Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
OT: Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live
Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: May 16, 2012 13:29

Is this the modern way? All old bands must play hits and nothing obscure?

[www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Re: OT: Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 16, 2012 13:34

The difference between this band and the Stones is that the Stones have a large catalog of "B" sides that most people know from occasional radio play,
and would allow the Stones to shuffle the setlist without playing anything too "obscure."

Date: May 16, 2012 14:01

I didn't know they still were playing.

Seemingsly, Elliott's voice is gone.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 16, 2012 14:13

This is about the only 80's band I have respect for.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 16, 2012 14:25

Def Leppard ain't even a pimple on the great Rolling Stones' ass. Plus, the Stones have about 400 more songs to choose from than DL.

Date: May 16, 2012 15:23

stonesdan60
Def Leppard ain't even a pimple on the great Rolling Stones' ass. Plus, the Stones have about 400 more songs to choose from than DL.

if you count only officially released material that was written by the stones they probably don't have much more material than def leppard

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: May 16, 2012 15:39

Braincapers
Is this the modern way? All old bands must play hits and nothing obscure?

[www.classicrockmagazine.com]

Didn't know they had any...

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 16, 2012 21:25

Def Leppard is the anti-MilesDavis. You have to withstand a quiet crowd at times tough it out. To get respect, demand it. (Although a lot of people who go see Leppard are not serious music fans.) Their new music is NOT GOOD, however; it just isn't.

Sometimes a quiet crowd doesn't mean they aren't enjoying it. I remember hearing Worried About You live and, although she wasn't making a sound during it, the lady next to me said "What was that song? That was really good!" afterward.

Date: May 16, 2012 21:28

The opposite of Def Leppard for rock acts is probably The Black Crowes. They refuse to play their small smattering of hits. "Would it kill you to play Jealous Again?"

Date: May 16, 2012 22:08

the two best songwriters in def leppard were mutt lange and steve clark.

steve's dead and mutt no longer works with them - hence, the new stuff.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 12:21

keefriffhard4life
stonesdan60

if you count only officially released material that was written by the stones they probably don't have much more material than def leppard

You've got to be kidding....No way has DL written anywhere near the number of songs the Stones have.

Date: May 17, 2012 13:28

stonesdan60
keefriffhard4life
stonesdan60

You've got to be kidding....No way has DL written anywhere near the number of songs the Stones have.

the rolling stones only have like 20 original tunes up until Aftermath so count every officially released original tune from Aftermath-present.
i counted 137 def leppard original officially released songs and i might have missed some b-side as almost every single had non album b-sides of songs they wrote.
i think the rolling stones probably have about 200 more songs but you figure the stones use to do 1 album a year, numerous non album singles and b-sides and had about a 15 year jump start on def leppard. in the same time frame def leppard did 137 songs the rolling stones didn't even release 100 songs

Date: May 17, 2012 19:21

*******Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live******

---

um, i'll wager a guess that it's because those are the only backing tapes they still have? def leppard was SO anti-septic, their records sound like they were recorded in hospital operating rooms; over produced crap. two songs does not an album make; and that is being overly polite and generous. these days they are kinda like Ted Nugent, in the 'where are they now' and who cares, file. a good thread would be to debate who is sh*ttier; def leppard or Nugent.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 17, 2012 19:31

Another GREAT EXAMPLE of a thread where some people on IORR JUST DELIGHT IN (SEEM TO LIVE FOR) RIPPING INTO BANDS.... without regard to anything or anybody

Date: May 17, 2012 19:46

*****some people on IORR JUST DELIGHT IN (SEEM TO LIVE FOR) RIPPING INTO BANDS****

the lousy ones, yes

so? some people even rip into the stones in here; something i'd never do.

c'mon, every DL vocal sounds like it went through a processor; seems like some computer process analyzed the lead and backing vocals of every song in def leppard’s catalog note by note. it's probably the natural effect of huffing hairspray and wearing spandex. c'mon, be honest. def leppard is definitely a sh*t factory. I guess this thread proves I'm the only one on here born before 1980.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 19:49 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Posted by: Ladykiller ()
Date: May 17, 2012 22:27

saw Def Leppard in 1988 on the Hysteria Tour. It was an amazing concert, best concert of the year. But today, I would no more go to a Def Leppard show, because they are not half as good as they were in their glory times.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 17, 2012 22:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 22:51 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 18, 2012 00:50

pinkfloydthebarber
*******Joe Elliott on why Leppard only play hits live******

---

um, i'll wager a guess that it's because those are the only backing tapes they still have? def leppard was SO anti-septic, their records sound like they were recorded in hospital operating rooms; over produced crap. two songs does not an album make; and that is being overly polite and generous. these days they are kinda like Ted Nugent, in the 'where are they now' and who cares, file. a good thread would be to debate who is sh*ttier; def leppard or Nugent.

2 songs? the album hysteria had 6-7 billboard top 40 hits

Date: May 18, 2012 01:13

One way to put it is that Def Leppard has a "coolness" problem. They lack an edginess and an artistic integrity. Hysteria and Pyromania have great songs but they don't really have anything to say in the aftermath of that. An artist must have something to say.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 18, 2012 04:13

Send It To me
The opposite of Def Leppard for rock acts is probably The Black Crowes. They refuse to play their small smattering of hits. "Would it kill you to play Jealous Again?"

Not true. I have seen the Crowes numerous times and saw three of the shows from their Filmore gigs, and they played Jealous Again three out of the six nights , Hard to Handle, Sting Me, Remedy, No Speak No Slave, Good Friday, and She Talks to Angles. Probably their best known songs, but not all "hits". And then of course they mix it up with lots of cool covers and lesser known songs.

Date: May 18, 2012 04:37

whitem8
Send It To me

Not true. I have seen the Crowes numerous times and saw three of the shows from their Filmore gigs, and they played Jealous Again three out of the six nights , Hard to Handle, Sting Me, Remedy, No Speak No Slave, Good Friday, and She Talks to Angles. Probably their best known songs, but not all "hits". And then of course they mix it up with lots of cool covers and lesser known songs.

I've seen them about three times and, in my experience, you'll get one or two "hits" but that's it - i.e., they'll play Twice As Hard OR Jealous Again OR Remedy, one of them but not all of them.

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: May 18, 2012 04:42

I stopped paying attention after Clark passed away

I'll say this - High and Dry & Pyromania are great rock albums

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-19 04:00 by theanchorman.

Date: May 18, 2012 05:03

theanchorman

I'll say this - High and Dry & PYeomania are great rock albums

the only good album they did after clark died was SLANG.. they dropped the 80's crap and made a mature album. fans disliked the lack of loud guitar hooks and sex lyrics so they went back to the 80's sound

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-18 05:04 by keefriffhard4life.

Date: May 18, 2012 05:06

Send It To me
whitem8
Send It To me

I've seen them about three times and, in my experience, you'll get one or two "hits" but that's it - i.e., they'll play Twice As Hard OR Jealous Again OR Remedy, one of them but not all of them.

i've seen the crowes 3 times. once was a free concert paid for by nascar and they literally played the greates hits album plus 3 other songs not on there. the other 2 times i think i heard twice as hard 1 time, jealous again 1 time, she talks to angels 1 time, remedy 2 times and hard to handle 1 time

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: May 18, 2012 05:53

Ha, Def Leppard...the band I cannot come to terms with entirely.

But, I put on "Animal" from Hysteria, a song and album that I really was entirely indifferent to *at the time* in, what?, 1987, but now, it takes me back in a way that admittedly is 98% sentimentality. But at the same time, somehow I appreciate their slickness and the simple riffage and groovage that appeals to the lowest common denominator. Def Leppard from this era: for me, it's a guilty pleasure.

Posted by: James Kirk ()
Date: May 18, 2012 07:19

Sorry, but Def Leppard sucked in the 80's and they suck even worse playing the local Holiday Inn in 2012. I would imagine a Def Leppard show in 2012 is the equivalant to seeing Spinal Tap...For him to compare himself to acts like McCartney, The Who and Pink Floyd is laughable.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 18, 2012 15:36

keefriffhard4life
theanchorman

I'll say this - High and Dry & PYeomania are great rock albums

the only good album they did after clark died was SLANG.. they dropped the 80's crap and made a mature album. fans disliked the lack of loud guitar hooks and sex lyrics so they went back to the 80's sound

Slang is, by far, my favorite Def Lep album! Absolutely love that album, although I know 99% of their fans, and even the band itself, loathe the album, but it was awesome!! I actually saw them on the Slang tour - much much much smaller stage. It was a great show. They have done some pretty good stuff since then, as well - Euphoria was a pretty decent album, and their new Walmart-only live double cd was good too I thought.

As far as Joe Elliott's voice goes, every single frontman's voice has changed over the years. The only ones I can even think of who sound the same are Paul McCartney, Sebastian Bach, and Bret Michaels. Everyone else - including Mick - have changed vocally....with most no longer able to hit the high notes.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 18, 2012 16:11

I didn't know Brett Michaels can sing.

Date: May 18, 2012 21:08

********Sorry, but Def Leppard sucked in the 80's and they suck even worse playing the local Holiday Inn in 2012. I would imagine a Def Leppard show in 2012 is the equivalant to seeing Spinal Tap...For him to compare himself to acts like McCartney, The Who and Pink Floyd is laughable.**********

- TOTALLY agree, man. they even have names like Spinal Tap.... Rick Savage and Vivian Campbell and all that crap.

*********2 songs? the album hysteria had 6-7 billboard top 40 hits*********

- sales don't mean squat in the grand scheme of what you like and what you don't like, because that's all a matter of opinion. it is an interesting piece of trivia though. DL records full of lullabyes and with record sales bought in earnest by every non rock music fan MILF and teenybopper with braces from coast to coast, so? just because they were massive platinum sales monsters means nothing in the real scope of things. i mean, critics don't compare DL with Dylan, do they? i guess that's what happens when you huff hairspray and jump around in spandex screaming about fast cars and pouring sugar on stuff, with sh*tty stripper songs and sugary love songs instread of songs about civil rights. hair bands like DL are pop artists (not rock) more than anything, anyway. nowadays DL's only 'hit' is trying to find a way to find and direct attention to their band. they don't even qualify as a ripple on the rock'n'roll pond in the grand scheme of things. i would certainly hate to see Joe Elliott and his be-mulleted cronies inflicting themselves on another generation of the human race.

*****The opposite of Def Leppard for rock acts is probably The Black Crowes. They refuse to play their small smattering of hits. "Would it kill you to play Jealous Again?"*******

black crowes don't qualify for much more of a ripple, either. i saw them a couple of summers ago and they were flat out boring. yes, they played no 'hits' which was fine, but proceeded to bore everybody with long, pointless, seemingly endless jams. the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore, they aren't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-18 21:12 by pinkfloydthebarber.

Date: May 18, 2012 22:49

pinkfloydthebarber
********Sorry, but Def Leppard sucked in the 80's and they suck even worse playing the local Holiday Inn in 2012. I would imagine a Def Leppard show in 2012 is the equivalant to seeing Spinal Tap...For him to compare himself to acts like McCartney, The Who and Pink Floyd is laughable.**********

- TOTALLY agree, man. they even have names like Spinal Tap.... Rick Savage and Vivian Campbell and all that crap.

*********2 songs? the album hysteria had 6-7 billboard top 40 hits*********

- sales don't mean squat in the grand scheme of what you like and what you don't like, because that's all a matter of opinion. it is an interesting piece of trivia though. DL records full of lullabyes and with record sales bought in earnest by every non rock music fan MILF and teenybopper with braces from coast to coast, so? just because they were massive platinum sales monsters means nothing in the real scope of things. i mean, critics don't compare DL with Dylan, do they? i guess that's what happens when you huff hairspray and jump around in spandex screaming about fast cars and pouring sugar on stuff, with sh*tty stripper songs and sugary love songs instread of songs about civil rights. hair bands like DL are pop artists (not rock) more than anything, anyway. nowadays DL's only 'hit' is trying to find a way to find and direct attention to their band. they don't even qualify as a ripple on the rock'n'roll pond in the grand scheme of things. i would certainly hate to see Joe Elliott and his be-mulleted cronies inflicting themselves on another generation of the human race.

*****The opposite of Def Leppard for rock acts is probably The Black Crowes. They refuse to play their small smattering of hits. "Would it kill you to play Jealous Again?"*******

black crowes don't qualify for much more of a ripple, either. i saw them a couple of summers ago and they were flat out boring. yes, they played no 'hits' which was fine, but proceeded to bore everybody with long, pointless, seemingly endless jams. the Allman Brothers at the Fillmore, they aren't.

this might be the worst post i've ever read on here

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2001
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home