Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie's Crotch Music gave inspiration on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow?
Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 13, 2020 11:54

The most danceable, Hathaway-esque, cross over funky tune in his history.
I can only say that it's great.
It seems to me that Jeff and George M have developed and refined the atmosphere of this song.

Re: Ronnie's Crotch Music gave inspiration on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow?
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: April 13, 2020 13:55

hmmm i do understand your point of view, but that's not entirely true.

Jeff Beck was a huge fan of the Mahavishnu Orchestra and especially of guitarist John McLaughlin. And Jeff wanted to play that kind of music. Therefore; Blow by Blow and Wired.

Date: April 13, 2020 14:46

That's correct Sir. Actually Jeff Beck and his band and the Mahavishnu Orchestra toured together; and McLaughlin is a huge fan of Jeff Beck. Jeff got a white Stratocaster from John as a present.

Jeff Beck ft John McLaughlin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-13 14:50 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 13, 2020 16:50

I once saw a double bill of Jeff and Mahavishnu Orch in Boston. In fact, I think they did TWO shows the same day/night.
McGlaughlin an amazing guitarist as well - saw him many times back then. Jeff still rates as #1 all time for me.

Date: April 13, 2020 18:04

At least, he'd be a fool not to let himself be inspired by it. GREAT track! thumbs up

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 13, 2020 18:59

got to check my dates! I always thought Blow by Blow came out before I've Got My Own Album ... damn!

** edit, wow Ronnie's album did come out ahead of Beck's but only by a few months, but still, from what I read on a web site, most of Blow By Blow was done in '74, it just wasn't released until '75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-13 19:01 by LeonidP.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: April 13, 2020 19:02

... of course they worked together a lot and even in same bands, so no doubt both were influenced by each other at times.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 13, 2020 19:29

There's also this which was recorded in Sept. '74 prior to Blow by Blow which was recorded in Oct. '74.
Five Faces of the Guitar - BBC Two England, 1 September 1974

From Upp drummer Jim Copley (and via wiki) Upp:

"Three months of rehearsing almost everyday, Jeff Beck came down to the studio to play with David Bowie who was doing his Hammersmith Odeon farewell concert in 1973. Jeff was with a friend of my dad’s and he heard the band through the wall and we were doing James Brown and very funky stuff. He kicked the door open and he came in and we stopped 'cause it was Jeff Beck and he said 'please carry on, I love it, I love it!’" The band was heavily influenced by other acts like Otis Redding, Sly & The Family Stone, Stevie Wonder and Donny Hathaway.

So the seeds of the this Upp/Beck collaboration began some time in 1973. Could be possible that Ronnie was inspired by Upp and Jeff Beck rather than the other way around.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-04-13 19:33 by Hairball.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2048
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home