Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7
Re: The Washington Times: It’s the truth - Lately Richards is more like a parasite.
Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 19, 2012 00:02

TeddyB1018
Honestman
Jagger has a tiny todger
Keith is a parasite
What the @#$%& ???
These two guys are , were and will stay in my mind as The Glimmer Twins.
The best team of the greatest rock'n'roll band ever.

Yes! FFS, the best team of the rock and roll era and both indispensable to the greatness of the Rolling Stones. As Charlie Watts says, the only two that are indispensable. I love 'em both. This board is so depressing.

And yes, the bitchy and childish behavior of the two of them toward each other has encouraged this stuff.

The problem is that the later said some journalist
The former Richards himself .
Unfortunately Richards, and no one else has made the largest contribution to the destruction of the image of Jagger/ Richards creative partnership as the greatest one in the history of pop music.

Re: The Washington Times: It’s the truth - Lately Richards is more like a parasite.
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 19, 2012 00:13

Maybe i reacted to this article because it reminded me of typical speculation threads around here. I didn't think regular newspapers published such material. But obviously some do.
Maybe that's a market for some regular posters around here? I'm sure it pays off better...

Re: The Washington Times: It’s the truth - Richards is more like a parasite.
Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 19, 2012 00:24

proudmary
SweetThing
While Proud Mary seems not so much a Stones fan to me, but rather a Jagger disciple

First, how it relates to the article?
Second, what makes you think so - all I said on this board boils down to what is written in this article( or in Jagger article in New York Times) and unlike the author I never called him a parasite.
Is is possible to criticize Richards without speaking first about how great he is?
Yes, I believe that by trying to destroy Mick's reputation Richards damaged the Stones legacy
But I do not think it makes me less a fan than you or others.

Fair enough PM.

I suppose I just haven't noticed you posting much apart from Jagger, and in particular Richards antipathy towards Jagger and related immaturity. On those matters I happen to (mostly) agree with you.

The matter of some suggesting the tiny penis bit is not important to either Mick or Keith is dodging the issue I think. I don't doubt neither Keith nor Mick really care overmuch per se, but a reasonable person might suspect Jagger has to be wondering to himself (if he hasn't already for decades, and I for one think he has been wondering) - "why should I keep putting myself through all this drama with Keith??..." The obvious answer is their shared interest in the Stones, and probably not "friendship"/"marriage"/"brothers" or whatever malarkey Keef keeps bringing to the table... but it must get more difficult as the years go by, and Keef's contributions wane... Well, that's my opinion at least.

Anyway, I stand corrected on your fan status. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-19 05:31 by SweetThing.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 19, 2012 00:30

Rocky Dijon
We all have strong opinions about the band, their work, and their solo work and outside projects, but seriously, Brue think about what you wrote to ProudMary.

No matter how much you disagree with her opinions of Keith, would you want someone talking to your mom or sister or wife/girlfriend or daughter like that?

In real life, most guys would either deck the jerk who acted that way or look at taking legal action to make sure their loved ones were safe from harm. I know it's only a messageboard and few of us will ever meet each other in real life, but that was way out of line just because you're fed up with a fellow fan's low opinion of Keith. Debate her, but don't debase yourself and offend her in the process. There is a basic standard of respect everyone deserves even when you don't agree. We all have moments where we get too emotional, but show some integrity and apologize for being out of line.

Could care less. If you can't take a joke, stay out of it. Boy.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:09

Wanderingspirit, old chap, liked those comments and that evocative "recent moments in the sun."

May have to play "Evening Gown" a few times. My favorite cry in half a glass of wine song.

Assume you are in the US and will be glued to SNL tomorrow night? I will probably turn to Ray Charles after that's over to listen to "Let's Go Get Stoned."

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:10

Justin
stupidguy2
Yes, and that attitude permeated into the media, became a myth. I'm just amazed that some fans still hold onto those myths.
Much of started because Keith and Anita shoot of their mouths...
Keith has gotten less vitriolic, but he constantly belittled Jagger, way before Mick's solos......
I think Anita instigated a lot of it back in the late 60s, and Keith is gullible, and he was also a junkie in those days...so..
But Mick has never added fuel to any fire.
He's got too much class.

Agreed. I will stand behind any opportunity to hand Mick some well-deserved props but I don't particularly agree with how the author of the article chose to go about it. He could have still made it a point to list Mick's achievements but the author's act of taking away props from Keith was a little snipey--if not driven by emotions. I suppose the writer of an oppinion column can do whatever he pleases but to be the little taddle-tail for no real rhyme or reason is a little sleazy. I suppose this is all some payback for the crap Keith's given Mick in the last few years but I can't recall Keith ever slagging Mick for the work they did...it was all personal bullshit.

Justin, Keith has been slagging Mick for years. As I said, the Barbara Charone book is one of the first I ever read...it came out in 79....and it was basically a hatchet job on Jagger, told from the POV of Keith/Anita, caught at the tail end of their addictions/relationship. The book was blessed by Keith - the starry-eyed author practically lived with Keith and Anita for a while....
And much of those nasty, childish attitudes Keith has expressed over the years toward Mick were made public with that book.
As critic Dave Marsh of the book, 'The author worships Richards for all the wrong reasons, and she doesn't miss one.'
Jagger has been maligned for decades......more than Keith ever has.
And to those of us who have watched this drama play over the last 30 years....one opinion piece criticizing Keith is nothing compared to what we've seen of against Jagger since 1979. Nothing.
Hence, why many of us are like 'WTF'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-19 01:23 by stupidguy2.

Date: May 19, 2012 01:13

wanderingspirit66
proudmary
swiss
proudmary - with all due respect, your thread title is misleading.

swiss, I posted a complete article with it's original title and gave a link to it. Anyone can read and agree or disagree with the author(not me in this case)
I took the concluding words of the text, which define the essence of this article - on my opinion. I realized that it was provocative and was ready for the next portion of the personal attacks om me.
But I think that this article shows that the discussions that we have here on the board are gradually moving in the field of conventional media, outside of our bubble. And there is a topic for discussion - public perception of Jagger and Richards in recent years - not what I feel about Richards or whether I am a real Stones fan or Jagger's groupie.

Proudmary - I have been on this board for ~ 7 years and have followed this board for longer. I have a pretty good idea of who the principals on this board are and what their biases are. I love your posts. Ignore the negative comments. I know you already do. You have a tough skin. Your presence on this board is much appreciated.
As opposed to the hundreds of articles about Keith being the “heart and soul’ of the band, there are but ~ 2 articles in the popular press that give Jagger some kudos and slight Richards. There is barely 1 that truly recognizes Jagger's songwriting gifts. And a significant proportion of this board cannot even handle that simply because that proportion of this board works hard at diminishing Jagger as an artist. A significant proportion of this board does not even like Mick Jagger. A whining eddy once remarked that he wished Keith would "sing" instead of Jagger. Another toddy declares that Saint of Me is a great song but has to be brought down a notch because it doesn’t feature Keith.
Jagger has at least another 10 years left in him. As Wenner stated nicely, Jagger, along with Lennon and Dylan is one of the three definitive voices of our time. He will be recognized yet. He is flawed for sure but there is little room on this board to discuss Jagger's strengths without discussing Keith's "even greater" strengths. There is NO room to describe Keith's weaknesses without discussing Jagger's "even greater weaknesses". The position that "'Keef' is the real deal and that Mick is a talentless but lucky and somewhat embarrassingly greedy adjunct" is one that Keith himself has craved. One very esteemed poster here stated that Keith was 80% of the Stones and Jagger was an accountant. As I mentioned earlier, there is a huge "let me take him down syndrome" on this board vis-a-vis Jagger. Over the last 20 years or so, Keith Richards himself, more than anyone else seems to have made this a singular mission. And his sycophants parrot his populist bullshit. As does every journalism major or intern who is asked to write up a piece on any a upcoming Stones related event. But Jagger too has a tough skin. He plays by his own rules. He lets his actions speak louder than words. Any Stones fan should be enjoying Jagger’s recent moments in the sun.

Post of the Year so far.
I've been watching Jagger get trashed since I was 12 and I honestly don't know what world some of these people are living in if they think Keith doesn't get any credit.

Date: May 19, 2012 01:15

stonesrule
Mary, I understand that you don't necessarily endorse the clips you post. I commend you for posting them.

Opinions about people we don't know personally is one thing. Calling Jagger cheap or a sex fiend or Keith a parasite go beyond "an opinion" when it is not backed up by actual facts from RELIABLE sources. Especially when the gossip or clip is 20 or more years old.

But stonerule,
the most offensive comment directed at Jagger to me as that he is just an accountant.
That to me is far more diminishing and that has been the standard myth for the last 30 years...

Posted by: AintNoStranger ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:15

swiss
(2) The Washington Times is a right-wing publication. They would tend to resonate more with Jagger's
politics (or presumed politics) to Keith's.

author bio: "Scott Galupo is a Washington-based freelance writer. He formerly worked for
House Republican Leader John Boehner
, and was a staff writer for The Washington Times."

- swiss

'nuff said!

...thanks for the research: swiss

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-19 01:24 by AintNoStranger.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:19

proudmary
... Unfortunately Richards, and no one else has made the largest contribution to the destruction of the image of Jagger/ Richards creative partnership as the greatest one in the history of pop music.

I'd rather think that the thing which has contributed to the destruction of the image of the Stones, or Jagger-Richards if you prefer is Time.
Time is no more on their side , I wish that they could have grown old like the masters of the blues, they still could do it, one never knows, but if they failed, after all, they are just humans like you and me...nobody's perfect.

HMN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:26

Brue
proudmary
Green Lady
I disagree with proudmary about many things, but nobody deserves your last two posts, Brue. I'm sure the lady has too much class to respond, so I'll say on her behalf that I have never reported a post and never will but I'm sorely tempted...

Thank you for your sympathy,Green Lady, but I never pay attention to his posts, a man is sick

I ain't the one calling people parasites.

You do seem to be a bit of a tool though. Play nice and people may like you more.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:42

Brue
Rocky Dijon
We all have strong opinions about the band, their work, and their solo work and outside projects, but seriously, Brue think about what you wrote to ProudMary.

No matter how much you disagree with her opinions of Keith, would you want someone talking to your mom or sister or wife/girlfriend or daughter like that?

In real life, most guys would either deck the jerk who acted that way or look at taking legal action to make sure their loved ones were safe from harm. I know it's only a messageboard and few of us will ever meet each other in real life, but that was way out of line just because you're fed up with a fellow fan's low opinion of Keith. Debate her, but don't debase yourself and offend her in the process. There is a basic standard of respect everyone deserves even when you don't agree. We all have moments where we get too emotional, but show some integrity and apologize for being out of line.

Could care less. If you can't take a joke, stay out of it. Boy.

You "could care less?" Good, I was afraid you couldn't care less.
Okay semi-serious question now, did you mean "boy" as in you're exasperated by my sticking my nose into a post on a public forum or "boy" as in a sad attempt to demean me as "not being a man like you?" Just curious if you really are just trying to have fun or if I'm supposed to be intimidated.

Re: The Washington Times - Mick Jagger: Two cheers for an aging frontman
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:51

Rolling Hansie
sweetcharmedlife
The author of this article is also a regular poster on Rocks Off.

Cool. I didn't know that. But now I am curious who ?

[rocksoff.org]

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 19, 2012 01:54

His Majesty
Rolling Hansie
sweetcharmedlife
The author of this article is also a regular poster on Rocks Off.

Cool. I didn't know that. But now I am curious who ?

[rocksoff.org]

Joey?

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 19, 2012 07:47

proudmary
swiss
proudmary - my criticism was your thread title says "Washington Times: It’s the truth..." [emphasis mine].

You say you were quoting directly the article. But nowhere in the article does it say "It’s the truth."
That is your own editorial comment (and I have no problem if that's your opinion). But you have
framed up the discussion --not only in a provocative manner, as you claim-- but in a misleading manner.

"It makes me sad to say this, but I fear it’s the truth.

Keith Richards isn’t the purist.

Lately, he’s more like a parasite."

So, you see I am quoting directly the article and this title is much more attracting attention tnan the vague Two cheers for an aging frontman-no one would read the thread with such a title.
But the article raises issues that I have long felt need to be discussed
Yeah,but it took everybody calling you out on it to change the title of the thread that you started. If we didn't.You would of stuck with your initial inflammatory title. Which is what you usually do when you want to start stirring shit up around here. Mistaking opinions for facts.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 19, 2012 09:13

TeddyB1018
Mick wrote most of Some Girls? True,if you remove Beast of Burden, Before They Make Me Run and the riff to Shattered, you don't have much left past a disco hit single, a fun country parody and several two chord neo-Pistols songs. Add in Start Me Up from the session and Keith's contributions were invaluable. As we're Mick's, of course. As for not contributing so much lately, Keith clearly lost the battle with Mick. The writer might be correct that he'd prefer a bit of Tom Waits or aging folk blues man approach, for which there is little room. Maybe if Mick would agree to front some of those songs instead of steering clear, the collaboration might prove a bit more fruitful. Mick still has an abundance of talent and drive. I wish he'd spend a bit of it on Keith's taste.

The Washington Times. That's like being lauded by Pravda or Der Angriff. You'd prefer they criticized you. With friends like that...

Tom Waits and Leonard Cohen are still producing new, vibrant music.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 19, 2012 09:15

swiss

I have my opinion about why The Washington Times would post this. Maybe I'll administer a confidential
survey on iorr to gather some data about this to see whether my hunch is right about that---i.e., it seems
to me many people most into drawing these ferocious battle lines between Keith and Mick (which I don't
-- I love them both and am grateful to what they have created and contributed, as well as hopeful
about what they might do next) may also be the most politically polarized people posting here.
Meaning, some people's intense identification with Mick or Keith and what they appear to represent
[MICK: savvy, successful, sophisticated, reasonable, mature, conservative OR greedy, cold, calculating,
shallow, empty, desperately self-conscious -- KEITH: free-spirited, seasoned, independent, real, honest,
heart/soul of Stones, OR sloppy, pathetic, parasitic, immature, mean-spirited] may align with people's
political/social/economic class beliefs. So it seems natural to me that the Washington Times (which
really isn't as disreputable as many of you-all are saying here--when I lived in DC I'd sometimes read
it to get an idea of some of the views of a certain stripe of conservatives, and it's not like
off-the-rails crazy) would publish an article showing Mick in this particular type of favorable light.

I'm glad there are articles looking more closely at the stones---but am sad that they sometimes seem to have to be so polarizing.

-swiss

I don´t think Mick is shown in such a favorable light. The author repeats all the old myths through the entire article that make Mick look very bad. The "insists to release commercial products", "limelightseeking", the concerts for the evil bankers were all Mick´s and so on. Basically the author just adds that Mick gets not enogh credit as a songwriter, wich is true but nothing extra positiv and that he is the hard worker of the band, plus Keith and his motives get questioned (if that is the right word). So I think only Keith is not presented as positiv as usual but therefore Mick is not presented in a very favorable light.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:16

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
At least the myth of his "fall from a tree" continues to persist...like a parasite.

so what did happen to him then?

Re: The Washington Times about Mick and Keith
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:31

Thank you for changing the thread title.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:32

His Majesty
[rocksoff.org]

Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 19, 2012 10:53

Cut to the chase: The world would never have had the greatness known as The Rolling Stones without both Jagger and Richards. They BOTH deserve props. But it's the way they balanced each other out musically that made for the Stones magic. Let's not even get into their personal feuds. Their solo albums prove the point. Mick needs Keith to bring some grit to Mick's penchant for the slick and commercial vibe. Keith's solo work has a more Stonesey vibe but it's when you put the two of them together that you get the magic. There are exceptions but for the most part it's true. Even if Mick wrote certain songs by himself, I'm sure they would sound very different simply without Keith's prescence in the recording process, adding his unique style to the riffs, tempos, etc... And vice versa. Keith has said that sometimes if Mick writes a song, Keith's job is to sprinkle the magic dust on it; come up with a way of playing the riff that turns it into a true Stones tune. I'm also sure it's Mick's influence that has kept Keith's tunes from being too raw and unfocused to make great recordings. Too much trashing of both men here from various quarters. They are both brilliant artists and when they work together you get that awesome aural elexir known as The Rolling Stones! "Gimme a little drink!"

Posted by: proudmary ()
Date: May 19, 2012 11:10

Rolling Hansie
His Majesty
[rocksoff.org]

Thanks

this is amazing - I visited the RO page and there is a calm discussion of this article with the author himself, the person who wrote it.They don't insult him, do not call him names, not accuse of anything, do not offer him to suck dick - not matter what words he chose to describe Richards.
I posted the article here and got the eruption of hatred with a strong misogynistic tone

may be stupidguy2 is right, and it's all about misogyny

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 19, 2012 12:34

Stoneage
Sounds like gossip to me. How can a major newspaper publish second rate material like this?

Second rate? It's a good column. Spot on and interesting to read. Quite bold given Keiths behavioral pattern.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 19, 2012 12:35

stonesdan60
Cut to the chase: The world would never have had the greatness known as The Rolling Stones without both Jagger and Richards. They BOTH deserve props. But it's the way they balanced each other out musically that made for the Stones magic. Let's not even get into their personal feuds. Their solo albums prove the point. Mick needs Keith to bring some grit to Mick's penchant for the slick and commercial vibe. Keith's solo work has a more Stonesey vibe but it's when you put the two of them together that you get the magic. There are exceptions but for the most part it's true. Even if Mick wrote certain songs by himself, I'm sure they would sound very different simply without Keith's prescence in the recording process, adding his unique style to the riffs, tempos, etc... And vice versa. Keith has said that sometimes if Mick writes a song, Keith's job is to sprinkle the magic dust on it; come up with a way of playing the riff that turns it into a true Stones tune. I'm also sure it's Mick's influence that has kept Keith's tunes from being too raw and unfocused to make great recordings. Too much trashing of both men here from various quarters. They are both brilliant artists and when they work together you get that awesome aural elexir known as The Rolling Stones! "Gimme a little drink!"

Spot on........and Charlie said in 25 x 5...."when we all come togethor something magical happens (or disastrous depending on your point of view)"

Personally though I think both Mick and Keith's solo stuff holds up better than most other bands........when I first came home and heard 'Just another night' on the radio I thought without even having heard Mick's vocal at that point...."Oh...I didn't know the Stones were releasing new stuff"......to me instantly recognisable quality.....

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 19, 2012 12:39

proudmary
Rolling Hansie
His Majesty
[rocksoff.org]

Thanks

this is amazing - I visited the RO page and there is a calm discussion of this article with the author himself, the person who wrote it.They don't insult him, do not call him names, not accuse of anything, do not offer him to suck dick - not matter what words he chose to describe Richards.
I posted the article here and got the eruption of hatred with a strong misogynistic tone

I think it's because some fans feel they have to prove themselves loyal to the band. You gotta support the team.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 19, 2012 13:02

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 19, 2012 13:21

No, I think it's about choice of headline. As elunsi says above, the article actually isn't all that complimentary to Mick, either, and even the author over on rocks off, says that "parasite" may be "a bit harsh". But rocks off ran the article under what you might describe as a neutral thread title (like the one it has on iorr now) - and it didn't sink without trace, it got discussed in a civilised way.

It's all about the way we tend to pick up on the most controversial word or statement in any article and not really look very hard at the rest: thus "It's the truth: Richards is a more like a parasite" (without even the "lately" that the original author put in ) is going to get everybody jumping up and down, just like "tiny todger" are the only words Keith wrote in all of Life that are memorable for some readers. I'm afraid proudmary 's headline more or less invited us to start a big argument, and we all fell for it.

But none of the above excuses the things some people said.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 19, 2012 14:12

where there is smoke there is usually fire...I hope Keith lived up to his claim in Life that he writes songs for Mick to sing...because he hasn't done much of that lately....he did it brilliantly before....and that's not taking anything away from Jagger whose written his own share of brilliance....a whole is equal to the sum of its parts.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: May 19, 2012 14:16

Green Lady's right. As many have already pointed out, the thread headline slightly twisted the words of the article to give a misleading impression of what they actually said. And some of the reaction was indeed way OTT and uncalled for.

Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: May 19, 2012 16:05

proudmary
Rolling Hansie
His Majesty
[rocksoff.org]

Thanks

NO darlin' it's NOT about misogyny at all. I was extremely upset about this ridiculous article AND your original title - and I'm a woman! tongue sticking out smiley

If you find things so much "calmer" over at RO perhaps you could go over there to spew your hatred for Keith. As I said earlier, we are STONES' FANS here and there would not be 'Stones' without all of them.....Keith, Mick, Charlie, Ronnie, Brian, Taylor and Stu. And all of the others surrounding them - Nicky, Jimmy Miller, Bobby Keys, the list is endless!

So, this is not misogyny (an easy cop-out for hatred!). It's rather about the love for a band and all its members who have given us the music of our lives/the soundtrack to our lives.

Please.....if you're filled with hatred toward anyone/any Stone, kindly keep it to yourself. Your hatred is like a cancer; it's ugly and it has no place here where people love The Rolling Stones.

Misogyny - what a load of crap to cover yourself. Remember, I'm a woman and there are some/many women here. Don't use our gender as your paltry cop-out!angry smiley

ETA: How on earth could I leave out BILL WYMAN in the list of Stones? Well, that just shows how outta my mind I was with ProudMary's post berating a Stone, any Stone! cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-19 17:39 by Cocaine Eyes.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 4 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1791
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home