Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Brown Sugar with Eric Clapton on Slide Guitar
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:01

Doxa
was the released version recorded a yaer or something earlier? The Clapton version is from 1970, right?

Both versions were absolutely most probably recorded in December 1969, despite of what Zentgraf or bootleg-artwork says

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:09

My argument for why I think the released version is far superior to the Clapton one is that it captures probably better than ever the majestic Rolling Stones groove, and the band effort made by Keith, Bill and Charlie. It doesn't need any 'cake icing' like those slide guitars of Clapton, which I think just interrupts the groove and unnecessarily fill the space with too many notes, and thereby not giving enough room for the terrific backing track to breath. This is a hypnotic dance song. I wholeheeartly respect the judgment of the Twins to do release the song as it is. Even the decision to use the sax as solo was a spot on artistic choice by giving a nice contrast to the terrific groove. No need for any guitar heroes in this track. This an essential Rolling Stones song.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 11:14 by Doxa.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 23, 2012 11:11

Erik_Snow
Doxa
was the released version recorded a yaer or something earlier? The Clapton version is from 1970, right?

Both versions were absolutely most probably recorded in December 1969, despite of what Zentgraf or bootleg-artwork says

Okay, thanks. But still the 'original' (released one) was recorded earlier during the American Tour and this one afterwards 'back home' in Keith's birthday.

- Doxa

Date: October 23, 2012 11:23

Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa

Okay, thanks. But still the 'original' (released one) was recorded earlier during the American Tour and this one afterwards 'back home' in Keith's birthday.

- Doxa

The Clapton version was recorded in London 18 days after the US tour ended, but 12 days after Altamont.

Date: October 23, 2012 11:46

I don't hear the two guitars overlapping either. In the panning, and maybe on the assigned track too, the solo takes the place of the slide. On such a rough recording why would they even take the slide completely out, unless it is a punch-in?

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: October 23, 2012 16:36

Doxa
A nice curiosity but pales in comparison to the released one, which is simply a perfect recording made in a right place in a right moment.

Richards is funnily still working on the open riff (was the released version recorded a yaer or something earlier? The Clapton version is from 1970, right?). Very close to the way he would open the 1972/73 shows.

- Doxa

I've often wondered why Keith puts that extra note in the riff in some early live performances of the song. I'd love to see tablature comparing the fretting of the two versions.

Date: October 23, 2012 16:42

jazzbass
Doxa
A nice curiosity but pales in comparison to the released one, which is simply a perfect recording made in a right place in a right moment.

Richards is funnily still working on the open riff (was the released version recorded a yaer or something earlier? The Clapton version is from 1970, right?). Very close to the way he would open the 1972/73 shows.

- Doxa

I've often wondered why Keith puts that extra note in the riff in some early live performances of the song. I'd love to see tablature comparing the fretting of the two versions.

He might have done it on the original studio recording as well. If his start was sloppy or a bit out of time, they could perfectly well have deleted the beginning of his riff...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 23, 2012 18:28

DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

The Clapton version was recorded in London 18 days after the US tour ended, but 12 days after Altamont.

No, that's not true, the Clapton version WAS recorded in 1970, not 1969. This is confirmed by Chris Kimsey who engineered. And, in the song there's various parts that where only developed during the overdub sessions in March/April 1970 like the sax solo, and the Richards rhythm guitar that has developed on the 1970 tour. This version simply can not be from 1969.

Mathijs

Posted by: FRANCKY ()
Date: October 23, 2012 20:20

Yes, this version comes from december 18, 1970, not 1969...

This was also confirmed by Keith himself but I don't remember where...

Date: October 23, 2012 20:24

FRANCKY
Yes, this version comes from december 18, 1970, not 1969...

This was also confirmed by Keith himself but I don't remember where...

No, not Dec 18th, Clapton was elsewhere that day I read somewhere

Date: October 23, 2012 20:25

Mathijs
DandelionPowderman
Doxa
Erik_Snow
Doxa

- Doxa

No, that's not true, the Clapton version WAS recorded in 1970, not 1969. This is confirmed by Chris Kimsey who engineered. And, in the song there's various parts that where only developed during the overdub sessions in March/April 1970 like the sax solo, and the Richards rhythm guitar that has developed on the 1970 tour. This version simply can not be from 1969.

Mathijs

Aha, thanks for that

Date: October 24, 2012 11:39

My bad, it was indeed recorded 18 December 1970, according to (the always trustworthy) Wikipedia:

"An alternative version was recorded on 18 December 1970, at Olympic Studios in London, after (or during) a birthday party for Richards. It features appearances by Al Kooper on piano, and Eric Clapton on slide guitar.

The alternative version is widely available on bootleg recordings. Richards considered releasing this version on Sticky Fingers, mostly for its more spontaneous atmosphere, but decided on the original".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-24 11:41 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 24, 2012 11:58

DandelionPowderman
My bad, it was indeed recorded 18 December 1970, according to (the always trustworthy) Wikipedia:

Wikipedia gets their "facts" from other lists, doesn't make it true. CLapton wasn't in London at that time in 1970

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: October 24, 2012 11:59

mitchflorida1
I never heard this before to be honest. Clapton on slide guitar, Al Kooper on piano. I think the begining is better than the more popular version, but it isn't mixed that well. The saxes make the song sound too busy.

Vastly inferior. Everything Micks vocals, the tempo, the guitars.

Keith is playing it the way he played it live for years later.

The beauty of the original is the CHUG - CHUG... first two chords.. C then G... played hard with one stroke each.

On this it's DA-CHUG CHUG... Keith started doing DA-CHUG CHUG live later and that always irritated me.

A small thing but important in my opionion.

The sparsh hard C G opening on the original is the greatest opening of any Rock and Roll record ever.

In my opinion of course. (Johnny B Goode would give it a run for its money though).

Date: October 24, 2012 11:59

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Wikipedia gets their "facts" from other lists, doesn't make it true. CLapton wasn't in London at that time in 1970

Irony, Erik winking smiley

AND: It might very well be that the song was recorded on Keith's Birthday party, and that the party was celebrated on another date than Keith's actual birthday - so, if you know that Clapton was a different place that day, the song was probably recorded on a different date.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-24 12:05 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: October 24, 2012 12:07

DandelionPowderman
Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman

Irony, Erik winking smiley

AND: It might very well be that the song was recorded on Keith's Birthday party, and that the party was celebrated on another date than Keith's actual birthday - so, if you know that Clapton was a different place that day, the song was probably recorded on a different date.

Can't remember the source for Clapton not being there, actually, so I'm out of the debate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-24 13:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 24, 2012 13:07

Clapton supposedly went back to London after the Dominoes tour ended in december 1970, and retreated to France in early 1971.

Mathijs

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home