Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Can anyone date this?
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 31, 2012 10:10

I'm usually pretty good at this sort of thing - researching a project on Getty tonight and stumbled upon these images - they're dated 1975, but like many photo houses, the dates are often wrong (and to me, it's not '75)

Looks like '73 to me - but was a suit like this ever worn? thoughts? I'm stumped.

also - a production still from the Ain't Too Proud video - some nice detail here - the cigs - pepsi - production guy at left - and inflatable sign on the stage (deflated)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 10:22 by hbwriter.

Re: Can anyone date this?
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: January 31, 2012 12:49

hbwriter ,aren't the two Jagger's photos from Jill Furmanovsky , Rainbow Theatre, London 1973 ?

Check this out :

[issuu.com]

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-31 12:57 by SwayStones.

Date: January 31, 2012 13:59

OK,HB,this is definitely a 1973 photo from Jill Furmanovsky.

I checked the threads about 1973 and Diamond Dog had posted the pic & the credits here :

[www.iorr.org]

I really like this suit,BTW .Classy Mick ! smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:11

But what show is that Rainbow show? It's always been rumoured Jagger and Richards sat in with Billy Preston in late '73, and that they did Shine a Light. But to date I have never seen any proof of that.

Mathijs

Date: January 31, 2012 16:27

Mathijs
But what show is that Rainbow show? It's always been rumoured Jagger and Richards sat in with Billy Preston in late '73, and that they did Shine a Light. But to date I have never seen any proof of that.

Mathijs

Now I am confused :why no Stones show showing here :

[rainbowhistory.x10.mx]

Posted by: Vocalion ()
Date: January 31, 2012 16:31

Mathijs

Mathijs

Zentgraf:

1973 25th October: BILLY PRESTON. London, Rainbow Theatre. Incl. (both unverified)
- Shine A Light (MJ/KR)
- Will The Circle Be Unbroken (Trad.)
Line-up: MJ (voc)/MT (gtr)/Billy Preston (voc, keyb)/Huby Heard (keyb)/
Kenny Lupper (keyb)/Manuel Kellough (dr)

Date: January 31, 2012 16:56

i like where this is headed smiling smiley

Date: January 31, 2012 17:14

so is it not from a Stones show?

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 31, 2012 18:19

SwayStones
Mathijs

Mathijs

Now I am confused :why no Stones show showing here :

[rainbowhistory.x10.mx]

They only stone that played the Rainbow in '73 was a blunstone grinning smiley

Date: January 31, 2012 18:31

Vocalion
Mathijs

Mathijs

Zentgraf:

1973 25th October: BILLY PRESTON. London, Rainbow Theatre. Incl. (both unverified)
- Shine A Light (MJ/KR)

OK, the date "fits" with the link I posted above :

25th October Billy Preston, with guest Mick Jagger
[rainbowhistory.x10.mx]

Date: January 31, 2012 18:35

hbwriter

Well, not one I recognise at least. It doesn't look like any 1975 show I have seen, His hair and make-up look like 1973, but I have never seen Jagger's outfit. It could very well be the Billy Preston show...

Mathijs

Date: January 31, 2012 18:41

SwayStones
Vocalion
Mathijs

Mathijs

Zentgraf:

- Shine A Light (MJ/KR)

OK, the date "fits" with the link I posted above :

25th October Billy Preston, with guest Mick Jagger
[rainbowhistory.x10.mx]

cool- a sort of "mystery" show

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: February 1, 2012 15:16

yes..very cool...thanks for the pics and the possible answer!
very interesting !!

Date: February 1, 2012 16:37

The photo of Keith looks to be from the Ain't Too Proud To Beg video shoot in '74. Jagger has the horrible clown outfit going.

Date: February 1, 2012 17:04

withaheadfullofsnow
The photo of Keith looks to be from the Ain't Too Proud To Beg video shoot in '74. Jagger has the horrible clown outfit going.

yeah - as it says - that one is a production still - the others are the ones in question

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 1, 2012 17:05

Nice to get this thing dated. Thanks. I always wondered when those Jagger photos was taken, but didn't bother to ask. I could see it was from late 1973 - but that was all

no credits - photoshopped by me

Date: February 1, 2012 17:12

and *late* 73 given the hair length - the 10/25 date, hair-wise, makes sense smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-02-01 19:10 by hbwriter.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2012 17:36

hbwriter

No. I already said that in the other thread. I still remember that Preston solo gig.
Preston tried to make something out of his Stones tour fame. He'd got really good reviews on the tour. Some said his part was better than the Stones'.So he did a solo gig in London after 73 tour. Both Micks were present. No Keith on stage.

Date: February 6, 2012 18:38

thanks, cousin - very interesting

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:51

Mick and Keith didn't show up on stage for Billy's Rainbow date in 73. Mick Taylor was the only Stone who played that show and wore that ridiculous afro wig. After the autumn 73 European tour the Stones didn't play together again until making the promos for It's Only Rock'n'Roll.

And as hb writes, the hair length is longer than the 73 tour but shorter than the 75 tour. So yeah, 74 promo shoots.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: February 6, 2012 18:56

Of course Mick J. was onstage for one song. Know that for shure.
But could it be there were 2 gigs?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:21

CousinC
Of course Mick J. was onstage for one song. Know that for shure.
But could it be there were 2 gigs?

Whoops. Yes, he was. A mate went and as far as I know there was only one show. I don't think Billy could have sold out two nights.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: February 6, 2012 19:24

My first impression when I saw the pics is that it is a video clip footage (kind of top of the pops)

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: February 6, 2012 20:17

Silver Dagger
Mick and Keith didn't show up on stage for Billy's Rainbow date in 73. Mick Taylor was the only Stone who played that show and wore that ridiculous afro wig. After the autumn 73 European tour the Stones didn't play together again until making the promos for It's Only Rock'n'Roll.

And as hb writes, the hair length is longer than the 73 tour but shorter than the 75 tour. So yeah, 74 promo shoots.

Taylor wore the afro when he did some shows with Preston as the opener for the Stones on the '73 tour. Taylor did not play on the Rainbow gig, only Jagger did.

Mathijs

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 25, 2017 07:44

Still trying to find info on this legendary show and wondering if anyone might have old Melody Maker issues in their vaults (or attic or garage). The article only seems to be available at the RocksBackPages site, but at $90 for a 3 month subscription, my interest can't overcome my wallet's limitations.

Billy Preston: Rainbow Theatre, London

Chris Welch, Melody Maker, 3 November 1973

AFTER A shaky start, Billy Preston tore London's Rainbow Theatre apart on Thursday last week, with a little help from his friends.

Total word count of piece: 475

Edit-Ok, I've got a librarian friend of mine on it. We'll have it by Monday, close of business at the latest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-25 08:14 by shawnriffhard1.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: February 25, 2017 08:27

Erik_Snow
Nice to get this thing dated. Thanks. I always wondered when those Jagger photos was taken, but didn't bother to ask. I could see it was from late 1973 - but that was all

As stated earlier: Rainbow Theatre, London 1973, by Jill Furmanovsky.

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: February 25, 2017 09:18

Erik_Snow

Make-up is the same as 1973 tour!

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: February 25, 2017 10:05

mighty stork

As stated earlier: Rainbow Theatre, London 1973, by Jill Furmanovsky.

Yes, but I'm trying to find as much accurate info on this show as possible; it just happens to be the thread title that came up when I googled it. I have also messaged Chris Charlesworth, Chris Welch and Billy's drummer, Manny Kellough to see if they have any thoughts, but whether they'll respond, I don't know. Regardless, I'll at least get the Melody Maker article to share here.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: February 25, 2017 16:56

"Jill Furmanovsky recalls 'Mick Jagger making a guest appearance with Billy Preston at the Rainbow Theatre. He wore blue eye-shadow and a white suit and he stole the show.'"

[www.rockarchive.com]

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: February 27, 2017 17:34

Per the citation from shawnriffhard1, here is the Melody Maker article (source: Rock's Backpages database).

Harold [another librarian]

Billy Preston: Rainbow Theatre, London

Chris Welch, Melody Maker, 3 November 1973

AFTER A shaky start, Billy Preston tore London's Rainbow Theatre apart on Thursday last week, with a little help from his friends.

Mick Jagger made a welcome, surprise appearance, joining fellow Stone Mick Taylor, who had been working with Billy's backing group. From then on the house went wild, fans dancing in the aisles and cheering.

When Billy came out in a dazzling dark gold suit, after a half-hour delay, the atmosphere was instantly electric. Dry ice shimmered across the stage and Preston stomped off on 'Day Tripper'. Each member of the band seemed to sport a giant Afro hairstyle, and as Billy yelled, "Let's have a good time y'all," a prickling sensation crept up my left leg. But it was neither fleas, cats nor burning cigarette ends. The thrill of soul had entered my being. The combination of electric piano, organ and grand piano produced a swinging, jumping, sound impossible to resist.

The only problem was that Billy seemed to be trying just a little too hard to get the audience bopping before they had naturally warmed up. We cold-blooded Europeans need more subtle inducements before we will cast convention aside and jive in the aisles. Personally I wish folk would refrain from such activity. When finally a woman with a large bottom leapt to her feet and began waggling it in my face, my reaction was to wish her elsewhere.

In his desire to be an all-round entertainer, Billy also indulged in some syrupy gospel of the "thank the good Lord for my talent" variety, which was discomforting, and a country and western tune which was awful. But when Billy played what he does best, the blues and soul, it was gas. He is an extrovert keyboard player, a fine singer and a knock-out dancer. It would be a shame if he tried to do a Ray Charles and spread his talent over too wide a field.

Mick Taylor, in dark jeans and platform shoes, stood quietly in the background, playing beautiful guitar, and we could have done with more from Mick. But he had his chance to shine in some hollering blues calls between the guitar and Billy's organ (the most exciting ever — remember?).

The music raged non-stop, but it wasn't until Jagger strode on stage in a handsome white suit and joined Billy on a couple of gospel numbers that the audience really took off. Mick sang really well on 'Will A Circle Be Unbroken', and his star presence brought smiles all round.

When Billy returned to the fore, he seemed much more relaxed and the flow of music was alive with spontaneity. Unfortunately the lady with the large bottom successfully blocked any further view of the stage as she jived inexpertly, inches from my nostrils, but agency reports pieced together after the battle hinted at a major Preston victory.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-02-27 17:37 by stoneslib.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home