Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Recording Sessions Guide Book
Posted by: The GR ()
Date: February 10, 2012 17:32

Oi....Elliot !

How about emailing your old mate The GR? Or I'll set Nikki S ghost on yer.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 10, 2012 18:18

Well, both first books from Appli (Heart of stone) and Elliott(Compl.Rec.Sessions) have been quite weak.
Lots of mistakes, omissions and hard to follow. Of course we have to consider the time of writing (pre Internet days,etc). Both 2. books/ed. were much better but still not as good as they could have been.

As I'm collecting those books, - if Martin is to write a new one I'm looking forward to it.Good luck!

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: February 10, 2012 18:22

I recently compiled a list of approxmately 1000 Rolling Stones in chronological order according to their first appearence in Felix's website. This list included edits, extended edits, mono mixes, dance mixes, alternate versions and remixes. It also included a few boots such as You Can't Judge A Book, the IBC demos, CS Blues, and live tunes never recorded from Four Flicks and The Biggest Bang. I made a playlist on itunes and it took 40 days to finally get thru them all on my Ipod. Maybe someday, I will do the same with Nico's website but can't get on it except with my iphone!

Date: February 12, 2012 19:21

I wrote iphone but it was posted as @#$%&! Why?

Date: February 12, 2012 19:22

I Phone is what I said. Very curious

Date: February 12, 2012 19:28

Iphone!

Posted by: TheDailyBuzzherd ()
Date: February 12, 2012 21:44

donvis
Iphone!

AllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboyAllworkandnoplaymakesJackadullboy

oops, sorry

Date: February 12, 2012 22:04

No seriously, every time i write the word i p h o n e it comes out as a bunch of symbols. iphone

Date: February 12, 2012 22:05

Try it yourself.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: February 12, 2012 22:35

On a related note, how is Andy Babiuk coming along on his "Stones Gear" book? I enjoyed his Beatles Gear book, but a similar book on the Stones would have to be absolutely huge if he gave their various instruments the same attention as he did in the Beatles book.

And in the "Google is Your Friend" dept., a quick search reveals we can all look forward to this tome in late 2012.

[www.andybabiuksfabgear.com]
Stones Gear Book

Apologies for straying slightly off topic, away from recording sessions and into gear.

Date: February 13, 2012 02:57

Felix Aeppli's book is the best IMO. But w/ Stones I think it is best to use sveral books. Like Wyman, Karnbach, Bonanno an Aeppli.
I know Martin E. is a big fan, and most likely a very nice guy; but what I get from his books is mainly a composite of all the others. I still make a point to support his work. If there is a 3rd coming I will get it.

Date: February 13, 2012 02:59

Iphone

whoah

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-13 02:59 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Date: February 13, 2012 05:42

Palace Revolution did you try it?

Date: February 13, 2012 12:18

donvis
Palace Revolution did you try it?
Yeah, donvis.

BTw I see you started a thread about it. Must have something to do with product placement

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: February 13, 2012 12:42

Palace Revolution 2000
Felix Aeppli's book is the best IMO. But w/ Stones I think it is best to use sveral books. Like Wyman, Karnbach, Bonanno an Aeppli.
I know Martin E. is a big fan, and most likely a very nice guy; but what I get from his books is mainly a composite of all the others. I still make a point to support his work. If there is a 3rd coming I will get it.

Look, as I see it, the problem with ALL the books is the decentralised recording work of the Stones. Other than the Beatles who recorded most of their stuff in one single place, the Stones used a variety of studios all over the world, and the book authors didn't have access to studio files and logs. So a lot of information in Stones books is based on circulating tapes, bootlegs,hearsay and guesswork whereas Lewison had access to the actual studio files and tapes. This, however, only adds to the myth of the Stones unreleased studio work. It's always possible that certain gems pop up which have escaped the attention of even the most serious Stones sessions experts.

Date: February 13, 2012 13:20

There was a list on here a while back of all the tapes held by ABCKO and there were no hidden gems there.

Date: February 13, 2012 15:22

The GR
There was a list on here a while back of all the tapes held by ABCKO and there were no hidden gems there.

Those lists included only stereo and mono masters, but no multitrack tapes, not even live recordings. Did they even list Reelin' And Rockin', Key To The Highway, Go On Home Girl or the early take of Mercy Mercy, stuff which appeared seemingly out of nowhere in recent years? I can't remember, have to check it.

Date: February 13, 2012 15:58

Thats because the original tapes are no longer in their hands I think.

Date: February 13, 2012 16:41

The GR
Thats because the original tapes are no longer in their hands I think.

Think so, too. But the question is: why? And in which hands are the tapes that are not in ABKCO's hands?

With The Beatles, everything is so well organized and documented. You have numerous takes of all songs they ever recorded. But the Stones archives are somewhat "foggy". Which take is the released take of, let's say "That's How Strong My Love Is"? And do the other takes still exist? And where? On The other hand, that's somewhat mystical and when something unsuspected appears out of nowhere, truly fascinating.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: February 13, 2012 17:19

The Beatles were lucky from an archive perspective from being at Abbey Road Studio 2 for almost their entire recording career (except for the aborted Let it Be sessions).

Everything nicely documented and stored.

The Stones were all over the place.

Nightmare.

Date: February 13, 2012 19:29

Most of the Olympic stuff was thrown out as rubbish !

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:06

alimente
Palace Revolution 2000

Look, as I see it, the problem with ALL the books is the decentralised recording work of the Stones. Other than the Beatles who recorded most of their stuff in one single place, the Stones used a variety of studios all over the world, and the book authors didn't have access to studio files and logs. So a lot of information in Stones books is based on circulating tapes, bootlegs,hearsay and guesswork whereas Lewison had access to the actual studio files and tapes. This, however, only adds to the myth of the Stones unreleased studio work. It's always possible that certain gems pop up which have escaped the attention of even the most serious Stones sessions experts.

Thats exactly right. The Stones recording history is an absolute labyrinth.

The Beatles recorded for one company over a period of seven years and almost all of it in the same studio.

Dylan is another example of a well-known act whose recorded history is for the most part easy to trace. All but one of his studio albums were recorded for Columbia (the exception being Planet Waves, now available on Columbia), all of it has been recorded in the US, many of it at Columbia Studios in New York or Nashville. And for the first 20 years of his career, the amount of studio time barely came to about 90 days.

So, a lot of his recording history is public knowledge and therefore available in detail on excellent sites like this one - [www.bjorner.com] - the hardest stuff from the 60s to keep track of is the Basement Tapes, for the simple fact that they were home recordings.

The amount of Stones material recorded at mobile studios (plus the amount of overdubbing) and the fact that theyve made studio recordings in locations as far apart as the Caribbean and Japan makes it a very difficult recorded history to document exactly.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2012 20:09

alimente
The GR

Those lists included only stereo and mono masters, but no multitrack tapes, not even live recordings. Did they even list Reelin' And Rockin', Key To The Highway, Go On Home Girl or the early take of Mercy Mercy, stuff which appeared seemingly out of nowhere in recent years? I can't remember, have to check it.

This was the thread. thkbeercan was the guy who shared the ABKCO info. with sssoul uploaded it for us.

[www.iorr.org]

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1999
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home