Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: Worst Stones song?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2012 00:24

71Tele
BluzDude
Maybe the question should be....What is the Stones equivalent to Mr. Moonlight, often considered by many to be the Beatles worst song (though I'm sure many will disagree)?

Mr. Moonlight has a great organ solo by John Lennon.

There absolutely positively is a joke buried in there somewhere...I just can't find it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-22 01:40 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 22, 2012 00:29

71Tele
BluzDude
Maybe the question should be....What is the Stones equivalent to Mr. Moonlight, often considered by many to be the Beatles worst song (though I'm sure many will disagree)?

From Geoff Emerick's book Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of The Beatles, p. 93: "The work continued at the same efficient clip. Things were moving along briskly, though we never felt hurried or under pressure. John took the vocal spotlight for their next number, a cover of an obscure song called 'Mr. Moonlight.' His searing vocal introduction sent shivers down my spine, even though it took him several tries to nail it.

"The stumbling block again was Harrison's guitar solo--not the notes he was playing, but the odd, sped-up tremolo sound he was using, in faithful imitation of the Dr. Feelgood version that had been a minor hit a couple of years previously. Lennon thought the unconventional sound was terrific--and, personally, so did I--but George Martin insisted that it was simply to weird. After some discussion, it was decided to overdub a cheesy organ solo instead. Even though I loathed the sound, I was most impressed to see Paul playing it--up until that point, I'd had no idea that he could even play keyboards."

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 22, 2012 00:36

stonesnow
71Tele
BluzDude

From Geoff Emerick's book Here, There and Everywhere: My Life Recording the Music of The Beatles, p. 93: "The work continued at the same efficient clip. Things were moving along briskly, though we never felt hurried or under pressure. John took the vocal spotlight for their next number, a cover of an obscure song called 'Mr. Moonlight.' His searing vocal introduction sent shivers down my spine, even though it took him several tries to nail it.

"The stumbling block again was Harrison's guitar solo--not the notes he was playing, but the odd, sped-up tremolo sound he was using, in faithful imitation of the Dr. Feelgood version that had been a minor hit a couple of years previously. Lennon thought the unconventional sound was terrific--and, personally, so did I--but George Martin insisted that it was simply to weird. After some discussion, it was decided to overdub a cheesy organ solo instead. Even though I loathed the sound, I was most impressed to see Paul playing it--up until that point, I'd had no idea that he could even play keyboards."

Sorry, you're right: Paul!

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 22, 2012 00:58

71Tele
stonesnow
71Tele
BluzDude

Sorry, you're right: Paul!

By the way, I highly recommend Geoff Emerick's book to anyone interested in how the Beatles recorded their music. Because he was THERE and got as close as any outsider (i.e., anyone outside their social circle) could at seeing them in their best and worst personal and professional moments. Told with both affection and stark irreverence, it reveals many often startling and hilarious anecdotes and stories not found in any other Beatles biography--and unlike any other Beatles bio, it is set solely in the studios where they recorded, both as a group and solo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-22 01:02 by stonesnow.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 22, 2012 00:59

Hold Back. I think two thus far have included it on their 'worst' lists. The drums are stupidly loud, the vocals are awful, the lyrics terrible, the guitar riff is dull and sloppy, and the song just has a feel of lazy, soul-less make-believe rock. If the drums were lower in the mix and not given the explosive hair-metal cannon treatment, and the vocals were lower in the mix and less gargly, and the guitar riff was... better... maybe it would have been a decent outtake, but inclusion of this song on an actual album, to me, was always evidence that there were very hard times during the DW sessions. And indeed there were. There are some other Stones tunes I don't like, but none, imo, have so many faults as this one.

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:05

sweethearts together--UGH....back to zero--RUBBISH--always suffering--TRIPE--dancing with mr D--SWILL.......always skip over those...

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:31

nader? how did he get into this? nadir, perhaps....

Date: June 22, 2012 03:54

treaclefingers
71Tele
BluzDude

There absolutely positively is a joke buried in there somewhere...I just can't find it.

ah, got it:

John Lennon performed a great organ solo on Mr. Moonlight.

Thank you, thank you

Date: June 22, 2012 04:09

Back to Zero won the most votes here a few years ago.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 22, 2012 05:01

Yes, Back to Zero is dreadful also. This thread is a downer. How 'bout another tour rumor, or a nice old Wood vs Taylor debate for nostalgia's sake? Something about Mick Jagger's hair? I am getting rather desperate.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: June 22, 2012 05:23

Tate
Yes, Back to Zero is dreadful also. This thread is a downer. How 'bout another tour rumor, or a nice old Wood vs Taylor debate for nostalgia's sake? Something about Mick Jagger's hair? I am getting rather desperate.

We can talk about Ronnie's wig..

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 22, 2012 06:28

Dave Matthews soiling Memory Motel

Date: June 22, 2012 06:32

Dude! Thats great! How about Dave soiling Wild Horses?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 22, 2012 07:32

Has no one heard "Anyway You Look At It"?

Most of the songs listed so far come down to personal tastes.....and they have fans.
But AYLAI is just bad. Worse even then SOL.
I mean, listen to it and tell me there is a worse Stones song.

Date: June 22, 2012 08:16

Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love are both worse than Anyway You Look At It. So is Don't Be A Stranger!

Date: June 22, 2012 16:16

flacnvinyl
Stealing My Heart and Keys To Your Love are both worse than Anyway You Look At It. So is Don't Be A Stranger!

hafta disagree wicha on dat one.

Date: June 22, 2012 16:17

treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

and dis one too....still, one out of three ain't a bad average....

Date: June 22, 2012 16:19

StonesTod
treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

meatloaf would prolly disagree wicha on dat one.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 22, 2012 16:39

flacnvinyl
Dude! Thats great! How about Dave soiling Wild Horses?

thumbs up

Memory Motel & Wild Horses = The Dave Matthews Debacle

Date: June 22, 2012 18:24

StonesTod
treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

I went ahead and highlighted Anyway You Look At It because it was looking lonely.

Date: June 22, 2012 18:42

flacnvinyl
StonesTod
treaclefingers
flacnvinyl

I went ahead and highlighted Anyway You Look At It because it was looking lonely.

it's clear now that these are among the greatest songs in the stones catalogue. it's amazing how quickly things can change....

Date: June 22, 2012 18:59

71Tele
I am tired of the abuse Gomper gets around here.

Seeing that it's such a great title it needs more abuse. Awful title for a awful song!

Date: June 22, 2012 19:00

Streets Of Love. There are a quite a few worst ones but that one truly is king.

Date: June 22, 2012 19:05

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

did you ever hear the early, boogie-woogie version, though? with that great chuck berry guitar break and everything? one of those occasions when they should have stopped fooling around with it....

Date: June 22, 2012 19:08

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

did you ever hear the early, boogie-woogie version, though? with that great chuck berry guitar break and everything? one of those occasions when they should have stopped fooling around with it....

How could that matter? It's horrendous regardless of what style it's played! I mean, after the Chuck Berry guitar break there's a goddamn Chuck Leavell piano break. Too much tinky plink. They could have at least edited out the piano break for the bootleg.

Date: June 22, 2012 19:14

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

How could that matter? It's horrendous regardless of what style it's played! I mean, after the Chuck Berry guitar break there's a goddamn Chuck Leavell piano break. Too much tinky plink. They could have at least edited out the piano break for the bootleg.

you must have an even earlier version. mine has a fine ronnie sax solo instead.

Date: June 22, 2012 19:24

StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues

you must have an even earlier version. mine has a fine ronnie sax solo instead.

Really. Huh. Because the version I have features Ronnie on the drums (and no sax), which, as we all know, Mick played the drums on the demos, of which they used on the LP via samples (as far as I know only on Rain Fall Down) but Ronnie's drumming has digressed a bit from what he did on Dirty Work - it resembles his voice. Perhaps it's the post-Mick pre-Charlie version? Or maybe it's a pre-demo demo? Or a pre-Mick pre-pre-Charlie recording?

Date: June 22, 2012 19:26

whatever happened to it, it sure dissolved into a sappy ballad. i-i-i-i just don't understand how it happened.

Date: June 22, 2012 19:28

StonesTod
whatever happened to it, it sure dissolved into a sappy ballad. i-i-i-i just don't understand how it happened.

Oh man, that was an awful bad pun.

Date: June 22, 2012 19:51

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
StonesTod

Oh man, that was an awful bad pun.

there's nothing punny about what happened....

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1493
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home