Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT..1912...TITANIC...2012
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2012 05:59

ROCKMAN

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: April 15, 2012 06:03

When we lived in England a book came out called The Riddle of the Titanic, which purported that it was the Olympic (Titanic's sister ship) and not the Titanic that had the fateful journey...kind of a conspiracy theory...

God bless those who lost their lives...
Off to watch A Night to Remember

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 15, 2012 06:21

memphiscats
When we lived in England a book came out called The Riddle of the Titanic, which purported that it was the Olympic (Titanic's sister ship) and not the Titanic that had the fateful journey...kind of a conspiracy theory...

God bless those who lost their lives...
Off to watch A Night to Remember

...on TCM channel right now...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 15, 2012 07:06

It's still a fascinating story. I was driving to a gig last night when an English Titanic expert and author was on the radio talking about it. Still very interesting.
A Night To Remember is still the definitive version. If you've read survivors accounts,
they're absolutely chilling. I thought Cameron's film was okay until I read how he said he "stopped short at Marxist dogma," so I just crossed him right off.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2012 07:13

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 15, 2012 07:18

I should point out that at this time (0220) 100 years ago the Titanic dissapeared from the surface.
I read with interest the latest National Geographic magazine article where the Titanic's last moments are described in an interesting pictoral. The author mentions something that I had never thought of: as the seperated bow and stern were tumbling towards the bottom of the ocean there were still people alive in those sections of the ship. It is completely unimaginable what it must have been like inside. Its still rather sad to think about.

Date: April 15, 2012 07:38

Happy Jack
I should point out that at this time (0220) 100 years ago the Titanic dissapeared from the surface.
I read with interest the latest National Geographic magazine article where the Titanic's last moments are described in an interesting pictoral. The author mentions something that I had never thought of: as the seperated bow and stern were tumbling towards the bottom of the ocean there were still people alive in those sections of the ship. It is completely unimaginable what it must have been like inside. Its still rather sad to think about.
Horrifying thought... from the freezingcold water... to the dropping(like a plummeting elevator)... to the quickly intensifying pressure of the water... it is horrifying... and very very sad.

What the hell were they thinking, dreaming, imagining to not have enough life boats, that is insanity... I guess, at the very least, those who persished did not do so in vain, for ever more the water ways were safer... why does it always take a disaster to make things change?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 15, 2012 16:14

Yes I have always been interested in the Titanic. The movie however is pathetic and should never have won an Academy Award.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 15, 2012 17:29

Max'sKansasCity
Thanks to Cindy for the twitter heads up earlier....

You're very welcome!

Date: April 15, 2012 18:02

CindyC
Max'sKansasCity
Thanks to Cindy for the twitter heads up earlier....

You're very welcome!
cool smiley

Reading the History twitter was very interesting....
and little did I know that both President Lincoln and the Titanic died on the same day

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 15, 2012 18:11

No offense - I hope every ship associated with "Titanic" sinks for good. This saga is worse than a day time soap opera!

Date: April 15, 2012 18:29

Chris Fountain
No offense - I hope every ship associated with "Titanic" sinks for good. This saga is worse than a day time soap opera!

I wonder if anyone else understands what that post even means?
You are comparing the real Titanic tragedy to fake TV soap operas? what the hell?

Date: April 15, 2012 18:54

Max'sKansasCity
Chris Fountain

You are comparing the real Titanic tragedy to fake TV soap operas? what the hell?

Ok- let me qualify my comments- Why is this boating accident more prevalent then any other? Boating accidents happen relentlesty. For example, a ship recently capsized on the Greece coast. These things happen all the time!

All I'm saying - Riding Airplanes, Horses, Boats , JetSkis, etc- these decisions are based on personal risk. I really don't think that individual choices of risk can be dramatised or ranked in any order. In other words, it's not worth a movie or TV show.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:09

Chris Fountain
Max'sKansasCity
Chris Fountain

Ok- let me qualify my comments- Why is this boating accident more prevalent then any other? Boating accidents happen relentlesty. For example, a ship recently capsized on the Greece coast. These things happen all the time!

All I'm saying - Riding Airplanes, Horses, Boats , JetSkis, etc- these decisions are based on personal risk. I really don't think that individual choices of risk can be dramatised or ranked in any order. In other words, it's not worth a movie or TV show.

Because there were survivors and hundreds that perished. Because many wealthy people survived while mostly the less fortunate did not. Because their were grave cost cutting measures with safety. Because it was the largest passenger ship of its time. Because it hit an iceberg and sank. Because it part of world history, an international event, because it was not located for decades, and because of the many unanswered questions. And the stories and lives...

Date: April 15, 2012 21:26

Sicilian -

All I'm saying is that are many trajedies in life surrounding us this very moment. Remember when I received unjust opinion because I announced a Tornado outbreak in the Plains? Why is it that Titanic is interpreted more important than any other loss of life? Even as we speak the Taliban are attacking all Afghan Fronts while our Stupid Government prolongs at the cost of young Americans. Unbelivable!! Now they are saying that troops won't be home until 2014 yep 2014 ... Money for Weapons and Armour should be instead invested in Education and Innovation.

Date: April 15, 2012 21:27

CindyC
The Sicilian
Nearer My God To Thee, the reported last song played on Titanic. And filled with the saddest scenes. Especially the poor mother talking her children to sleep knowing they are all about to die. Just heartbreaking.

The mother with the babies is heartbreaking. however it is said that the band did not actually play that song. It was thought it would create more of a panic amongst the remaining passengers. Some survivors said they played a song called "August". Not sure why.

The most reported last song played was "Nearer My God To Thee" and some reported hearing "Autumn" and some heard nothing. There is no definitive answer.

Date: April 15, 2012 21:38

Chris Fountain
Sicilian -

All I'm saying is that are many trajedies in life surrounding us this very moment. Remember when I received unjust opinion because I announced a Tornado outbreak in the Plains? Why is it that Titanic is interpreted more important than any other loss of life? Even as we speak the Taliban are attacking all Afghan Fronts while our Stupid Government prolongs at the cost of young Americans. Unbelivable!! Now they are saying that troops won't be home until 2014 yep 2014 ... Money for Weapons and Armour should be instead invested in Education and Innovation.

I hear you, but your really digressing. When discussing a historical moment, it is difficult to compare current events in the same context. As an extreme lover of history, I try to focus on the event and time period of the topic of interest. 100 years from now, our descendants will be discussing our events and making judgements of our time. They can then decide if we were all innovators or just foolish inhabitants of the period.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 15, 2012 21:46

Chris Fountain
Why is it that Titanic is interpreted more important than any other loss of life?

You think it's all a matter of how many lives that are lost that decides what makes an historic event hostorical and facinating ? You got a VERY limited view on things. Titanic is the story about man's selfmade luxurious safety and belief in his creation. Something that failed miserably when nature confronted man's arrogance. It's not just the loss of lives that makes it interesting

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-15 21:51 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 15, 2012 22:18

Date: April 15, 2012 22:21

Date: April 15, 2012 22:24

Index cards from The Associated Press Corporate Archive in New York list stories written by the wire service about the Titanic.

Date: April 15, 2012 22:25

Date: April 15, 2012 22:26

Date: April 15, 2012 22:31

Erik_Snow
Chris Fountain
Why is it that Titanic is interpreted more important than any other loss of life?

You think it's all a matter of how many lives that are lost that decides what makes an historic event hostorical and facinating ? You got a VERY limited view on things. Titanic is the story about man's selfmade luxurious safety and belief in his creation. Something that failed miserably fantastically and totally when nature confronted man's arrogance. It's not just the loss of lives that makes it interesting

Minor adjustment.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 15, 2012 23:18

Of course as soon as it was called unsinkable the ship was doomed, Reminds me of a family trip when I was a kid where my mother declared that our Pontiac was worth it's weight in gold. Of course a few miles down the road the Pontiac broke down.

It's interesting watching some of the shows and documenataries and realizing how many mistakes and freak occurances contributed to the tragedy. The wrong rivets used on the hull, the watchman showing up without his binoculars which shortened his vision, the messenger that supposedly ignored warnings of icebergs headed towards the Titanic, the unusually warm weather allowing the iceberg to drift further south than anticipated, the lack of lifeboats. It was a perfect storm of mistakes and freak occurances that took the ship down.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 16, 2012 01:56

Great pictures, EG. A hundred years, that's quite a long time passing. Seems like another world. Just imagine the world a hundred years ago. I wonder if you can?

Date: April 16, 2012 02:03

Stoneage
Great pictures, EG. A hundred years, that's quite a long time passing. Seems like another world. Just imagine the world a hundred years ago. I wonder if you can?

Central Heating/Air Conditioning and underarm deodorant alone
makes me happy I was not born 100 ago.... not to mention light switches,
indoor flush toilets, planes, automobiles and The Rolling Stones

Date: April 16, 2012 02:09

Max'sKansasCity
Stoneage

Central Heating/Air Conditioning and underarm deodorant alone
makes me happy I was not born 100 ago.... not to mention light switches,
indoor flush toilets, planes, automobiles and The Rolling Stones

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 16, 2012 18:26

Edith Grove

WOW !
I had never heard this song.
Thanks my dear .
<<An iceberg I know mine was changed Let me tell you God who is on the water ..on the water everybody had to run and pray Our mothers were told and our ...
<<

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: April 16, 2012 18:27

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home