Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Pete Fornatale dead at 66, longtime DJ
Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:02

Growing up in the NY/NJ area, I always listened to Pete Fornatale on WNEM FM.

Pete was currently working on a book about the Rolling Stones.

[www.hollywoodreporter.com]

Re: OT - Pete Fornatale dead at 66, longtime DJ
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 27, 2012 02:09

I loved his Sunday morning "Mixed Bag" program. This is the record he always ended the show with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-27 02:35 by tatters.

Date: April 27, 2012 02:22

A great example of Pete's skill as an interviewer.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 18:07 by tatters.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 27, 2012 03:42

best radio voice ever.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: April 27, 2012 04:25

custom55 - Thank you for starting this thread.

tatters, thank you for posting that song.

What era was he? I grew up in NY/LI too, but didn't even know his name until today.

Did anyone here know about the multimedia programs this article refers to? if so, what were they like? sounds fascinating!

-swiss

Date: April 28, 2012 03:17

For a while in the 90s, Pete and Howard Stern worked at the same station. Here, Howard has a little fun spoofing Pete's nice guy, folkie image.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 03:24 by tatters.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 28, 2012 13:38

His son had reached out to me, via Twitter, to ask for permission to use one of my IORR articles in their new book.

He and his Dad were working on a book to be titled, 50 Licks.

Sad.
RIP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-28 13:46 by Kurt.

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: April 28, 2012 13:43

Posted by: claremont29 ()
Date: April 28, 2012 15:15

Very sad news. One of the "true" first underground DJ's. Started playing "alternative"music without the sound of top forty DJ back in 1964 at college. Starting listening to Pete in 1969 at WNEW-FM. His music knowledge and passion for what he did was unmatched. My condolences to his family.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 28, 2012 15:52

..like everything else radio has changed, but hearing Pete Fornatelles voice on the radio always brought you back to a less complicated time....he made a difference.

Date: April 28, 2012 15:56

I heard music on "Mixed Bag" that I never heard anywhere else. Great stuff, like this Circus Maximus track from 1967.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 28, 2012 23:22

He was just at my local library in Northern NJ a few weeks ago. There was some kind of retrospective on Simon and Garfunkel and he gave a presentation. I didn't have a chance to actually see him or the program though.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: April 29, 2012 01:17

Date: July 14, 2012 19:31

Found this on [www.richiefuray.com]

Pete Fornatale was my friend, and it is very hard to reconcile his passing although I know, as a pastor, death is a very real part of life. Even Jesus as He was preparing for the death He would go through at Calvary, prayed to the Father “if there’s any other way let this cup pass from Me. Nevertheless, not my will but Yours be done.” And so it is we all come to death’s door on this journey of life.

Pete and I met through music and I can say without any hesitation, because of him, Poco had an opportunity to be heard in the northeast. Pete loved music; he loved Poco and it meant so much for me to know that “someone got it” and wasn’t intimidated to say so when our music was first introduced. Our friendship would grow over the years and certainly a testimony to that is – he would write the liner notes to three albums I was a part of (two Poco albums and most recently my solo album called Alive). In addition to his radio shows, Pete and I did many things together. He was comfortable to be around I can say we sincerely enjoyed each other’s company. Pete could do an interview without you ever thinking you were doing one; it was just casual conversation – it was always comfortable around Pete. I would never come to NYC without hoping to see him. We had many good times together – and I’m very thankful for those special moments.

When I brought my RF band back to NYC after many years of being away the music scene – Pete introduced us on the stage at BB Kings; just a couple of years ago up at Bethel Woods we did a live interview together; and just six short months ago we were together for a concert in Short Hills where he shared from his book on Simon and Garfunkel. It’s hard to believe those days are forever a memory now – but they will always bring a tear of joy to my eyes – it was and is a good feeling to know Pete Fornatale – my friend.

PS Thanks to Claudia Upton for the photos I have with Pete.

Richie Furay

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-14 19:48 by tatters.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 14, 2012 23:30

Thanks for this! Very moving. Furay's tribute must have please Pete's lovely family very much.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1336
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home