Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Shooting Off Their Mouths
Posted by: stonesnow ()
Date: June 3, 2012 06:03

A collection of quotes from Mick, Keith, and Charlie on their opinions of other musicians/recording artists over the years. Didn't know Charlie was a Prince fan.

www.timeisonourside.com/musictaste.html

Re: Shooting Off Their Mouths
Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: June 3, 2012 06:15

From the link:

RAP

I mean, I've had enough of bloody rap. (Imitates rap over knee-slapped beat.) I mean, Mary had a little lamb, her fleece was white as @#$%& snow. What's the attraction of that? This is kindergarten shit. It's like karaoke. But I'm making records that people can listen to. Obviously, the attraction is there, until they all shoot each other - and they're doing a good job of it. If you want to hear good rap, you should listen to early Jamaican dub, which is some really interesting stuff. At least they didn't keep it to just one meter.

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

Date: June 3, 2012 07:09

Keith on Bruce Springsteen:
That's a tough one, because I like the GUY... I love his attitude. I love what he WANTS to do. I just think he's gone about it the wrong way. These are just my opinions, and OK, I'll annoy the lot of you. Bruce? Too contrived for me. Too overblown.

Yes, very well said Keith!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 07:10 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 3, 2012 14:07

uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

I mean, I've had enough of bloody rap. (Imitates rap over knee-slapped beat.) I mean, Mary had a little lamb, her fleece was white as @#$%& snow. What's the attraction of that? This is kindergarten shit. It's like karaoke. But I'm making records that people can listen to. Obviously, the attraction is there, until they all shoot each other - and they're doing a good job of it. If you want to hear good rap, you should listen to early Jamaican dub, which is some really interesting stuff. At least they didn't keep it to just one meter.

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

Actually I see it kind of sad the old man and professional in the business has the need to bash the music teenagers listen to. That as uncool at it could be. Some dignity, please.

- Doxa

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 3, 2012 21:21

Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

Actually I see it kind of sad the old man and professional in the business has the need to bash the music teenagers listen to. That as uncool at it could be. Some dignity, please.

- Doxa

Keith's entitled to his opinion especially as he's right - in my opinion!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: June 3, 2012 21:47

Harlem Shuffler
Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

- Doxa

Not mine, I'm with Doxa (once again). It's a man who's bascially saying...

"I don't understand where music is at anymore. Mick has his finger on the PULSE of today's culture - and I don't. So instead of having an open mind I'm going to trash something I have NO understanding of, and sound like a complete ignorant old ass doing it. And all those twit-fans/worshippers of mine who are as out-of-touch as me are going to raise their fists in agreement because they eat up any bull$#!t I say. To them it all sounds like 'Gold rings got that swing with the blade and tigers and Chuck Berry songs for dead blondes and snort me dad, baby, etc' Anyways, read my book yet?".

I remember this quote, among others.
Yup, 1997. The year I stopped caring about anything Keith Richrads says.

[thepowergoats.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-03 21:49 by jamesfdouglas.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 3, 2012 21:57

Sorry, but Keith Richards is 100% correct about Rap. It should have ran its course, like rockabilly, and moved on after about 1986. Hip Hop is not rap. Rolling Stone magazine recommends singles to hear in every issue and invariably they recommend a couple new rap records, usually something by Kayne West and the Flavor of the Month. Kanye West keeps being reported as a genius, and to quote Steely Dan, "I still don't know what you mean".

Then the Flavor of the Month rap single sounds exactly like the last Flavor of the Month. Rap started out really interesting with Grandmaster Flash and LL Cool J and others, but was a spent force by the late 80s at best. I just shake my head and wonder what kind of audience doesnt' expect more from their artists?

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: June 3, 2012 21:59

jamesfdouglas
Harlem Shuffler
Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

- Doxa

"I don't understand where music is at anymore. Mick has his finger on the PULSE of today's culture - and I don't. So instead of having an open mind I'm going to trash something I have NO understanding of, and sound like a complete ignorant old ass doing it. And all those twit-fans/worshippers of mine who are as out-of-touch as me are going to raise their fists in agreement because they eat up any bull$#!t I say. To them it all sounds like 'Gold rings got that swing with the blade and tigers and Chuck Berry songs for dead blondes and snort me dad, baby, etc' Anyways, read my book yet?".

Well, if the example of the "pulse of today's culture" that Mick did with will.i.am is anything to go by, it's in need of intensive care. Better still, put it out of its misery.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 3, 2012 22:09

Let's give Keith a break here. He is not likely intentionally bashing the music teenagers listen to. He was probably ASKED the question in an interview. What is he supposed to do, tell a lie? I like Keith because he indeed tells it like it is and in this case I concur with both his opinions. It is refreshing to have someone honestly tell you how they feel even when it may not be politically correct. Talk on Keith, you always put a smile on my face.

Rap is too simple rhtyhmically and too violent and chick disrespecting for me. I like some of the very early Beastie Boys and such but most those Compton boyz do nothing to raise my vibration.

Bruce Springsteen is too contrived and overblown. That is a simple truth as far as I can hear. Besides Rosalita and Bird on a Wire I can't stand the dude's music, just doesn't cut it. He is the biggest poser on the planet as far as I can tell. He had his chance and after 30+ years still hasn't been able to ring my bell. A rock journalist's dream and a rock affectionado's nightmare. peace

Date: June 3, 2012 22:25

Did you make up the word affectionado?

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 3, 2012 22:40

I don't think so, you knew what I meant didn't you? peace

Date: June 3, 2012 23:05

jamesfdouglas
Harlem Shuffler
Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

- Doxa

Oh that's golden there!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 4, 2012 00:04

....it'd be a groove if Doxa and jamesf listed their top 50 rap albums....Hey ho

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: June 4, 2012 00:59

How about this for fun...Name bands/groups that Keith Richards has slammed.

Here is one from NME, "They're trying to be somebody else and they ain't being themselves. Libertines, Arctic Monkeys, Bloc Party? Load of crap. Posers, rubbish. There ain't nothing out there worth sh**. I don't listen to bullsh**."

Or gave props to... Maybe not even Keith quotes...take your pick. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: pennyharp ()
Date: June 4, 2012 01:40

I can't help it...this is Henry Rollins speaking on the same subject...really bad language (in case that kind of thing bothers you)

video: [youtu.be]

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 4, 2012 02:09

Looks to me that the only one who hasn't got a distinct conservative taste in music in the group is Mick. Keith, with reggae as only exception, is stuck in the 50s and hasn't anything positive to say about any new group formed later than that. Bill and Charlie are into boogie-woogie and rockabilly. Mick T never left the late 60s bluesrock. So you can say they are children of their time. Their taste in music was molded in the early 60s in London.

Posted by: Denny ()
Date: June 4, 2012 02:58

Exactly - and true about the single reggae "exception" that Richards makes, too! Anyway, KR thinking that hip-hop is all "Mary had a little lamb" (where did he get that idea from?) is never going to be relevant to anyone who KNOWS hip-hop. It reminds me when George Harrison was saying the same nonsense in the eighties. Chuck D's reply in the press was "I would take it to heart if it was Lennon or McCartney ... but (Harrison is) third string, maybe fourth string behind Ringo". Nice little comeback there.

Of course, like much commercial rock music, the bulk of commercial-minded hip-hop is in fact totally banal, but anyway...

The bizarre thing is that even though Jagger has always been into RnB, club music, and all manner of esoteric weird stuff from around the world, when he makes solo records, he gets ROB THOMAS of all people to help him out (making the Rhythm Kings sound like musical revolutionaries in the process)! Even in Superheavy, all those varied influences from everyone just didn't add up to anything "different". Funny how conservative he has been in regards to his own career - apart from some awesome left-field things like a few of the "Undercover" tracks etc (yes, I know a lot of people hate those, blah blah blah)...

Date: June 4, 2012 03:06

Rap is not hip hop. Hip Hop is danceable and has some interesting changes and has progressed to include worldwide sounds. Rap is Lil Wayne.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 4, 2012 13:51

Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

- Doxa

Yeah I hate those Keithisms that just make him look stupid.

Date: June 4, 2012 20:11

By the way, I like that website this whole thread started with. I found a Chronicles section that has a lot of quotes from the various band members year by year. I'm up to 1979 and working forward.

Posted by: gimmelittledrink ()
Date: June 4, 2012 20:38

Frank Sinatra said something similar about rock fifty years ago.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 4, 2012 21:15

he does look completely ridiculous saying something like that but in comes from what i now call keith2.

keith1 was from 1962-1980,played guitar in the rolling stones and was always at least in the top 5 coolest people on the planet.

keith2 is 1980-present.he has an opinion on everything and cant wait to tell you about it.

i dont listen to rap music but i'm not gonna sit here and tell you how terrible something is that i know nothing about.

i do like the stories of the lives of some of those guys though.even if its not your thing the" behind the music" shows are not to be missed. just amazing that some of them are alive with the odds they faced.and they'll show you actual bullet wounds too.the little millionare talking tough about pulling his blade ends up looking a bit silly in this context.keith2 doesnt need a muzzle but a filter might help.

chris rock had a funny line about that-"if you're a 40 year old white guy rap was not made for you,if there is a rap song you like its probably the worst rap song ever made"

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: June 4, 2012 22:41

i did'nt realize mick does'nt think much of aerosmith.wow

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2012 22:43

Harlem Shuffler
Doxa
uhbuhgullayew
From the link:

RAP

- Keith Richards, 1997

All right Keith!!

- Doxa

This board has a lot of grumpy old men.

Date: June 4, 2012 22:44

Denny
Exactly - and true about the single reggae "exception" that Richards makes, too! Anyway, KR thinking that hip-hop is all "Mary had a little lamb" (where did he get that idea from?) is never going to be relevant to anyone who KNOWS hip-hop. It reminds me when George Harrison was saying the same nonsense in the eighties. Chuck D's reply in the press was "I would take it to heart if it was Lennon or McCartney ... but (Harrison is) third string, maybe fourth string behind Ringo". Nice little comeback there.

Of course, like much commercial rock music, the bulk of commercial-minded hip-hop is in fact totally banal, but anyway...

The bizarre thing is that even though Jagger has always been into RnB, club music, and all manner of esoteric weird stuff from around the world, when he makes solo records, he gets ROB THOMAS of all people to help him out (making the Rhythm Kings sound like musical revolutionaries in the process)! Even in Superheavy, all those varied influences from everyone just didn't add up to anything "different". Funny how conservative he has been in regards to his own career - apart from some awesome left-field things like a few of the "Undercover" tracks etc (yes, I know a lot of people hate those, blah blah blah)...

Love Undercover, especially Undercover of the Night. Just so unique.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 4, 2012 22:51

...and what exactly has Mick said or done to show how much he loves rap?...besides of course that small bit he did with Bernard on "Anybody Seen My Baby?"

The only difference is that Mick hasn't been quoted about his thoughts on rap but if he were...he would sugar coat his answer way more neutral than Keith did. So now we're throwing tomatoes at Keith just because he expressed himself honestly? He was writing some pretty good music in 1997 so the dude has license to say whatever the f he wants. Why anyone is taking his comments so bloody seriously is beyond me. What do I care what he thinks of rap? I don't need his approval to like or hate it.

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: June 4, 2012 23:55

Justin
...and what exactly has Mick said or done to show how much he loves rap?...besides of course that small bit he did with Bernard on "Anybody Seen My Baby?"

The only difference is that Mick hasn't been quoted about his thoughts on rap but if he were...he would sugar coat his answer way more neutral than Keith did. So now we're throwing tomatoes at Keith just because he expressed himself honestly? He was writing some pretty good music in 1997 so the dude has license to say whatever the f he wants. Why anyone is taking his comments so bloody seriously is beyond me. What do I care what he thinks of rap? I don't need his approval to like or hate it.

I am too lazy to look for the exact quotes, but during the publicity for Surperheavy and Some Girls reissue Mick talked about his love for rap - in the context of talking about the songs he did with D. Marley or how he studied the rap scene in the late 70s (the results are evident in the Shattered)

I do not think Jagger sugar coats his views. There are people who know how to express their opinion without sound rude or disrespectful, this is achieved by education, intelligence and experience. This is called dignity.

You do a mistake, Justin (as Richards himself though) replacing the honesty with vulgarity

Date: June 5, 2012 03:04

proudmary
Justin

I am too lazy to look for the exact quotes, but during the publicity for Surperheavy and Some Girls reissue Mick talked about his love for rap - in the context of talking about the songs he did with D. Marley or how he studied the rap scene in the late 70s (the results are evident in the Shattered)

I do not think Jagger sugar coats his views. There are people who know how to express their opinion without sound rude or disrespectful, this is achieved by education, intelligence and experience. This is called dignity.

You do a mistake, Justin (as Richards himself though) replacing the honesty with vulgarity

Good on ya PM. I was going to construct a reply but you've about covered it.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: June 5, 2012 05:29

its good to be anywhere
Keith on Bruce Springsteen:
That's a tough one, because I like the GUY... I love his attitude. I love what he WANTS to do. I just think he's gone about it the wrong way. These are just my opinions, and OK, I'll annoy the lot of you. Bruce? Too contrived for me. Too overblown.

Yes, very well said Keith!!

Over many years I have read different musical publications featuring interviews with Keith Richards. Although I have thrown away many of these (in an effort to reduce my packrat tendencies), I tended to notice that when asked about other musicians, Keith more often than not tended to be disparaging. This inclination was confirmed even more when reading Bill German's Under Their Thumb. To quote Bill from the chapter "Mick and Keith on the Couch", pg 219: "Mick's desire to be hip and well connected might have driven Keith crazy...In the seven years since the band last toured (referring from 1982-89), Mick had investgated a lot of new music and had affiliated with a lot of young and successful bands. He was intent on bringing that to bear on the Stones. Keith, of course, rejected that notion. He viewed Mick's musical cronies (Duran Duran, Paul Young, Eurythmics) as flavors of the month..." Per Bill German, "If there was one thing that bugged me about Keith, it was that he could be too dismissive when it came to new music. If you weren't a hunchbacked blind black dude from the Mississippi Delta, Keith wasn't interested in you."

Now, this next thought may certainly piss some people off on this board, but as long as we have opened up this topic, so be it. When it comes to Bruce (who it is no secret that I think is a great entertainer/musician/songwriter), in my humble opinion, I have always felt that the Stones were jealous of him and that probably goes back to the 1970's. I remember reading an article in Rolling Stone covering the Some Girls tour in 78 (it has been a long time so I'm not certain if the correspondent was Chet Flippo?) Anyway, the author had surmised and reported in RS that people in the Stones camp were clearly pissed that even though the Stones were selling the tickets, it was Springsteen who was getting the rave reviews (at the time he was touring Darkness). So yes, I can understand why dear Mr. Richards would want to diss the Boss or anybody that he deems a threat to swiping the Rolling Stones crown...

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: June 5, 2012 05:40

proudmary
Justin

hey that's great...but that still doesn't cover why I should care a rat's ass what Keith has to say about rap. If everyone here really wanted to distance themselves from "vulgar" Keith and prove that he doesn't represent whatever you must think about other music styles---why even give him credit for the crap he says?

In the meantime, I'm very pleased that Mick Jagger can be the music dignitary for you and many others on this board who so need someone to look up to for respect and wisdom--not to mention guidance. God Bless Mick Jagger for listening to rap and having some dignity. For shame, Keith Richards. For shame....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home