Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: HAVE YOU BEEN TO AN ABORTED GIG !
Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 21, 2012 03:10

mickscarey
Me too. (and I meant San Jose)

San Jose was canceled because Mick was sick, if that's the one you're talking about. I made that trip from Dallas.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 21, 2012 04:01

Led Zep in late 70s at Chicago Stadium- said they would reschedule but never did
I think they quit right after No Quarter
Seems like one of em, Jimmy or JPJ was too wasted? Can't recall

Posted by: ab ()
Date: February 21, 2012 06:29

I went to the Who show at MSG in NYC in March '76 that was postponed by a day after the Keith Moon passout in Boston on the night before the originally scheduled date. I read years later that Moon cut his foot badly while smashing up his hotel room in NYC on the originally scheduled night and lost a lot of blood.

I saw Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers at Max's Kansas City in NYC on the night Thurman Munson died in August '79. They came on late (2:45 am) and played about 35-40 minutes. Thunders threatened not to do any encores unless they all got bl-w jobs. They did a quick version of Pipeline and called it a night. No word on whether the threat actually worked for them.

I went to get tickets on the day of the show for the second Public Image Ltd. show at the Ritz in NYC in May '81 only to find out that that night's show had been cancelled after PIL provoked a riot onstage by not playing music and taunting the audience from behind a curtain for 10 minutes. When PIL toured in '86, they did an arrangement of Pretty Vacant where they faked cutting the show short.

I went to the U2 show at RFK Stadium in DC in September '87 where Bono slipped on the wings after it rained and separated his shoulder. The show went on, but they cut the encore short.

I went to the Stones show at the Vet in Philly in September '89 on the night after the power failure during Shattered. They didn't play Shattered that night or in any other show on the rest of the tour.

I went to a Wilco/Sonic Youth show at DAR Constitution Hall in '03 where Wilco cut their second encore short after someone yelled a request to Jeff Tweedy. "You make me feel like a circus animal," pouted Tweedy.

I went to the Stones show in Charlottesville in '05 where the show was stopped for an hour because of a bomb threat.

Robert Fripp was known to cut short performances if someone took his picture, but I never attended one where he did.

And then there's Axl Rose....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 06:52 by ab.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: February 21, 2012 09:03

The Who. In 1976 at the Boston Garden. The Who came on, but something sounded wrong from the start. They got through the first song. They tried a second one, after which Pete announced that they had to go backstage for a bit. Keith wasn't feeling well, he explained.

The Who left. The house lights came on. The confused audience grew restless. Finally after about 20 minutes, Roger Daltrey appeared. Daltrey spoke, apologizing that Moon was very sick and unable to perform. He promised that they'd come back and make it up. Many in the crowd booed. If that's how you you feel, then we won't come back, he said. The crowd fell quiet, and Daltrey at that moment looked like Tommy... as he apologized one last time and left the stage. The house lights came on again... the show was over.

They played a great make-up show a number of weeks later.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: February 21, 2012 10:42

Haha, ab -- either you've been to hundreds of shows or you're the ultimate show-killer. >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: February 21, 2012 12:11

ab
I went to the Who show at MSG in NYC in March '76 that was postponed by a day after the Keith Moon passout in Boston on the night before the originally scheduled date. I read years later that Moon cut his foot badly while smashing up his hotel room in NYC on the originally scheduled night and lost a lot of blood.

I saw Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers at Max's Kansas City in NYC on the night Thurman Munson died in August '79. They came on late (2:45 am) and played about 35-40 minutes. Thunders threatened not to do any encores unless they all got bl-w jobs. They did a quick version of Pipeline and called it a night. No word on whether the threat actually worked for them.

I went to get tickets on the day of the show for the second Public Image Ltd. show at the Ritz in NYC in May '81 only to find out that that night's show had been cancelled after PIL provoked a riot onstage by not playing music and taunting the audience from behind a curtain for 10 minutes. When PIL toured in '86, they did an arrangement of Pretty Vacant where they faked cutting the show short.

I went to the U2 show at RFK Stadium in DC in September '87 where Bono slipped on the wings after it rained and separated his shoulder. The show went on, but they cut the encore short.

I went to the Stones show at the Vet in Philly in September '89 on the night after the power failure during Shattered. They didn't play Shattered that night or in any other show on the rest of the tour.

I went to a Wilco/Sonic Youth show at DAR Constitution Hall in '03 where Wilco cut their second encore short after someone yelled a request to Jeff Tweedy. "You make me feel like a circus animal," pouted Tweedy.

I went to the Stones show in Charlottesville in '05 where the show was stopped for an hour because of a bomb threat.

Robert Fripp was known to cut short performances if someone took his picture, but I never attended one where he did.

And then there's Axl Rose....

ab I think it is your duty to inform members of the board of future gigs you intend buying tickets for LOL !!!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 21, 2012 15:23

Mick Taylor was suppose to suppose to guest with Bruce Roberts at The Joiners, Southampton 92 and didn't turn up.

Then Gosport Festival a few years later he also failed to show.

Date: February 21, 2012 16:27

LieB
Haha, ab -- either you've been to hundreds of shows or you're the ultimate show-killer. >grinning smiley<

It's the former.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: February 21, 2012 17:35

I have always enjoyed Aborted's albums but I have never been to one of their gigs.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 21, 2012 18:43

chelskeith
Led Zep in late 70s at Chicago Stadium- said they would reschedule but never did
I think they quit right after No Quarter
Seems like one of em, Jimmy or JPJ was too wasted? Can't recall

APRIL 9 - CHICAGO STADIUM, CHICAGO, ILLINOIS (SATURDAY, 8pm)
The show ended suddenly when Jimmy Page went down on stage because of illness.

Recording Includes: The Song Remains The Same >> The Rover Intro >> Sick Again, Since I've Been Loving You tease, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, Robert Plant Announcements Richard Cole Closing Announcements

[www.argenteumastrum.com]

"Food poisoning" maybe? Or a dirty needle? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-21 18:44 by dcba.

Posted by: jsz1002 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:31

San Jose 1999 here as well. I drove almost 400 miles to see it and didn't realize it was postponed till we were already there. Got to see the rescheduled show though....and it was supposedly filmed! Where's the dvd?!!

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:37

I was in the 18th row in Charlottsville VA Bigger Bang when Mick stopped mid verse. He said security problem and everyone left the stage.
The house lights came on and they evacuated the first 20 rows.

After running the bomb dogs areound the stage for an hour, the Stones returned and palyed the remainder of the show. Except for Keith's bit and introductions they didn't miss a lick.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 21, 2012 19:44

Saw the B-52s leave the stage early while opening for the Who in Orlando in 1982. Fans were bombarding the stage with cups, shoes, etc.

Don't know "Who" thought this was a good match for the Who fans.

I think Shawn20 and Lukester were there too.

Posted by: jsz1002 ()
Date: February 21, 2012 20:43

Saw Guns n' Roses in 1993 in Sacramento and that show got canceled because allegedly somebody threw a bottle of "piss" at Duff and Axl got upset and walked off.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 21, 2012 21:32

Was at the Cow Palace in '73 when Keith Moon collapsed twice, the second time never to return, and a guy came out of the audience to play drums for the rest of the show. An aborted, then resumed, then aborted, then resumed gig.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:46

to ab :
Re Axl Rose : PLEASE tell us!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-22 23:48 by dcba.

Posted by: bestfour ()
Date: February 22, 2012 23:51

drinking smiley Went to Paris for a cancelled gig ..... Keith fell out of a tree!!!!!!
I had flights and hotel booked, wife delighted TWO visits to PARIS drinking smiley

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: February 23, 2012 00:46

atip
mickscarey
Me too. (and I meant San Jose)

San Jose was canceled because Mick was sick, if that's the one you're talking about. I made that trip from Dallas.

Yep .. me from NYC!

Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: February 23, 2012 04:09

We went all the way down to the boardwalk in AC, NJ, just to find out the boys wimped out for the lame Slick Willy B-Day party at the Beacon...

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 23, 2012 08:48

Everclear was going to do a show in Auckland New Zealand I bought my tickets 2 weeks before the show and on the day of the show it got canceled because the band had a falling out or somthing like that.I was not happy.everclear are one of my fav bands

Feel The Fear
And Do It Anyway

Date: February 23, 2012 12:33

dcba
to ab :
Re Axl Rose : PLEASE tell us!

I only saw Guns 'n Roses once (twenty years ago at MSG), but they didn't get onstage until around 10:45 pm for an "around 8 pm" show with one warmup act (Soundgarden). I was merely alluding to Axl's penchant for no-shows and cutting shows short for the most petulant reasons. That night, Axl Rose hung around for the whole 2 1/2 hour set, despite his whiny us against them diatribe directed at Jon Pareles, the New York Times writer who wrote a lukewarm review of another GnR show that week.

When Live Nation (or whatever name Clear Channel was using at the time) cancelled the rest of a GnR tour a few years ago after dear Axl pulled his second no-show of the tour, I was in the odd position of siding with the corporate monolith against the performer. It was nice to see that twerp get his comeupance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 12:58 by ab.

Date: February 23, 2012 12:47

Elmo Lewis
Saw the B-52s leave the stage early while opening for the Who in Orlando in 1982. Fans were bombarding the stage with cups, shoes, etc.

The 1982 Who crowds could be pretty hostile to opening acts. When I saw the Clash warmup for the Who at JFK Stadium in Philly on that tour, Joe Strummer asked "How many you Who people think we shouldn't be here?" after a few projectiles were tossed their way. About half the audience applauded.

And this was two years after Pete Townshend said, "If I were a kid today, I wouldn't pay to see the Who. I'd go see the Clash." Granted, it was the Clash past their prime with Terry Chimes in place of Topper Headon, but they weren't half bad.

The Who, on the other hand, were terrible that day. They seemed like an imitation of themselves, just going through the motions and lacking energy. It was their first farewell tour, and they played like they couldn't wait to leave. They were LOTS better in 2000.

A friend of mine said about Who's Last, the live set from that tour: "If they were a new band and this was their demo, they couldn't get signed."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-23 12:51 by ab.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 23, 2012 15:37

ab
Elmo Lewis

The 1982 Who crowds could be pretty hostile to opening acts. When I saw the Clash warmup for the Who at JFK Stadium in Philly on that tour, Joe Strummer asked "How many you Who people think we shouldn't be here?" after a few projectiles were tossed their way. About half the audience applauded.

And this was two years after Pete Townshend said, "If I were a kid today, I wouldn't pay to see the Who. I'd go see the Clash." Granted, it was the Clash past their prime with Terry Chimes in place of Topper Headon, but they weren't half bad.

The Who, on the other hand, were terrible that day. They seemed like an imitation of themselves, just going through the motions and lacking energy. It was their first farewell tour, and they played like they couldn't wait to leave. They were LOTS better in 2000.

A friend of mine said about Who's Last, the live set from that tour: "If they were a new band and this was their demo, they couldn't get signed."

Wow! The Orlando show was really good - better than the Stones the previous year. Also, joan Jett did "Star, Star" that day.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 23, 2012 16:13

dewlover
We went all the way down to the boardwalk in AC, NJ, just to find out the boys wimped out for the lame Slick Willy B-Day party at the Beacon...

I flew from Tokyo to Atlantic city for that one; my buddy who had flown in from Seattle and I ended up going to see Constitution Hall and the Liberty Bell. What a depressing day that was . . . .

The other one they cancelled (probably because of poor sales) was Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Thanksgiving holiday, 2006. I had four tickets in the 10th row for the family, and we had booked air and hotel as well. So, instead of seeing the Stones, we spent the day on the beach -- somehow, being in Hawaii made the cancelled gig seem very unimportant.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1777
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home