Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: confrirmed: FOO FIGHTERS, ARCADE FIRE to back MICK on snl
Posted by: Brue ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:23

vermontoffender
I don't know anyone who thinks Arcade Fire is trendy or lacking in soul. It's OK if you're ignorant concerning popular, current, bands, but it's best to not try and seem like an authority on them in that case.

Seriously, Arcade Fire....trendy and soul free? That's an incredibly misinformed statement.

Whatever happened to the record companies telling you who the good bands were? Now you have to scour YouTube all damn day to find music. Or listen to the local college radio station and hope that the dj actually tells you which band it is you just heard. *weeps*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 17:24 by Brue.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:25

What if Mick hosts.
Arcade Fire and Foos do a song each.
Then we roll a tape of the Stones rehearsing in NY, then a tour announcement.

I don't think Mick will play with Arcade or Foos. God I hope not.

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:30

foos with mick taylor, that would be ideal

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:37

From the Washington Post, not really a tabloid :

On Next Saturday, Mick Jagger will host the season finale of “Saturday Night Live” and will be backed by rock behemoths Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire when he performs as the musical guest.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 17:38 by Massimo68.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:42

I miss David Bowie...

That '5 years' clip is wonderful.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:44

If SNL was going to break a "ratings record" by having the Stones on, they would have to be promoting it as "The Stones on SNL". You know, funny little promos with Mick and Keith. Maybe Charlie and Ronnie with another cast member....stuff like that.

So far, it seems like that kind of thing isn't happening. It could be because SNL doesn't promote shows more than a week in advance, or it could be because, you know, all of the parties involved are saying it's going to be Jagger with the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire.

There has been no mention, whatsoever, of the Stones being on SNL next week.

Also, I'm not the biggest Foo Fighters fan, but the concept that Grohl is riding on Cobain's posthumous coattails is ridiculous. Two very different audiences for two very different bands and Cobain himself stated how incredibly talented he though Dave Grohl was. Also, Nirvana was hardly firing on all cylinders before Grohl's arrival. The Foo Fighters have gone out of their way to distance themselves from Nirvana's legacy and carve out their own niche. Even during their earliest tours, the Foo Fighters were teaming up with musicians like Mike Watt and Eddie Vedder and never playing Nirvana tunes. The fact that Grohl is now, at least, equally known as the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist for the Foo Fighters as he is the drummer for Nirvana speaks volumes about his ability to move on.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:50

MICK SCRIPT-
"ello everybody, thank you being here, I know we previously announced that I would be backed by FF and AF, and of course we would never lie to you, but at the last moment we decided to make a change... we hope you dont mind.....

HOUSELIGHT LIGHTS GO DOWN-

ANNOUNCER-
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.... THE ROLLING STONES....

ROLLING STONES-
tearing into Jumping Jack Flash.... and the crowd/fansworldwide go wild

I had been thinking about what would the perfect song for them to nail,
I wasnt sure... but now I am... it is JJF!!!
WHY?
cuz its a GAS GAS GAS!!

just in case anyone is not familiar with this song....

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: May 12, 2012 17:51

If this is true this is Jagger trying to remain "relevant" in his eyes by playing with younger musicians.
Doesn't Mick realise he's most relevant when playing with the Stones.
I for one hope this is just propaganda

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 12, 2012 18:44

vermontoffender
Also, I'm not the biggest Foo Fighters fan, but the concept that Grohl is riding on Cobain's posthumous coattails is ridiculous.

Thank you! That only comes from the moronic & uninformed.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2012 18:46

Justin
flacnvinyl
Why do SNL?

Still with the "why?"

Mick himself stated he was going to live in NY for a period of time. Perhaps Lorne Michaels simply reached out to him and brought up the idea of hosting since he was going to be in the neighborhood. To promote what? Nothing. It's a one time deal...a legend hosting SNL...you don't really need a why. When it's all said and done...it's Mick Jagger performing with two of the most 'in" bands in music today to create some quality must-see-TV..or rather must-see-Hulu viewing. He has no product to push...there is no "then what" after this. It's your basic "well that was random!" TV spot. An extended cameo appearance, if you will.

I would have no problem with MJ doing a solo appearance if it were under different circumstances. Given we have the band 'rehearsing' or doing something in NYC at the same time, AND Mick Taylor there as well, and given it is the 50th anniversary, it seems nonsensical for MJ to not play with his real band.

UNLESS, there is a problem somewhere either in the band 'getting up to speed', or some other issue.

I'll watch and enjoy it regardless, and hope for the alluded to 'smoke screen', but it just seems like a missed opportunity on a big national stage.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:12

As far as the Foo Fighters guitar playing. Grohl should stick with the drums. I never heard so much nonsence out of a guitar. NO rhythm licks. So distorted that ALL chords sound the same. All shaking his head around like a horse and no playing. He sucks as a guitarist.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:28

Just as a matter of interest - I know a Proper Fan ought to know this, but I don't - when was the last time that the band played on live TV? In a studio, I mean, not a televised concert?

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:40

vermontoffender
If SNL was going to break a "ratings record" by having the Stones on, they would have to be promoting it as "The Stones on SNL". You know, funny little promos with Mick and Keith. Maybe Charlie and Ronnie with another cast member....stuff like that.

So far, it seems like that kind of thing isn't happening. It could be because SNL doesn't promote shows more than a week in advance, or it could be because, you know, all of the parties involved are saying it's going to be Jagger with the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire.

Also, I'm not the biggest Foo Fighters fan, but the concept that Grohl is riding on Cobain's posthumous coattails is ridiculous. Two very different audiences for two very different bands and Cobain himself stated how incredibly talented he though Dave Grohl was. Also, Nirvana was hardly firing on all cylinders before Grohl's arrival. The Foo Fighters have gone out of their way to distance themselves from Nirvana's legacy and carve out their own niche. Even during their earliest tours, the Foo Fighters were teaming up with musicians like Mike Watt and Eddie Vedder and never playing Nirvana tunes. The fact that Grohl is now, at least, equally known as the lead singer/songwriter/guitarist for the Foo Fighters as he is the drummer for Nirvana speaks volumes about his ability to move on.

I agree. I always respected Grohl for finding his own thing. He's never lived on Nirvana's coattails. If anything, he's moved beyond it.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:45

stupidguy2
vermontoffender

I agree. I always respected Grohl for finding his own thing. He's never lived on Nirvana's coattails. If anything, he's moved beyond it.

I'm happy for him moving on and finding great success. With that said, I find the music they've produced a little soulless and boring.

They're one of the few consistently successful rock bands to their credit but for me, I'd rather listen to another genre if this is rock music now.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: May 12, 2012 19:53

Green Lady
Just as a matter of interest - I know a Proper Fan ought to know this, but I don't - when was the last time that the band played on live TV? In a studio, I mean, not a televised concert?

This is probably way out but it'll start the ball rolling if nothing else.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:11

More Hot Rocks
As far as the Foo Fighters guitar playing. Grohl should stick with the drums. I never heard so much nonsence out of a guitar. NO rhythm licks. So distorted that ALL chords sound the same. All shaking his head around like a horse and no playing. He sucks as a guitarist.

Mmmmmm.... you're not 17 aren't you? >grinning smiley<

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:18

dcba
More Hot Rocks

It seems like there are a lot of 17 year olds on here...

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:57

Hi to everyone!

I need some help from some American fellow on the following: SNL is on NBC channel. Is that right? Now, I have IPtv over here in Greece with access to CNBC channel. Jimmy Fallon is on that one. Are these two different channels? They seem to share the same logo as well. Is SNL available through CNBC?

Thank you!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 12, 2012 20:59

dcba
More Hot Rocks

LOL! Your the smartest one on this board dcba!

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:04

CNBC is NBC's cable channel devoted, mostly, to business. SNL does not seem to be a part of their programming.

Posted by: Kirk ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:11

Sad. Thanks for the response vermontoffender!

Posted by: mandrax1972 ()
Date: May 12, 2012 21:50

not a good sign. this was a perfect opportunity to put the stones back in the light, and Mick takes a pass. not looking good.

Date: May 12, 2012 22:15

Foo Fighters are, for me, 'that band Nirvana's drummer is in'. Never will be anywhere near as interesting or as good as Nirvana - which I know is not the point - yet is true. It's just bland - a mix of water colours...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 12, 2012 22:44

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-12 23:26 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: May 13, 2012 00:58

I think FF sabotage their own sound; dynamics if you will.
Taylor Hawkins is an outstanding drummer. And Grohl writes great songs. Great pophooks, very strong melodies. The earlier stuff shows this a bit better; as does the quiet disc of "In Your Honor".
It's just once they get done with the stadium treatment of their material it is all that same wash of noise wall. I can not tell which of the 3 guitars is doing what; doesn't really matter. They are scholars of what Bono talked about when he said we need to find a new term for this thing that is stadium rock. The two versions of "Times Like These" ( a wonderful song) sum it up.
And the reason I even write this post is because with FF it matters because IMO they have the material if they choose.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 13, 2012 02:32

Why are people so convinced they are going to announce a tour on SNL? This is a fantasy.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 13, 2012 03:04

well...with Foo Fighters Mick will get a ratings bump....that demographic will certainly tune in. But I fail to see how or why he would do this show given the Stones are/have been in NYC and rehearsing.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2012 03:08

Max'sKansasCity
treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo
MickRichards
Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire. Neither are R & R bands. Pop bands at best.
Foo Fighters are a pop band?!? are you kidding me?!? Why are there so many misinformed people on this message board? I suggest you watch them in action, especially the drummer Taylor Hawkins. He is one of the best around. He is HEAVY. A monster. Watch them and then come back and tell me that it's pop.

I've seen them in concert...they are so boring. Radiohead opened for and completely eviscerated them.
The Foos rock
I agree. The Foos do rock.hot smiley

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 13, 2012 09:04

Just in case no one saw, tonight during SNL, they had a slate for next week's host. Mick Jagger will be the host and musical guest, accompanied by Arcade Fire, Foo Fighters, and JEFF BECK. Don't know if Jeff Beck is new information to anyone, but that is what it said about next week's show.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 13, 2012 09:31

I'd rather have an enema with sulfuric acid (H2S04) that listen to ONE Foo Fighter song. OOOFFFF!

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home