Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Best Version of Gimme Shelter ever?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:40

The Sicilian
tatters
71Tele
'72 and '73 versions of this tune have never been equalled.

They've been surpassed!

Anything beats the 1972 and 1973 versions. But IMO this one so far is the best one posted on this thread.

My problem with 1972-73 versions is that Mick Taylor plays the solo's too fast with no sustain on the notes. Plus I don't like his guitar tone. This song is meant to be played slowerrrrrr. When played fast, it loses its psychedelic feel.

The 1995 version here, is slower and much better than 1972, however it is not perfect, but longer solos would have made it a gem. I think Lisa jumps in too fast to sing her part. Keith and Ronnie mesh really good here.

yeah, and 1995 not only doesn't have the great Taylor, there is no Bill Wyman either. Hence it is automatically disqualified from consideration as "best" version. Your criticism of Taylor's playing is bizarre, imo, but you like what you like.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 28, 2012 05:42

Erik_Snow
kleermaker
I like Taylor's part from 3:57 on.

*You like?* Is there anybody living who doesn't ?

Apparently...do these people also hate puppies and sunsets?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: March 6, 2012 01:35

71Tele
Apparently...do these people also hate puppies and sunsets?

No.

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:32

tatters

Bump

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 02:56

Keith puts in a very good vocal in that video. Sometimes you wonder if he really needed Jagger as a front man. On the other hand, MT was a much better lead guitarist . . Keith is solid on rhythm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-05-17 02:57 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 05:02

His Majesty
The two best versions for me are both from 1969... The studio version and the Altamont version.

The sense of foreboding felt on the studio version is amplified x 100 on the Altamont live performance, served with an additional fat slab of raw!

Wow! eye popping smiley

The 72-73 versions are majestic. The Altamont version is driving, dark, gritty and haunting. Its my favorite also. I'm the biggest MT fan there is, but I love how the Altamont version is driven by Keith's menacing rhythm guitar..

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 17, 2012 10:40

mitchflorida1
I have never heard this quality of guitar work from the Stones before or after in live concert. Reminds me of Eric Clapton's Layla. Is this the best or what? Charlie's drumming is really stand out on this.

It's been years since I say this Spectrum 72 is the best ever version. The guitars lead the thing and even jagger seems to follow

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 17, 2012 11:00

The reverse blues version is, in my humble opinion, by far the best live version I've heard...the 1940's introduction is something else. Following that The Paradiso is good and a few from 72 close on their heels. Of course the Studio version is classic and multi-layering can't be surpassed by any live version.

Date: May 17, 2012 20:02

the mick taylor live versions 69 to 73, hands down. perth, philly, brussels etc. take your pick. and the studio version; whole different vibe. ronnie wood wasn't half bad at it in '75. not so hot after.

Posted by: Nimrod ()
Date: May 17, 2012 20:11

I've always been a fan of the St. Louis '97 version. Keith is in fine form, handling both lead and rhythm duties at the same time (as he does throughout most of this show and '97 is probably around the last time he played really well). I also dig the groove, and I like when Keith slightly alters the riff figure towards the end. There are actually a lot of things I like about this version.

Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: May 17, 2012 20:17

I'll go with Stripped II

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 20:28

pinkfloydthebarber
the mick taylor live versions 69 to 73, hands down. perth, philly, brussels etc. take your pick. and the studio version; whole different vibe. ronnie wood wasn't half bad at it in '75. not so hot after.

thumbs up

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 17, 2012 21:58

68to72
pinkfloydthebarber

thumbs up

I weekly upload a GS-version from the 1972 and all 1973 tours on my YT-channel. I started with the version from the Washington show 1972 July 4 and then got the idea of a weekly upload, called "kleermaker's weekly version".

Here's the first one, right after the Washington version:

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: May 17, 2012 22:36

Thanks for that Kleermaker I have been following them on your excellent youtube channel!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: falo01 ()
Date: May 18, 2012 00:56

philly 72 1st show

beside that GS was always great live

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 18, 2012 01:01

68to72
Thanks for that Kleermaker I have been following them on your excellent youtube channel!

smileys with beer

Date: May 18, 2012 01:04

His Majesty
The two best versions for me are both from 1969... The studio version and the Altamont version.

The sense of foreboding felt on the studio version is amplified x 100 on the Altamont live performance, served with an additional fat slab of raw!

Wow! eye popping smiley

Right on. That version from Altamont is the sound of what it must be like to be in the middle of a hurricane in the clouds. That is one mean ass sounding tune there.

Date: May 18, 2012 01:05

Although certainly not the best version, the one on No Security is pretty damn good.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1533
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home