Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: the most underrated stones song.for me its..
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2012 04:54

KeefintheNight82
Havo
I really like "Through the lonely nights", and i think this is very underrated!

I like that one too and it is def. underrated.

Great song. Maybe we'll see it on the GHS deluxe edition, if there ever is one.

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:16

i'm going down
winter
crazy mama
hand of fate
citadel
dance little sister
time waits for no one
100 years ago
hide your love
sway

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: June 20, 2012 05:20

Havo
I really like "Through the lonely nights", and i think this is very underrated!

Havo is right ... This song is much better than many. Should ve been on an album.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 20, 2012 06:05

Sway is either most underrated or most unknown.

It has always been a favorite of mine, and just last week I heard it in a bar for the first time.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 20, 2012 07:18

JimmyTheSaint
Sway is either most underrated or most unknown.

It has always been a favorite of mine, and just last week I heard it in a bar for the first time.

I think you are right about the general public, but that song gets a lot of love here. For me it's the quintessential Stones song. It has all the elements of Stones greatness: Big open G electric guitar (though played by Mick!), a bit of country twang, bittersweet melancholy lyrics, a powerful performance by Bill and Charlie, lovely Mick & Keith harmonies, an adventurous arrangement (the Paul Buckmaster strings), and the icing on the cake, searing, achingly beautiful guitar by Mick Taylor. It's a weird song because it's sort of part country, part blues, part rock power ballad. Personally for depth of emotion, I don't think the Stones have ever topped it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-20 07:20 by 71Tele.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 17:29

Indian Girl
Crazy Mama
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Sad Sad Sad

Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: June 20, 2012 19:39

stupidguy2
Indian Girl
Crazy Mama
If You Really Want To Be My Friend
Sad Sad Sad

"If You Really Want To Be My Friend" Great choice.

Side 2 of IORR has such a strange, muted feel. After the blowout of "Luxury" and "Dance Little Sister," the whole thing turns kind of dark. Even the goof of "Short and Curlies" seems kind of sad in its dissolute way...

It's an album I'm always apt to dismiss, but somehow can't. The Stones--even the exhausted, decadent, junked-out Stones--can't be written off.

Date: June 20, 2012 19:51

I'll throw out there;

good times bad times

sittin on a fence

backstreet girl

parachute woman

fingerprint file

Posted by: fela ()
Date: June 20, 2012 20:10

family

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 20, 2012 20:52

Turd On The Run
Long Long While
Hand Of Fate
Prodigal Son
100 Years Ago
Luxury
Send It To Me
The Lantern
Already Over Me
It's All Over Now
Hang Fire
Let Me Go

Most overrated - Stray Cat Blues and Time Waits For No One

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: June 20, 2012 22:23

"Stray cat blues" and "Time waits for no one" are overrated??MsW2525?? really dont think so!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: June 20, 2012 22:32

There is no way Time Waits For No One can be overrated. I doubt if many people besides Stones fans have even heard the song. If they had released it as a single it might have been a top ten hit.

Date: June 21, 2012 00:19

Winning Ugly
Back to Zero
Hold Back
Feel on baby...

Well, seriously....

Tell Me
Dance Little Sister
Heaven

for instance

Posted by: msw2525 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 05:23

Havo
"Stray cat blues" and "Time waits for no one" are overrated??MsW2525?? really dont think so!

Yes I know I am probably in the minority, but what can I say? Two songs that get a lot of overblown attention IMO.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 21, 2012 06:06

Brian era
Less is more....I Am Waiting

Limbo era (keith only)
Monkey Man

Taylor era
Coming Down Again

Ronnie era
Slave

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 21, 2012 06:34

cookwazzahoe
'Whos Been Sleeping Here'

an almost forgotten tune IMO

One of my favorites too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-21 06:35 by ryanpow.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: June 21, 2012 07:22

It's Gimme Shelter, if only because that's one for which no amount of praise is sufficient. The version on Let It Bleed is probably their greatest recorded track and one of the crowning achievements in all of rock music.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: June 21, 2012 13:51

Can You Hear The Music

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 21, 2012 14:35

ab
It's Gimme Shelter, if only because that's one for which no amount of praise is sufficient.

it's the greatest song of all-time. but not not only that - it's the best example of a transformational piece of art that has changed millions of lives and altered the earth's axis. and it cleans out grit from those hard to reach corners.

sufficient now?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 21, 2012 14:39

FrankM
There is no way Time Waits For No One can be overrated. I doubt if many people besides Stones fans have even heard the song. If they had released it as a single it might have been a top ten hit.

It's awful 70's pap! So yes, it probably would have done well in the UK charts at the time.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 21, 2012 15:04

Whos been sleeping here is a good choice. Honest answer would be that one. I've loved it from the start but always felt a but ashamed of that.

I Am waiting is another one.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 21, 2012 15:07

Redhotcarpet
Whos been sleeping here is a good choice. Honest answer would be that one. I've loved it from the start but always felt a but ashamed of that.

I love Keith's acoustic guitar intro on that.

Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 21, 2012 19:55

It Must Be Hell from Undercover. The main rhythm guitar riff on that track bears an uncanny resemblance (with perhaps a slight variation) to the rhythm guitar riff in Soul Survivor, particularly in the chorus of SS, but especially in the rhythm guitar playout that kicks in at 2:22 in SS. The rhythm guitar in IMBH all the way through is similar to the playout riff in SS--interestingly, these were the closing tracks on their respective albums, each played to great and powerful effect.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 21, 2012 20:52

Sittin on a Fence
I Am Waiting
Family
Had It With You
Let Me Down Slow

Date: June 21, 2012 21:38

FrankM

Yes! Trouble is, most Top 40 DJs would likely just fade it out before the best part, the long MT guitar playout--like the shortened version on Sucking In The Seventies.

Then again, consider why it never was released as a single--didn't MT have a hand in writing it? Perhaps it was mainly his song. Not crediting him as writer or cowriter then releasing it as a Jagger/Richards single would have caused considerable tension. It would have forced MT to leave the band even sooner than he did

Date: June 21, 2012 22:58

Another good track already cited by several posts above is All The Way Down from Undercover. It's got a hit-making (Top 20ish) melodic hook and a striking middle tempo change reminiscent of Rocks Off, in addition to a rhythm and feel similar to Hang Fire, along with some energetic sliding bass accents from Bill Wyman. If written and recorded a couple of years earlier, this track would have made a fine addition as a new song for Tattoo You (and it would have been more widely known as a result).

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 22, 2012 01:54

stonesnow
Another good track already cited by several posts above is All The Way Down from Undercover. It's got a hit-making (Top 20ish) melodic hook and a striking middle tempo change reminiscent of Rocks Off, in addition to a rhythm and feel similar to Hang Fire, along with some energetic sliding bass accents from Bill Wyman. If written and recorded a couple of years earlier, this track would have made a fine addition as a new song for Tattoo You (and it would have been more widely known as a result).

Agreed, this is a good song.

I'd say most of the album is heavily underrated by a lot of the 'fans'...it gets unfairly brushed off along with Dirty Work, and that album is a whole other kettle of ball game.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:24

Gomper is the most underrated because it is not bad. Brother of the Lantern and none of them are bad.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: June 22, 2012 02:28

Redhotcarpet
Gomper is the most underrated because it is not bad. Brother of the Lantern and none of them are bad.

you have excellent analytical skills. and good a familial attitude.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: June 23, 2012 06:28

Backstreet Girl

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1881
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home