Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Elliott Smith - NEW
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 29, 2012 00:09

Man I love this guy. He was humble and amazingly creative and talented. I'm glad I got to see him play live before he tragically took his own life. I was blown away by the great songs he and his band played at the Fillmore in San Francisco around 1999. Some say he is an aquired taste, maybe so but he just keeps getting deeper and deeper into my heart as time goes by.

I play a couple of his tunes during my set, this is one of them, Independence Day. RIP Elliott you were a bright light on a dim planet. peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 02:50 by Naturalust.

Re: OT: Elliott Smith
Date: January 29, 2012 00:56

confused smiley I guess I'm all alone on this one? sad smiley peace

Re: OT: Elliott Smith
Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:26

Gotta give him a more thorough listen.I did listen to some of his tunes ages ago and I found them quite favourable but somehow I never truly delved into his catalog.

Re: OT: Elliott Smith - NEW
Date: January 29, 2012 02:43

stones_serb
Gotta give him a more thorough listen.I did listen to some of his tunes ages ago and I found them quite favourable but somehow I never truly delved into his catalog.

Its worth the trip, he can change you if ya give him half a chance. Here's another one , mellow as it gets but poingnant. It's called Twilight.

peace

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-15 20:02 by Naturalust.

Posted by: RomanCandle ()
Date: March 15, 2015 17:55

I've just relistened to Either/Or and the following album. The difference between these albums and the Heatmiser days is quite funny. Very melancholic stuff. IMO he wasn't a great lyricist but the music speaks for itself. Seems like James Blackshaw was influenced by him. XO and Figure 8 are more catchy, almost "beatlesque".

Alphabet Town
video: [m.youtube.com]

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2015 18:06

I just read he killed himself cause he couldn't shake off his H addiction.

That's too bad, he should have adopted the "Keef Richards" pov about hard drugs, aka "what me worry?".

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 15, 2015 18:51

I love him too. I go through phases of listening to him, but them I have to stop because there is so much sadness in his music.

Date: March 15, 2015 19:26

I love the vocals on this one:

Date: March 15, 2015 20:24

dcba
I just read he killed himself cause he couldn't shake off his H addiction.

That's too bad, he should have adopted the "Keef Richards" pov about hard drugs, aka "what me worry?".

Not sure why he killed himself, but I believe the toxicology reports after his death showed no drugs in him system. He suffered with depression and was fighting with his girlfriend that tragic day. Some of his songs allude to a deep dark place where his mind obviously went on occasion.

He was a hugely sensitive guy, a total anti-rock star persona and a super talented singer, songwriter and guitar player.

His lyric from Waltz#2 kinda sums up my feelings for him:

I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow

peace

Date: March 15, 2015 20:46

As good an artist as he was, he was a very difficult person. He had been threatening to kill himself for years, wearing out all those friends who supported him. Just a very unhappy person who eventually succembed to heroin, in a way that was a fairly predictable trajectory. Some late perfromances are painful to watch. But he was a brilliant writer and his arrangements have a lot of Beatle-esque influences. I think From A Basement On A Hill, released posthumously - is a great record, even if it's claimed it's not the record he would have released.

Date: March 15, 2015 21:18

I don't get why he is so overlooked. I mean, he has critical recognition and he is quite popular in the indie rock sphere but he wrote SUPER STRONG melodies FFS! You just have to listen to "Sweet Adeline" to understand why he should be as popular as Paul McCartney.

Date: March 15, 2015 21:57

71Tele
I think From A Basement On A Hill, released posthumously - is a great record, even if it's claimed it's not the record he would have released.

thumbs up Probably my favorite record by him. Not a bad song on it. I think he would have released it but just developed a few more layered instruments and vocals on some of the tunes. It's stark beauty and lyrical honesty is unimpeachable; but like you said, it's sadness can be overwhelming, especially in retrospect.

If you like From a Basement on a Hill, check out Chris Whitley's Dirt Floor record for another one that works for it's great songs and simple but genuine delivery. Another tragic story and a superb talent gone too soon. Here's a sample:

peace

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 15, 2015 21:59

Love his work. He stands alongside Alex Chilton for me.

Date: March 15, 2015 22:32

IMO his best album is his debut album "Roman Candle". This album is so... "pure" And this f-ucking great electric guitar line on the song 'Roman Candle'... jeez! Love his guitar playing because it ALWAYS serves the song. I found out that he wrote "Condor Ave" when he was 16 or 17.

To be honest I never listen to "From a basement". "A passing feeling" and "A Fond Farewell" are both excellent songs though. From his first albums I also love the Alphabet Town harmonica and the vocal harmonies of St. Ides Heaven.

Date: March 15, 2015 23:30

Love his playing at 2:22, this may be one of my favourite songs ever. His most "confident" vocals.

Date: March 15, 2015 23:33

TeddyB1018

Good observation, but Chilton was way more inconsistent, quality-wise.

Date: March 15, 2015 23:40

Date: March 15, 2015 23:45

My current favorite by Smith.

Date: March 15, 2015 23:50

TeddyB1018

Indeed. Even Elliot mentions that his singing was like Alex Chilton around 19:00 in this interview. I'm guessing he was an influence.

peace

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 16, 2015 07:15

71Tele
TeddyB1018

Good observation, but Chilton was way more inconsistent, quality-wise.

Yes, very true. But voice and guitar and (sometimes) songwriting.

Date: March 16, 2015 07:54

Anyone knows this guy?

Posted by: keefgotsoul ()
Date: March 16, 2015 08:16

Here's a video of Elliott playing bass covering Paint it Black with the band Quasi. That's Janet from Sleater Kinney on drums.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 08:17 by keefgotsoul.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 16, 2015 10:20

I loved Elliott Smith. Like Tele, I have to pace myself. Can't drink too deeply, for too long, from that particular well. But love him so.

He was difficult, and he was depressive, but he was also hilarious, according to people who knew him, and you can see/hear it in interviews.

I met him on my birthday, February 20, 2000, in Washington DC, after a gig at the Black Cat. (whole show streaming free here)

It was an intimate show, a very warm crowd. He was straight, and nervous. He made lots of jokey comments and asides, and interacted with us.

Afterward, he just sort of hovered, shuffled from foot to foot, and looked awkward. I went up to the stage, which was pretty low anyway, to see how he was doing. He sat down on the side of the stage.

I'd loved him from the time I saw him on the Oscars--homely, pock-marked, wearing a funny rumpled suit, singing "Miss Misery" - I couldn't even believe I was seeing this on the star-studded awards show, this completely unpretentious guy, seemingly befuddled by the blue lights and Hollywood, and became a fan.

So back in DC. My apartment was close to the club and had a roofdeck, gardens, trees, pool, heatlamps for winter, and sometimes I had people from bands join my friends and me there--especially performers who were clean/sober (like me), since after-hour options often are either lame or pretty seamy. I knew I would be too shy to ask him over (not in "that" way, but to hang), but wanted to say hi and how much I enjoyed the show, and appreciated him playing "Independence Day" (you can hear me call it out at the 30-second mark on track 9 before he started playing "St Ides Heaven" ).

No one else was approaching him at first, so we just chatted. I told him hearing him perform on my birthday was a huge treat--especially Independence Day. He said "Awww, I kinda @#$%& it up. I haven't played it in a while. All those bar chords." I said it was gorgeous. He honestly said "You think so?" I said, "Yeah. I could tell you were hesitating a couple of times but you didn't falter--it sounded great to us, however it sounded to you." "Wow...yeah...thanks for saying that. I always think I suck." I told him I was sober and heard he was clean right then. He said "Yeah...it's weird," or something like that. And right then it was like some magic words had been uttered and every creep, cretin, and low-life started descending on him, offering him smack! Like holding out little "packages." He was so passive, like "Oh...ummmm, hey thanks, but uh...naw, umm..." I was furious! "@#$%& off." "What are you doing?!" "He's clean @#$%&." And swatted them away like mosquitoes. "Whoa!!" I said to him. "Yeah," he said, grinning, "occupational hazard, I guess." We talked a little while more. Don't remember what else was said, but he was funny and reminded me of many of my favorite people. As my friends and I were leaving, Elliott had gotten up from the side of the stage, and was hovering again, and some creepy sidewinder called him over and I saw Elliott take a little packet from him.

Anyway, thanks for posting -- someone I love a lot died yesterday, and a little dip into Elliott Smith has the right poignancy.

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-16 10:22 by swiss.

Date: March 16, 2015 15:24

swiss
I loved Elliott Smith. Like Tele, I have to pace myself. Can't drink too deeply, for too long, from that particular well. But love him so.

He was difficult, and he was depressive, but he was also hilarious, according to people who knew him, and you can see/hear it in interviews.

I met him on my birthday, February 20, 2000, in Washington DC, after a gig at the Black Cat. (whole show streaming free here)

It was an intimate show, a very warm crowd. He was straight, and nervous. He made lots of jokey comments and asides, and interacted with us.

Afterward, he just sort of hovered, shuffled from foot to foot, and looked awkward. I went up to the stage, which was pretty low anyway, to see how he was doing. He sat down on the side of the stage.

I'd loved him from the time I saw him on the Oscars--homely, pock-marked, wearing a funny rumpled suit, singing "Miss Misery" - I couldn't even believe I was seeing this on the star-studded awards show, this completely unpretentious guy, seemingly befuddled by the blue lights and Hollywood, and became a fan.

So back in DC. My apartment was close to the club and had a roofdeck, gardens, trees, pool, heatlamps for winter, and sometimes I had people from bands join my friends and me there--especially performers who were clean/sober (like me), since after-hour options often are either lame or pretty seamy. I knew I would be too shy to ask him over (not in "that" way, but to hang), but wanted to say hi and how much I enjoyed the show, and appreciated him playing "Independence Day" (you can hear me call it out at the 30-second mark on track 9 before he started playing "St Ides Heaven" ).

No one else was approaching him at first, so we just chatted. I told him hearing him perform on my birthday was a huge treat--especially Independence Day. He said "Awww, I kinda @#$%& it up. I haven't played it in a while. All those bar chords." I said it was gorgeous. He honestly said "You think so?" I said, "Yeah. I could tell you were hesitating a couple of times but you didn't falter--it sounded great to us, however it sounded to you." "Wow...yeah...thanks for saying that. I always think I suck." I told him I was sober and heard he was clean right then. He said "Yeah...it's weird," or something like that. And right then it was like some magic words had been uttered and every creep, cretin, and low-life started descending on him, offering him smack! Like holding out little "packages." He was so passive, like "Oh...ummmm, hey thanks, but uh...naw, umm..." I was furious! "@#$%& off." "What are you doing?!" "He's clean @#$%&." And swatted them away like mosquitoes. "Whoa!!" I said to him. "Yeah," he said, grinning, "occupational hazard, I guess." We talked a little while more. Don't remember what else was said, but he was funny and reminded me of many of my favorite people. As my friends and I were leaving, Elliott had gotten up from the side of the stage, and was hovering again, and some creepy sidewinder called him over and I saw Elliott take a little packet from him.

Anyway, thanks for posting -- someone I love a lot died yesterday, and a little dip into Elliott Smith has the right poignancy.

-swiss

drinking smiley

Date: March 16, 2015 18:33

Great story swiss, thanks for sharing that. Love that you requested Independence Day! Sorry for you loss, sending love and light your way today.

peace

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 16, 2015 19:51

His autopsy left open the possibility of a homicide, and the case was never closed, last I'd heard. Didn't know Elliott, but knew his sister, and it wasn't easy for the family.

I really didn't get to know his music until after he died, sort of like Nick Drake and Kurt Cobain, and found him similarly brilliant and tortured.

Date: March 16, 2015 20:38

Way better than Nick Drake and Cobain IMO.

Both were great but... Nick Drake's music was sweet but kind of boring, at least to my ears, and I don't get the whole grunge thing.

Just got a musical orgasm by listening to the instrumental part at the end of "In The Lost And Found".

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: March 16, 2015 22:43

Real good artist imo. MEZ

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: March 17, 2015 02:52

Perhaps John Lennon would be a better reference point for Elliott Smith. I attended the tribute concert at the Henry Fonda Theater put on by his friends and bravely and capably hosted by his sister Ashley about a week after his passing. They were playing a lot of the White Album and Let It Be albums between acts that night. Ashley told me later that John was a huge inspiration for Elliott.

One sad thing linking all of these four artists is that they were talented musicians who were all gone far too early.

RIP Elliott.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1997
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home