Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: "Let it Rock" question
Date: March 26, 2012 07:02

scottkeef
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
scottkeef
How in the world could one get "Paint It Black" outta that?????

Because that's what the guy says.

There is NO way that is "Paint It Black"

The guy yells 'Paint It Black'. There is no way it's confusing or anything else.

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 26, 2012 07:08

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
scottkeef
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
scottkeef
How in the world could one get "Paint It Black" outta that?????

Because that's what the guy says.

There is NO way that is "Paint It Black"

The guy yells 'Paint It Black'. There is no way it's confusing or anything else.
Yup...it's definitely Paint it Black...
YOU DEVILSsmoking smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: March 26, 2012 07:59

alimente
Erik_Snow
What do you hear the woman shouting out for in GYYYO then? Let It Rock there as well ?

Eeeeeehm, yes. Simply because in 1969, mid-sixties psychedelia was gone and people were up for, yes, ROCK. Plus, shouting "Let It Rock" in a Stones show is not too far off the mark. It's surely not like shouting "Let It Rock" in an ABBA concert, right?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to stay logical.

Of course I was joking here (just acting before instead of reacting after the complaints roll in!).

Posted by: Raluca ()
Date: March 26, 2012 08:41

I always thought that´s Mick Jagger´s voice, standing away from the microphon. It sounds like Jagger !!!

Greetings Ralusca

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 26, 2012 09:14

alimente
alimente
Erik_Snow
What do you hear the woman shouting out for in GYYYO then? Let It Rock there as well ?

Eeeeeehm, yes. Simply because in 1969, mid-sixties psychedelia was gone and people were up for, yes, ROCK. Plus, shouting "Let It Rock" in a Stones show is not too far off the mark. It's surely not like shouting "Let It Rock" in an ABBA concert, right?

Sorry, but I'm just trying to stay logical.

Of course I was joking here (just acting before instead of reacting after the complaints roll in!).

Attack is always better than defence, you got that right

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: March 27, 2012 05:02

rocker1
Wow, this is just freaky!

When I listen to this and have the words "Let it Rock" in my head, as if that's what I'm expecting him to say, I clearly hear "Let it rock."

When I listen and have the words "Paint it black" in my head, as if that's what I'm expecting him to say, I clearly hear "Paint it black."

I've done this now about 10 times each way, and I hear it clearly both ways depending on whether I'm listening for confirmation of LIR or PIB.

It's like a brain teaser, or something.

I don't doubt when considering the historical "evidence and context" that it's probably PIB, but I DO hear Let it Rock also when listening for that.

Do you see an old hag, or a young woman? This thread is sort of the aural equivalent of this old visual illusion.

I can still hear both, depending on what I want to hear when I listen to this!

For years I thought this was LIR until now forced to re-examine it. But I'm now ready to concede and defer to the PIB'ers.

Fun thread.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: March 27, 2012 06:30

rocker1
Do you see an old hag, or a young woman? This thread is sort of the aural equivalent of this old visual illusion.

I can still hear both, depending on what I want to hear when I listen to this!

For years I thought this was LIR until now forced to re-examine it. But I'm now ready to concede and defer to the PIB'ers.

Fun thread.

I had the same thoughts listening to the whole "Don't want to hear it from the beginning. Just...drop it in" discussion from awhile back.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:49

Funny. For 25 years there hasn't been a split second I have thought it was anything else then 'Let it Rock' being shouted by an audience member. But is sure is 'Paint it black' being shouted from the front row or balcony!

Mathijs

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: March 27, 2012 12:59

Thats a member of the audience CLEARLY shouting out Paint It Black.

Matter resolved. Read Gazza's logical post & then we can go on discussing more imprtant issues like whether there actually will be a tour or even a few shows next year.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 27, 2012 13:07

Ridiculous thread! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Tis all quite straight forward, quite simply this guy wanted to hear them play Paint It Black.

Date: March 27, 2012 13:35

His Majesty

Tis all quite straight forward, quite simply this guy wanted to hear them play Paint It Black.

Or he just wanted to shout out loud 'paint it black'. That can happen you know, this sudden urge to shout. Maybe he hates the song.

Mathijs

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 27, 2012 13:37

Mathijs
His Majesty

Or he just wanted to shout out loud 'paint it black'. That can happen you know, this sudden urge to shout. Maybe he hates the song.

Mathijs

Ok.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 27, 2012 15:53

Mel Belli
It's so clearly "Paint It Black," I can't even believe this is up for debate!

100% agree

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 27, 2012 15:53

muenke
I´ve heard this 1000times and this is "Paint it black", for sure, coming from the audience, first row!

Sounds more like the second row to me >grinning smiley<

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 2, 2012 19:46

I listened to it again over the weekend and still think it's Let it Rock, called out with an American accent - maybe Bobby Keys?

Posted by: GOO ()
Date: April 2, 2012 19:52

Paint it black

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: April 2, 2012 20:17

xke38
I listened to it again over the weekend and still think it's Let it Rock, called out with an American accent - maybe Bobby Keys?

Why would Bobby Keys shout Paint It Black? It wasn't on the set list, he wouldn't play on it if it was and it aint his type of music anyway.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 3, 2012 04:40

I really don't get it. It's so obvious!
After the release of YaYa's in late 70 with the famous Paint it black scream it had started to become a running gag at Stones gigs to do/repeat those funny interruptions. It happened first on the 71 British tour and on many other tours later.

Date: April 3, 2012 05:37

xke38

April Fool's is only for one day.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2012 06:24

CousinC
After the release of YaYa's in late 70 with the famous Paint it black scream it had started to become a running gag at Stones gigs to do/repeat those funny interruptions. It happened first on the 71 British tour and on many other tours later.

Really? First I'd heard of this. And they finally obliged about 18 years later!

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: April 3, 2012 14:11

crumbling_mice
xke38

Why would Bobby Keys shout Paint It Black? It wasn't on the set list, he wouldn't play on it if it was and it aint his type of music anyway.

Not having listened to it over headphones, I'm still a Let it Rock proponent...

Posted by: bobcat ()
Date: April 3, 2012 15:38

I'd always thought it was 'Let It Rock' but...listening again....it's 'Paint It Black'...how amazing!

I think the running gag theory explains it.

A bit like a friend of mine calling out for 'Let's Work' when we went to see the Stones at Twickenham in 2003.

It was funny at the time....you had to be there...

Date: April 3, 2012 15:40

xke38
crumbling_mice
xke38

Not having listened to it over headphones, I'm still a Let it Rock proponent...

An obvious case of ignorance is bliss!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 3, 2012 15:57

PIB??? haha you guys got peanut butter in yer ears...

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 3, 2012 17:43

71Tele
CousinC

You never experienced it? Particularly in the 70's there have always been some more or less drunken fellows who tried to be witty by repeating those requests.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 3, 2012 18:31

CousinC
71Tele
CousinC

You never experienced it? Particularly in the 70's there have always been some more or less drunken fellows who tried to be witty by repeating those requests.

No, my seats were always in the rafters in those days!

Date: April 3, 2012 19:07

CousinC
71Tele
CousinC

There's quite a few boots with someone shouting PIB. Honolulu 73, MSG 75, Philly 81 I believe, Rotterdam 82.

Mathijs

Posted by: Brown Moses ()
Date: April 3, 2012 19:54

For something so uber trivial this has been an interesting thread.
I was firmly in the camp of *unidentified band member shouts out Let It Rock before band crashes into song*.
However it was barbecue (I think) who suggested we should listen to the banter between Jagger and crowd in the minute before LIR begins.I'd never really listened to this before or if I had it made no impression...but (if you do listen to it),you clearly hear the same voice shouting "Paint It Black" twice and then there are cries of "anything,anything" which lead us to the same voice shouting "Paint It Black" a split second before the band starts LIR.It's irrefutable.

Posted by: Sipuncula ()
Date: April 3, 2012 20:45

Brown Moses
and then there are cries of "anything,anything"

NOOOO! It's "Lady Jane! Lady Jane!" from directly behind the stage. North Texas accent but without that Dallas twang. More Fort Worth-Lubbock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-04-03 20:48 by Sipuncula.

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: April 3, 2012 22:54

scottkeef
PIB??? haha you guys got peanut butter in yer ears...

It is clearly Paint It Black

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home