Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Rare- Jagger radio promo for 1965 LA Sports Arena Show
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: February 18, 2012 07:58

I flat out love the Los Angeles Sports Arena - have long searched for images from the tour closing 1965 show there, but to no avail. I've been there many many times - have shot there - sees games, concerts, etc- and I ALWYS think of the Stones having been there.

BUT - found this audio artifact - Jagger promoting the show for then-hot radio station KHJ - so I made a rough copy of it and added a visual ad from the show

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 08:13 by hbwriter.

Re: Rare- Jagger radio promo for 1965 LA Sports Arena Show
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 18, 2012 08:29

The Sports Arena has it's place in LA Concert history. I've seen Bruce there many times, as well as ZZ Top and Michael Jackson...I am am sure there were others. The sound is better than the Forum and far better than the Staples Center. It is, as Bruce Springsteen puts it, "The Dump That Jumps"

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 09:08

Ricky Schroder said when he did commercials as a kid "I'd have to say a whole gob of words in a brief time. In commercials, they want you to say as many words as possible in the shortest time possible. It was a pain." That's obviously how Mick was directed here.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 18, 2012 18:32

Thanks for posting. The Sports Arena rules as a concert venue in L.A.

Posted by: detroitken ()
Date: February 18, 2012 19:05

Thanx for sharing...

Date: February 18, 2012 19:36

as i type this here in my office- i am sitting in a chair from the sports arena - adore that place

Date: February 18, 2012 19:38

Title5Take1
Ricky Schroder said when he did commercials as a kid "I'd have to say a whole gob of words in a brief time. In commercials, they want you to say as many words as possible in the shortest time possible. It was a pain." That's obviously how Mick was directed here.

you don't think mick was speaking off the cuff? smiling smiley

alt. script: Hey, this is mick jagger - if you want some satisfaction, have your mother give you a little help and get tickets to our December show at the sports arena - this may be the last time so don't play with fire!

Date: February 18, 2012 21:13

24FPS

Yeah, but the neighborhood! Yuck!

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Posted by: mitchflorida1 ()
Date: February 18, 2012 21:20

93 KHJ was a kick ass AM radio station. It ruled Los Angeles at that time.

FM? What was FM ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-18 21:24 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 18, 2012 21:29

I loved "93 KHJ . . ." back in the 60's. KRLA and KFWB were their competitors back then. KRLA had Casey Kasem and had a distinct favor and I listened to both KHJ and KRLA every day.

I saw only one concert at the Sports Arena. There were several groups on the bill, but I only remember the Turtles. Also saw the Lakers there.

Date: February 18, 2012 21:37

sports arena was one of only two u.s. arenas that got the original version of The Wall - (nassau coliseum was the other)

Posted by: Carnaby ()
Date: February 19, 2012 00:35

[email protected]
24FPS

Yeah, but the neighborhood! Yuck!

Scotty,
Irvine, CA

Yeah, really. And I always enjoyed driving to the Forum. And the buzz of being in traffic on the way to a Stones show at Dodger Stadium.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 19, 2012 02:08

My concert going career started thanks to KHJ.

They had this safecracker contest and I was the 13th caller. While I didn't win the big prize of $1,000, I did win the consolation prize of a pair of tickets to see the Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Hollywood Bowl. The song that was on the radio when I called in was The Snake by Al Wilson, I can't believe I remember that!

Date: February 19, 2012 04:37

some photos from the Sports Arena:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 12:37 by mitchflorida1.

Date: February 19, 2012 04:48

mitch! where did you find them?? amazing!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 19, 2012 08:47

Great photos. That's the first one I've seen where Bill has moved over by Keith, leaving Brian alone. I always wondered if that was caused by the growing schism within the group towards Brian.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 19, 2012 09:59

This KRLA Beat magazine has an interview from around the time of the concert, plus other gems.

[krlabeat.sakionline.net]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 09:59 by tomk.

Date: February 19, 2012 15:42

24FPS
Great photos. That's the first one I've seen where Bill has moved over by Keith, leaving Brian alone. I always wondered if that was caused by the growing schism within the group towards Brian.

I think Brian had just missed about four concerts from being sick with pneumonia.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 15:57 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 19, 2012 17:13

mitchflorida1
24FPS

I think Brian had just missed about four concerts from being sick with pneumonia.

Brian didn't miss any gigs after 1964.

I think Bill moving to the other side of the stage was possibly because of a combination of these things.

1 Brian needed more room on his side of the stage once he started using the Vox Continental, which would have pushed Bill even further left of Brian.

2 ALO might have suggested it as it placed Keith more in centre view of the stage and ALO was quite in to promoting Keith at this point.

Date: February 19, 2012 20:34

tomk
This KRLA Beat magazine has an interview from around the time of the concert, plus other gems.

[krlabeat.sakionline.net]

They used the Los Angeles press conference to officialy announce their new movie, "Back , Behind and in Front" to be filmed in April 1966.

Never heard another word about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-19 20:43 by mitchflorida1.

Date: February 20, 2012 02:20

It turns out the movie was to be based on a book called Only Lovers Left Behind, to be directed by Nicholas Ray, who did Rebel Without a Cause.
in which the Stones would play a "youth gang . . . battling for survival in a postapocalyptic world.

I guess it went nowhere because the financing wasn't there or the group lost interest . or they thought Ray couldn't pull it off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 02:27 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:28

hbwriter
sports arena was one of only two u.s. arenas that got the original version of The Wall - (nassau coliseum was the other)

I was there for two of those nights hbwriter (I think they played 6 or 7 niights?)...anyways, very memorable experiences! thumbs up

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 20, 2012 04:38

mitchflorida1
some photos from the Sports Arena:

When I first glanced at this I thought it was Jim Morrison at the mike.

Date: February 20, 2012 11:04

^ Strange that Keith is plugged in to the Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz Tone, suggesting they are playing Satisfaction, but that Brian is using his Rickenbacker 12 string.

Date: February 20, 2012 12:19

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 12:24 by mitchflorida1.

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: February 20, 2012 14:32

His Majesty
^ Strange that Keith is plugged in to the Maestro FZ-1 Fuzz Tone, suggesting they are playing Satisfaction, but that Brian is using his Rickenbacker 12 string.

You think he only plugged it in just before playing that song? I think he plugged it in before the concert started...

Date: February 20, 2012 15:08

Sacke
His Majesty

You think he only plugged it in just before playing that song? I think he plugged it in before the concert started...

No, at their concerts during 1965 - 1966 he has it sitting on the amp not in use, sometimes plugged in to the 2nd channel of the amp. The guitar going direct to amp, when it's time for Satisfaction he then put the pedal in to the 1st channel signal chain or plugs in to the fuzz which is going in to the 2nd channel.

The probable reason for this is that those Maestro Fuzz Tone had no true bypass, so when you use them the signal is affected slightly, muffled a bit when the pedal is disengaged. So for Keith it seems a compromise of sound due to the use of the Fuzz Tone was only acceptable to him for Satisfaction because the Fuzz Tone was at that point essential to the performance of the song.

The photos for this gig show that the Maestro Fuzz Tone when not in use is on the amp, but plugged in to the 2nd channel of the Fender Showman amplifier. Keith is plugged in to the 1st channel, then when the fuzz is shown in use on the floor, he is then going in to the 2nd channel which I assume would be set up brighter to counter the non true bypass signal of the Fuzz Tone.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 15:25 by His Majesty.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 20, 2012 15:31

Slow down there Poindexter !

Date: February 20, 2012 15:35

The GR
Slow down there Poindexter !

>grinning smiley<

Date: February 20, 2012 20:14

Here is the likely playlist for the Sports Arena Concert. I doubt if they were on the stage more than 35 minutes.

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love
Play With Fire
Mercy Mercy
Around And Around
The Last Time
That's How Strong My Love Is
Get Off Of My Cloud
Satisfaction

Brian on the organ:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-20 20:26 by mitchflorida1.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home