Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: what am i doing here on the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 27, 2012 21:02

71Tele
CindyC
Gray's Papaya is awesome! I used to go there all the time.

Never saw you there, Cindy. I would have said "hi" and bought you a delicious hot dog.

I would have accepted! I was there in the early 90's, way before my time on IORR.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 27, 2012 21:23

GOO
Mathijs
I understood the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue used to be a gay area, or a gay prostitute area. Any truth in that?

Mathijs

Very super gay

Hmmmm... I wouldn't presume to say it wasn't (or isn't) true.

Quite possible, but to give a fair description to someone that hasn't been there before, it certainly isn't Christopher Street or any type of gay ghetto. It's a main thoroughfare with all variety of auto and foot traffic, day and night.

Didn't there used to be a record store on the Southwest corner? Presumably gone by 1980 though.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 27, 2012 23:06

tomk
I'm in NYC next week. My wife's there for work, and I'm just bumming around.
Every time I'm there my first stop is West 8th and 6th. Electric Ladyland is near there.

Revolver Records is close by too - that's where I would shop for most of my Stones bootlegs before internet days.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 23:53

71Tele: My fathers place was 2 doors down from the Korean deli. My step mother still has the (4th fl) apartment. I used play my guitar there when I was just starting out back in the Mid-late 80's. Used to go Rays Pizza, Greys, Dublin House, Beacon Theater, Riverside & Central Parks...

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 00:05

If you go to the Carnegie Deli, order a pastrami sandwich. If you mention my name and you will get 10 percent off.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 28, 2012 00:19

What was Jagger's old address on Central Park West? I tried to find it last time I was there but I think they were doing construction on it (if it was the right one). Around 1978, 1979.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 28, 2012 01:18

Mathijs
I understood the corner of west 8th street & 6th avenue used to be a gay area, or a gay prostitute area. Any truth in that?

Mathijs

no. You are confusing 8th and 6th with 53rd Street btwn 1st and 3rd.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2012 02:40

chrism13
71Tele: My fathers place was 2 doors down from the Korean deli. My step mother still has the (4th fl) apartment. I used play my guitar there when I was just starting out back in the Mid-late 80's. Used to go Rays Pizza, Greys, Dublin House, Beacon Theater, Riverside & Central Parks...

Dublin House! It's so weird now with no smoke. Been to dozens of great shows at the Beacon. I really miss that neighborhood. The Park on one side, the river on the other. So many great places to eat.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: April 28, 2012 04:30

In the eighties Crazy Eddie stereo store was at that location too.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:17

Well, a bit down the block, back in the mid or late 70s, I first saw "Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones" at the 8th Street Playhouse.

Also saw a "long" version of "Let it Be" there and more early Beatles film than I've ever seen since [obligatory "Beatles Family" reference].

L&G played there for an awfully long time, but Rocky Horror was the real anchor of the place.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:29

Ugh - please delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-29 02:29 by JuanTCB.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: April 29, 2012 02:30

tomk
What was Jagger's old address on Central Park West? I tried to find it last time I was there but I think they were doing construction on it (if it was the right one). Around 1978, 1979.

He was at the San Remo - 75th/76th & CPW. I walk by it a few times a week - Mick had some swank digs!

Date: April 29, 2012 02:54

JuanTCB
tomk

He was at the San Remo - 75th/76th & CPW. I walk by it a few times a week - Mick had some swank digs!

The San Remo? In his book Chet Flippo makes Mick's apartment sound like a small duplex.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 29, 2012 03:33

I think Mick also had a place in the West 80s. Isn't that where the famous Carpet Incident in Bill German's book took place?

Date: April 29, 2012 03:47

71Tele
I think Mick also had a place in the West 80s. Isn't that where the famous Carpet Incident in Bill German's book took place?

I think Ronnie had a place on either W. 80th or 81st, near Riverside Drive.
The first time I was there I stayed at a place on 79th and Riverside, not knowing he was a block or two away.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: April 29, 2012 04:35

71Tele

As I recall Mick had a townhouse on E 72nd St. If memory serves me correct, the foyer had mosaic tile with the name Mick as the design. I believe it was in Lisa Robinson's column that I read that back in the mid '70's.

Mick and Bianca have found a townhouse on East 72nd Street, and Mr. J. has been puttering about the Electric Lady studios with friends.

[www.ratw.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-29 16:49 by Sam Spade.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1889
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home