Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Would Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, And Honky Tonk Women, Be Considered Great If Released Today?
Date: June 7, 2012 18:34

Just curious. How much did the time period contribute to the so called "greatness" of these songs? How would they be viewed if they had been released in 2005 for example on ABB? And how would Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief been received if they had been released in the late sixties or early seventies?

Re: Would Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, And Honky Tonk Women, Be Considered Great If Released Today?
Posted by: STUFAN ()
Date: June 7, 2012 18:36

Yes, but only if released by Lady Gaga.

Re: Would Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, And Honky Tonk Women, Be Considered Great If Released Today?
Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 7, 2012 18:44

Depends if today was like when the songs were released.
You have to have timeperspective included.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:01

Maybe, maybe not. People today just hate new music from bands or artists that have been around ten years more. They simply don't like it because it's "new." I should say a good number of people. I heard some friends of mine who are Neon Trees fans say they like their old stuff better. Old stuff?! Their old stuff is from 2010!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:10

The songs would still be the songs.

But they would be up against all those other songs and bands that immitated them.

Unless if the songs not being released in 1969 meant that they were not immitated in which case there would be no competition so they would be fresh and original, but then the band might have split up in 1975 and the songs not written today...

This is one for Albert Einstein.

Posted by: nomis ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:16

yes

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:22

Garble snork didwiddum parvesostiz. Marg jewansut nonkgloodle?

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:28

I'd say it's more about the production you would have got in a specific era. For example Honky Tonk Women with the drum sound from Dirty Work woulda stunk the house out.

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: June 7, 2012 19:33

The answer is a- YES, whatevr year they were released.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 7, 2012 20:41

Of course. Songs that imitate them are considered "great" so these would too. Mind you, there is an argument to be had that in order to be considered great the band would still have to be relevant to the young generation at the time. But if the stones released a new song of that quality now I have no doubt everyone would dig it and yes it would be great.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 7, 2012 21:36

satisfaction is ok but overrated, honky tonk woman is way overrated as its average at best.

brown sugar is excellent and one of the best ever stones songs.

cant see what all the fuss is about out of control, its below average.

saint of me is crap and embarrassing to be considered a stones song.

but its all about opinions, although i think people like saint of me because they are biased towards new stuff and wanted the stones to have a recent good record.

its amazing all the great stones songs that dont get the recognition it deserves.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 7, 2012 21:53

No doubt : Yes.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:01

yes, next question

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:19

Marmalade sputum. Vegamite crevices. Spam and pineapple loading docks.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:21

Would Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, And Honky Tonk Women, Be Considered Great If Released Today?

You mean all 3 songs released on one day ? Oh yeah baby

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: June 7, 2012 22:27

Send It To me
yes, next question

What about the Out Of Control Saint Of Me, etc. question?

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: June 7, 2012 22:53

How would saint of me have been received had it been released by a new band? I think its a great song but I find it hard to objective in this way. One of the problems with latter day stones stuff is lack of radio play and exposure to the public. Maybe one of the reasons those early songs are viewed as great is because they were heard by a much wider audience.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:01

Let me think about that for a while.

Posted by: SaigonVoodoo ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:50

If Justin Bieber ever covers these, I'll just blow my brains out sad smiley

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:51

Absolutely.

However a segment of this board would strongly disagree since they think that most anything after the mid 70's or 1978 is garbage.

Posted by: ChefGuevara ()
Date: June 8, 2012 03:53

How about "Moves like Jagger" if it had been released in 1965?

Date: June 8, 2012 05:42

ChefGuevara
How about "Moves like Jagger" if it had been released in 1965?

Would have been huge if performed by Herman's Hermits.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 07:12

I'm reminded me of a PARTRIDGE FAMILY rerun where Danny Partridge had his sister, Laurie, for a substitute teacher. And Laurie gave him bad grades on everything. So he finally submitted a piece of writing—secretly authored by Ernest Hemingway—and she gave him a "D." Because she thought it was by Danny Partridge. Some Stones "fans" would give a thumbs down to the above songs no matter what if they thought they were post-Mick-Taylor (or whatever their personal "demarcation point" of decline in the Stones career might be).

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 07:30

Title5Take1
I'm reminded me of a PARTRIDGE FAMILY rerun where Danny Partridge had his sister, Laurie, for a substitute teacher. And Laurie gave him bad grades on everything. So he finally submitted a piece of writing—secretly authored by Ernest Hemingway—and she gave him a "D." Because she thought it was by Danny Partridge. Some Stones "fans" would give a thumbs down to the above songs no matter what if they thought they were post-Mick-Taylor (or whatever their personal "demarcation point" of decline in the Stones career might be).

This is sort of a mushy example. What was the *specific* piece of prose Danny submitted that was authored by EH? Just because EH wrote it doesn't mean it automatically warrants a grade higher than a D. Look, I do happen to like EH. But "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is light years worse than it now gets credit for, on the strength of The Sun Also Rises and gems like A Clean, Well-Lighted Place. A turd can still be a turd, regardless of the author.

[Kind of like Keith soloing on SFTD post '90!!]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-08 20:20 by rocker1.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 10:05

The songs would be the same great songs of course, but no way they would have the same impact, since the position of music as such is completely different.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: June 8, 2012 18:07

MightyStonesStillRollin50
Just curious. How much did the time period contribute to the so called "greatness" of these songs? How would they be viewed if they had been released in 2005 for example on ABB? And how would Out Of Control, Saint Of Me, and Thief been received if they had been released in the late sixties or early seventies?

They don't belong on today's radio. They'd either disappear, not get played
( most likely ) or completely take the airwaves by storm ( least likely ).
One reason they'd never click is they're a relatively boring act visually.
None can dance, really. Today, music is largely a visual act, not musical.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: June 8, 2012 18:26

Exile was rereleased and went to No1. Yes I'm sure they would - a classic is a classic for ever, anyway you could say this about any old number drinking smiley

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: June 8, 2012 18:50

uhbuhgullayew
Absolutely.

However a segment of this board would strongly disagree since they think that most anything after the mid 70's or 1978 is garbage.

Nobody says it's garbage - just out of time.

Take the lyrics - is Satisfaction anything special today? Would Let's spend the night together make headlines because of the lyrics, would there be any censorship, no way. 50 years have gone since the innocent 50/60'ies and the world is completely different.

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: June 8, 2012 20:05

I am still considering this question, but am not ready to comment at this time.

Date: June 8, 2012 20:45

mitchflorida1
I am still considering this question, but am not ready to comment at this time.

Take your time, lots of "down time" still ahead.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home