Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Ronnie Wood now playing Tremolo Strats instead of the Hardtails?
Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: August 31, 2019 16:35

Alas I'm not able to repost Bjornulf's photo from
the Glendale Reviews/Pictures.
You have to scroll down to it. The 11th pic it is.
You can see the backplate of a tremolo equipped Strat there.
Did I miss the change?

Re: Is Ronnie Wood now playing Tremolo Strats instead of the Hardtails?
Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: August 31, 2019 17:08

Almost every Fender Strat has a tremolo system. Most people turn the springs tight for a more stable tuning and do not use it. I guess that's what Ronnie does. For using a Tremolo system he has his Duesenberg and Danelectro guitars.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: August 31, 2019 20:46

Phil Good
Alas I'm not able to repost Bjornulf's photo from
the Glendale Reviews/Pictures.
You have to scroll down to it. The 11th pic it is.
You can see the backplate of a tremolo equipped Strat there.
Did I miss the change?

Ronnie owns many strats, mainly 54 & 55, some of them no longer used during live shows. It´s correct Ronnie mostly played hardtails, but he also used many tremolo strats over the years. Ronnies most favoured 55 hardtail strat hasn´t been used live since ABB, it has been "on tour" with exhibitionism. That´s the same guitar he for example used 1981 with Muddy Waters at Checkerboard Lounge. The strat he mainly have been using during No Filter Tour is a 54 (or maybe 55) (round string tree). I believe it has been acquired recently.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 22:31

You can see and hear Ronnie (ab)use his strat's whammy bar on most of the concert dvds from the last, what, twenty odd years, especially on Satisfaction.

Date: August 31, 2019 22:59

StonedRambler
Almost every Fender Strat has a tremolo system. Most people turn the springs tight for a more stable tuning and do not use it. I guess that's what Ronnie does. For using a Tremolo system he has his Duesenberg and Danelectro guitars.

Locking tuners strongly recommended on a Strat. Saves you a lot of tuning misery.

Date: August 31, 2019 23:01

SomeGuy
You can see and hear Ronnie (ab)use his strat's whammy bar on most of the concert dvds from the last, what, twenty odd years, especially on Satisfaction.

That´s not correct. No 54 or 55 strats with whammy bars have been used, infact no strat with whammy bar at all (you have to go back to 1982 to see Ronnie play a Fender strat with a whammy bar with Stones). The "strat" used a lot for satisfaction earlier is a Ted Newman Jones.

Posted by: SomeGuy ()
Date: August 31, 2019 23:17

Oh ok, I couldnt make that out on my screen

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 2, 2019 00:00

TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Locking tuners strongly recommended on a Strat. Saves you a lot of tuning misery.
Not necessary at all. Just make sure your strings are correctly wound on your tuner and the nut is correctly slotted and lubed.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 2, 2019 00:31

audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Not necessary at all. Just make sure your strings are correctly wound on your tuner and the nut is correctly slotted and lubed.

You must be a Strat optimist. winking smiley

Date: September 2, 2019 00:54

TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Not at all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Owned a few, none with locking tuners, and never had tuning issues as long as they had a good setup and stringed correctly. Not much divebombing, but of course you have Floyd Rose for that. And you don’t want a Floyd Rose on a Fender Strat. winking smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Date: September 2, 2019 01:09

audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Not at all. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Owned a few, none with locking tuners, and never had tuning issues as long as they had a good setup and stringed correctly. Not much divebombing, but of course you have Floyd Rose for that. And you don’t want a Floyd Rose on a Fender Strat. winking smiley

Hendrix was out of tune half the time but things might have changed for the better over the years-hence Jeff Beck. He uses Locking Tuners as far as I understood. For good reasons, to my experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-09-02 01:42 by TheflyingDutchman.

Date: September 2, 2019 02:14

TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Hendrix was out of tune half the time but things might have changed for the better over the years-hence Jeff Beck. He uses Locking Tuners as far as I understood. For good reasons, to my experience.

Blackmore was also often out of tune in the ‘70s. But then they often abused the guitar rather than playing it. Also they played mostly CBS Fenders that weren’t very good. In fact, I think Ritchie even stated that in an interview some time ago. The way they used (or abused) their guitars, it’s not very peculiar they went out of tune every now and then.
At the time they didn’t have guitartechs on stage like today either.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 2, 2019 10:06

audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Quite so ...at least for normal wobble duties .

But folks wanting to indulge in more modern extreme "whammy" abuse would be better served by something like a Floyd Rose...as Ronnie had fitted to that Tokai Strat in '82.

Date: September 2, 2019 12:42

audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
audun-eg
TheflyingDutchman
StonedRambler

Blackmore was also often out of tune in the ‘70s. But then they often abused the guitar rather than playing it. Also they played mostly CBS Fenders that weren’t very good. In fact, I think Ritchie even stated that in an interview some time ago. The way they used (or abused) their guitars, it’s not very peculiar they went out of tune every now and then.
At the time they didn’t have guitartechs on stage like today either.

I mean, if a Strat gets out of tune by divebombing it also will get out of by playing a "tea tremolo" after a few times. So the system is not waterproof-hence my remark locking tuners are a huge improvement. I don't want to walk on eggs.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 3, 2019 14:30

Haven't seen Wood with a tremelo Strat in a long, long time. Must have have been 1978 or so. He just favours hardtails, as they sound better than tremelo strats. They ARE difficult the stay in tune, especially if they are floating. That's why he took a Tokai in 1981 and installed a Floyd Rose with a locking nut.

Ps locking tuners don't help much, its the nut where the problem is.

Mathijs

Date: September 3, 2019 15:53

Mathijs

Mathijs

Can be, but from the moment I put locking tuners on my Strat, the tuning problem had gone.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: September 3, 2019 17:24

Mathijs
Haven't seen Wood with a tremelo Strat in a long, long time. Must have have been 1978 or so. He just favours hardtails, as they sound better than tremelo strats. They ARE difficult the stay in tune, especially if they are floating. That's why he took a Tokai in 1981 and installed a Floyd Rose with a locking nut.

Mathijs

Not sure I'd agree there...but its all a matter of taste really.

Personally I like a "Tremelo" equipped Strat... but with the trem flush to the body with 5 tightened springs.
That way you get the stability and the "Wood" in the sound but you still get that bit of characteristic "sprang" from the Trem block and springs.

Floating trems are a complete PIA . I don't have a good enough ear to keep opposed country bends in tune with a trem ...in fact I sometimes struggle to tune the bloody thing up in the first place !

Date: September 3, 2019 17:37

Mathijs

Mathijs

Shepherds Bush Empire 2001 during the solo tour, beautiful old strat!

[www.youtube.com]

Date: September 3, 2019 18:41

JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

Who's playing the Hiwatt?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 4, 2019 12:57

JumpinJeppeFlash
Mathijs

Mathijs

[www.youtube.com]

Just for the record here on IORR....that's a refinished body by Clive in the UK. Strat is from 1955.

Mathijs

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: September 4, 2019 18:44

I think this guy give the best lesson on how to string a strat and keep it in tune!

[www.youtube.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2662
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home