Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Remember this Stones opening act? Some video I shot for you
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: January 30, 2012 18:39

The great blues artist, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, was picked by the Stones to open shows in 1999 - I saw him at he NAMM show recently and we talked about it - he told me he got his first recording contract courtesy of Keith's tech, Pierre de Beauport, and that's how he wound up on the tour.

He hung out with Keith and Ronnie a lot, he said, and that they acted like "older brothers" to him - and he never forgot the opportunity the band gave him to play before so many people - today, he's one of the world's most celebrated blues players - just for you IORRians, I asked if he could play a few licks that I could post here exclusively - here ya go

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 18:52 by hbwriter.

Re: Remember this Stones opener?
Posted by: HighwireC ()
Date: January 30, 2012 18:47

Re: Remember this Stones opening act?
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 30, 2012 18:49

Forget Kenny Wayne Sheppard, Philip Sayce is the real deal.

Date: January 30, 2012 18:50

Philip Sayce is great - but *forget* Kenny Wayne? Come on...

Date: January 30, 2012 18:55

Sorry, I've known Philip from his early days here in Toronto, so I'm a little biased and bitter smiling smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 30, 2012 18:55

after srv died...there was this outpouring of srv wannabe's...some of them lasted awhile, others not so much...kws and jonny lang are among the few that survived the initial hoopla and have managed to break themselves away from the title of the "next srv." but neither have had anything close to the impact stevie did...

Date: January 30, 2012 18:56

GumbootCloggeroo
Sorry, I've known Philip from his early days here in Toronto, so I'm a little biased and bitter smiling smiley

gotcha - and i agree- the guy is a MONSTER

Re: Remember this Stones opening act? Some video I shot for you
Date: January 30, 2012 19:03

A monster, indeed. I'm really proud of him though, he's really come a long way. It blows my mind to see him go from being a nervous guitarist playing in a small blues club to having young kids on youtube covering his songs. Maybe he'll get more recognition in the future. I hope so, he deserves it. He's a super nice guy. He seems to be more popular in Europe than in North America. I hope you get to interview him one day!

Posted by: JF ()
Date: January 30, 2012 19:06

Out of all the new Strat "kings", I'd still say Doyle Bramhall II does it best - a perfect amount of originality mixed with the SRV/Hendrix/Albert King without sounding like another copycat. KWS now has Chris Layton on drums for him, so that can't really help him shake off the SRV thing...

Date: January 30, 2012 19:08

StonesTod
after srv died...there was this outpouring of srv wannabe's...some of them lasted awhile, others not so much...kws and jonny lang are among the few that survived the initial hoopla and have managed to break themselves away from the title of the "next srv." but neither have had anything close to the impact stevie did...
KWS and Jonny Lang are definitely inspired by SRV but I think John Mayer shows it the most. Great guitarist. But yes, there will never be another SRV.

Date: January 30, 2012 19:08

GumbootCloggeroo
A monster, indeed. I'm really proud of him though, he's really come a long way. It blows my mind to see him go from being a nervous guitarist playing in a small blues club to having young kids on youtube covering his songs. Maybe he'll get more recognition in the future. I hope so, he deserves it. He's a super nice guy. He seems to be more popular in Europe than in North America. I hope you get to interview him one day!

Gum--that does it - i'm pitching a story on him - thank you for the nudge - will keep you posted - this guy deserves way more awareness - i've seen him just once but i will never forget it - jaw-dropping

Date: January 30, 2012 19:09

JF
Out of all the new Strat "kings", I'd still say Doyle Bramhall II does it best - a perfect amount of originality mixed with the SRV/Hendrix/Albert King without sounding like another copycat. KWS now has Chris Layton on drums for him, so that can't really help him shake off the SRV thing...

dbII has a lotta soul...don't think his chops match up well with some of the others, though. but he was a great foil for clapton on tour. and i love his dad's work...coupla great discs that i play often

Date: January 30, 2012 19:11

and by the by, you can walk into a half-dozen bars on 6th street in austin any night of the year and see guys with easily as much talent on guitar as kws, dbii or jonny lang....

Date: January 30, 2012 19:12

i bet you can - just the luck of the draw sometimes, timing, luck, whatever

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 30, 2012 19:12

StonesTod
yeah,they actually lived. never does have quite the same as effect as dying. maybe they should try harder.

Date: January 30, 2012 19:14

Yeah, DBII is more about note choice, and soul than being a true in-yer-face guitar hero. He can do it though...just check out the Arc Angels footage from the early 90s.
As a Strat player myself, I've always given the SRV thing a wide berth, but when you hear the real thing, it's easy to understand why so many folks copied him.
Anyway, I'm becoming more and more devoted to my Tele thanks to a certain someone...

Date: January 30, 2012 19:14

hbwriter
i bet you can - just the luck of the draw sometimes, timing, luck, whatever

i don't see them complaining....srv left a very long shadow on the blues scene...especially here...the statue to him here demonstrates that very cleverly....

Date: January 30, 2012 19:15

JF
Yeah, DBII is more about note choice, and soul than being a true in-yer-face guitar hero. He can do it though...just check out the Arc Angels footage from the early 90s.
As a Strat player myself, I've always given the SRV thing a wide berth, but when you hear the real thing, it's easy to understand why so many folks copied him.
Anyway, I'm becoming more and more devoted to my Tele thanks to a certain someone...

arc angels were great - had a little reunion here fairly recently...

Date: January 30, 2012 19:17

StonesTod

Saw them back in 2009 supporting Clapton...Doyle was on fire, Charlie Sexton, on the other hand, came across as having a bit of an attitude problem, as if he felt he shouldn't be supporting Clapton. It's a hard life sometimes!

Date: January 30, 2012 19:17

(by the way - this little blues breakout discussion that is happening is thoroughly enjoyable to follow)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-30 19:20 by hbwriter.

Date: January 30, 2012 19:21

hbwriter
GumbootCloggeroo

Gum--that does it - i'm pitching a story on him - thank you for the nudge - will keep you posted - this guy deserves way more awareness - i've seen him just once but i will never forget it - jaw-dropping
That's awesome!!! You can find him on facebook, [www.facebook.com], or his website, www.philipsayce.com. He does a pretty good job at responding to his fans. If you feel like it, you can tell him you're an online friend of Matti's son Markus from Toronto smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2012 19:24

GumbootCloggeroo
hbwriter
GumbootCloggeroo

That's awesome!!! You can find him on facebook, [www.facebook.com], or his website, www.philipsayce.com. He does a pretty good job at responding to his fans. If you feel like it, you can tell him you're an online friend of Matti's son Markus from Toronto smiling smiley

cool- i've written him once to try and set something up - right after i saw him - but he'd hopped off to europe - i will pursue

Date: January 30, 2012 19:25

JF
StonesTod

Saw them back in 2009 supporting Clapton...Doyle was on fire, Charlie Sexton, on the other hand, came across as having a bit of an attitude problem, as if he felt he shouldn't be supporting Clapton. It's a hard life sometimes!

charlie's just there for the ladies to gawk at

Date: January 30, 2012 21:40

smiling smiley

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 30, 2012 21:59

Hey HB, if you do a story on Kenny Wayne, I have a little something I can share with you to do with his appearances in tribute to Hendrix. Let me know your email.

Date: January 30, 2012 22:14

stonesrule
Hey HB, if you do a story on Kenny Wayne, I have a little something I can share with you to do with his appearances in tribute to Hendrix. Let me know your email.

will do - if you look at my author's site (chrisepting.com) you can shoot me a note directly off there, ok?)

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: January 31, 2012 01:11

i'll take doyle bramhall . does'nt overplay, great tone. good note choice!arc angels great band.

Posted by: onestep ()
Date: January 31, 2012 03:10

That was an awesome treat. Thank you. I remember seeing quite a few No Security shows, and never missed the young man's blues. He really was very young at the time....and was a total professional, he lost his soul in those notes, and it came through to the audience.

:-)

Date: January 31, 2012 09:27

very nice note, thanks, onestep

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home