Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot new dylan album due this fall
Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 2, 2012 16:29

that´s it

Re: ot new dylan album due this fall
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: June 2, 2012 17:00

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 2, 2012 19:04

Dylan never ceases to amaze. The man's drive is incredible!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: June 2, 2012 19:13

Gotta admire his work ethic.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: June 2, 2012 19:20

Even if I hoped the album to come out earlier, I am liooking forward to hear Dylan and his band in July.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: June 2, 2012 19:24

Hey Windy,

It'll be a good show. Don't expect anything. He may do what you think,
he may not. Remember, Neil Young took a cue from Dylan. When we saw him
in NE America five years back, he played keys nearly the entire night.
Good fun, and no small helping of new arrangements.

Annuder ting: "Modern Times" rocked.

Date: June 2, 2012 19:38

Hello Buzzherd,

I heard him last year, I hope he will be in a good mood, his band is brilliant anyway. There are some special impressions from the recent Latin America tour on the net.

Date: June 2, 2012 20:28

71Tele
Gotta admire his work ethic.

Absolutely.

Date: June 2, 2012 20:29

pmk251
Dylan never ceases to amaze. The man's drive is incredible!

There was something in the water back in the sixties!

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 2, 2012 21:08

Dylan's working ethics might be admirable, but sure not all his output. "Time out of mind" was a late masterpiece, but the albums since have been major disappointments (but have always won acclaim from the critics). Even his diletante paintings won some critical acclaim, when exposed in Copenhagen (at the esteemed National Gallery of Denmark [www.smk.dk] ). And even the christmas-cd was hailed, and even literature critics thought he ought to have the Nobel Price in literature...

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 2, 2012 21:18

The albums after Time out of Mind were not dissapointments for me at all.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 2, 2012 21:52

GetYerAngie,
You are out of your head on this one. TOOM was just the beginning; "Love and Theft" was even better. The next two had some great songs but didn't match those first two.

I personally think "Love and Theft" was one of the best albums of the decade.

T@3

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: June 2, 2012 22:14

TeaAtThree
GetYerAngie,
You are out of your head on this one. TOOM was just the beginning; "Love and Theft" was even better. The next two had some great songs but didn't match those first two.

I personally think "Love and Theft" was one of the best albums of the decade.

T@3

no, TOOM ended the phase in dylans life, to have producers . LAT was his first real "Solo"Album he said. TOOM was heavily edited and put together by Lanois while Dylan was in hospital in the end. He said he doesn´t like it and the songs of it should sound like he plays them live. So Love sick and Highlands are the only ones sounding equal to their live renditions.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 2, 2012 22:26

Great news indeed, there is never too many Dylan albums. (Though I have to admit I skipped the Christmas one, after I had heard some short clips). I am really looking forward to the new one (and to seeing him the next month again after 4 years).

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: June 2, 2012 22:43

Love Dylan, saw him in '99 and loved it. Great show. I do have trouble though, with his voice these days, especially on studio tracks. Not as nasal as in the 80's, but I have trouble with the gargliness. I do believe critics have been too kind to him when reviewing recent studio albums. He is a legend, a brilliant songwriter, and it's great he's still touring but I admit to constantly wanting to drink water and clear my throat when I listen to his recent material.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 2, 2012 23:47

Time Out of Mind is a MASTERPIECE.

The albums that followed (except the X-mas cd) are semi-masterpieces.

And hopefully the new one will also be a semi-masterpiece, if not a masterpiece.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-02 23:48 by Hairball.

Date: June 2, 2012 23:52

Tate, my problem is that I want to drink when listrening to his fantastic recent albums, but no water!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-02 23:53 by windmelody.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: June 3, 2012 05:09

GetyerAngie - Love and Theft is possibly my favorite Dylan album ever it is shear musical brilliance. Modern Times is good but not great. His latter day output is a lot more intersting than what our hero Mick comes up with for lyrics. Check the lyrics of Oh No Not You Again and Rough Justice decent songs but really is that all Jagger can come with in his sixties???

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 3, 2012 15:00

I agree with GetyerAngie.

The albums after TOOM has been letdowns in every department.
I simply can't figure out why people admire these albums. It's traditional blues-based stuff without any melody.

As always fine lyrics indeed, but for me there has to be something more to it than just bluesgrooves.

There has to be strong melodies also, and I think Dylan in general has slipped away way too easy on many of his albums, with traditional blues without any melody other than his rasp-voice.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: June 3, 2012 21:59

Blueranger, I see your point. One could argue that the last albums are derivative, but "Love and Theft" in particular feels like the great American songbook to me. There are songs from so many different styles, that I feel like I'm spanning the decades when I listen to it.
T@3

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 3, 2012 22:23

Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Together Through Life are all amazing albums. I find them all challenging (in a good way) both musically and lyrically. His ravaged voice is still a good foil for the deeper emotions of advancing age. He's unfettered by any expectations to sound a certain way, unlike the Stones, and therefore he's free to experiment. He can change musicians, do anything, play tejano, play whatever. That he's having these late career artistic triumphs is in deep contrast to the Stones recorded output since Voodoo Lounge.

I can't say that I play Dylan's last 4 albums over and over. I usually play them through once and then get back to them when I can. But that's more a problem with my changing listening habits. I generally listen to and put together compilations of different artists now. I have the new Jack White CD and I've enjoyed a few cuts and I played it through in the car once and I want to spend more time with it, but haven't found the time. The days of sitting down and giving my complete attention to one artists entire new CD is difficult now. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with their work, it means I don't have the attention span I once had.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: June 4, 2012 02:10

I actually prefer Love and Theft to Time Out of Mind. And 'Workingman's Blues' from Modern Times is probably my favorite late-era Dylan song, up there with 'Things Have Changed' from Wonder Boys Soundtrack and 'Not Dark Yet' which is a real tour de force from TOOM.

Together Through Life was a step back, IMO. Hopefully this new release will be better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-06-04 02:12 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: June 4, 2012 07:40

Name another performer who originated in the sixties who has a better output of albums the last 15 years

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: June 4, 2012 08:24

doubledoor
Name another performer who originated in the sixties who has a better output of albums the last 15 years

smileys with beer

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 4, 2012 08:26

24FPS
doubledoor

smileys with beer

OK, Johnny Cash!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: June 4, 2012 08:37

Come On
24FPS
doubledoor

smileys with beer

OK, Johnny Cash!

Oh yes, I also find his American recordings (we discuss the last 20 years then) even better than the late Dylan recordings. When The Man Comes Around being my favourite.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 4, 2012 08:41

Happy24
Come On
24FPS
doubledoor

smileys with beer

OK, Johnny Cash!

Oh yes, I also find his American recordings (we discuss the last 20 years then) even better than the late Dylan recordings. When The Man Comes Around being my favourite.

I have Dylans 'Time out of Mind' and 'Modern Times' on a Dylan Top 5-list, but Johnny Cash's first 5 American albums is his Top 5...smiling smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: June 4, 2012 11:27

I love Cash and Dylan...but Cash originated in the 50s.

But you're right. I can't think of another artist from so long ago that had stronger recent albums.

Willie Nelson has had a great output for the last 15 years.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: June 4, 2012 12:35

slew
GetyerAngie - Love and Theft is possibly my favorite Dylan album ever it is shear musical brilliance. Modern Times is good but not great. His latter day output is a lot more intersting than what our hero Mick comes up with for lyrics. Check the lyrics of Oh No Not You Again and Rough Justice decent songs but really is that all Jagger can come with in his sixties???

I do not agree. "Time Out Of Mind" is undisputedly a latterday masterpiece in the Dylan-oeuvre - it might not surpass Desire and Blood on the tracks, but it is majestic - and the production is magnificent. It might have helped a lot that His Bobness was at hospital.
I had great exspectations to "Love and Theft" and was so utterly disappointed. I think the music is tame. And sometimes even dinner-music like. Yes there are grooves and blues and texmex and so on on the Dylans post-TOOM-albums, but they do not engage me. And lyrically he does not at all impress like poets like John Ashbery, Henri Cole and Anne Carson can. That's just another league.
Lyrically I was in fact impressed by Jagger's lyrics on "It won't take long". And
To my ears the best stuff on ABB (Laugh I Nearly Died, It won't take long, Rain Fall Down, Oh no not you again) far surpassed the best (of which there were so little) on Love and Theft and Modern Times, maybe not lyrically, but as songs, tracks. And the last time I saw Dylan in concert was unbearable - his band was really good but he wasn't able to sing. Throatnoice, but no singing. And still excellent reviews in the newspapers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1731
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home