Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
was very dissapointed, when I heard "beggars banquet" the first time , back in 68
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 10, 2012 20:57

well, I am a rollng stone-fan since 1964. Just like their R&B-era. great records at this time. no.1--no.2.. out of our heads..and aftermath. A lot of great "singles". My fav. were songs like "Empty heart","2120 Michigan Avenue" and so on and on.. I was 16!!, when B.B. was released. It was the first time, I was confused--regarding the stones "new "Album.. "sympathy for the devil"? Street fighting men?.. not their best, I thought. " no expectations" and "stray cat"i really liked. well, my TOP STONES-TIME was the "BRIAN JONES" eara. But time went by and while i am listening B.B.--L.i.B. S.F. e.O.M.S. these days, I aggree --The Stones become better and better!.
their Tours-70--73--76-----78---89-90---94-95--2002-2003---2005-2007-were great! !Well, I missed the 1981/82. Tour
hope they will not stop. No stadiums, please!. ----and I am sure we will hear NEW Stuff in the next years. thanx for a great time--Rolling Stones!

Re: was very dissapointed, when I heard "beggars banquet" the first time , back in 68
Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 10, 2012 20:59

interesting....even though it followed "Their Satanic Majesties Request"

Re: was very dissapointed, when I heard "beggars banquet" the first time , back in 68
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:08

I hated it when I first heard it in 1968...mind you I was only 3, so my musical influences were fairly limited at that time.

I do recall liking the Monkees however, so...whatever. Or something.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:15

The "satanic"-album was aweful for me. 2000 Man the only song , I really like

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:20

Havo
The "satanic"-album was aweful for me. 2000 Man the only song , I really like
thought maybe you would've been thrilled with Beggar's especially after Satanic

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:20

There are many albums, which I now call among my favorites, I hated the first time I heard them. The first Led Zeppelin record is an example, but within months, I became a fanatic. It's still on my top 10 list.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:39

Strange..I thought: Great, The Rolling Stones is back...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: February 10, 2012 21:44

BluzDude
There are many albums, which I now call among my favorites, I hated the first time I heard them. The first Led Zeppelin record is an example, but within months, I became a fanatic. It's still on my top 10 list.

I agree..first time listen is not indicative of an album's full effect; it has to grow on you after multiple plays

Date: February 10, 2012 21:48

BluzDude

I still hate it...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 10, 2012 23:46

I loved Beggars from the first listen on and it's still one of my favourites.
How could anyone be disapointed about songs like Sympathy,No expectations,Stray cat Blues, S.F. Man, Jigsaw puzzle, Salt of the Earth,etc. Such a geat album!

Still have the smell of that vinyl album and my old record player in my mind . .

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 11, 2012 00:18

dissapointment!!!!.......heck up against the wall from the first sounds of Sympathy...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2012 03:30

The Rolling Stones - Aftermath - Their Satanic Majesties Request

A fantastic musical journey from blues roots to outer space...

Then they came back down to earth and stayed there. Zzz.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: February 11, 2012 07:55

I was disappointed because I didn't hear it until after hearing Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Exile. It wasn't as sophisticated as those were. I think it was the rawness of Parachute Woman that grew on me.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:37

x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-11 08:43 by open-g.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:42

They freaked me out because they were producing Warhorses, which would eventually end up as Salami.

on the other hand, I didn't have to wait long to like the cold Italian pizza.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: February 11, 2012 08:56

The first album I heard that was a bit of a disappointment was Goat's Head Soup. Everything before that was unmitigated pleasure. Beggars Banquet filled me with joy.

Re: Beggars Banquet back in 68
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 11, 2012 10:57

Beggars Banquet was the first Stones album i bought with my own money
it was confusing that Jumpin Jack Flash wasn't on it
but Stray Cat Blues and Street Fighting Man - ohhh just listen to THAT!

i love the Rolling Stones

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:01

24FPS
I think it was the rawness of Parachute Woman that grew on me.

Astoundingly brilliant.

They would NEVER let that out of a studio today.

That track is down, dirty, mushy and just MOVES.

Some producer would insist it had to be cleaned up with compressors and limiters and all that carp.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:15

Havo
well, I am a rollng stone-fan since 1964. Just like their R&B-era. great records at this time. no.1--no.2.. out of our heads..and aftermath. A lot of great "singles". My fav. were songs like "Empty heart","2120 Michigan Avenue" and so on and on.. I was 16!!, when B.B. was released. It was the first time, I was confused--regarding the stones "new "Album.. "sympathy for the devil"? Street fighting men?.. not their best, I thought. " no expectations" and "stray cat"i really liked. well, my TOP STONES-TIME was the "BRIAN JONES" eara. But time went by and while i am listening B.B.--L.i.B. S.F. e.O.M.S. these days, I aggree --The Stones become better and better!.
their Tours-70--73--76-----78---89-90---94-95--2002-2003---2005-2007-were great! !Well, I missed the 1981/82. Tour
hope they will not stop. No stadiums, please!. ----and I am sure we will hear NEW Stuff in the next years. thanx for a great time--Rolling Stones!

This brings up an interesting point. I was only 8 when BB came out so I caught up to it a bit later. The Stones hooked me at age 10 when I first heard Ya Yas. That album made me think of the Stones as an electric guitar band. When I first heard BB I was surprised at hearing a very different sound but I liked it. Which brings me to something I was almost going to start a thread on but now I don't need to: Album Reviews. Yesterday I did some research through websites of various magazines and fan sites and looked up reviews of classic Stones albums which were written at the time the albums came out. I was rather bemused to find very unkind reviews of ALL of the "big four" albums, BB, LIB, SF & Exile. In fact it was hard to find one glowing review of any of them, which only proves that reviews don't count for much as now these albums are revered as some of the greatest rock music created. One thing I've noticed in my own experience of the Stones is that many times, a new album would leave me somewhat let down but something would pull me back to it, it would slip into focus and I would find myself loving it. Sometimes great art isn't fully comprehended or appreciated on first glance.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: February 11, 2012 11:43

CousinC
I loved Beggars from the first listen on and it's still one of my favourites.
How could anyone be disapointed about songs like Sympathy,No expectations,Stray cat Blues, S.F. Man, Jigsaw puzzle, Salt of the Earth,etc. Such a geat album!

Still have the smell of that vinyl album and my old record player in my mind . .

thumbs up Me too !!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: February 11, 2012 14:24

GravityBoy
compressors and limiters and all that carp.

Those things have already been used during it's production.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 11, 2012 14:35

His Majesty
GravityBoy
compressors and limiters and all that carp.

Those things have already been used during it's production.

Yes.. but you could overload them.

Back then.

One of McCartney's gripes about modern day recording.

Posted by: wupperstein ()
Date: February 11, 2012 16:06

I liked Beggars Banquet, from the first listen. First time I was disapointed, when I listen to "Goats Head Soup". But now I like this record.

Date: February 11, 2012 16:26

The albums that take to time to grow on me; the ones that I don't like at first, are usually the 'real' keepers. the very best.

Date: February 11, 2012 16:54

I was kind of dissapointed when I first heard Exile...or do I remember wrong here??? Ithought it was to short for a double-album...smoking smiley

2 1 2 0

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:00

Havo: Not surprised. It's the first, really second LP, that scewed their pop sound.
The biggest clue to me was you liked "2000 Man". "Beggars ..." was raw compared the
previous production, and was anything except pop. Strange how time makes friends
with the friendless ... it was a bold LP of its time and though it largely stays
there, from time to time it waxes relevant.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: February 23, 2012 23:32

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 24, 2012 00:38

I remember buying it when it was released and being fascinated at the "new" sound of The Stones. I vividly remember listening to Sympathy while driving and very high on pot and being blown away by the "woo-woos". I still have the vinyl BB.

Posted by: soulsurvivor1 ()
Date: February 24, 2012 06:23

I always Loved This Record...Could You imagine if Jumping Jack Flash & Child of The Moon were put on this album? Person ally, I could do without JIG SAW PUZZLE This could have been one of the Stones Biggest Sellers of all time..Sympathy, Street Fighting Man, JJ Flash, No Expectations.. The Stones didn't do themselves any favors by excluding singles off many of their albums...19th Nervous Breakdown on Aftermath? FANTASTIC!
Or Perhaps the real Honky Tonk Women on Let It Bleed...
Just A Thought..

SOULSURVIVOR

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 24, 2012 07:53

Come On
I was kind of dissapointed when I first heard Exile...or do I remember wrong here??? Ithought it was to short for a double-album...smoking smiley

By today's standards, it's even short for a single CD!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1184
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home