Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

SPARKS WILL FLY live better than ever
Posted by: RawIguanaCologne ()
Date: April 7, 2020 08:59

Just watched a few "full shows" of 1994 ( following your IORR Thread about the rehearsals with Ackroyd) , and I gotta say, SPARKS that I´d never even concede pure existence , sounds quite terrific!

What´s really haunting me is hearing Keith do new songs with pure devotion!!!
That´s what I missed from then but definitely from 2000´s on...

Re: SPARKS WILL FLY live better than ever
Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:39

Well,
2005 Boston, Fenway Park ... Rough Justice, Oh no not you again, Back of my Hand (!!!). These are just a few that pop up in my head ...
smileys with beer

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:40

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: April 7, 2020 10:52

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

Yeahhhhh, great!

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 13, 2020 03:05

RawIguanaCologne
Just watched a few "full shows" of 1994 ( following your IORR Thread about the rehearsals with Ackroyd) , and I gotta say, SPARKS that I´d never even concede pure existence , sounds quite terrific!

Tokyo 1995 has a great Sparks Will Fly!

It gets better and better as time goes on!

Date: April 13, 2020 03:46

My favorite tour hands down was Voodoo Lounge. However out of all the 25 plus Stones shows I have seen Columbia Mo on that tour was by far my worst Stones show ever. But on the other hand Little Rock was amazing!

And I agree Sparks Will Fly great live

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-13 03:49 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 13, 2020 04:50

Always liked the live version! Bought the VHS live Giants Stadium show at the concert in Vancouver. Glad I bought it, at the time I was second guessing because I thought I would find it cheaper in stores afterwards, but it was never available.

Posted by: exilestones ()
Date: April 13, 2020 05:17

DGA35
Always liked the live version! Bought the VHS live Giants Stadium show

Yeah, another great one!

Keith probably doing the song with pure devotion because he and the band (the whole band was great) were really into their new song.

When Mick belted out, "Better tell the fire chief To quit playing cards," he meant it! SPARKS WILL FLY went well that tour.

It's definitely cool to see the Stones perform a new song well in concert at the time it was freshly created.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 13, 2020 05:18

Live and studio are duds to me. The riff is too “scratchy” and thin, not FULL enough to my ears.

Rod

Posted by: cyclist ()
Date: April 13, 2020 07:37

I was 11 when I saw the video for Love Is Strong and became awestruck by these larger than life stars. All I knew of the Stones was Satisfaction from the oldies radio station (yes, the Stones were oldies then). I asked my parents for Voodoo Lounge for Xmas and got it, so I have a soft spot in my heart for these songs. Sparks is one of several great tracks on that album.

Can you believe I still had to BEG my mother to take me to the BTB tour? I got my way of course, and it was a great show. She said she always preferred the Stones over the Beatles when she was a girl...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: April 13, 2020 09:38

I’m fckng flabbergasted how good those songs from Bigger Bang and Voodoo are when they play them live.
I simply cannot understand why on earth these guys who have been in the damn music business for half a century can’t see that their music is not being recorded properly.
I watch these videos of The Voodoo tour, Bridges and Bigger Bang and they’re tearing the roof off the place with songs from records that are just lifeless pieces of crap.
I guess I’m a hypocrite because I wouldn’t have the guts to say it to their faces either but are there really no Stu’s or Bill Wymans or Anitas in their lives at all anymore?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: April 13, 2020 14:20

jumpontopofmebaby
My favorite tour hands down was Voodoo Lounge. However out of all the 25 plus Stones shows I have seen Columbia Mo on that tour was by far my worst Stones show ever. But on the other hand Little Rock was amazing!

Miami and New Orleans were great as well. I saw them in Raleigh.

Posted by: iraq0708 ()
Date: April 14, 2020 03:35

Chris Fountain
jumpontopofmebaby

I thought Columbia was a damn good show actually. Why wasn't it IYO ? Just curious...

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 14, 2020 06:55

Sparks Will Fly? Really? It's one of those throwaways like Sad, Sad, Sad, or Dirty Work. There's almost always at least one on each album since Undercover.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: April 14, 2020 07:58

24FPS
Sparks Will Fly? Really? It's one of those throwaways like Sad, Sad, Sad, or Dirty Work. There's almost always at least one on each album since Undercover.

And on Voodoo Lounge, it's the second of two consecutive throwaways. With those two throwaways being the second and third tracks, it doesn't bode well for the album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-14 10:53 by ab.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 14, 2020 18:57

KRiffhard
[youtu.be]

A great version indeed, the whole band rolls, and Lisa Fisher looks very sexy.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: April 14, 2020 20:52

georgie48
Well,
2005 Boston, Fenway Park ... Rough Justice, Oh no not you again, Back of my Hand (!!!). These are just a few that pop up in my head ...
smileys with beer

you can't play songs with conviction if they lack just that to begin with

Date: April 14, 2020 21:48

Chris Fountain
jumpontopofmebaby

I watched the Pay Per view for Miami!

Date: April 14, 2020 21:54

iraq0708
Chris Fountain
jumpontopofmebaby

I thought Columbia was a damn good show actually. Why wasn't it IYO ? Just curious...

Just seemed to lack the intensity to me. It was the my first of three for that tour.

I had not seen them since 1989 and it just did not leave me thinking holy moly like they usually did in the past.

I did Little Rock next...one of my all time favorites and Dallas after that. Both were great,'

Maybe the lack of alcohol sales had something to do with it!

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: April 14, 2020 22:06

I always thought that VL is a fantastic album, I gladly put it among my 5 favorite albums.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 14, 2020 23:32

24FPS

thumbs up "Sparks Will Fly" is Keith's nadir as a songwriter : Chinese bs riff, crap lyrics. The seual metaphor is pitiful, almost as bad as a Kid Rock tune.

And this... eye popping smiley grinning smiley
"Better tell the fire chief
To quit playing cards"

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 15, 2020 17:54

I liked it, just like I liked YGMR, in 1994. By 1995 when STRIPPED came out, VOODOO LOUNGE started to lose its appeal. By BRIDGES TO BABYLON, I only listened to Love Is Strong, The Worst and I Go Wild.

Sparks Will Fly is indeed Stones by numbers. It was fun when it was new but it didn't take long for the ridiculous lyrics to sink in... and rest on the bottom. They're horrible. The music is generic Stones.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: April 15, 2020 19:33

lem motlow
I’m fckng flabbergasted how good those songs from Bigger Bang and Voodoo are when they play them live.
I simply cannot understand why on earth these guys who have been in the damn music business for half a century can’t see that their music is not being recorded properly.
I watch these videos of The Voodoo tour, Bridges and Bigger Bang and they’re tearing the roof off the place with songs from records that are just lifeless pieces of crap.
I guess I’m a hypocrite because I wouldn’t have the guts to say it to their faces either but are there really no Stu’s or Bill Wymans or Anitas in their lives at all anymore?
I think part of it as far as the live presentation of new material is initially if the crowd reaction is not there , then they get tossed off the set list and into the scrap pile . You know a producer that works with the twins has to have a set of steel cajones and the backbone to go along with it to stand up to them and tell them that this works and this does not work . Also to help them in song selections as to what makes it on to the recorded album and what gets tossed . Don Was does not strike me as that type of individual and I am not knocking him either as I would be too star struck to even form a sentence that was coherent , more like -yeah that was rocking or some meaning less chatter . It has to be like trying to re carve Mt. Rushmore or something . Can you imagine how intimidating it would be for one of us to first be in the presence of Mick Jagger ? Keith , I think would be much easier to converse with , but not that would mean to get him to budge on a thought or idea . As I write this I am getting intimidated at the mere prospect of this sentiment . I am not worthy !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-15 19:51 by TheGreek.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 15, 2020 20:24

"Sharks will cry" ... nonsensical lyrics! But despite that, it's a pretty damn good song!

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 15, 2020 20:39

jumpontopofmebaby

My first of 14 shows was the Mizzou show. I was just happy to see them at all at that point, but upon reflection I think it was just a low energy crowd/night. Maybe the fact that they couldn't sell beer at the stadium them brought down the buzz, lol.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 15, 2020 23:04

Just listen to Sparks will Fly from Voodoo Stew and Voodoo Brew as it gets pieced together.
as Keith sings/rasps the main idea/ hook part, he uses a Nashville or 12-String acoustic. sounds a bit like As Tears Go By or something in that vein.

later on, the verse part in G-b, has the delta blues all over it.
the electric versions have Ron's nice B-bender licks going, then Mick does some proper singing on it.
The later studio production is of course polished to the brink.

certainly not a throwaway for me smoking smiley

from TrackTalk:
We had a big bonfire going one night out in Ronnie's garden. I was throwing all these logs on it, and these sparks started flying, and suddenly I started running back to the studio, I've got one! Incoming! Charlie was the only guy there, and he and I played the thing. Nobody else was allowed to play it for months, until we'd got it right. It all has to do with the rhythm and the guitar, and after that the rest of it fell into place. Charlie's laying down the law on that one. You've got to know a guy so well to play that tight together. It's unspoken, because it's all going by in front of you in 3 seconds.
- Keith Richards, 1994

All I had here, exactly, was the hook (sings because sparks will fly) and the way it was taking off. Mick's bit was the other bit where we hit the verse - boom. It dovetailed straight in, and we had that.
- Keith Richards, June 1994

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: April 16, 2020 01:20

24FPS

I'll take the fillers from the boys around this time over any of the main stream AOR grunge sh!t.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: April 16, 2020 02:58

open-g
Just listen to Sparks will Fly from Voodoo Stew and Voodoo Brew as it gets pieced together.
as Keith sings/rasps the main idea/ hook part, he uses a Nashville or 12-String acoustic. sounds a bit like As Tears Go By or something in that vein.

later on, the verse part in G-b, has the delta blues all over it.
the electric versions have Ron's nice B-bender licks going, then Mick does some proper singing on it.
The later studio production is of course polished to the brink.

certainly not a throwaway for me smoking smiley

from TrackTalk:
We had a big bonfire going one night out in Ronnie's garden. I was throwing all these logs on it, and these sparks started flying, and suddenly I started running back to the studio, I've got one! Incoming! Charlie was the only guy there, and he and I played the thing. Nobody else was allowed to play it for months, until we'd got it right. It all has to do with the rhythm and the guitar, and after that the rest of it fell into place. Charlie's laying down the law on that one. You've got to know a guy so well to play that tight together. It's unspoken, because it's all going by in front of you in 3 seconds.
- Keith Richards, 1994

All I had here, exactly, was the hook (sings because sparks will fly) and the way it was taking off. Mick's bit was the other bit where we hit the verse - boom. It dovetailed straight in, and we had that.
- Keith Richards, June 1994

That never happened; it was just good enough for the album, and considering what they left off the album, some extremely poor choices were made. Sparks Will Fly is one of them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1908
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home