Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Georgia Satellites/Jason & The Scorchers/Dan Baird
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 22, 2012 04:42

Dusted off the old records and found Dan Baird's first solo album "Love Songs For The Hearing Impaired." Forgot how good this album was. Listening to that album lead me to find my Georgia Satellites records, then Jason & The Scorchers. This music kicks ass! The Scorchers did a cover of 19th Nervous Breakdown. Any other fans out there? Are there any bands today that do the country punk thing that anyone can recommend? I do like the Supersuckers a lot!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-22 04:42 by JohnnyBGoode.

Re: OT - Georgia Satellites/Jason & The Scorchers/Dan Baird
Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: June 22, 2012 05:44

Love the CD "Longbox" Dave holds up in the Dan Baird video.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 22, 2012 06:31

Still Standing is a great record! The Scorchers are still putting on great shows!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 22, 2012 15:38

please check out this article written by Tommy Womack- a foremost Nashville songwriter and rocker/raconteur himself as well as a novelist

Dan Baird is one of the great rock and roll voices imo

[musicfog.com]

Date: June 22, 2012 23:12

yeah man am a huge Danny Boy Baird fan. the guy IS rock and roll. one night in Sudbury Ontario in January 1985 (or so) when it was about minus 30 out, the dive called Coulson's was jammed waiting for the Satellites to play. problem was it was getting on to midnight and they weren't even there yet; sudbury is a 4 hour hike north of toronto even in good weather, let alone in blizzards etc. so, we are drinking and getting stoked, its a blizzard out there

they show up at midnight, load in their gear with freezing winds howing in, snow and stuff all flying in, and start just after 1am

the bar is packed, Dan Baird strolls onstage, grabs the mike and in that southern drawl, says; 'holy @#$%& its cold out there!!, how the hell y'all live up here?'

and then they proceeded to tear the roof off the place with barnstorming rock and roll for the next few hours.

all Dan Baird's solo stuff s great, and I really like his stuff with the Yayhoos (with Eric Ambel, ex- Del Lords member) and Roscoe's Gang namesake. Roscoes Gang has cool stuff out, too, though hard to get. the other guys are terry anderson and keith christopher.

one of my favorite records right now as we speak is dan baird and the sofa kings - 'redneck savant' (live in 2001); there's an exchange with the crowd where just before baird plays the old satellites song 'another chance' he says that he wrote that song after meeting the Faces Ronnie Lane ('i had the pleasure of meeting him, he was great and i miss him' he says, ' you know that song Ooh La La by the Faces? that's a great %^$$*$$ song and I stole this ('another chance') right from that.'

baird is fricken hilarious to boot

Dan Baird and Homemade Sin

'julie and lucky from waste your time kentucky'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-22 23:19 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: June 23, 2012 01:19

Ha ha, that one of him live on Letterman is actually a video I posted on youtube. Small world. When that song first came out, I COULDN'T STAND IT at all! But I dig it now. Wonder if the Georgia Satellites will ever get back together.

Date: June 23, 2012 10:45

pinkfloydthebarber
yeah man am a huge Danny Boy Baird fan. the guy IS rock and roll. one night in Sudbury Ontario in January 1985 (or so) when it was about minus 30 out, the dive called Coulson's was jammed waiting for the Satellites to play. problem was it was getting on to midnight and they weren't even there yet; sudbury is a 4 hour hike north of toronto even in good weather, let alone in blizzards etc. so, we are drinking and getting stoked, its a blizzard out there

they show up at midnight, load in their gear with freezing winds howing in, snow and stuff all flying in, and start just after 1am

the bar is packed, Dan Baird strolls onstage, grabs the mike and in that southern drawl, says; 'holy @#$%& its cold out there!!, how the hell y'all live up here?'

and then they proceeded to tear the roof off the place with barnstorming rock and roll for the next few hours.

all Dan Baird's solo stuff s great, and I really like his stuff with the Yayhoos (with Eric Ambel, ex- Del Lords member) and Roscoe's Gang namesake. Roscoes Gang has cool stuff out, too, though hard to get. the other guys are terry anderson and keith christopher.

one of my favorite records right now as we speak is dan baird and the sofa kings - 'redneck savant' (live in 2001); there's an exchange with the crowd where just before baird plays the old satellites song 'another chance' he says that he wrote that song after meeting the Faces Ronnie Lane ('i had the pleasure of meeting him, he was great and i miss him' he says, ' you know that song Ooh La La by the Faces? that's a great %^$$*$$ song and I stole this ('another chance') right from that.'

baird is fricken hilarious to boot

Dan Baird and Homemade Sin

'julie and lucky from waste your time kentucky'

I have to get new walls. That just blew me into the next room! Does anyone know where to get Georgia Satellites bootlegs?

Date: June 23, 2012 10:47

duke richardson
please check out this article written by Tommy Womack- a foremost Nashville songwriter and rocker/raconteur himself as well as a novelist

Dan Baird is one of the great rock and roll voices imo

[musicfog.com]

Thanks for the link! I'm going to start reading musicfog more often.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 23, 2012 14:17

jason & the scorchers one of the best live bands!

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: June 23, 2012 16:43

Jason & The Scorchers' cover of "Absolutely Sweet Marie" might be my favorite cover of all time. Fervor is just a fantastic album from start to finish.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 23, 2012 18:50

JohnnyBGoode
Dusted off the old records and found Dan Baird's first solo album "Love Songs For The Hearing Impaired." Forgot how good this album was. Listening to that album lead me to find my Georgia Satellites records, then Jason & The Scorchers. This music kicks ass! The Scorchers did a cover of 19th Nervous Breakdown. Any other fans out there? Are there any bands today that do the country punk thing that anyone can recommend? I do like the Supersuckers a lot!

Good stuff. I love it.

Date: June 24, 2012 09:03

Some new bands.

Deadman:

JP Harris & The Tough Choices:

Date: June 25, 2012 14:24

Anyone remember The Long Ryders?

Date: August 18, 2015 15:43

New Dan Baird & Homemade Sin album!!!

[www.danbairdandhomemadesin.net]

Date: August 18, 2015 15:48

yes indeed.

just to remember Bobby Keys and Dan Baird, in Bobby's other band, the Sufferin Bastards..

Baird is one of two rhythm guitarists Bobby preferred to play with.

Date: August 18, 2015 15:49

Just for the hell of it...

Dan Baird

Date: August 18, 2015 17:49

Listen to the title track "Get Loud." Gimme Shelter? Awesome!

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 18, 2015 17:55

X-Under The Big Black Sun
Steve Earle-I Feel Allright
Whiskeytown-Stranger's Almanac
The Beat Farmers
The Knitters-Poor Little Critter In The Road
Hank III
Bobby Bare, Jr.
The Blasters
Uncle Tupelo
Magnolia Electric Co
Ween-12 Golden Country Greats

Posted by: itsallovernow ()
Date: August 18, 2015 18:08

I saw Baird with Bobby Keys in Syracuse a couple summers ago. Fantastic show….hes a great singer and guitar player.

Date: August 18, 2015 18:14

duke richardson
yes indeed.

just to remember Bobby Keys and Dan Baird, in Bobby's other band, the Sufferin Bastards..

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Bobby Keys And The Suffering Bastards

Date: August 18, 2015 18:44

JohnnyBGoode
duke richardson
yes indeed.

Can't You Hear Me Knocking - Bobby Keys And The Suffering Bastards

thumbs upthumbs up

would love a new DB solo album..he's a busy guy..

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: August 19, 2015 13:32

I am a great fan of the the original Georgia Satellites, still have the (first three) albums on vinyl (also the inner sleeves were fantastic!), they just kept gettin better: from "Hands to Yourself" to "Hand to Mouth" and "Sheila" over to "All Over But The Cryin´", "Days Gone By", "Six Years Gone" and "Sweet Blue Midnight". To me simply brillant!
Then Rick Richards left for Izzy Stradlins JuJu Hounds and after the split the old magic disappeared a bit. To me, Dan Baird almost belongs in line w/ Bob Seger and John Fogerty. And I still have the HippyHippyShake, lol.

Cheerio, Fillmore

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 19, 2015 15:07

JohnnyBGoode
The Scorchers did a cover of 19th Nervous Breakdown.

That was a great cover, I had that album.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: August 20, 2015 08:16

Excellent thread! I remember well when the Georgia Satellites broke big, and thought "I Love You Period" was incredibly annoying. I'm sure glad I got that second record, because it is great, and "Another Chance" is an amazing song. So I am definitely a fan of Dan Baird, though I haven't kept up with his recent releases.

I think I'll have to put that on the list of CD's to order next, and hear what he's been up to! He really is a tremendous talent.

Date: November 8, 2015 03:17

Finally got the new album on vinyl after a two month wait, along with the new Electric and Acoustic live albums and the dvd Viva Nashvegas. Awesome rock 'n' roll!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1661
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home