Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Johnny Cash comments
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: July 15, 2020 22:09

I say "Funny thing" but this was amazing.

I post on a Johnny Cash FB Page, as I love Johnny's music. Anyway, the recent Cash reference was to Man In Black, the 1971 folky rock album and title track.

I mentioned that, bearing in mind Cash wrote social protest tunes, was aware of man's inhumanity to man, that he and David Bowie would be aghast at the way the world is now.

One person reacted in a very strange, peculiar way: he said how could I refer to Cash and Bowie in the same sentence, and that Bowie was a "degenerate". Now, I thought music was supposed to transcend all boundaries ? Just thought I'd share, as I thought such attitudes were antediluvian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-07-16 19:16 by bv.

Re: OT - Funny Thing
Posted by: BlueTurns2Grey ()
Date: July 15, 2020 22:24

It was such a good thing to grow up in the 60ies and 70ies. The world got closer at that time, the european borders opened step by step. We felt like one world. Music was a good thing to come together and now everything is going backward. Some minds have changed over the time. Poor young people, they have to fight for everything again. It seems that prejudices never die.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: July 15, 2020 23:50

Welcome to a little slice of Rosanne Cash's world cool smiley

Rosanne has had to fight off fans of her dad's on social media and elsewhere (in person and print) on what they believe her dad would have though about everything from her music, to politics, to religion etc. Often.
Have met her a few times, seen her many, and have read and heard her mention this phenomenon often. You can see it in real time even now on responses to some of her Twitter posts..
How her dad would be ashamed etc. Such nonsense.

Big fan of both her and her dads..

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 16, 2020 00:33

tomcasagranda

I post on a Johnny Cash FB Page, as I love Johnny's music.

As you're a Cash fan, I wondered if you'd seen this upcoming release and might be interested.

" . . Touching on just about every song one would wish for him to play at a concert in 1973, the stacked set list includes choice guest appearances from both his wife June Carter Cash and fellow Sun Records alumnus, Carl Perkins. Opening with the iconic "Big River" through a heavy take on Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" a breezy jaunt through "A Boy Named Sue" to "Hey Porter" to "I Walk The Line" to "Jackson" and "Folsom Prison Blues" it's a wonder at how many downright PURE hits were just...the songs in his set.

Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony Music and the estate of Johnny Cash are ecstatic to release A Night to Remember. Presented here for the first time ever is the full show multi-track recording of Cash's performance from that spring night of 1973.. . "

[vault.thirdmanstore.com]

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 16, 2020 01:48

Johnny Cash, in terms of the country music industry and its leanings, was considered fairly liberal. He was always for the downtrodden, those without, those cast aside by society. A statement by him that I read years ago in a long gone music magazine, Musician, still remains with me to this day: "Give a hungry man a biscuit and he don't care what your politics are." These are very true words. Cash was also very good friends with the late preacher, Billy Graham, who was rather conservative compared to Cash. In that Musician magazine interview, Cash noted that he and Graham differed on many points and argued over the same, but that's what made their friendship strong: They could disagree but stay okay with each other, accepting of and learning from the other's viewpoint. This brings to mind another icon in terms of the country music/country leanings genre/viewpoint - the late Andy Griffith - good ol' Sheriff Andy of Mayberry. Griffith was a lifelong Democrat which surprised any number of people. So, going back to the opening of this thread, I would take many peoples musings/postings with a grain of salt. Like many others, they probably know little of the history of the people they refer to.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: July 16, 2020 03:14

Johnny - and I'm pretty sure Andy too - were both Christian men in all the good senses of that word.

So am I.

Date: July 16, 2020 18:45

MisterDDDD
Welcome to a little slice of Rosanne Cash's world cool smiley

Rosanne has had to fight off fans of her dad's on social media and elsewhere (in person and print) on what they believe her dad would have though about everything from her music, to politics, to religion etc. Often.
Have met her a few times, seen her many, and have read and heard her mention this phenomenon often. You can see it in real time even now on responses to some of her Twitter posts..
How her dad would be ashamed etc. Such nonsense.

Big fan of both her and her dads..

I can now empathise with Rosanne, as I thought music was, metaphorically speaking, a broad church. To refuse to accept David Bowie, or any other artist, due to difference is a little bit negative to say the very least. I like Johnny because he didn't have the redneck mentality, and accepted music, musicians, people broadly. I also like Bowie too for the same reasons.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: July 16, 2020 21:03

tomcasagranda
I can now empathise with Rosanne, as I thought music was, metaphorically speaking, a broad church. To refuse to accept David Bowie, or any other artist, due to difference is a little bit negative to say the very least. I like Johnny because he didn't have the redneck mentality, and accepted music, musicians, people broadly. I also like Bowie too for the same reasons.

Yes. He sang songs of artists one would not connect with him at all. His renditions of One by U2 or Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode for instance are absolutely outstanding. And his take on Hurt by Nine Inch Nails is my absolutely all time favourite "cover." I don't know anything about him and Bowie, but I can't see a reason why he wouldn't feel anything but respect to the younger singer...

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: July 16, 2020 21:13

A couple Christmases back the wife got me the authoritative tome on The Andy Grffith show- a staple since childhood- as told by all the surviving insiders who worked on the show. Turns out Andy Griffith was a fairly ruthless hard ass wife swapping booze hound who was jealous of Don Knotts multiple Emmy awards and wouldnt give him a percentage so Knotts split. Lonesome Rhodes was the more revealing role. Toward the end of his life Griffith observed he wished he'd been more like Sheriff Andy Taylor. We were both sorry we read the book! Still one of the greatest shows ever (first 5 seasons anways)

Re: OT: Johnny Cash comments
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: July 16, 2020 23:20

The only thing I can thing of is there's one in every crowd...somebodys always gotta say something negative.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 17, 2020 13:46

Good Evening My Name is Johnny Cash

Date: July 17, 2020 17:07

Aquamarine
tomcasagranda

I post on a Johnny Cash FB Page, as I love Johnny's music.

As you're a Cash fan, I wondered if you'd seen this upcoming release and might be interested.

" . . Touching on just about every song one would wish for him to play at a concert in 1973, the stacked set list includes choice guest appearances from both his wife June Carter Cash and fellow Sun Records alumnus, Carl Perkins. Opening with the iconic "Big River" through a heavy take on Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Coming Down" a breezy jaunt through "A Boy Named Sue" to "Hey Porter" to "I Walk The Line" to "Jackson" and "Folsom Prison Blues" it's a wonder at how many downright PURE hits were just...the songs in his set.

Third Man Records, in conjunction with Sony Music and the estate of Johnny Cash are ecstatic to release A Night to Remember. Presented here for the first time ever is the full show multi-track recording of Cash's performance from that spring night of 1973.. . "

[vault.thirdmanstore.com]

Thanks for this. I hope it's good.

Date: July 17, 2020 17:17

Happy24
tomcasagranda

Yes. He sang songs of artists one would not connect with him at all. His renditions of One by U2 or Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode for instance are absolutely outstanding. And his take on Hurt by Nine Inch Nails is my absolutely all time favourite "cover." I don't know anything about him and Bowie, but I can't see a reason why he wouldn't feel anything but respect to the younger singer...

It was me mentioning Bowie, thinking about how much Bowie was attuned to society,as Cash, Bob Marley, Chris Cornell, all were, that caused the problem with this guy. He couldn't see beyond a perceived image, feeling that there was something amiss with Bowie from a personal viewpoint.

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: July 19, 2020 05:16

Johnny Cash was a bit of a degenerate at times as well!

Date: July 19, 2020 13:11

There was an artist once, Eric Gill, who lived at the end of 19th Century and the beginning of the 20th Century. Gill Typesetting font is named after him.

Anyway, 60 odd years after he passed away, it was found that he led a particularly, peculiarly disturbing lifestyle. It was alleged that he had numerous affairs with both men and women, and that he had incestuous relationships with his daughters; a sexual relationship with his dog was also confirmed. However, Gill's illustrations for the New Testament still remain in print, and have not been destroyed. The typesetting still remains as a font, too.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: July 19, 2020 13:51

the dude commenting about Bowie being a degenerate says more about his ignorance than anything else.....times they are a changing.

Date: July 20, 2020 17:01

Rip This
the dude commenting about Bowie being a degenerate says more about his ignorance than anything else.....times they are a changing.

Agreed. I'd like to think that Cash, Dylan, The Beatles, Stones, etc broke down some of the appalling barriers people had musically, socially, politically, and intellectually.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 21, 2020 19:41

tomcasagranda
I say "Funny thing" but this was amazing.

I post on a Johnny Cash FB Page, as I love Johnny's music. Anyway, the recent Cash reference was to Man In Black, the 1971 folky rock album and title track.

I mentioned that, bearing in mind Cash wrote social protest tunes, was aware of man's inhumanity to man, that he and David Bowie would be aghast at the way the world is now.

One person reacted in a very strange, peculiar way: he said how could I refer to Cash and Bowie in the same sentence, and that Bowie was a "degenerate". Now, I thought music was supposed to transcend all boundaries ? Just thought I'd share, as I thought such attitudes were antediluvian.

FB is full of idiots like that. Troglodytes of the world have come together to poison social media with their opinions based on stupidity and zero facts. Obviously they know nothing about David Bowie or Johnny Cash, who in his time of being a degenerate did more drugs than Keith Richards did in his entire life, you know, in a per capita kind of thing.

That's too funny. Bowie is the degenerate - HA! Cash was quite an awful person when he was young and was an incredible hypocrite. Some of the shit he did...

Bowie's a degenerate. That's fantastic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2020
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home