Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: Where's John on the George Songs?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:21

71Tele
tatters
Always wondered how they got that big "Vroooom" sound you hear at the 3:50 mark in this clip. It's only in the mono mix. That's a bit of Moog, isn't it?

No, the Beatles were not using the synth yet on Hey Jude. They did not use it until the Abbey Road sessions.

So how did they get that big Vroooom sound? Compare it to the stereo version at the 3:20 mark in this clip. No Vroooom!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 22:35 by tatters.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:22

There's no Moog on JJF or Satanic Majesties.
Jagger later did fart around with it for that Kenneth Anger film.

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 23, 2012 22:53

Mellow Cello

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:23

tatters
So how did they get that big Vroooom sound?
I've listened over and over and the only sound that I can hear that is close to a "vrooom" is a bowed double bass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 23:23 by tonterapi.

Date: February 23, 2012 23:26

tomk
Jagger owned that Moog system and had plans to make it his instrument in the band. Brian and Bill were a bit annoyed that he never brought it to the studio.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 23:41 by tonterapi.

Date: February 24, 2012 03:33

tonterapi
tatters
So how did they get that big Vroooom sound?
I've listened over and over and the only sound that I can hear that is close to a "vrooom" is a bowed double bass.

I never would have guessed that was an acoustic instrument. It's such a powerful sound, I just assumed it must have been generated electronically. As I mentioned, you can only hear it on the single, which was in mono. It's missing from the stereo version that was used on the Hey Jude album and the 1967-1970 compilation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 05:44 by tatters.

Date: February 24, 2012 05:59

Instrumentation on Hey Jude included the following:

10 violins, three violas, three cellos, two double basses, two flutes, two clarinets, one bass clarinet, one bassoon, one contrabassoon, four trumpets, two horns, four trombones, and one percussion instrument.

Could have been the contrabassoon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 06:01 by tatters.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 24, 2012 08:09

Yeah, I wonder how Stones records would have sounded with a producer like George Martin...You can't always got with a instrumentation like Hey Jude...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: February 24, 2012 13:18

Come On
Yeah, I wonder how Stones records would have sounded with a producer like George Martin...You can't always got with a instrumentation like Hey Jude...

Charlie's drums would of sounded like coffee cans and trash can tops. Just like Ringo's.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 24, 2012 13:20

Actually Ringo's drums always were eq'ed the opposite. There is rarely any top on any of Ringo's sound, I really like that sound.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 13:31

Yeah that is ridiculous morehotrocks...Ringo's drums sound great! Especially on the Mono mixes of their early stuff. Rain, that is all I need to say. Rain! And the entire Abbey Road is one of his finest moments. Sublime.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 24, 2012 13:43

tonterapi
tomk
Jagger owned that Moog system and had plans to make it his instrument in the band. Brian and Bill were a bit annoyed that he never brought it to the studio.

They got it in September 1968.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 24, 2012 13:49

More Hot Rocks
Come On

Charlie's drums would of sounded like coffee cans and trash can tops. Just like Ringo's.

I think Ringo's drumsound on Revolver is superb (as is his drumming on these tracks)!

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 24, 2012 16:07

NoCode0680
whitem8
Well John was always looking for a mummy and daddy. He said it himself many a time. And the Maharishi was just another older man that didn't fulfill his dreams. History says that Magic Alex, jealous of being on the outside, whispered into John's ear about the Guru. And it was all untrue. There are a few later day interviews where he actually proudly recounts his meditating and what he learned. He was just in a lot of pain, and wanted to shout it out. I don't believe they were taken for anything. ON the contrary the Maharishi is was not a total philanthropist, but a scholar of Meditation who suddenly had instant fame from his relationship with The Beatles. But the man was a scholar. Lennon was looking for an excuse at every turn to rebel. And in the end he rebelled against what he created and broke it up...

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to bash the Maharishi, which I made it a point to say that HE felt (in reference to John) the guy was a charlatan. I have no idea what really went down there, just that John left feeling very disillusioned for whatever reason, though he could have changed his mind about it as he was oft to do. There are stories about stuff going on, like Neil Aspnall saying that the Maharishi tried to get them to sign over a percentage of their next album sales to him as a tithe, and of course the Mia Farrow story, but who knows what really went down there. I would say that not even The Beatles know, as they seem to all remember history differently anyway. We do know that at the time, maybe not later, John was unhappy, and I just wondered if he ever blamed George for that.

Immediately before they left for India they recorded Hey Bulldog and everyone was happy and in great spirits, then they came back and the nastiness began almost immediately.
In Geoff EmerickĀ“s very readable book Here, There and Everywhere he states that especially John Lennon was in a particurarly bad mood when they started working on The White Album. It got so bad that Emerick left in the middle of the sessions, totally disgusted with their behaviour and general lack of respect.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 24, 2012 17:51

GravityBoy
Actually Ringo's drums always were eq'ed the opposite. There is rarely any top on any of Ringo's sound, I really like that sound.

Except for the wash of cymbals at the top end!

Date: February 24, 2012 17:59

71Tele
Maybe.

But the skins have a glorius full low quality about them (Revolver onwards).

Date: February 24, 2012 18:15

tatters
Could have been the contrabassoon.
That's the first time I've heard a contra bassoon. smiling smiley It actually sounds pretty close to a bowed double bass when playing single notes so it could very well have been either one of the two.

His Majesty
They got it in September 1968.
Yes and when it arrived in England customs searched the box for drugs for three hours just because it was addressed to a certain Mr Jagger. smiling smiley

I never really understood why Jagger didn't bother to bring it down to the studio since he was a fast learner according Jon Weiss from the Moog company. Brian would have loved it. But I guess they didn't see it fit in their "back to the roots" sound. The Moog was later sold to the Hansa studio in Berlin where Chris Franke of Tangerine Dream bought it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-24 18:16 by tonterapi.

Date: February 24, 2012 18:38

tonterapi
The Moog was later sold to the Hansa studio in Berlin where Chris Franke of Tangerine Dream bought it.

Cool, I didn't know that! thumbs up

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 24, 2012 19:23

GravityBoy
71Tele
Maybe.

I think Ringo's drums on the Plastic Ono Band album are the best they ever sounded. Fantastic snare sound.

Date: February 24, 2012 19:24

And Hansa Berlin is where Iggy and Bowie made The Idiot and Low, and Heros .... Lust for Life. Very prolific time. "Hansa by the Wall..."

Date: February 24, 2012 19:40

71Tele
GravityBoy
71Tele
Maybe.

I think Ringo's drums on the Plastic Ono Band album are the best they ever sounded. Fantastic snare sound.

Damn right! Great drum sound and playing! thumbs up

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 25, 2012 03:39

>Except for the wash of cymbals at the top end!

Thank you, that drives me up the wall.

<I think Ringo's drums on the Plastic Ono Band album are the best they ever sounded. Fantastic snare sound.

I agree except that should be albumS -- his drumming on YO/POB is probably even better than that on JL/POB.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GEORGE!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 03:41 by Glam Descendant.

Date: February 25, 2012 03:53

tatters
I never would have guessed that was an acoustic instrument. It's such a powerful sound ...

Ah, yes ... the power of acoustic instruments. Slightly off-topic, but common knowledge, start at 5:30:

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:01

His Majesty
tonterapi
The Moog was later sold to the Hansa studio in Berlin where Chris Franke of Tangerine Dream bought it.

Cool, I didn't know that! thumbs up

And Micky Dolenz sold his to Bobby Sherman. It's true.

Date: February 25, 2012 04:03

... wuz gonna say the group that seemed to play with it the most
early on were The PreFab Four ... well, Micky an' Paul Beaver anyhoos ...

Date: February 25, 2012 04:08

His Majesty
71Tele
GravityBoy
71Tele
Maybe.

Damn right! Great drum sound and playing! thumbs up

Yeah, everyone is on fire on John Lennon The Plastic Ono Band. Great album, stunning, and Ringo is locked in tight with Klaus and Lennon. Amazing and some of his best drumming.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 25, 2012 04:31

>Yeah, everyone is on fire on John Lennon The Plastic Ono Band.

Again, if you haven't given YO/POB a chance you're missing out; if anything they're more on fire because there's no pesky lyrics getting in the way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-25 04:32 by Glam Descendant.

Date: February 25, 2012 06:59

TheDailyBuzzherd
tatters
I never would have guessed that was an acoustic instrument. It's such a powerful sound ...

Ah, yes ... the power of acoustic instruments.

They say the electric guitar has certain phallic properties, but if you really want to drive the ladies wild, you ought to get yourself one of these beauties!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 25, 2012 08:05

GravityBoy
71Tele
Maybe.

Maybe it was the towels...

Date: February 25, 2012 10:15

Ah yeah, I forgot about the towels, that cuts top EQ for sure.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home