Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

semi ot. cities or places visited when seeing the stones.
Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 21:23

or any other band.

just wondering if people do a lot of sightseeing when in a place for a gig.

and to share experiences and info with other members.

do you just go in, go to the gig and get out or do you factor in sightseeing time and an extra couple of days, and whats peoples favourite cities etc.

heres a list of some of the places ive been stones or not.

barcelona
paris
london
paderborn
taragona
new york
warsaw

those are the main cities abroad.

spent 5 days in warsaw for the stones gig last year, one of the most interesting cities ive ever seen, hidtory, culture, food, museums etc.

Re: semi ot. cities or places visited when seeing the stones.
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 24, 2019 22:56

For UK Cities, I will usually go straight in and out again. I was at all 8 UK shows last year and did day trips for 6 of them. I live 80 miles West of London and see most of my gigs there. Edinburgh is an easy day trip from my original home town of Hamilton so a simple day trip for that one too. I also went to Edinburgh Uni and follow Hearts so I know the City down to street names.

I spent 3 nights in Manchester as I didn't previously know the city at all and loved my time there.

However, gigs abroad get completely different treatment. I always spend at least 3 or 4 nights wherever I go. I can never just go in one day and out the next. I have done a couple of times way back on the BtB tour but not now.

I've seen the Stones 6 times in Paris, twice in Hamburg & Boston (both Licks) and Chorzow, Berlin, Oslo, Stockholm, Barcelona, Dublin, Prague and Warsaw. I've seen the Who, Paul McCartney and REM in Europe too.

I drove to the Stade de France and The Hague in 1998 via the Channel Tunnel on show day and straight back again the next day but wouldn't do it now.

I've been to Warsaw many times since the mid 90s. I have friends there, know the city very well and speak the language a bit hence the user name. It's changed beyond all recognition in that time, much for the better. Love Warsaw.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: April 24, 2019 23:17

I did in and out Stockholm and London on the No filter tour. Flew in the afternoon showday, flew back on the first flight back.

Spent the time between the gig and the flight back in bars.

Both cities ive been a couple times before so i didnt care much about sightseeing.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 24, 2019 23:40

The UK leg last year was my first overseas trip to see the band in their homeland.

Would have been devastated, like a lot of fans for this leg, had the postponement happened then. Certainly would have made the most of the trip, like others are now (and I will be doing in NY in June cool smiley) but, would have been tough to visit all those locations without a Stones concert to center them around.

Loved everything about the leg of the tour I was able to follow, including the time between shows, enabling decent visits in Manchester, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Cardiff, and two different extended breaks in London.
The people were very welcoming, as I'd like to think I am here when I meet fans from other countries.

Have seen them most places in North America that I've wanted, credit Zip Code with places I wouldn't have visited otherwise, but enjoyed very much (Quebec City, Detroit, Buffalo etc). In the US alone (just since 2012), I have been able to see them, multiple times, in 2012, 13, 15, 16, and hopefully again in 2019.
Can't ask for more than that.
The Rolling Stones have helped make a lot of priceless memories for a lot of us.
So much more than a band, they are a way of life!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-24 23:43 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: April 25, 2019 20:41

Turin
Rome
Basel
Zurich
Munich
Frankfurt
Stuttgart
Paris
Nice
Lyon
Barcellona
London
New York
Boston
Miami
Tampa
Tokyo
some towns, more than once. Always had great time, always visited museums, historical sites and surrounding attractions: thank you so much the Rolling Stones

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 25, 2019 20:59

A partial list...

2018 (Ireland, London 1 and 2)
Ireland - Whisky tour, Guinness tour, day trip to Kilkenny
Northern Ireland - Belfast to have a beer, or 2 or 3 with Gazza, all day bus tour of Northern Ireland.
England - Tour of Stonehenge, Bath & Stratford-upon-Avon

2007 (Slane Castle)
Ireland - 4 days exploring the country (loved Dingle!)
England - Casbah Coffee House (Liverpool),various London sites.

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: April 26, 2019 05:46

I won't list the repeats...

Cincinnati '89
Pontiac
Indianapolis
Las Vegas '94
Pasadena
Wembley '95
Chicago '97
Columbus
Buffalo
St. Louis
Toronto '98
Auburn Hills '99
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Detroit '02
T.O. Downsview Park '03
Nashville '15
Kansas City
Raleigh
Coventry '18
Manchester

Other gigs in the same cities... 38 and counting

Loved every minute of it! Big travels or small... worth every penny!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-26 05:50 by TKinOH.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 26, 2019 08:47

In addition to my home turf of L.A. (where I've seen many shows), I've seen the Stones in these cities:

*Anaheim
San Diego
San Jose
Oakland
San Francisco
Indio
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Oklahoma City
Houston

Stockholm
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Utrecht
Nijmegen
London
Glasgow

Some of them multiple times and multiple shows, and yes I've spent time sightseeing in every city except Oakland, and only had a spare afternoon in Houston which was spent eating Texas BBQ.

In some cases, I've branched out to surrounding areas to travel and sight see such as Stockholm '03 where I spent eight days and saw all three shows. Instead of following the Stones to the next few shows,
I took an extensive detour by train all around Norway and Denmark for a couple of weeks. I then rendesvoused with the Stones down in the Netherlands and saw all the shows from there up until Glasgow several weeks later.

I had been to many of these cities prior to seeing the Stones there, and have also lived in or very near a couple of them (such as Guildford, England). For the places I went to for the first time specifically to see the Stones, I might have eventually visited anyways, But no doubt, the Stones and traveling go hand in hand, and have provided many great memories that will last forever.

I've gradually scaled down on the number of Stones shows I attend as the years go by, though still travel extensively wherever and whenever I can.
For this tour, I've settled on three this time around - all of which are within driving distance - L.A. (Pasadena), Glendale, and Santa Clara...I'll be there...if they happen...if not this year then maybe next...

* Considering Anaheim is very close to L.A. not sure if that counts, but spending a day at Disneyland is like traveling to another universe (ha), and is filled with tourists from around the world.
But as the old Disney saying goes: "It's a small world after all...", and indeed it really is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-26 10:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 27, 2019 00:38

October 1973. Final date of the 1973 European Tour, and Mick Taylor's final gig as a member (employee!) of The Stones. Berlin.

This was, of course, 16 years or so before the Berlin Wall came down, and I flew there for the weekend. Very strange place.

My brother, who was working there, took me down to see the Glienicke Bridge and while we were there happened to witness the sort of moment dramatised in the Tom Hanks' film 'Bridge of Spies'. Memorable.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Stones' gig was good - I was standing quite near the front and I've still (somewhere!) got some of the confetti Mick threw into the crowd.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: April 27, 2019 01:12

Hairball
In addition to my home turf of L.A. (where I've seen many shows), I've seen the Stones in these cities:

*Anaheim
San Diego
San Jose
Oakland
San Francisco
Indio
Las Vegas
Phoenix
Oklahoma City
Houston

Stockholm
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Utrecht
Nijmegen
London
Glasgow

Some of them multiple times and multiple shows, and yes I've spent time sightseeing in every city except Oakland, and only had a spare afternoon in Houston which was spent eating Texas BBQ.

In some cases, I've branched out to surrounding areas to travel and sight see such as Stockholm '03 where I spent eight days and saw all three shows. Instead of following the Stones to the next few shows,
I took an extensive detour by train all around Norway and Denmark for a couple of weeks. I then rendesvoused with the Stones down in the Netherlands and saw all the shows from there up until Glasgow several weeks later.

I had been to many of these cities prior to seeing the Stones there, and have also lived in or very near a couple of them (such as Guildford, England). For the places I went to for the first time specifically to see the Stones, I might have eventually visited anyways, But no doubt, the Stones and traveling go hand in hand, and have provided many great memories that will last forever.

I've gradually scaled down on the number of Stones shows I attend as the years go by, though still travel extensively wherever and whenever I can.
For this tour, I've settled on three this time around - all of which are within driving distance - L.A. (Pasadena), Glendale, and Santa Clara...I'll be there...if they happen...if not this year then maybe next...

* Considering Anaheim is very close to L.A. not sure if that counts, but spending a day at Disneyland is like traveling to another universe (ha), and is filled with tourists from around the world.
But as the old Disney saying goes: "It's a small world after all...", and indeed it really is.

Impressive list. I was at the 1st of those Glasgow shows at the SECC. Wild crowd that night! A flying drink just missed Ronnie. I was born about 10 miles away so my home show.

I"be built whole holidays around the Stones before. I did Boston, Foxboro, Berlin & Hamburg on Licks too, with extensive travels built around all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 01:16 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 27, 2019 01:26

Cheers grzegorz67 - maybe we'll meet some day and discuss/reminisce all about our Stones travels. thumbs up

Nice to know you were born so close to SECC - that was one of the coolest venues I've ever been to (was at both shows). Almost like a semi-circle, and very small...sort of between a typical arena and a theater.
I LOVE Scotland as it's part of my heritage (along with English and Dutch), and have been there quite a few times throughout the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 01:28 by Hairball.

Date: April 27, 2019 01:35

Hairball
Cheers grzegorz67 - maybe we'll meet some day and discuss/reminisce all about our Stones travels. thumbs up

Nice to know you were born so close to SECC - that was one of the coolest venues I've ever been to (was at both shows). Almost like a semi-circle, and very small...sort of between a typical arena and a theater.
I LOVE Scotland as it's part of my heritage (along with English and Dutch), and have been there quite a few times throughout the years.

Bellshill. Home town and birthplace of a woman who's lived over your way for decades - Sheena Easton. The Stones played my hometown of Hamilton, Lanarkshire in 1964. It was in a hotel with way too many people in it. It descended into Chaos with Police reinforcements called in from other towns grinning smiley

They haven't been back....

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 27, 2019 10:15

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-27 10:17 by hopkins.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: April 27, 2019 10:16

I visited D.C july 4, '72 From NYC and saw them again when they got to NYC 72.
I lived there up till the Stones with Nicky, Stu, Bobby and Jim Price.

and visited back down to NYC from the state I was living in then in '75,
with Clapton guesting.
and also living in L.A. Steel Wheels show. that's all I've seen them live in person.
Escept for Bill Wyman who really wrote this post, but i'm taking uh, credit for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-04-30 12:10 by hopkins.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home