Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Susie Q
Posted by: dingq ()
Date: March 24, 2012 11:15

This week I have spent many evenings editing an old video of the Stones' Susie Q.

I have made an extended version of the song too.
Just thought "1:50 minute is way to short, let's try to change that"...

Hope you like it. Renwewed link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 21:30 by dingq.

Re: Susie Q
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 24, 2012 16:36

Nice work dingq. Seemless editing. Very professional. Kind of a disco mix that would sound good in a club.

Date: March 24, 2012 17:49

Fantastic edit. My hats off to you.

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 24, 2012 20:24

Excellent work!smoking smiley

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:21

hey keep up the good work,have you got the black and white video of HONKY TONK WOMEN WITH GREAT DANCE BY MICK?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: March 24, 2012 21:22

smileys with beerthumbs up

Date: March 24, 2012 22:41

thanks for the kind reply
no, I have'nt got the honky tonk video. What is special about it?
is it on youtube?

by the way: it is my goal to edit mono songs

Date: March 24, 2012 22:44

thanks
I'm just the son of a truckdriver, the credit goes to freeware program VIRTUALDUB
it is the only freeware program that works
and of course to these six Englishman (Ian Stewart included)...

Date: March 24, 2012 22:58

to micknkeef@cox.net

thanks

how it works: open an existing video in VIRTUALDUB
in AUDIO choose NO AUDIO
save the video
close VIRTUALDUB (yes, end the program)
start VIRTUALDUB
open the saved (soundless) video
now in AUDIO open audio from other file (that you want)
now comes the hours of cutting and copying...

there is only a minor error in the program:
control v (paste) has to be done twice:
(the first paste command changes slider position, so reset slider at desired position before executing second paste command)

Date: March 24, 2012 23:05

oeps, forgot to mention:

every cut also cuts the music, and every paste also pasts the music, so it is many many times a question of saving after every cut or paste (NO AUDIO), closing and re-opening and re-opening the original audio...

Date: March 24, 2012 23:13

silver dagger, memphiscats, bluzdude, kish_stones
thanks for the nice replies, funny, I don't smoke and I don't drink winking smiley

by the way, ever noticed the different edit of "Out of time" on Aftermath and on "Flowers"?

Posted by: memphiscats ()
Date: March 25, 2012 03:49

dingq
silver dagger, memphiscats, bluzdude, kish_stones
thanks for the nice replies, funny, I don't smoke and I don't drink winking smiley

No worries - there's always time to pick up some nasty habits.

smoking smiley smileys with beer

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 25, 2012 07:50

I really enjoyed that............now.......where was this from? I've seen a lot of early TV appearances of the group, U.K. & American, but I don't remember this one. This thing has a real driving rhythm guitar but when they cut to Brian, he's not playing anything. I realize it's a lip sync of the studio cut, but it seems so odd. What is it about Bill chewing gum and pumping out that bass that is so Stones?

Date: March 25, 2012 14:13

to 24FPS

it is this clip on youtube:
www dot youtube.com/watch?v=WlF0mjs3jw4

I read on rollingstones dot com that Brian did the job, but I think it's a mistake, for this clearly shows Keith is doing the important guitar part

and about Bill, I remember a bass player in a local band holding his bass guitar like Bill, chewing like Bill... really was new, the way our stonesboys were acting early sixties

Date: March 25, 2012 15:42

about Brian's guitar part: listen closely and you'll hear he is playing a quite special guitar accompaniment, rather unusual, but it suits the song very well

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: March 25, 2012 18:05

Ha Ha, that was something....thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 25, 2012 18:46

nice work ! i did the same many years ago with "paint it black" with my 45 " vinyl

and tape.

Date: March 25, 2012 19:13

well, is it on youtube?

Date: March 25, 2012 20:05

dingq
about Brian's guitar part: listen closely and you'll hear he is playing a quite special guitar accompaniment, rather unusual, but it suits the song very well

The point DINGGQ is that yes, I hear a very driven, repetitive finger work rhythm, separate from Keith's lead. But when they go to Brian (and yes I know it's a lip sync) he's blithely strumming away, not reflecting anything going on with the song. Was Keith already overdubbing guitar parts Brian couldn't handle?

Date: March 25, 2012 20:39

to 24FPS:
This song and this performance is early (januari 1965), long before 1966 "Aftermath", the best album the Stones ever made (I think), with Brian at his best, picking up almost any instrument available and adding the special sound on its various songs, making this album unique. It is the first stereo album, and I sincerely think many of these songs even nowadays could still become hit singles. (Like "Paint it black" that was created along with "Aftermath" and that many years later became a hit again.)

So, no, Keith wasn't overdubbing his part - I think.
By the way, many songs and who did what are described by Bill Wyman, so one can check it. Don't know which book.

But I do think you are right about his role in the band becoming less important; I see in this performance he would rather play something else than rythm guitar.
I think he would rather be the lead singer too.
On "Walking the dog" you can hear Brian singing 2nd voice, not a very nice voice by the way, a bit rough. I think that's the reason why even the accompaniment singing part was taken away from him already. And with Mick becoming more and more popular because he's the singer - as usually happens with bands - Brian more and more was frustrated. And I think that is what you see in this clip.

Date: March 25, 2012 21:34

YouTube says this is from Shindig, the American music program that was broadcast on ABC. Yeah, without going deep into the Brian psychodrama, he was beginning his first fade, having had his vocal duties taken away. I always wondered why there was never a release of Shindig material but it's all black and white lip sync and may not exist on its original videotape. Still, Suzie Q is rare and it's cool to see Dingq's souped up video posted here.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: March 26, 2012 00:47

Good work - I enjoyed that a lot smiling bouncing smiley

Date: March 26, 2012 22:00

your welcome

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: March 26, 2012 22:25

dingq
well, is it on youtube?

no you tube in 1970

Date: March 27, 2012 10:39

Thanks dingq.

Date: March 28, 2012 23:41

Here is the final version of the extended Susie Q.

I fixed a minor error, now it is perfectly synchronized... I also fixed the final seconds that were not so good. Renewed link!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-01-25 21:31 by dingq.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1457
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home