Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Just Saw the Beach Boys Tonight !
Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 23, 2012 08:28

Just returned home after seeing the Beach Boys tonight-- all I can say is that they were spectacular! They played for over 3 hours with just a short intermission halfway through-- all the hits, some obscure tunes, lots of songs that you'd always wanted to hear but never thought they would....
All the way back to the earliest, through a number of Pet Sounds and Smile tracks to the new stuff. Was amazing. Best songs of the night ( for me anyway):
'Hero's and Villians" ( feturing incredible harmonies), "Sail on Sailor" with Brian Wilson handling lead vocals, and some of the earlier hits like "Be True to Your School " and "I Get Around"
All said and done, a superb night. My friends in Europe, they're coming your way soon-- dont miss it

Re: O/T Just Saw the Beach Boys Tonight !
Date: June 23, 2012 19:08

Do they have The Wrecking Crew playing the instruments since they did most of the studio work?

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: June 23, 2012 19:40

No Wrecking Crew-- ( although Hal Blaine was shown on the video screen a couple times ), but they had a really tight 9 piece band behind them--the drummer was reallly good-- John Cowsill -- anyone remember him from the 60's group the Cowsills ?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 23, 2012 19:43

bob r
No Wrecking Crew-- ( although Hal Blaine was shown on the video screen a couple times ), but they had a really tight 9 piece band behind them--the drummer was reallly good-- John Cowsill -- anyone remember him from the 60's group the Cowsills ?

Love American Style...greater than the red, white & blue!!!! or truer...or freer...or something....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-23 19:46 by StonesTod.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: June 23, 2012 20:11

I downloaded a show and heard God Only Knows performed with a recorded lead vocal of Carl's.

Date: June 23, 2012 20:30

bob r
Just returned home after seeing the Beach Boys tonight-- all I can say is that they were spectacular! They played for over 3 hours with just a short intermission halfway through-- all the hits, some obscure tunes, lots of songs that you'd always wanted to hear but never thought they would....
All the way back to the earliest, through a number of Pet Sounds and Smile tracks to the new stuff. Was amazing. Best songs of the night ( for me anyway):
'Hero's and Villians" ( feturing incredible harmonies), "Sail on Sailor" with Brian Wilson handling lead vocals, and some of the earlier hits like "Be True to Your School " and "I Get Around"
All said and done, a superb night. My friends in Europe, they're coming your way soon-- dont miss it

Great to hear! And it's a real blessing in disguise having the Beach Boys coming back and touring like this for their 50th. I mean, this just has to provide at least some motivation for the Stones. If they had been considering "packing it in" then this didn't hurt at all having the Beach Boys coming back so strong. I know I have said this before but there is no way Mick was going to let Mike Love have the last laugh. You can bet your bottom dollar that if the Stones had called it quits Mike Love (somewhere down the road) would have made mention of how the Beach Boys outlasted England's Rolling Stones.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 23, 2012 20:45

And, most importantly, the Beach Boys released a new album.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 23, 2012 20:57

And it's quite good.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 23, 2012 21:01

the new one? it's a pleasant little listen with elements of early beach boys, pet sounds-era beach boys and kokomo-styled beach boys. not exactly a work of art, though. the classic harmonies are still there a-plenty, however. i give it a 6 on a 1-10....

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: June 24, 2012 04:05

bob r
anyone remember him from the 60's group the Cowsills ?

The real-life Partridge Family ?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 24, 2012 04:07

Cowsills...

I saw 'em sittin' in the rain ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: June 24, 2012 04:40

StonesTod
the new one? it's a pleasant little listen with elements of early beach boys, pet sounds-era beach boys and kokomo-styled beach boys. not exactly a work of art, though. the classic harmonies are still there a-plenty, however. i give it a 6 on a 1-10....

That's pretty much what I meant by quite good. Maybe I should have said "better than I expected".

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 24, 2012 05:20

This is refreshing news. Fun, fun, fun...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: June 24, 2012 05:42

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home