Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: willie nelson - 10 yrs older than Mick & Kieth...
Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 18, 2012 00:53

love willie nelson,i've seen him live many times but he has a very casual way of doing things.

pulls up in the bus,comes out and plays his show,gets back on the bus and he's gone.

to compare him to the stones is a bit silly.the stones do huge shows that draw thousands of people and are reviewed in the local newspapers at almost every stop,most times with front page coverage.

they have a mammoth legacy of live performances that has to be lived up to every night and it has got to be one daunting task.

if keith plays a few bum notes its in the papers and the internet catches fire with speculation that hes finished or if god forbid mick does a bad show,it aint slippin under the rader.i wish the stones could just carry on in a low key way and just play music like willie does but its never gonna happen.

Date: April 18, 2012 01:01

lem motlow
love willie nelson,i've seen him live many times but he has a very casual way of doing things.

pulls up in the bus,comes out and plays his show,gets back on the bus and he's gone.

to compare him to the stones is a bit silly.the stones do huge shows that draw thousands of people and are reviewed in the local newspapers at almost every stop,most times with front page coverage.

they have a mammoth legacy of live performances that has to be lived up to every night and it has got to be one daunting task.

if keith plays a few bum notes its in the papers and the internet catches fire with speculation that hes finished or if god forbid mick does a bad show,it aint slippin under the rader.i wish the stones could just carry on in a low key way and just play music like willie does but its never gonna happen.

Willie never claimed to be 'the greatest' anything. He never allowed it. He's just doing what he does - playing. I'm sure he's a load better than that ol' bump on a log Van Morrison.

Another thing? Willie obviously loves to play. Unlike the Stones. Willie doesn't need to build something equal to a new mall everytime he decides to tour.

The Stones used to be like that. Maybe. A long long long time ago. But something happened. It became only about money after 1978 it seems. Otherwise nothing would have ever happened past Some Girls, that big Tattoo Tour that was all about the money they made. The Stones are a spoiled gang of old kids that can't be bothered to do something they supposedly love unless it's going to pay $1.5 million per band member.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 18, 2012 01:29

i absolutley understand what you're saying welovetoplaytheblues.i didnt claim that willie ever said he was "'the greatest " or anything like that.

my point was that the stones have no choice-can you imagine all the disappointed fans who would have never seen the stones if they started playing theaters in 1978?

think of it like this,how many theater shows make one wembley stadium show?

its just not humanly possible for a band that famous to go that small,whether we like it or not.like i said,i'm a willie nelson fan and i go see him every chance i get but he's just simply not the draw the rolling stones are as a live act,thats just reality.

you dont know and neither do i how much the stones "love playing" i'm sure some nights willie wishes he were somewhere else, as do the stones.

the fans dont like to admit it-its show business.a job. you get as much money as you can.believe me,any act on the planet would do exactly what the stones do for the money they get,only a fool leaves it on the table.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: April 18, 2012 03:43

fun show he put on with his family
his son sounds just like him

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 18, 2012 05:15

riverrat
fun show he put on with his family
his son sounds just like him

His son is still trying to sound better than the old man. Give him time...

Posted by: KeefintheNight82 ()
Date: April 18, 2012 05:27

I guess he phones it in a bit now. I saw him ten years ago in Ashville Nc near the front row and it was one of the most amazing concerts Ive ever seen.

About two years ago I saw him and he just sorta played the songs for the first 6-8 and then he did Angel Flying too close to the ground and Always on my Mind, closed his eyes and dug in and it was mind blowing for 2-3 songs.

Gots him and Mickey's autograph too and Willie's warmth and kindness is palpable. Mickey is great too but Willie radiates something.

Tribute to Cindy Walker is my favorite recent release but Country Music is great too. I avoided the Ryan Adams produced cd 'songbird' for a long time but turns out its pretty awesome.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 18, 2012 06:51

Saw him tonight here in St. Louis. Had a great time, but was disappointed in the arrangements. He had a tendency to gut the songs a bit, making them slightly a-melodic and playing sliding octaves & scales on his guitar throughout, giving every song a feeling of sameness. Maybe he was in a Miles Davis sort of mood. Still, I recommend the show.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 18, 2012 12:48

Agreed: Songbird is excellent.

I think Willie goes through an album release programme thus:

Year 1: Contemporary Tunes a la Songbird, Great Divide
Year 2: Standards a la American Classic, Willie & The Wheel, You Don't Know Me
Year 3: Classic Country Tunes a la Country Music, Remember Me
Year 4: Oddities - Country Man
Year 5: Duet/live albums

Date: April 18, 2012 16:24

lem motlow
i absolutley understand what you're saying welovetoplaytheblues.i didnt claim that willie ever said he was "'the greatest " or anything like that.

my point was that the stones have no choice-can you imagine all the disappointed fans who would have never seen the stones if they started playing theaters in 1978?

think of it like this,how many theater shows make one wembley stadium show?

its just not humanly possible for a band that famous to go that small,whether we like it or not.like i said,i'm a willie nelson fan and i go see him every chance i get but he's just simply not the draw the rolling stones are as a live act,thats just reality.

you dont know and neither do i how much the stones "love playing" i'm sure some nights willie wishes he were somewhere else, as do the stones.

the fans dont like to admit it-its show business.a job. you get as much money as you can.believe me,any act on the planet would do exactly what the stones do for the money they get,only a fool leaves it on the table.

They do have a choice, they just continue to make the biggest money making choice and haven't played worth the value of a ticket for a while now. They over extend themselves a lot as of late, playing to half full stadiums. I think Willie has fun. Comparing the draw of fans to Willie and the Stones is hilarious. That's like comparing the amount of fans Led Zeppelin has to the Stones.

It's clearly abundantly obvious that the Stones don't love playing.

Date: April 18, 2012 18:36

tomcasagranda
Agreed: Songbird is excellent.

I think Willie goes through an album release programme thus:

Year 1: Contemporary Tunes a la Songbird, Great Divide
Year 2: Standards a la American Classic, Willie & The Wheel, You Don't Know Me
Year 3: Classic Country Tunes a la Country Music, Remember Me
Year 4: Oddities - Country Man
Year 5: Duet/live albums

I'd say more simply..for the last 10-15 years Willie has done the 'big' album every two years, with a big producer and guests. Then every other year he's done what he wants. Clearly, great divide (which I like), moment of forever (kenny chesney produced crap) were meant to be more commercial.

Date: April 18, 2012 18:56

Moment of Forever not liked.

Some of it is really good: I love Gravedigger, and the Kristofferson-covered title track. His Gotta Serve Somebody is not too bad either.

Great Divide is the one that spoilt a good momentum: Willie was coming off the back of Spirit and Teatro.

I'd like to see a comprehensive reissue programme of Willie's material, though.

For example, you have the Atlantic stuff from 1972/73 on Rhino. Red Headed Stranger should be issued in a 2cd legacy issue by Sony, as Stardust was a few years' back. Sings Kristofferson should also be reissued with extra tracks, outtakes, etc; likewise, One for The Road with Leon Russell with extra tracks, or a deluxe edition. I also think Half Nelson could be reissued with extra tracks, or as a deluxe edition with more duets.

As for Willie & Family Live from 1978: definitely a live deluxe 3cd set would, or should suffice. I'd also go for a deluxe edition of Across The Borderline, as it is an amazing album for a musician at 60, and produced by Don Was too. There's a fantastic John Hiatt track called The Most Unoriginal Sin on it.

Date: April 19, 2012 00:32

tomcasagranda

Some of it is really good: I love Gravedigger, and the Kristofferson-covered title track. His Gotta Serve Somebody is not too bad either.

Great Divide is the one that spoilt a good momentum: Willie was coming off the back of Spirit and Teatro.

For example, you have the Atlantic stuff from 1972/73 on Rhino. Red Headed Stranger should be issued in a 2cd legacy issue by Sony, as Stardust was a few years' back. Sings Kristofferson should also be reissued with extra tracks, outtakes, etc; likewise, One for The Road with Leon Russell with extra tracks, or a deluxe edition. I also think Half Nelson could be reissued with extra tracks, or as a deluxe edition with more duets.

As for Willie & Family Live from 1978: definitely a live deluxe 3cd set would, or should suffice. I'd also go for a deluxe edition of Across The Borderline, as it is an amazing album for a musician at 60, and produced by Don Was too. There's a fantastic John Hiatt track called The Most Unoriginal Sin on it.

i have a feeling something will be reissued but we already have expanded issues of:
red headed stranger
stardust
troublemaker
willie and family live
from lefty to willie
always on my mind
san antonio rose
tougher than leather
pancho and lefty
greatest hits and some that will be
honeysuckle rose
stardust (legacy edition) which seemed pretty useless to me
atlantic recordings

maybe a missed a 1 or 2 but those his most popular releases. an expanded SOUND IN YOUR MIND would be nice though

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: April 19, 2012 03:31

Saw Willie and Bob Dylan Greensboro NC baseball stadium in maybe 2005.
Went to see Bob and left a big Willie fan.

Date: April 19, 2012 10:23

tomcasagranda

Hey if you like Willie...there's brillance on every cd. I like the ones you cited on Moment of Forever...but it's got some crap on it too. Trying to hard to be commercial.

Good news for you too, Willie just inked a deal to do a reissue program with his involvement. I believe the deal included new work as well.

Date: April 19, 2012 10:59

KeefintheNight82
tomcasagranda

Hey if you like Willie...there's brillance on every cd. I like the ones you cited on Moment of Forever...but it's got some crap on it too. Trying to hard to be commercial.

Good news for you too, Willie just inked a deal to do a reissue program with his involvement. I believe the deal included new work as well.

yes he just resigned with LEGACY and has a new album due in mid May. LEGACY controls the catalogs of the byrds, blue oyster cult, heart, meat loaf, janis joplin, stevie ray vaughan, hendrix and many more

Date: April 19, 2012 14:13

Agreed - there is brilliance on every CD, but maybe he shouldn't be commercial.

I remember Teatro and Spirit: no way were they commercial: they were excellent albums.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 20, 2012 20:07

Did you know?

Today "In Austin, Texas, country music legend Willie Nelson, who's open
about his marijuana use, was expected to help unveil an 8-foot statue of
himself in downtown Austin at 4:20 p.m. local time on Friday
", April 20th 2012.

From this story- [apnews.myway.com] confirmed here [www.usnews.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-20 20:13 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 20, 2012 21:00

Hadn't heard about Willie being around today. But he's always around. I may not be able to attend as I am waiting to hear what kind of beer this was and if I need to get my ass up to Taylor:

Train hauling beer, cars, sugar derails
No injuries, but will take time to clear tracks

Updated: Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 1:14 PM CDT
Published : Thursday, 19 Apr 2012, 11:04 AM CDT

TAYLOR, Texas (KXAN) - A Union Pacific train hauling beer, sugar and new cars derailed Wednesday afternoon in Taylor.

Taylor Police Capt. Don Georgens said the wreck occurred near First and Elliott streets over the lunch hour, but that no one was injured. No hazardous materials were on board.

Seven train cars were on the track at the time and only one overturned. Georgens said one train car had new cars in it. The others were carrying sugar and beer.

It likely will take a few days to clear all the train cars, he said.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 20, 2012 21:55

Allow me to quote Hans, Homer and MH...
"UmmmmmmmmBeeeeeeer"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2083
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home