Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: 1978 Let it Rock
Date: June 13, 2012 10:07

VT22
You're waisting your time 71 Tele, they don't or won't hear it.

Hey, I know a guy with typos like yours winking smiley

Good to have you back thumbs up

Date: June 13, 2012 10:09

Doxa
DandelionPowderman
VT22
+1

In '71 the Stones were a rock band, in '78 they were clearly punk influenced, perfectly aware their act sells..

We shouldn't over-interpret the punk-thing. If we actually listen to the music from the 78 tour, it's not really very punk-influenced. The influence had more to do with the attitude, especially that of Mick's.

Many songs reached their peaks on the 78-tour, and Let It Rock was one of them. Other ones were Star Star, All Down The Line and HTW + the best of the SG-tracks.

There is nothing punk-ish about this, and this is a typical 78-number. Jagger have never been singing better than this, imo:

I disagree here. I think the attitude exactly is punk-influenced. Especially concerning the older early-seventies "classic era" rock songs, of which they skipped the anthems ("Midnight Rambler", "Gimme Shelter", "You Can't Always Get") that used to be their gig highlights, and chose only the fast and short, basic rockers; "All Down The Line" and "Star Star" were perfect songs to perform in 'punk-climate' of 1978. And the way Jagger sings "All Down The Line" here has a lot of Johnny Rotten there. If we compare his doings of the song before and after 1978 he never put had that much effort and attitude and twist into it as he did in 1978. I think "All Down The Line" from 1978 really stands out in terms of energy and attitude. Maybe it is not flying so guitar-high like Taylor era versions, but I think they really push there hard as they ever can. To me it really is manifestation of the punks kicking their balls, and them kicking back.

- Doxa

Listen to the coked-up (and faster) versions from 1972. It's a myth, as far as the music goes, imo.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 13, 2012 10:21

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Mathijs
buffalo7478
I only saw the perform Let It Rock once, in Buffalo in 1978. It was a mess, very much sound, Jagger kind of shouting lyrics. 79,990 out of the 80,000 in attendance wondering what the f#*k was being played. The boot I have heard of the Buffalo show are actually quite accurate to my memory of how they sounded - which was pretty crappy.They flew threw their set and left a chunk of the crowd scratching their heads and wondering what the hell happened to the world's greatest rock n roll band.

1978 was more about attitude than anything else. Maybe they were trying to keep up with the punks?

I don't like Leeds at all. The playing is sloppy, the guitars too clean, Taylor overpowers with his leads, the brass too funky for the Stones. And, but that's just my own opinion, the way the Stones played in '71 sounds just very old fashioned these days. It's typical Rolling Stones rock, and I am bored with that. And that also goes for the 72 and 73 tours: I have listened enough to those tours. I find it quite old fashioned 70's rock that doesn't move me as much as it did anymore.

That's why I like the 1975, 78 and 81 tours so much more: much less classic rock, with many more influences than only rock. I prefer the attitude much better of these tours: it wasn't about perfectly executed solo's, but about attitude, swagger, groove and swing.

Mathijs

And by your measure of "attitude" and "swing" I still think '69, '72, and '73 were far better. 1978 is where the slop really started to set in (can't believe you think '78 is less sloppy. Start with Jagger not remembering the words in '78). Some shows were brilliant, some horrible. But the musical standards of the band degenerated. I don't know what you mean by "classic rock". The Stones never were a classic rock band, thank God.

We know your preference for the Wood years. Fine. But your efforts to minimize everything from the Taylor era from Ya Yas to Exile, and to exaggerate the importance of half-baked stuff from the Wood era like Undercover has gotten overly familiar. It frankly feels quite strained at the time, like you have some kind of agenda.

Start with Jagger not remembering the words on almost EVERY version of Rocks Off in 1972 smiling smiley

Seriously, the Stones have never been a technical band, not even in the Taylor years. Some of the early 69-shows are a mess, really a mess, even worse than the bad 1978-shows.

I think it's easy to be blinded by the good shows on every tour - hence we forget that the band we love so much actually is a bit more unstructured and sloppy than most big acts out there.

I think it's charming and a part of who they are, hence the flawless shows don't have to be their best.

It's not about being flawless or technically perfect. It's the difference between giving a crap about being musically proficient and professional, and not giving much of a crap. There is a profound difference between the shows of '69-'73 (which still had plenty of charm, imo) and the slop and fvck-all attitude of much of '78 and beyond. Wood's first solo on Let It Rock '78 vintage, for example, is rudimentary at best. All of Richards' solos on the '71 version are epic - every note has a purpose. I still say the very fact of Wood joining made Keith play less intensley because he no longer had someone who was his musical equal on the other side of the stage, he had a pal instead. Oh, that Mick Taylor was such a bore - he just made the whole band play better, how tiresome. I certainly acknowledge that many of you prefer the sloppy-"fun" Wood-era vibe to the musically more intense on of '69-'73, but I don't think there is a strong musical argument to be made for the post-'75 period being better as far as live shows go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 10:27 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 13, 2012 10:30

DandelionPowderman
Seriously, the Stones have never been a technical band, not even in the Taylor years. Some of the early 69-shows are a mess, really a mess, even worse than the bad 1978-shows.

I think it's easy to be blinded by the good shows on every tour - hence we forget that the band we love so much actually is a bit more unstructured and sloppy than most big acts out there.

I think it's charming and a part of who they are, hence the flawless shows don't have to be their best.

Thta's essential stuff you write here, Dandie! Indeed!smileys with beer

Especially concerning the technically superior version of the band in, say, 1972-73. No, they were never extremily tight or non-sloppy or professional if compared to some or most other bands in the business. If they were, those were expections to a rule. The speciality of the grooveness and humanity in their sound always was based on huge risk in their technical abilities. Their sound is a sum of lucky co-incidencies and special chemistry of the players. That's why they were the most dangerous and exciting band in the world. They could collapse anytime, but they never did! Of course, they svcked many times, and all that,, but also that was highly entertaining and exciting.

I think what is special in 1978 tour is that the punk allowed tHe Stones to use their own strenghts, and rely on them. They didn't need to prove being as 'good' as the other, perhaps more current bands in the business (the classic era bands). I think for this reason, The Stones were able to react better to punk revolution in music. I think the result was more relaxed band than they were during the early seventies. They had their arrogant touch but somehow decadent and without direction feel during 1975 and especially in 1976, but that was replaced by more focused ad inspirational attitude in 1978.

But damn sloppy shows in every tour!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 13, 2012 10:38

71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Mathijs
buffalo7478
I only saw the perform Let It Rock once, in Buffalo in 1978. It was a mess, very much sound, Jagger kind of shouting lyrics. 79,990 out of the 80,000 in attendance wondering what the f#*k was being played. The boot I have heard of the Buffalo show are actually quite accurate to my memory of how they sounded - which was pretty crappy.They flew threw their set and left a chunk of the crowd scratching their heads and wondering what the hell happened to the world's greatest rock n roll band.

1978 was more about attitude than anything else. Maybe they were trying to keep up with the punks?

I don't like Leeds at all. The playing is sloppy, the guitars too clean, Taylor overpowers with his leads, the brass too funky for the Stones. And, but that's just my own opinion, the way the Stones played in '71 sounds just very old fashioned these days. It's typical Rolling Stones rock, and I am bored with that. And that also goes for the 72 and 73 tours: I have listened enough to those tours. I find it quite old fashioned 70's rock that doesn't move me as much as it did anymore.

That's why I like the 1975, 78 and 81 tours so much more: much less classic rock, with many more influences than only rock. I prefer the attitude much better of these tours: it wasn't about perfectly executed solo's, but about attitude, swagger, groove and swing.

Mathijs

And by your measure of "attitude" and "swing" I still think '69, '72, and '73 were far better. 1978 is where the slop really started to set in (can't believe you think '78 is less sloppy. Start with Jagger not remembering the words in '78). Some shows were brilliant, some horrible. But the musical standards of the band degenerated. I don't know what you mean by "classic rock". The Stones never were a classic rock band, thank God.

We know your preference for the Wood years. Fine. But your efforts to minimize everything from the Taylor era from Ya Yas to Exile, and to exaggerate the importance of half-baked stuff from the Wood era like Undercover has gotten overly familiar. It frankly feels quite strained at the time, like you have some kind of agenda.

Start with Jagger not remembering the words on almost EVERY version of Rocks Off in 1972 smiling smiley

It's not about being flawless or technically perfect. It's the difference between giving a crap about being musically proficient and professional, and not giving much of a crap. There is a profound difference between the shows of '69-'73 (which still had plenty of charm, imo) and the slop and fvck-all attitude of much of '78 and beyond. Wood's first solo on Let It Rock '78 vintage, for example, is rudimentary at best. All of Richards' solos on the '71 version are epic - every note has a purpose. I still say the very fact of Wood joining made Keith play less intensley because he no longer had someone who was his musical equal on the other side of the stage, he had a pal instead. Oh, that Mick Taylor was such a bore - he just made the whole band play better, how tiresome. I certainly acknowledge that many of you prefer the sloppy-"fun" Wood-era vibe to the musically more intense on of '69-'73, but I don't think there is a strong musical argument to be made for the post-'75 period being better as far as live shows go.

Really? That's stretching it a bit, isn't it?

I have never said that Mick Taylor was a bore, but he wasn't the genius you present him as either. The Stones had as many off gigs with Taylor as they had in the early Wood-era - we have the boots to prove it.

I think you are mistaking sloppiness for looseness. It's not the same. When I listen to Oakland 69 (both shows), I hear perfection in one moment and extreme looseness in another. The same goes for the 78-shows. There are nothing sloppy about Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes or HTW. However, the looseness becomes very evident on some of the three chord-songs, just as it did with Taylor on board.

The way I get you: I think you are missing the great solos, and a more "singing" Jagger. I can understand that, but it has nothing to do with sloppiness.

It's a too easy musical analysis, just dismissing the tour as sloppy, imo.

Date: June 13, 2012 10:42

DandelionPowderman
Listen to the coked-up (and faster) versions from 1972. It's a myth, as far as the music goes, imo.

Sorry but I couldn't get this through. What is a myth?

I didn't claim that 1978 version of "All Down The Line" is faster, more energetic and better or anything like that. In 1972 they nailed the song so naturally, I said "guitar-high", but you could say "coke-high" as wellgrinning smiley. The players were not even reached their thirties. They were transcendental, and the whole performance just flew. In contrast, that was replaced in 1978 by six years older players, who needed to show that they were as energetic as their younger rivals. That's why they sound to my ears like "pushing hard" - that is: trying to play as energetic as they can. This is especially heard in Mick's vocals. He uses rotten-like tricks. Just listen his phrasing, and fooling around. In 1972 nothing of that was needed. They played a fresh song with their natural ability as good as they can.

By the eway, things like these arethe reason why I love so much to 'analyzise' their old doings (that is, when the band still were a living and breathing band literally). You can hear and see so much going there. I also highly enjoy reading the takings of "Let It Rock" here.thumbs up

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 10:47 by Doxa.

Date: June 13, 2012 11:24

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

I didn't claim that 1978 version of "All Down The Line" is faster, more energetic and better or anything like that. In 1972 they nailed the song so naturally, I said "guitar-high", but you could say "coke-high" as wellgrinning smiley. The players were not even reached their thirties. They were transcendental, and the whole performance just flew. In contrast, that was replaced in 1978 by six years older players, who needed to show that they were as energetic as their younger rivals. That's why they sound to my ears like "pushing hard" - that is: trying to play as energetic as they can. This is especially heard in Mick's vocals. He uses rotten-like tricks. Just listen his phrasing, and fooling around. In 1972 nothing of that was needed. They played a fresh song with their natural ability as good as they can.

By the eway, things like these arethe reason why I love so much to 'analyzise' their old doings (that is, when the band still were a living and breathing band literally). You can hear and see so much going there. I also highly enjoy reading the takings of "Let It Rock" here.thumbs up

- Doxa

It is a myth that the Stones PLAYED punk in 1978. They played rock'n'roll as usual. However, their attitude, especially Mick's was totally influenced by the punks.

There is a big difference, though. The androgynity, sexiness and rapid switch between roughness and tenderness was nowhere to be found within the punk acts - but it was important for the Stones's, and in particular Mick's stage persona.

My comment regarding the playing in 1972 was more aimed at Tele.

My point: Music speaks louder than words. Listen to Rocks Off from Perth 1973. Then put on All Down The Line from Detroit in 1978. I think it sounds almost like it's from the same tour. There are several other examples - the difference isn't as huge as some people on this board claim.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:00

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

It is a myth that the Stones PLAYED punk in 1978. They played rock'n'roll as usual. However, their attitude, especially Mick's was totally influenced by the punks.

There is a big difference, though. The androgynity, sexiness and rapid switch between roughness and tenderness was nowhere to be found within the punk acts - but it was important for the Stones's, and in particular Mick's stage persona.

My point: Music speaks louder than words. Listen to Rocks Off from Perth 1973. Then put on All Down The Line from Detroit in 1978. I think it sounds almost like it's from the same tour. There are several other examples - the difference isn't as huge as some people on this board claim.

Exactly! I just listened again to Welcome To New York, the soundboard part of June 26, 1972. If you think the Stones where sloppy in ’78 then listen to All Down the Line from New York: what a train wreck! Faster than hell, Jagger shouts out the lyrics and misses half, Richards makes a couple of mistakes, and Taylor is out of tune. Still, I find it utterly fantastic, don’t get me wrong. But that’s what’s its all about: the Stones always where sloppy, that’s what’s makes it so utterly great.

My thing is, and Tele71 might have a point about me bleating on, I just find the band from ’75 to ’81 a better band over-all. Sure, Taylor is a fantastic lead player, but that’s not so interesting to me. There’s many more bands with a great rhythm guitarist and a great lead guitarist –from a musical stand point it is not that interesting to me anymore. What I find musically much more interesting is why the Stones where so good in 75 and 78: Watts and Wyman where much better in 78 than ever before, the Richards and Wood tandem was fabulous, and to me much more interesting than the separated Taylor and Richards.

I was in this Stones tribute band a lifetime ago. We noticed that it was much easier to replicate the Stones of the early 70’s than of the late 70’s. It was much easier to do a very good inspired-by-Taylor All Down the Line or Brown Sugar than to do a good When the Whip Comes Down or Miss You. And that to me is still amazing: listen to Miss You from Hampton: how can a band be so good? How can you have so much swing, while still begin raw and sexy and utterly R&R?

Mathijs

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:41

Doxa, Dandelion, Mathijs, 71 et al keep it up, this is a great thread!

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:43

DandelionPowderman
VT22

No thanks, try your luck in the local casino.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 13, 2012 13:51

And my input is nothing new just an opinion: they werent punk because they could not possibly be punk but they used their own serious approach to music in their counter attack on the music press and the record buying teens. Jagger left his out of fashion afro/andro image without hesitation and Keith jumped on board with the times. What made them kings in 1978. Then they jumped on board the new wave in 1979 but of course still sounding like the Stones at a cocktail party. They pulled off risky stunts like this because they were serious about the musicianship.

Date: June 13, 2012 13:51

I was in this Stones tribute band a lifetime ago. We noticed that it was much easier to replicate the Stones of the early 70’s than of the late 70’s. It was much easier to do a very good inspired-by-Taylor All Down the Line or Brown Sugar than to do a good When the Whip Comes Down or Miss You.

Mathijs

There's a simple explanation for that:
It's easier to copy a decent musician than an incompetent fool. In both cases you're always second best of course.

Date: June 13, 2012 14:00

VT22
DandelionPowderman
VT22

No thanks, try your luck in the local casino.

smiling smiley Nice nickname.

Casinos are illegal in my country. Your country is more liberal...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 14:01 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 13, 2012 14:32

Weaving (yeah, I know!) is in a way similar to the old free jazz-approach of playing music. At its best it's almost like telepathy. The downside is, however, that a song may be torn apart within seconds - when the communication between the musicians is breaking down.

The Stones at their peak (imo, that was in 1978-1981) mastered this form of playing, and got out the potential of it in a brilliant way.

I can understand the criticism, mainly by people who prefer a more separated approach - where the distinction between rhythm and lead guitars is clear and defined, like a freight train engine and the whistle.

I see what they are talking about when they describe the era of weaving as "sloppy", "incompetent", "less fluent", "no extended solos", "coked-up" etc.

Why? Simply because the classic rock-sound the fans loved disappeared. In the early 70s, The Stones on stage mainly played classic rock, with long guitar solos, hard riff-based, simple songs and a heavy sound.

All of a sudden the guitar solos went down the drain, and you never knew where the licks were coming from. No structure whatsoever. The band we all loved became incompetent fools. The musical brain of the band, Taylor, left after penning many masterpieces.

Jagger's melodic wonderment had also gone. Instead he started barking and could hardly remember the words. Bill and Charlie started to play swing instead of rock. The guitar players even changed their amps!

Keith, who enjoyed he's new freedom as a co-lead guitarist suddenly became a bad guitar player. In the early 70s, every tone he played mattered on the Berry-numbers. Now, he played generic, even polished, according to some Taylorite.

Ronnie Wood couldn't polish his own shoes, let alone tie them...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 14:34 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 13, 2012 16:11

If you don't claim ©-rights I'am gonna read this fairy tale to my children tonight.smileys with beer

Date: June 13, 2012 16:16

VT22
If you don't claim ©-rights I'am gonna read this fairy tale to my children tonight.smileys with beer

smileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: June 13, 2012 17:48

The only thing that seems apparent to me is that the Rolling Stones were still a very good band on stage and in the studio from 1969-1978. You change a player there are changes to be expected. Styles change anyway as people age. Would any of us have expected for the Stones to play songs the same way every time they play live? No chance. Few bands play songs note for note the same as a studio recording. If they did it would be boring for them. Small changes here and there, along with tempo changes should be expected and in some cases welcomed. That is just how music evolves. Bob Dylan is a good example. Neil Young, NRBQ to name others. I think you guys are over analyzing this stuff, but it sure beats reading the mean spirited Mick vs Keith BS....

Date: June 13, 2012 18:40

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
Mathijs
buffalo7478

Mathijs

Really? That's stretching it a bit, isn't it?

I have never said that Mick Taylor was a bore, but he wasn't the genius you present him as either. The Stones had as many off gigs with Taylor as they had in the early Wood-era - we have the boots to prove it.

I think you are mistaking sloppiness for looseness. It's not the same. When I listen to Oakland 69 (both shows), I hear perfection in one moment and extreme looseness in another. The same goes for the 78-shows. There are nothing sloppy about Beast Of Burden, Far Away Eyes or HTW. However, the looseness becomes very evident on some of the three chord-songs, just as it did with Taylor on board.

The way I get you: I think you are missing the great solos, and a more "singing" Jagger. I can understand that, but it has nothing to do with sloppiness.

It's a too easy musical analysis, just dismissing the tour as sloppy, imo.

You are misconstruing several of my comments. What I said about Taylor had to do with Keith and his mythologizing the "weaving" relationship with Wood vs. how he played with Taylor - they comment was not directed at you personally. I am not at all dismissive of the '78 tour - in fact I'm a fan of it. I just think much of the non-Some Girls material was indeed sloppier (not just looser - I do know the difference) than it had been previously. The preference for the Taylor-era versions of these songs has only partly to do with solos, and has much more to do with the groove and tightness of the band as a whole, as I have stated here many times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 18:53 by 71Tele.

Date: June 13, 2012 18:46

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
DandelionPowderman

- Doxa

Exactly! I just listened again to Welcome To New York, the soundboard part of June 26, 1972. If you think the Stones where sloppy in ’78 then listen to All Down the Line from New York: what a train wreck! Faster than hell, Jagger shouts out the lyrics and misses half, Richards makes a couple of mistakes, and Taylor is out of tune. Still, I find it utterly fantastic, don’t get me wrong. But that’s what’s its all about: the Stones always where sloppy, that’s what’s makes it so utterly great.

My thing is, and Tele71 might have a point about me bleating on, I just find the band from ’75 to ’81 a better band over-all. Sure, Taylor is a fantastic lead player, but that’s not so interesting to me. There’s many more bands with a great rhythm guitarist and a great lead guitarist –from a musical stand point it is not that interesting to me anymore. What I find musically much more interesting is why the Stones where so good in 75 and 78: Watts and Wyman where much better in 78 than ever before, the Richards and Wood tandem was fabulous, and to me much more interesting than the separated Taylor and Richards.

I was in this Stones tribute band a lifetime ago. We noticed that it was much easier to replicate the Stones of the early 70’s than of the late 70’s. It was much easier to do a very good inspired-by-Taylor All Down the Line or Brown Sugar than to do a good When the Whip Comes Down or Miss You. And that to me is still amazing: listen to Miss You from Hampton: how can a band be so good? How can you have so much swing, while still begin raw and sexy and utterly R&R?

Mathijs

I will agree on one thing, Mathijs, music indeed speaks louder than words. The band was far better a unit in '69 - '73 than it was in the Wood years. That doesn't mean they were perfect, and you can always point to a particular song as "evidence" that the band were also sloppy in the period I prefer. But those examples are exceptions to the rule. I was in a band that covered loads of Stones as well, and my experience was exactly the opposite: It was always easier to toss off the two-chord "When The Whip Comes Down" than to do a version of "All Down The Line" that compared favorably to the '72 or '73 live versions (or especially the studio version).

In the end, we like what we like. You have your preference, which is fine, but your musical arguments to support your preference have never moved me, as a musician or a Stones fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 18:55 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Jaggerbarking ()
Date: June 13, 2012 18:47

Nothing like tightness in the groove while weaving with swing.

Date: June 13, 2012 18:53

DandelionPowderman
Weaving (yeah, I know!) is in a way similar to the old free jazz-approach of playing music. At its best it's almost like telepathy. The downside is, however, that a song may be torn apart within seconds - when the communication between the musicians is breaking down.

The Stones at their peak (imo, that was in 1978-1981) mastered this form of playing, and got out the potential of it in a brilliant way.

I can understand the criticism, mainly by people who prefer a more separated approach - where the distinction between rhythm and lead guitars is clear and defined, like a freight train engine and the whistle.

I see what they are talking about when they describe the era of weaving as "sloppy", "incompetent", "less fluent", "no extended solos", "coked-up" etc.

Why? Simply because the classic rock-sound the fans loved disappeared. In the early 70s, The Stones on stage mainly played classic rock, with long guitar solos, hard riff-based, simple songs and a heavy sound.

All of a sudden the guitar solos went down the drain, and you never knew where the licks were coming from. No structure whatsoever. The band we all loved became incompetent fools. The musical brain of the band, Taylor, left after penning many masterpieces.

Jagger's melodic wonderment had also gone. Instead he started barking and could hardly remember the words. Bill and Charlie started to play swing instead of rock. The guitar players even changed their amps!

Keith, who enjoyed he's new freedom as a co-lead guitarist suddenly became a bad guitar player. In the early 70s, every tone he played mattered on the Berry-numbers. Now, he played generic, even polished, according to some Taylorite.

DP, it is very frustrating to those of us who passionately prefer the Taylor-era of the band to constantly be accusing of liking classic rock and extended solos. Personally I tend to dislike both. In fact I can't stand "rock" music. And there is a difference between preferring a guitarist because he played more (or extended) solos to preferring him in a certain group because he was simply a better musician and because the band played better with him in it. Taylor was simply a superior class of musician than Wood ever was, pure and simple, and THAT is the reason I prefer him as a member of the Stones and why I think the records and live shows are better with him than Wood.

I remind you that during the Wood years Wood often played just as many solos as Taylor ever did (some of them even "extended"). It's just that they were for the most part forgettable. So it seems to me that the Woodites use the fact that Taylor was a great soloist against Taylor, while not having any particular defense for Wood's often meaningless, meandering, or simply botched solos that we endured for so many years. Very odd logic, imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 18:57 by 71Tele.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 13, 2012 19:12

71Tele

I remind you that during the Wood years Wood often played just as many solos as Taylor ever did (some of them even "extended"). It's just that they were for the most part forgettable. So it seems to me that the Woodites use the fact that Taylor was a great soloist against Taylor, while not having any particular defense for Wood's often meaningless, meandering, or simply botched solos that we endured for so many years. Very odd logic, imo.

For what matters, I love Ronnie's solos (extended or not). Always did. I don't find them "meaningless, meandering, or simply botched". As a matter of fact his solos are just as great as Mick's.

C

Date: June 13, 2012 19:15

liddas
71Tele

For what matters, I love Ronnie's solos (extended or not). Always did. I don't find them "meaningless, meandering, or simply botched". As a matter of fact his solos are just as great as Mick's.

C

If you say so.

Date: June 13, 2012 19:50

71Tele
liddas
71Tele

C

If you say so.

I am trying to follow your logic ("Taylor was simply a superior class of musician than Wood ever was, pure and simple")

C

Posted by: Jaggerbarking ()
Date: June 13, 2012 20:31

I think Ronnie weaves into Charlie's swing.

Date: June 13, 2012 20:56

liddas
71Tele
liddas
71Tele

C

If you say so.

I am trying to follow your logic ("Taylor was simply a superior class of musician than Wood ever was, pure and simple")

C

And he was. You have the records, right?

Date: June 13, 2012 21:32

DandelionPowderman

Surely that is a myth but I don't think that has never been claimed that The Stones played punk but more that of being influenced by punk. There is a huge difference.

Actually, as a young kid I digged the punk - or was a punkgrinning smiley - before I get to The Stones, and after the former happened, I could never recognize any actual punk from their sound. For young punk's eyes SOME GIRLS is mostly main stream rock and roll, with one disco song, for older folks (there is even a bloody c&w song there which Jagger tries to save with attitudegrinning smiley). But there is no anger, the angst, the rawness, the intrumental straight-forwardness, the attitude, in nowhere in SOME GIRLS. "Lies" tries something to that direction but surely will not charm any punks by punkian terms. Actually if there is any real punk that might be found in their early records. There is more punk in "Not Fade Away", "Get Off of My Cloud" or "19th Nervous Breakdown" than anywhere in SOME GIRLS. (Jagger also made similar comment at the time when punk made its breakthrough)

Like I said in "Lies" thread, it is impossible to even think that the sublime rhythm section consitsing of Watts, Wyman and Richards could ever made any real punk. They have much more nuances, the groove and swing going on to even think in those terms. What you said of Jagger's persona makes the same point. By 1977/78 the Stones were way too sophisticated and many-dimensional, experienced players, knowing too much of music and authentic genres, to play "pure" punk. And they never really tried.

But like I have claimed the punk influenced them in attitudewise; for example, getting rid of their long rock anthems, and reducing their game to more rocking, back to basics stuff, and, most of all, gave them the license of looseness in their playing. I think punk did mentally were good for The Stones, both in studio and live. I think they actually saw in punk of their own past which I believe smomehow funnily made them feel flattered, after years trying to cope with the super player rock bands and seeing whatever progressive rock movements and "seriousness". The attitude of the punks had similarities to their own rebellious days when they piss anywhere, man... that also was present in their own music when they actually were rather raw and unsophistiated players but with their determination and sheer will made it all work.

Besides, the punk made the team-player rhythm guitarist the musical hero of the band - guess who benefitted most of that reputationwise...grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 23:46 by Doxa.

Date: June 13, 2012 21:39

71Tele
DandelionPowderman

DP, it is very frustrating to those of us who passionately prefer the Taylor-era of the band to constantly be accusing of liking classic rock and extended solos. Personally I tend to dislike both. In fact I can't stand "rock" music. And there is a difference between preferring a guitarist because he played more (or extended) solos to preferring him in a certain group because he was simply a better musician and because the band played better with him in it. Taylor was simply a superior class of musician than Wood ever was, pure and simple, and THAT is the reason I prefer him as a member of the Stones and why I think the records and live shows are better with him than Wood.

Tele71, I think you should read this post again - this time with an open mind and a happier attitude. I´m taking the piss at myself here, as well as at Amsterdamned, you, Doxa and a few others.

It was a joke. I´m sorry if it came across as accusations or criticism.

Well, now it´s the awful truth. I´m not a good stand up-comedian smiling smiley

PS: There are more chords in When The Whip Comes Down than in All Down The Line winking smiley

Date: June 13, 2012 21:48

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-13 21:49 by Doxa.

Date: June 13, 2012 22:14

71Tele
liddas
71Tele
liddas
71Tele

C

If you say so.

C

And he was. You have the records, right?

I think so. Will control tonight!

C

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1496
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home