Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The use of previously recorded material
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:23

Just another topic of conversation I came up with while we're all stuck in quarantine.

Child of the Moon (B-side to Jumpin' Jack Flash)

LET IT BLEED (Love In Vain; first worked on in May '68)

STICKY FINGERS (Sister Morphine)

EXILE ON MAIN STREET (Shake Your Hips, Tumbling Dice, Sweet Virginia, Sweet Black Angel, Loving Cup, All Down The Line, Stop Breaking Down, Shine A Light)

GOATS HEAD SOUP (Silver Train, Hide Your Love?)

Through the Lonely Nights (B-side to It's Only Rock 'n Roll)

IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL (Short and Curlies)

BLACK AND BLUE (Playbacks of Tops, Waiting On A Friend, Criss Cross and other leftovers from the GOATS HEAD SOUP & IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N ROLL sessions circulate from Rotterdam '75, but none were used)

EMOTIONAL RESCUE (Summer Romance, All About You...POSSIBLY MORE?)

TATTOO YOU (ENTIRE ALBUM)

UNDERCOVER (Re-recorded leftovers from the SOME GIRLS & EMOTIONAL RESCUE sessions, but none were used; The main riff from Too Tough was taken from the unreleased '75 instrumental, Cellophane Trousers)

I Think I'm Goin' Mad (B-side to She Was Hot)

DIRTY WORK (Mick & Keith recorded a few demos of UNDERCOVER leftovers, but none were used)

Cook Cook Blues (B-side to Rock and a Hard Place)

So Young (B-side to Love Is Strong & Out Of Tears)

UNTITLED NEW ALBUM (Listened to and possibly re-recorded leftovers dating back to 1989; UNVERIFIED)

Did I miss anything? Also what's your opinion about using previously recorded or written material? I've read some musicians are opposed to using older material.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-30 09:49 by JordyLicks96.

Re: Material Used From Previous Album Sessions
Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:39

Short and Curlies on It’s Only Rock n Roll

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:42

HA HA! Some musicians that are opposed to using older material aren't The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, U2 and The Beatles.

I can't recall exactly but I think 100 Years Ago was written (started) during the STICKY FINGERS sessions. Hide Your Love was recorded after everything else for GOATS HEAD SOUP was finished but may've been something from the SF sessions as well.

Date: March 30, 2020 01:43

There's some speculation somewhere that YCAGWYW was started at the end of the BEGGARS BANQUET sessions.

Date: March 30, 2020 01:47

Songs recorded for SOME GIRLS used on EMOTIONAL RESCUE were, supposedly, Summer Romance from the 1978 sessions and All About You from the 1977 sessions - started, at least, if not used.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 30, 2020 01:55

TravelinMan

Short and Curlies on It’s Only Rock n Roll

And 'Through The Lonely Nights' from the GHS-Sessions -> B-Side of the IORR-Single.

Date: March 30, 2020 02:01

No point in bogging the Can You Hear The Music thread down in what this thread is about so after some editing...

JordyLicks96
boogaloojef
bitusa2012
boogaloojef
... or they could have finished Waiting On A Friend or Tops.

BUT THEN Tattoo You would be short!!

Chris Kimsey says he made a list of approximately 25 songs to consider for Tattoo You after going through the vaults. I am sure they could have picked another from the list. I imagine some of them appeared on the bonus disc of the Some Girls Deluxe Edition.

I wonder if anyone know which songs were on Kimsey's list.

I have a pic I took from Exhibitionism of a Log book of songs compiled for Paris October 1980 (The first sessions for TATTOO YOU). Unfortunately I'm not able to post the picture but these are the exact songs listed:

Mobile Master Reel #1

Biscuit Blues
Black Limousine (ex 76)
Everlasting Love (Funky Version)
Everlasting Love (Electric Version)
Black Limousine
Just Because I Told You
Hang Fire

Mobile Master Reel #2

Fiji Jim
Do You Think I Really Care
Start It Up
I Can't Help It
You Win Again
Do You Get Enough

That's 11 songs. Add the others from TATTOO YOU:
Slave
Little T&A
Neighbours
Worried About You
Tops
Heaven
No Use In Crying
Waiting On A Friend

That's 19 total. Based on the 11 it seems likely that, with the exception of Do You Think I Really Care and You Win Again, what did make the SG deluxe wasn't considered for TY, so obviously that leaves more leftovers from GHS, IORR, BAB and ER to be on the list.

Date: March 30, 2020 04:58

GasLightStreet
Songs recorded for SOME GIRLS used on EMOTIONAL RESCUE were, supposedly, Summer Romance from the 1978 sessions and All About You from the 1977 sessions - started, at least, if not used.

Summer Romance has a few early versions, very punk sounding, from early '78.

All About You had a working title called 'Train Song' which was on a list of songs recorded during the SOME GIRLS sessions.

Other than those two, I don't know what else from ER came from SG.

"(I)t doesn't (have the resonance of Some Girls). You know, Emotional Rescue is a lot of leftovers from Some Girls. Really."

- Mick Jagger, 1995

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 30, 2020 05:38

Out of Tears was part of the Voodoo Lounge sessions

Date: March 30, 2020 06:11

JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

All About You had a working title called 'Train Song' which was on a list of songs recorded during the SOME GIRLS sessions.

"(I)t doesn't (have the resonance of Some Girls). You know, Emotional Rescue is a lot of leftovers from Some Girls. Really."

- Mick Jagger, 1995

I've thought it weird that Mick said that when they recorded so many songs, like they did with SG, for ER.

Date: March 30, 2020 06:24

Keith about TATTOO YOU:

(T)here's still loads (from those sessions). I mean, we could get another album out of that bunch...

[timeisonourside.com]

Date: March 30, 2020 06:31

Cooltoplady

I said So Young was a leftover used as the B-side to Out Of Tears.

Date: March 30, 2020 06:40

GasLightStreet
JordyLicks96
GasLightStreet

- Mick Jagger, 1995

I've thought it weird that Mick said that when they recorded so many songs, like they did with SG, for ER.

Maybe he just forgot by '95? Because based upon these quotes, they recorded a lot of material for ER:

"It took FOREVER. I started writing a ton of songs last summer, then Charlie and I did a few demos. Some of them came out of that. Some had been written before. Then we recorded a whole lot of newer things, which weren't really complete. THEN, we went back and more or less chose the ones we started with. I mean, it was just so haphazard and slapdash."

- Mick Jagger, 1980

"We cut enough for two albums. That was almost as big a problem as not having enough - knowing what to leave out. It's not that we used the best of what we had; we just used what fitted together."

- Keith Richards, 1980

"...(Again we did) 30! - it's like making a movie. And so... and then you start, Oh, I wish we could use that one!, and Ronnie's going, What about that one? (laughs) ... And so you wither it down from 30 down to 10 and it's a very slow process..."

- Mick Jagger, 1980

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 30, 2020 06:41

JordyLicks96
Cooltoplady

Ahhh read it wrong. My fault

Re: The use of previously recorded material
Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 30, 2020 10:54

JordyLicks96

TATTOO YOU (ENTIRE ALBUM)

repeat it until it becomes wrong

Re: The use of previously recorded material
Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 30, 2020 11:03

Tbh most bands that last more than one or two albums do this.

Date: March 30, 2020 19:08

Cooltoplady
JordyLicks96
Cooltoplady

Ahhh read it wrong. My fault

No worries!! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home