Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Ronnie Wood and friends - Hammersmith Apollo 30th June 2012
Posted by: flairville ()
Date: June 30, 2012 14:01

On the train now with a large glass of vodka. Sticky Fingers at 14.00! Cannot wait! Will upload some pics later on.

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: June 30, 2012 14:22

Now 2 stalls tickets for sale face value text to 07957144073

Posted by: Keessie ()
Date: June 30, 2012 23:49

Setlist

intro
hi heel sneakers
my babe
300 lbs joy
just your fool
never can tell
sun is shining
don't lie to me
walking by my self
tell mama
mojo boogie
at last
spoonful
big town playboy
talk to your daughter
rather go blind
johnny be good
carol
i just wanna make love
encore:
Iorr
i aint got

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 1, 2012 00:30

another warhorse parade....

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: July 1, 2012 01:48

Johnny Be Goode, and the funny moment where people stood up and went to the front rows.

Posted by: beepee ()
Date: July 1, 2012 02:00

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: July 1, 2012 02:19

Ronnie was spot on with his playing, everything he played supported the songs, and the riffs were the right riffs. He was as good tonight as he's ever been. Mick Taylor just wasn't there, a shadow of his former self. It's like he has lost his confidence. He even left the stage at one point. Shame. James McCartney was truly horrendous. Why was he there? Sharleen Spiteri was reasonably good - she got a semi-standing ovation. Bill Wyman was a bit dull, just thudding out the notes, however occasionally there were glimpses of his former sound and playing. Overall I was a little underwhelmed with the show (the blues tunes were a little monotonous, I preferred the non-blues tunes), but there were some highlights - mostly Ronnie's guitar playing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 02:23 by WeLoveYou.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 1, 2012 02:23

ah, well. but, these guys are old as the hills...rocknroll is for the young 'uns...off to see some kids play it in a bit...

Date: July 1, 2012 02:28

Wicked show Ronnie, he is the man! Lets go bowlin!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: July 1, 2012 08:17

WeLoveYou
Ronnie was spot on with his playing, everything he played supported the songs, and the riffs were the right riffs. He was as good tonight as he's ever been. Mick Taylor just wasn't there, a shadow of his former self. It's like he has lost his confidence. He even left the stage at one point. Shame. James McCartney was truly horrendous. Why was he there? Sharleen Spiteri was reasonably good - she got a semi-standing ovation. Bill Wyman was a bit dull, just thudding out the notes, however occasionally there were glimpses of his former sound and playing. Overall I was a little underwhelmed with the show (the blues tunes were a little monotonous, I preferred the non-blues tunes), but there were some highlights - mostly Ronnie's guitar playing.

Yes, I would have to agree somewhat with your observations about Mick Taylor. Generally, much less contributory than I was expecting. I thought Ronnie was on great form, playing wonderfully. He's positively blooming these days.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: July 1, 2012 10:50

Ronnie on great form, although he is a bit too disorganised to be the band leader. Playing on top form - not sure I've seen him better in the last 20 years.

Bill solid, and seemed to find plenty to smile about: mainly I suspect the sad shambles that was Mick Taylor.

Mick played a few really nice touches; a couple of good solos, but otherwise seemed to be there to make up the numbers. (a bit like the Boogie for Stu gig last year). Clearly not strong enough for a 90 minutes set, and moaning to his guitar technician a lot.

Ronnie's guitar technician was another highlight of the evening - very attractive and efficient...

Fun evening.

Anyone catch the name of the support band? a bit like the Band, young guys (at least from where I stand) and good fun.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: July 1, 2012 10:56

Thanks for the reviews. I guess that all in all you had a good time

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: July 1, 2012 11:06

thecitadel
Ronnie on great form, although he is a bit too disorganised to be the band leader. Playing on top form - not sure I've seen him better in the last 20 years.

Bill solid, and seemed to find plenty to smile about: mainly I suspect the sad shambles that was Mick Taylor.

Mick played a few really nice touches; a couple of good solos, but otherwise seemed to be there to make up the numbers. (a bit like the Boogie for Stu gig last year). Clearly not strong enough for a 90 minutes set, and moaning to his guitar technician a lot.

Ronnie's guitar technician was another highlight of the evening - very attractive and efficient...

Fun evening.

Anyone catch the name of the support band? a bit like the Band, young guys (at least from where I stand) and good fun.

Well that's three of us so far that seem to hold much the same thoughts about Mick Taylor's contribution (or lack of) to the night. Maybe he had an off night ? Not sure it bodes too well for his own gig on Friday 6th though.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 1, 2012 11:21

Support band were John Bull and the Bandits:

[www.johnbullbandits.com]

Agreed about both Ronnie (brilliant) and Mick Taylor (disappointing). I wonder if MT wasn't well - he was perched on a stool rather than standing for much of the show. An enjoyable evening, but not as good as the Ambassadors shows. Nice to see Ali Mackenzie put in an appearance.

Date: July 1, 2012 11:35

Green Lady

Agreed about both Ronnie (brilliant) and Mick Taylor (disappointing). I wonder if MT wasn't well - he was perched on a stool rather than standing for much of the show. An enjoyable evening, but not as good as the Ambassadors shows. Nice to see Ali Mackenzie put in an appearance.

Yes I too wondered whether perhaps MT wasn't well ? Indeed it was great to see Ali Mackensie also. He and Ronnie go back a long way, all the way to the Birds

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 11:36 by paulywaul.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: July 1, 2012 11:44

Ronnie did say when he introduced Mick Taylor that Mick had hurt his foot and would have to spend time sitting down. Looked as he was in some pain to me, so I don't think we should be too harsh on him.
Chris & Pam
paulywaul
Green Lady

Yes I too wondered whether perhaps MT wasn't well ? Indeed it was great to see Ali Mackensie also. He and Ronnie go back a long way, all the way to the Birds

Satisfied since 1976

Posted by: thecitadel ()
Date: July 1, 2012 11:54

Thanks for the support band name.

Foot problems explains the seat for Mick T; I just wonder if he is more comfortable leading his own band these days rather than being second lead guitarist to Ronnie (or anyone else).

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: July 1, 2012 12:09

I agree with the posting above: Ronnie is in GREAT form.

Mick T was a sad sight to behold, he didn't really contribute anything. Got tix for his solo show next Friday in Chelsea so will be able to gauge if that was a one-off or the way he is these days.

Bill Wyman got a huge cheer and his You Never Can Tell spot went down a storm.

Date: July 1, 2012 12:59

tomcat2006
I agree with the posting above: Ronnie is in GREAT form.

Mick T was a sad sight to behold, he didn't really contribute anything. Got tix for his solo show next Friday in Chelsea so will be able to gauge if that was a one-off or the way he is these days.

Bill Wyman got a huge cheer and his You Never Can Tell spot went down a storm.

I LOVE that song anyway, and the version of it Bill did yesterday sounded just great to my ears at any rate

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: July 1, 2012 13:16

Ronnie - was on killer form; I could have happily listened to him playing longer unaccompanied at the start. He nailed all the riffs with aplomb all through the show.

Bill Wyman - held it together perfectly, loved his much missed (in the Stones) pulsing undercurrent where only the right number of notes are played, without the "funk" and no superfluous histrionics.

Mick Taylor - I thought he made many tasteful contributions. I don't think there was any intention for him to take the "lead" that was Ronnie's scene and rightly so. Ronnie let MT play some lead parts selectively and I liked what he did on each. He wasn't trying to light up the stage and given the size of the band I think what he needed to do was add some tasteful textural playing with a few shimmering flashes of slide and that was precisely what he did.

Simon Kirke - provided a solid, thumping back-beat throughout, though he lacked an element of "swing" that da Blues sometimes need. I can let him off for that as he is one of my fav drummers.

Sharlene Spiteri - thought she was real good; didn't really know she had such a powerful voice, as Texas were a bit light-weight and mainstream for me, although their first album was alright.

Andy Newmark - always a quality choice as a drummer and although he had a full kit up there, he didn't use most of it, just adding some additional thump, cool fills and percussive stuff. However, don't really understand why he was needed. Maybe he just had a wish to play with those guys and Ronnie indulged him?

Hamish Stuart - from the Average White Band, pretty much stayed in the background playin rhythm (very well)

The Horn Dudes - superb and really framed the setting for a night of sweet Blues.

Ali Mackensie - excellent cameo role and he hit all the right notes; exemplary choice.

Geraint Watkins (from the Rhythm Kings) - think that was him on keys; added some great blues keys to the mix, as well as some spirited vocals, though would have preferred if he'd had a real piano.

The Hammond Player - no idea who he was, but played a treat on stage left on his own little musical island.

The Blonde Singer with the Luscious Locks - didn't catch her name either, but blasted it out with soul on a few tracks. She wore those strides well...

Beverly Skeete - centre stage she played the part of a deep soul diva with bristling, sensual power.

Ronnie's Guitar Tech - well hot! Can totally get why he would not picking some fat, balding bloke to do the job. Wait a minute..... James McCartney could have down well in this role....

which brings us on to last but not least (as far as blubber is concerned; and heh I can say this as I'm a fat bastard too), James "Kiss of Death" McCartney. For those who are not well disposed to a "British Airways Calibre Rant" © PaulyWaul, I'd avert your gaze right now. JMcC should have stayed home eating all the pies and trying to disguise his thinning locks more skillfully than he did last night. He could not shout "coal", had the charisma of magnolia paint (and yes I would have rather have watched paint dry), and was the singularly most astoundingly unnecessary, worthless musical (ahem) member of the band. An elephant with boxing gloves could have played better guitar than him. What on earth was Ronnie thinking of giving him duties as lead singer on three songs? He simply murdered through slow impalement two ace Chuck Berry songs and given the array of singers at Ronnie's disposal one can only put this choice down to a random moment of fledgling senility. How this hombre carries his own show is unfathomably perplexing. A tarantula-sized arachnid in the evening's ointment.

Cheers,
SonicD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-07-01 15:48 by SonicDreamer.

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: July 1, 2012 13:37

I noticed something wrong with Taylor within the first ten minutes of the gig. He was furious with Bill's horn player and was literally staring him out throughout the night. Bill kept rolling his eyes at Taylor and was making eye contact with some of the other band members as if to say "He's not happy!"
Taylor wasn't a patch on last years "Boogie For Stu" gigs. Hopefully he'll be better this coming Friday?
On a brighter note it was a great gig, I didn't want it to end. We need a tour!!!

Posted by: MartinB ()
Date: July 1, 2012 13:43

I having tickets for Mick T next week, it is worrying to see him like this...

Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: July 1, 2012 13:50

Here's my take on it

[onlyrockanroll.wordpress.com]

Am I right about Ali doing Walking By Myself? Any corrctions / observations most welcome

Posted by: monkeymantoo ()
Date: July 1, 2012 14:39

Yes good review - I agree with your comments.
Just one correction - It was Beverley Skeete not Knight smiling smiley

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: July 1, 2012 15:03

My favourite part of the show was undoubtedly the very beginning: "just me and my guitar" as Ronnie says at the start of his radio show. I could have happily listened for much longer to Mr. Wood being a brilliant guitar-impressionist (and harp, too) and introducing us to the personalities and the styles of the Chess Records catalogue. I do hope somebody managed to record that. The little pas-de-deux between Ronnie and his guitar-tech was great fun to watch, too.

I missed the explanation about Mick Taylor's foot - I hope things are better by Thursday. I'm in my third week of coughing at the moment (getting hoarse singing along to Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen in a muddy Isle of Wight field hasn't helped) so I have every sympathy with someone struggling to perform while feeling decidedly under-par.

Date: July 1, 2012 17:09

SonicDreamer
Ronnie - was on killer form; I could have happily listened to him playing longer unaccompanied at the start. He nailed all the riffs with aplomb all through the show.

Bill Wyman - held it together perfectly, loved his much missed (in the Stones) pulsing undercurrent where only the right number of notes are played, without the "funk" and no superfluous histrionics.

Mick Taylor - I thought he made many tasteful contributions. I don't think there was any intention for him to take the "lead" that was Ronnie's scene and rightly so. Ronnie let MT play some lead parts selectively and I liked what he did on each. He wasn't trying to light up the stage and given the size of the band I think what he needed to do was add some tasteful textural playing with a few shimmering flashes of slide and that was precisely what he did.

Simon Kirke - provided a solid, thumping back-beat throughout, though he lacked an element of "swing" that da Blues sometimes need. I can let him off for that as he is one of my fav drummers.

Sharlene Spiteri - thought she was real good; didn't really know she had such a powerful voice, as Texas were a bit light-weight and mainstream for me, although their first album was alright.

Andy Newmark - always a quality choice as a drummer and although he had a full kit up there, he didn't use most of it, just adding some additional thump, cool fills and percussive stuff. However, don't really understand why he was needed. Maybe he just had a wish to play with those guys and Ronnie indulged him?

Hamish Stuart - from the Average White Band, pretty much stayed in the background playin rhythm (very well)

The Horn Dudes - superb and really framed the setting for a night of sweet Blues.

Ali Mackensie - excellent cameo role and he hit all the right notes; exemplary choice.

Geraint Watkins (from the Rhythm Kings) - think that was him on keys; added some great blues keys to the mix, as well as some spirited vocals, though would have preferred if he'd had a real piano.

The Hammond Player - no idea who he was, but played a treat on stage left on his own little musical island.

The Blonde Singer with the Luscious Locks - didn't catch her name either, but blasted it out with soul on a few tracks. She wore those strides well...

Beverly Skeete - centre stage she played the part of a deep soul diva with bristling, sensual power.

Ronnie's Guitar Tech - well hot! Can totally get why he would not picking some fat, balding bloke to do the job. Wait a minute..... James McCartney could have down well in this role....

which brings us on to last but not least (as far as blubber is concerned; and heh I can say this as I'm a fat bastard too), James "Kiss of Death" McCartney. For those who are not well disposed to a "British Airways Calibre Rant" © PaulyWaul, I'd avert your gaze right now. JMcC should have stayed home eating all the pies and trying to disguise his thinning locks more skillfully than he did last night. He could not shout "coal", had the charisma of magnolia paint (and yes I would have rather have watched paint dry), and was the singularly most astoundingly unnecessary, worthless musical (ahem) member of the band. An elephant with boxing gloves could have played better guitar than him. What on earth was Ronnie thinking of giving him duties as lead singer on three songs? He simply murdered through slow impalement two ace Chuck Berry songs and given the array of singers at Ronnie's disposal one can only put this choice down to a random moment of fledgling senility. How this hombre carries his own show is unfathomably perplexing. A tarantula-sized arachnid in the evening's ointment.

Cheers,
SonicD

So er ... we weren't altogether enamoured with McCartney Jr's contribution then SD ?

Good rant of yours though. On the British Airways scale, I'd have to give it a 9.9, possibly even a perfect 10.

Posted by: Marianella ()
Date: July 1, 2012 17:18

"Ronnie - was on killer form; I could have happily listened to him playing longer unaccompanied at the start. He nailed all the riffs with aplomb all through the show."

Woo Hoo Woot

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 1, 2012 17:30

Thought Spoonful was one of the highlights of the night as well as Carol. Great gig.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: July 1, 2012 18:41

Ronnie was on top Form .

Posted by: Norbert ()
Date: July 1, 2012 19:27

some nice pics can be found here

[www.zimbio.com]

Thanks for the vids
CrazyMama

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1749
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home