Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Satisfaction 1969 Madison Square Garden
Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: March 2, 2012 17:52

Yeah, the 69 tour was fantastic. The Maysles brothers filmed all three MSG shows. The band taped all three MSG shows and the Baltimore show (Love in Vain on Ya Ya's is note for note the same as the Baltimore bootleg - not an overdub to be found).

I would love for all of this material to be made available for sale. Let me start a public plea for the Baltimore version of JJF - it sounds amazing on the audience boot.

As to Satisfaction, thanks to the Ya Ya's box set, we have complete versions of two of the three MSG performances, and a partial version of the third on Gimme Shelter). My favorite is the 11/28/69 early show, available in audio only form on the box set. Keith and Taylor are amazing. Taylor does a cool counter-riff (the only word I can think of) at the end. When Keith kicks in the main riff along with it, it takes the song to a whole new level. They didn't play it same way on either of the other two shows.

Another cool song from those shows is Under My Thumb. It's all Keith on this one. He's the lead. Taylor is strictly rhythm. You can hear him play it well on the bonus DVD on the box set.

And yes, it would be great to see even more of the film of these shows. Rock and roll was never as good as it was for those three days in November.

-R

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-02 17:53 by Reagan.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:08

Reagan
Rock and roll was never as good as it was for those three days in November.

-R

Big words but shit, I think you are right here! thumbs up.

- Doxa

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 2, 2012 18:23

Reagan
Yeah, the 69 tour was fantastic. The Maysles brothers filmed all three MSG shows.
-R

That is actually very doubtful. The Maysels brothers have stated in various interviews that due to the camera's of the time they had to decide beforehand which tracks to film with all camera's, and when to reload the camera's with tape. Much of the outtakes that are made available (like Carol and Little Queenie)where exactly that -outtakes, where the camera was setting the light levels right, trying a good spot etc. This Satisfaction seems to be to only outtake as of yet that was good enough to include in the movie, but decided was to splice two version together. I think they where right, becasue as a performance (especially Jagger) I think that version is better.

Mathijs

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: March 2, 2012 21:12

The Maysles probably filmed enough of the shows to put together a film of a complete MSG setlist. In fact, with the exception of Stray Cat Blues, Sympathy For The Devil, Live With Me, and Midnight Rambler the rest of the numbers are all available between the GIMME SHELTER movie and the Get Yer Ya-Yas Out DVD.

It is also probably true, however, that not 100% of every number of each show was filmed.

Timing limitations of the film reels is one reason. Out of focus shots, bad lighting, bad camera angles, exposure mistakes, developing errors...the list goes on when it comes to what can go wrong when filming in a dynamic circumstance like a rock concert...these would also present editing difficulties which is a possible reason why so much audience footage and slo-mo stage footage was used in the GYYYO DVD.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 22:59

kleermaker
Here it is on YouTube (of course not as good as the 1967 version, but that's obvious). Did anyone say Taylor couldn't play rhythm, by the way? I think he could.

What a fantastic clip.... Great Stones/audience footage. The band are absolutely on fire, particularly Jagger. What must the full concert have been like?

Was anybody who posts on here actually at any of the 69 MSG concerts?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:21

Yes. And no one should underestimate the joy of the Los Angeles Forum concerts a few days before MSG.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: March 2, 2012 23:51

stonesrule
Yes. And no one should underestimate the joy of the Los Angeles Forum concerts a few days before MSG.

winking smileyI am sure the Los Angeles forum shows were just as good.... I assume you attended both sets of concerts Stonesrule......

If so you are a very very lucky person>grinning smiley<

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 3, 2012 04:03

The other thing about the clip is the magic of film. Film!

Film looks so much better than old fashioned video of course, and it still looks much better than high tech high-end HDTV video cameras as far as I am concerned. Certainly the resolution is still higher than HDTV.

There is just something so much more "real" when something is shot on film. Ironically enough, you could still sense that when you watched film footage on an old-fashioned TV, and you can still sense it when you watch film footage on a plasma or LCD or a new-fangled LED TV.

Look at how crappy Hampton is. Assuming they one day release that from the master videotapes, it's still going to look like absolute crap when compared to film, glorious film.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: March 3, 2012 04:38

68-72,

You're right. I knew it at THE TIME. The entire audience did. Those gigs were fantastic.

MileHigh. Those gigs are still like fabulous movies in our mind. There they were in arenas, NOT STADIUMS, where you could see them well unless you were in the top rows. But it was that LIVE SOUND that captured us, too. Like a fabulous dream, SO MUCH MORE THAN WE COULD HAVE HOPED FOR. NO TV MONITORS there. Just REAL LIVE ROLLING STONES performing DIRECTLY TO US.

I KNOW film/movies. I grew up in Hollywood, became a film reporter for United Press International through the help of a well-connected friend who told me to quit University. I can get you this job now. I was privileged to come to know well many major directors and "stars." But music was always my first loved and I turned down dinner with Katharine Hepburn to be with my friends at the Whisky A Go Go to see Eric Burdon and the Animals.

I'm not knocking younger people who know about the glory days only from TV and the Internet. I highly recommend the TAMI SHOW from 1964, shot on a budget but God, we had never imagined anything like it.

Date: March 3, 2012 07:16

Mathijs,

In a way, I agree with you. When I said they filmed all three MSG shows, I meant they had multiple cameras running during all three shows, not that they obtained usable footage of every song of every show. I seem to recall hearing on the Gimme Shelter commentary that the cameras had 10 or 12 minute film mags, so there would have been a lot of gaps due to film reloading.
I have no idea how much watchable stuff lies in the vault. Could be a lot, or maybe we've seen almost everything that came out worth seeing.

-R

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: March 3, 2012 08:56

Yeah, I doubt there is the entire MSG show on film, however, I am sure they would have enough film from other venues to put together a complete show. And then add promo stuff and more studio outtakes. It could be a great Deluxe box set!

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: March 3, 2012 09:29

It would be fantastic to have the audio from the concerts. Also, there are enough film to cover all songs from the'69 set list. They had cameras running at Miami Pop Festival, the MSG shows, and the whole Altamont festival was filmed. I also remember that in around 2002, there was supposed to be released a new version of Gimme Shelter (Criterion?), which supposedly contained new bonus material including Stray Cat Blues and two other songs. There was an article about it in Uncut I think. I dont remember why it ended up without the new bonustracks.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 4, 2012 11:07

This clip is fantastic. I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor's rhythm guitar playing with the Stones. Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have either Prodigal Son or You Gotta Move ripped to video like this clip that they can post on YouTube or the like? I'm trying to stitch together a DVD from MSG and can't manage to rip the bonus DVD I have.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 4, 2012 16:30

TeddyB1018
This clip is fantastic. I'm a big fan of Mick Taylor's rhythm guitar playing with the Stones. Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask, but does anyone have either Prodigal Son or You Gotta Move ripped to video like this clip that they can post on YouTube or the like? I'm trying to stitch together a DVD from MSG and can't manage to rip the bonus DVD I have.

Here you go:

Oh well, just got the message that this one is "worldwide blocked" because of Abkco copyright. I wonder how I 'did' it with the Satisfaction video, which is (still) worldwide available! I'm Sorry Teddy, I gave it a try, but Abkco didn't allow it.

So I had to delete it, alas.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 14:27 by kleermaker.

Posted by: straycatblues73 ()
Date: March 4, 2012 18:15

Reagan
Mathijs,

In a way, I agree with you. When I said they filmed all three MSG shows, I meant they had multiple cameras running during all three shows, not that they obtained usable footage of every song of every show. I seem to recall hearing on the Gimme Shelter commentary that the cameras had 10 or 12 minute film mags, so there would have been a lot of gaps due to film reloading.
I have no idea how much watchable stuff lies in the vault. Could be a lot, or maybe we've seen almost everything that came out worth seeing.

-R

also , would there be another source of audio available then ,as the Maysles restored the footage and audio ? ( as is explained on the GS bonus )the proof is in the little queeny bonus that contains the original taylor guitar track . ( which is the ONLY video of any ya ya's track)

so do they have a multitrack recording apart from the stones one ? or just a non-overdubbed original ?

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 4, 2012 19:34

I believe the Maysles also filmed the Miami Beach show which was the last show before altamont.

Judging from the tuning problems on the audience audio recording, I doubt this will ever see the light of day.

Date: March 4, 2012 22:37

vudicus
I believe the Maysles also filmed the Miami Beach show which was the last show before altamont.

Judging from the tuning problems on the audience audio recording, I doubt this will ever see the light of day.

I thought it was called Miami Pop Festival, but according to The Complete recording Guide, they played the West Palm Beach Pop Festival. Anyway, despite of tuning problems on the audio, I bet they would be able use the film and mix it with different audio. They recorded at least Baltimore, MSG, Boston, West Palm Beach, and Altamont. To release more of this wonderful music makes sence because their approach was different on every take. As mentioned earlier, they played Satisfaction 3 times at Madison, and all 3 sounds different.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 5, 2012 00:33

S.T.P
vudicus

I thought it was called Miami Pop Festival, but according to The Complete recording Guide, they played the West Palm Beach Pop Festival. Anyway, despite of tuning problems on the audio, I bet they would be able use the film and mix it with different audio.

Uh, well, yes obviously they wouldn't be using the audience recording as a soundtrack. But how would they fix the out of tune guitars now after the show took place? Pull the guitars out of the taperolls, tune the guitars manually, before inserting them through a different dimension back into the film ? Can this actually happen in cyberspace ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 00:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 5, 2012 02:16

kleermaker
TeddyB1018

Here you go:

Oh well, just got the message that this one is "worldwide blocked" because of Abkco copyright. I wonder how I 'did' it with the Satisfaction video, which is (still) worldwide available! I'm Sorry Teddy, I gave it a try, but Abkco didn't allow it. Although I see some people watched it, so who knows!

Wow! That was quick. Thanks for trying. I bought the damn thing for full price.

Date: March 5, 2012 04:12

straycatblues73
so do they have a multitrack recording apart from the stones one ? or just a non-overdubbed original ?

I'd bet money it's the latter.

Date: March 5, 2012 08:00

Erik_Snow
Uh, well, yes obviously they wouldn't be using the audience recording as a soundtrack. But how would they fix the out of tune guitars now after the show took place? Pull the guitars out of the taperolls, tune the guitars manually, before inserting them through a different dimension back into the film ? Can this actually happen in cyberspace ?

I don't know if pulling out the guitars of the taperolls, and then tuning them can happen in cyberspace, but what I meant was that maybe it is possible to use film from one consert, and full audio from another IE film from West Palm Beach and audio from Bostonthumbs up

Date: March 5, 2012 11:41

S.T.P
Erik_Snow

I don't know if pulling out the guitars of the taperolls, and then tuning them can happen in cyberspace, but what I meant was that maybe it is possible to use film from one consert, and full audio from another IE film from West Palm Beach and audio from Bostonthumbs up

AHa, so that is what you meant, STP. Well; I do this that is a very bad idea, and not possible to create. For one track; as a "promo" maybe, but not more than that. RS concerts are FAR from identical, you know

Date: March 5, 2012 12:26

I bet you could use digital tools to tune the guitar. I wouldn't object if that is all they did. It would be cool to get a complete 69 show with no overdubs...

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: March 5, 2012 13:10

Note that Charlie is doing rim shots all the time already at this early stage.

Date: March 5, 2012 13:15

whitem8
I bet you could use digital tools to tune the guitar. I wouldn't object if that is all they did. It would be cool to get a complete 69 show with no overdubs...

But whitem8, a guitar has 6 tracks, you can't tune each string seperately on an allready existing recording. It acutally goes without saying, doesn't it
But anyway - the West Palm Beach performance is the only performance out of the Nov 24th -> Dec. 6th run; which is not up to par; not only because of the out of tune instruments

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 13:18 by Erik_Snow.

Date: March 5, 2012 15:42

Awe come on Erik, sci fi eventually comes reality. I bet you could make a file and digitally isolate each string, tune it and then re-run the file on a decoding platform. Doable. For sure. Someone just has to invent it in the studio. If they haven't already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-03-05 15:44 by whitem8.

Date: March 5, 2012 15:51

Well OK, whitem8, let's hope they will do that; as well as inserting Paint It Black, Monkey Man and Child Of The Moon in the setlist; completely alike each of the Rolling Stones would have performed live in 1969; based on their playing and singing on the rest of the 1969 setlist. Would be awesome to FINALLY get 1969 live versions of those tracks. The girl shouting on GYYYO would finally get her wish fulfilled as well

Date: March 5, 2012 16:25

Oh, Erik, don't burst a stoners bubble. We can all dream a bit, can't we? Yeah, I am always astonished they didn't play some of their best stuff from that period, like Monkey Man, and that they didn't put Gimme Shelter on Ya Yas. Strange.

Date: March 5, 2012 19:41

Erik_Snow
S.T.P
Erik_Snow

AHa, so that is what you meant, STP. Well; I do this that is a very bad idea, and not possible to create. For one track; as a "promo" maybe, but not more than that. RS concerts are FAR from identical, you know

Thanks, send me a copy through cyberspace when your'e done.

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: March 5, 2012 19:50

Anybody know what chords Keith is playing in this version? Thank you.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1602
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home