Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: John Lennon - Slating Mick - hadnt heard this clip before
Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 3, 2012 00:19

Lennon got a pass for his vicious tongue.

Time ran out on him before could make it all right

He use to say he wanted to be a 90 year old guru

Lennon the walking contradiction.

Peace

Posted by: M4000D ()
Date: February 3, 2012 00:22

They say that those who seek peace are the ones with the violent past.

Just don't ask Me who said that.

Cheers

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 3, 2012 01:52

GravityBoy

1:20

Pricless beyond priceless.

That was jarring.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 3, 2012 03:01

Hilarious! Chuck gets that look in his eye, "What the hell! Did someone step on a cat?" Very ragged performance too... Chuck seems to really be into Lennon. Interesting how Keith and John were such huge fans of Chuck, but sounds like Chuck and Keith's relationship was a bit more difficult.
Lennon was a bastard. Friends, family, and even himself acknowledges it. And that in a way is why he is such a complex and compelling character. He knew his faults and was in a way trying to exercise his demons in public. Which is perhaps why he dropped out of the public for five years, so he could focus on rebuilding himself and his family. But also, Lennon was very apathetic and lazy at times too. He had a huge creative streak up to the White album, but then it became a chore, and he was never one to spend a lot of time on songs. He wanted to rush through stuff and just get it done. That is why McCartney was a good foil for him, but also why he tired of McCartney's work ethic and tendency to boss everyone around. Lennon's solo work was not that prolific, but quite enjoyable. John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band is a pure work of genius. A hard hitting and straight forward deconstruction of his life, being slowly built back up to where he was now free. I really have a soft spot for Lennon and enjoyed all his solo stuff, even Sometime in NYC. There are some great moments on that record, and some dismal ones as well. Mind Games for me is an unsung under appreciated record with some great stuff on it and a great band. And Walls and Bridges is a down and dirty NYC street rock album. And strangely one of my least listened to and liked is Double Fantasy. Just too darn slick, I much prefer all the acoustic demos from it, and the stripped version that was recently released.
Anyhow. Lennon was without a doubt a very intelligent and deep thinker, and at times it paralyzed him. . . and I can see where Mick was very enamored with him, as they were very similar in many ways. Strong alpha males, well read, and incredibly talented, yet flawed individuals.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: February 7, 2012 09:17

Lennon was the biggest personality and artist in the 60ies Pop-world and Chuck felt and knowed that...it's easy to see...otherwise he wouldn't have accepted a guy bring his wife to the stage...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: howled ()
Date: February 7, 2012 09:47

GravityBoy

Man, Yoko's Chicken Strangling wailing fits like a glove.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: February 7, 2012 13:42

treaclefingers
GravityBoy

That was jarring.

Im all for her solocareer and art in general and this is amuzing but also embarrassing. She looks mental.

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: April 11, 2012 09:37

Special Butcher (cough) I mean guest John Lennon, the Stones always did Berry covers 100 times better than the Beatles. FACT!

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Date: April 11, 2012 09:46

How can musical taste be a fact? It is an opinion. The Stones did a lot of great Berry covers, and so did The Beatles. And interestingly, they seemed to not release a cover of a Berry song that the other group did, until The Beatles at the BEEB was released. Which was well after their breakup.

Date: April 11, 2012 10:08

How important is covers? If I'd like to listen to Berry-songs I prefer Chucks recordings...no-one comes even close to his own version of for example 'Sweet little sixteen' or 'Johnny B.Goode'...btw did you know Berry himself covered Route 66?

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Nasty Habits ()
Date: April 11, 2012 10:24

Come On
How important is covers? If I'd like to listen to Berry-songs I prefer Chucks recordings...no-one comes even close to his own version of for example 'Sweet little sixteen' or 'Johnny B.Goode'...btw did you know Berry himself covered Route 66?

I totally agree can't beat Chuck's originals. But I'd say the next best thing to Chuck doing one of his songs is the Stones. I knew that he covered Route 66 I have it somewhere, just about everyone has covered Route 66 it's one of the most covered songs of all time.

"I've got nasty habits I take tea at three"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 11, 2012 11:14

Date: April 11, 2012 11:49

...Route 66 it's one of the most covered songs of all time.

...and The one that's most covered is probably McCartneys Yesterday....and for 'rockers' I have at least 50 versions of Money, of course also with both Beatles and early Stones....

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 11, 2012 14:39

Nasty Habits
Special Butcher (cough) I mean guest John Lennon, the Stones always did Berry covers 100 times better than the Beatles. FACT!

If, as you said in another thread, you didn't come here to talk about the Beatles, why do you keep digging up old Beatles threads and bumping them?

Date: April 11, 2012 17:04

I guess it is one of his nasty habits. "dandruff is the first sign of madness..." Dr. Winston O' Boogie.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: April 12, 2012 03:22

Oh come on Imagine is a great song no matter how naive and hypocryticle it is. I mean John Lennon a man who had a 235 million dollar estate at the time of his unfortunate death trying to sing about no posessions is a joke it is still a fantastic song.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: April 12, 2012 04:43

It's easy to give Lennon's provocative statements about any number of things a little more emphasis or merit than they actually deserve. He spouted off without much of a filter, which can be endearing in a way. Don't forget also that this guy was shot dead at the young, young age of 40, which means the vast majority of his statements were issued when he was, well still processin' and, yes, a bit naive. (This particular interview was late in the game, but you can STILL hear the respect for Mick and Stones in between the cutting lines where he is lashing out at them.) I hear a guy just spoutin' off about a friend, more than I hear a real animosity.

Anyway, I just finished Geoff Emerick's book on his time as the Beatles recording engineer. Although it's not explicitly stated in the book, the one thing that was reinforced for me was this: John Lennon would've LOVED being a Rolling Stone. They played the type of rock he loved, and he loved also their R n R attitude, and felt a bit hemmed in by the Epstein-influenced mop top crap. And after Epstein died, he HATED what he called Paul's "granny music." (When I'm Sixty-Four; Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da. etc.) He loved Honky Tonk Women and Jumpin'Jack Flash and all that good ole rock and roll that Stones were delivering.

The "fag dancing" comment snark in this clip is sort of funny given Lennon's very real affection for Epstein (although despite what some would want to advance, I think it was actually platonic).

Date: April 12, 2012 12:46

Ill say it again: the first solo album is one of the or the best solo rock album ever. Pure genius.

Imagine is crap compared to the first one.

Date: April 12, 2012 14:45

Imagine is crap compared to the first one.

So songs like 'Gimme some truth' and 'I don't want to be a soldier' and 'Crippled inside' is crap....confused smiley

'Gimme some truth' is one of the roughest rock-songs I know about, and I know of a couple of really rough ones....

smoking smileycool smileysmiling smileytongue sticking out smiley
John Paul George Ringo

2 1 2 0

Date: April 12, 2012 14:59

Imagine isn't crap! That is crazy. It is a beautiful album with some great performances on it. Yes, Come on, I agree, Gimme Some Truth is a great song! Fantastic scorching slide. And then there is the wonderfully nasty How Do You Sleep, with an incredible Lennon vocal on it. His voice was one of the best rock voices ever, and he is singing his heart out on the album. And don't forget Jealous Guy! Another gem. His Maybe I'm Amazed.

Date: April 12, 2012 15:34

His Maybe I'm Amazed.

yep, something for Faces to take a grip on....

2 1 2 0

Date: April 12, 2012 15:38

I know the album isnt really crap but compared to the first one. And I think it's really overrated while the first one is, not underrated, but somehow in the shade.

Date: April 12, 2012 15:40

Rolling Stone Underrated Lennon

My point:

"Hold On," John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, 1970
Even as he swore "I don't believe in Beatles," on his solo debut, Lennon drew from that body of brilliance, as a bridge into the record's raw confessions. This brief diamond opens with a melancholy run on tremolo guitar, echoing the R&B sigh of "Don't Let Me Down," his '69 B-side to "Get Back." The lyrics are a simple prescription, sung with comforting poise – a rare moment of assurance on a record wracked with pain and self-discovery.

"Remember," John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, 1970
Lennon charged back to the dashed ideals of childhood and abandonment by his father ("Remember how the man/Used to leave you empty handed/Always, always let you down") with stark fistfuls of Little Richard-like piano across Ringo Starr's strident beat. The cryptic reference at the end to "the 5th of November" – the British holiday Guy Fawkes Day – with an A-bomb-like explosion was Lennon having a last laugh: recalling a teenage prank involving his Quarrymen pal Pete Shotton and a bonfire that got out of control.

"Isolation," John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band, 1970
Amid the blunt pronoucements about maternal need, renounced faith and eternal love for his wife and creative partner, Yoko Ono, unleashed by the couple's experiences in primal-scream therapy, "Isolation" was Lennon at his most afraid, confronting his post-Beatle freedom with paranoia and insecurity. It's "Help" without the electric-guitar chime, stripped to the barest piano gestures and, right before the bridge, a silence broken only by Ringo Starr's kick-drum thump, sounding like the loudest heartbeat in the world.

Date: April 12, 2012 15:42

Date: April 12, 2012 15:55

TippyToe

Hilarious. Great. Luckily nowadays no musician is so pretentious (except for Bono...I think).

Stones may have a lot of faults, shortomings, but they have never tried to be a reference in fields such a politics, philosphy, moral and so on or intellectually relevant.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 12, 2012 16:12

Redhotcarpet
Ill say it again: the first solo album is one of the or the best solo rock album ever. Pure genius.

It is very ace!

Date: April 12, 2012 16:14

mmmmm...there's funny people here there and everywhere...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 12, 2012 17:02

Yeah, John Lennon Plastic Ono Band is a brilliant piece of work. And probably the best solo Beatle album made. It is a hard hitting, visceral, and at times gentle beautiful reflection on the human condition. Lennon pulls no punches with writing, singing, and guitar playing. He howls and sings his pain and anguish. It is truly brilliant and beautiful.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 12, 2012 17:17

I've been digging Double Fantasy a lot lately. Both John and Yoko's tunes.

Date: April 12, 2012 17:28

whitem8
Yeah, John Lennon Plastic Ono Band is a brilliant piece of work. And probably the best solo Beatle album made.

Without a doubt the best one. Way over the others all Mop Tops included.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1570
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home