Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: RIP film maker DA Pennebaker.
Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: August 4, 2019 16:09

Film maker DA Pennebaker has died. He's best known for documenting Bob Dylan's 1965 tour of the UK in "Don't Look Back" and he was also responsible for "Monterey Pop" in 1967 and "Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars" from 1973.

Guardian obituary

[youtu.be]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-08-04 16:15 by Deltics.

Re: OT: RIP film maker DA Pennebaker.
Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: August 4, 2019 22:47

From reading the obituaries , he was obviously a great filmmaker and well respected for what he has done in his life.
I have heard about several of his films but never seen any of them from start to finish. Will try to do it at some time soon.
He lived to the age of 94,and I hope he had a great life.

R.I.P. Donn Alan Pennebaker

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 4, 2019 22:57

Would love to see the Dylan /Pennebaker film Eat the Document produced in 1966.
Never been released.
Followed by CS Blues film of course.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:06

Great documentarian. Here's a link to full version of eat the doc from utoob.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 4, 2019 23:15

dmay
Great documentarian. Here's a link to full version of eat the doc from utoob.

[www.youtube.com]

Great! Thanks very much.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: August 4, 2019 23:51

EAT THE DOCUMENT is *not* a Pennebaker film. He was not involved in the '66 tour. The director's credit goes to Bob Dylan, with a lot of assistance from Howard Alk.

Date: August 11, 2019 12:39

As a tribute, UK BBC2 showed Don't Look Back last night.
Obviously something of a period piece but somehow quite absorbing. Lots of tedium however, especially Dylan in 'conversation' with a fledging reporter (Mr Jones?).
The concert pieces were excellent...and Joan Baez was a delight. Not sure if it was Dylans future wife (Sara) or Manager Grossman's wife (Sally) who was in the film a lot but kept silent throughout. Thought I saw a glimpse of Marianne Faithfull backstage, not sure. Tito Burns was featured, he was the UK Agent for Dylan and The Stones during this period.
Dylan gas been acting all his adult life as this film clearly shows.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: August 11, 2019 14:33

Glam Descendant
EAT THE DOCUMENT is *not* a Pennebaker film. He was not involved in the '66 tour. The director's credit goes to Bob Dylan, with a lot of assistance from Howard Alk.

I thought Pennebaker and possibly Howard Alk (?) filmed the 1966 tour and Pennebaker prepared a rough cut called "Something Is Happening". The Bobster decided it was too similar to Don't Look Back and re-edited it with Alk and that cut became Eat The Document.
Either way, I'd love to see all the footage from that tour. If it were possible to edit together a complete concert (acoustic and electric sets) from that footage it would be an absolute classic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1913
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home