounding, but empty, pieces of music.

More than a year and a half after completing Beggars Banquet and the best they can offer is 9 songs!? 2 of which, in varying different guises, appeared on a single!? confused smiley

It's all about Gimme Shelter, the rest is just nice sounding production pieces empty of any true meaning or feeling. Beggars Banquet and Sticky Fingers are far superior to it imo.

In a way Im glad someone else feels this way too. Kind of sacrilege. But LIB has always been my least favorite of the Big 5. I am not sure what it is.
But there's the opening aND closing track that are way up here; and the rest is a good bit lower. A great album has connecting tracks; not everything is supposed to be a warhorse. But on Exile and Sticky e.g the in-betweeners hit harder than on LIB. Maybe Keith needed a partner in the engine room for LIB. He himself had set the bar very high.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2090
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home