Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Great Review (*****) of Love You Live
Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 27, 2012 12:05

From long defunct UK music rag 'Sounds', a great paper back in the day. I found this tucked in the sleeve of my copy of the LP before I transferred it to CD.
LYL was always my favourite Stones live album but I have been wavering lately after last year's post of the complete official GYYYO with the tracks ripped from the DVD. Glad I got it before it was taken down. Both great albums from different eras.

Re: Great Review (*****) of Love You Live
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 27, 2012 12:19

Very nice to see those old articles. Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 27, 2012 13:42

Hey Valeswood, please check your collection of vinyls and see if you've got more of these treasures
to feed us!
Thank you very much for posting!

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: January 27, 2012 14:42

I remember that same week the NME headlined their review"Loath you Live",Mind you they thought The Genisis live album was brilliant.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 14:44

Wonderful review, and yes, very cool to post. Brings back memories to a time that the music and sheer funkiness was appreciated. I have no problems with LYL. My first live album by them and I was astounded by the loud thumping power it had. And the pure funkiness of it. Grinding guitars and a propulsive sound, their version of the Wall of Sound. A bit also like Mad Dogs and Englishmen. Great review of it.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: January 27, 2012 14:49

I am sure I have more of these. Definitely a Some Girls review (good, from memory) and Tattoo You (ok, from memory). I know I don't have an Emotional Rescue review but I remember in ‘Sounds’ it finished "They may be dead, but they're still the Rolling Stones". I can't remember why I didn't keep it or perhaps I just lost it.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 27, 2012 15:09

I happen to like Love You Live: it has a good sound, albeit sloppy, and is akin to the Stones meeting The Faces.

In truth it was the Stones meeting the Faces, with Ronnie joining.

When you consider the last live album Ronnie played on, i.e. Coast to Coast Overtures and Beginners, it is top quality.Coast to Coast is awful.

What has happened, I think, is that everyone thinks the previously released live album is top drawer, i.e. Ya Yas, and that Love You Live has a tough act to follow. I am sorry, but it's a different band in that Mick Taylor has gone, and Ronnie has arrived. It's probably the best live album, Stripped aside, of the Wood era.

A similar scenario arose with the Allmans: Wipe The Windows, Change The Oil, Dollar Gas was issued, but the preference is for Live @ The Fillmore. Again, it's a different band. Wipe The Windows is a great live album, but, again, there's an illustrious predecessor.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 27, 2012 16:05

good call on the ABB comparison, tom.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 27, 2012 17:14

A nice read. It nicely gives a hint what a big deal live album by the Stones once was. One can hear the magic between the lines.

- Doxa

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 27, 2012 18:07

tomcasagranda
I happen to like Love You Live: it has a good sound, albeit sloppy, and is akin to the Stones meeting The Faces.

When you consider the last live album Ronnie played on, i.e. Coast to Coast Overtures and Beginners, it is top quality.Coast to Coast is awful.

What has happened, I think, is that everyone thinks the previously released live album is top drawer, i.e. Ya Yas, and that Love You Live has a tough act to follow. I am sorry, but it's a different band in that Mick Taylor has gone, and Ronnie has arrived. It's probably the best live album, Stripped aside, of the Wood era.

Yes, I also happen to like Love You Live and I remember reading many glowing reviews of it when it came out. At first, I was thrilled to have a brand new live album from the Stones, as I considered that the stage is where they really put out the magic. At the same time, I was a bit let down as I was hoping for something as stellar as Ya Yas. But I realized that this was a different line up, a different era and I embraced the raw semi-sloppy rambunctiousness of it all. In recent times, I sometimes think they Stones may have shot themselves in the foot by doctoring up Ya Yas to such a state of perfection. I was ten when I first heard it and didn't learn till much later that they polished it up with so many overdubs, etc. But a few things had raised my suspicions. When a local TV station first aired Gimme Shelter, I noticed right away that the sound was a lot less polished and wait....where was the glorious Keith-harmonized chorus to Jumping Jack Flash that sounded so similar to the studio version? Same with the much rougher chorus to Honky Tonk Women? I suspect a lot of people may have based their expectations of how the Stones sounded live on Ya Yas. I know more than a few people who went to Stones concerts in that era and complained that they didn't sound as great as they did on Ya Yas. Maybe they shouldn't have polished Ya Yas quite so much. Love You Live is probably a more realistic presentation of the Stones live sound at that time, although I know overdubs were done on LYL as well. Still, I think they did a good job retaining the feel and the rawness that defined a Stones show in '75 - '76. Yes, Mick's vocals are annoying to some as he was into shouting and slurring at the time, but that's where he was at and nevertheless, he and the band still rock. The energy and the vibe are well captured and a lot of my personal playlists feature many LYL songs, like If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud, Hot Stuff, Star Star, Around and Around, Sympathy, etc. And although YCAGWYW is perhaps the sloppiest version they could have released, I've always loved Woody's long solo on that one. All in all, it's rock and roll...and I like it! Yes I do!

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: January 27, 2012 18:49

stonesdan60
tomcasagranda

Yes, I also happen to like Love You Live and I remember reading many glowing reviews of it when it came out. At first, I was thrilled to have a brand new live album from the Stones, as I considered that the stage is where they really put out the magic. At the same time, I was a bit let down as I was hoping for something as stellar as Ya Yas. But I realized that this was a different line up, a different era and I embraced the raw semi-sloppy rambunctiousness of it all. In recent times, I sometimes think they Stones may have shot themselves in the foot by doctoring up Ya Yas to such a state of perfection. I was ten when I first heard it and didn't learn till much later that they polished it up with so many overdubs, etc. But a few things had raised my suspicions. When a local TV station first aired Gimme Shelter, I noticed right away that the sound was a lot less polished and wait....where was the glorious Keith-harmonized chorus to Jumping Jack Flash that sounded so similar to the studio version? Same with the much rougher chorus to Honky Tonk Women? I suspect a lot of people may have based their expectations of how the Stones sounded live on Ya Yas. I know more than a few people who went to Stones concerts in that era and complained that they didn't sound as great as they did on Ya Yas. Maybe they shouldn't have polished Ya Yas quite so much. Love You Live is probably a more realistic presentation of the Stones live sound at that time, although I know overdubs were done on LYL as well. Still, I think they did a good job retaining the feel and the rawness that defined a Stones show in '75 - '76. Yes, Mick's vocals are annoying to some as he was into shouting and slurring at the time, but that's where he was at and nevertheless, he and the band still rock. The energy and the vibe are well captured and a lot of my personal playlists feature many LYL songs, like If You Can't Rock Me / Get Off of My Cloud, Hot Stuff, Star Star, Around and Around, Sympathy, etc. And although YCAGWYW is perhaps the sloppiest version they could have released, I've always loved Woody's long solo on that one. All in all, it's rock and roll...and I like it! Yes I do!

I agree with all points also like the solo in ycagwyw

Date: January 27, 2012 18:54

WeLoveYou
stonesdan60
tomcasagranda

I agree with all points also like the solo in ycagwyw

smileys with beer

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2012 17:50

I can not take the vocals on Love You Live!!!

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 28, 2012 18:12

I like the vocals on Love You Live, and I like the instrumentation.

Still Life is the beginning of the average live albums.

Flashpoint has too much of an 80s' sheen: Stripped is excellent, as is No Security.

Live Licks does nothing for me, apart from That's How Strong and Worried About You.

Shine A Light isn't too bad, but could've been better.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 28, 2012 21:33

Thanks to [dietcokeandsympathy.blogspot.com]

Great pics

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-28 21:33 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 29, 2012 01:49

stonesdan60

Well, let's crank this topic up yet again. As one who values the musicianship that's evident in Ya-Ya's I get a little uncomfortable when the "YaYa's is overdubbed to death" discussion gets casually tossed around. There are NO instrumental overdubs on YaYa's with the possible exception of a minor one in Carol. Some people have gone to great lengths identify the source materials and do painstaking comparisons. Now vocal overdubs...that's an entirely different story, as 6 of the 10 songs contain them. (And as you note, the vocals on JJF and HW are studio creations, no question. However, songs like Midnight Rambler and Love in Vain contain no overdubs whatsoever, vocal or instrumental.) Chrism42 has done the work on this, so don't take my word for it:

Ya-Ya's sources and overdubs (scroll to bottom for summary)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-29 02:13 by rocker1.

Date: January 29, 2012 16:38

rocker1
stonesdan60

Well, let's crank this topic up yet again. As one who values the musicianship that's evident in Ya-Ya's I get a little uncomfortable when the "YaYa's is overdubbed to death" discussion gets casually tossed around. There are NO instrumental overdubs on YaYa's with the possible exception of a minor one in Carol. Some people have gone to great lengths identify the source materials and do painstaking comparisons. Now vocal overdubs...that's an entirely different story, as 6 of the 10 songs contain them. (And as you note, the vocals on JJF and HW are studio creations, no question. However, songs like Midnight Rambler and Love in Vain contain no overdubs whatsoever, vocal or instrumental.) Chrism42 has done the work on this, so don't take my word for it:

Yes - I failed to clarify that the overdubs were on the vocals for the most part, but then again, the vocals are a part of the sound that people might expect to hear if they'd only heard Ya Yas and then went to their first Stones Concert. Yes, I read the analysis you mention by Chrism42.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 29, 2012 16:48

tomcasagranda
I like the vocals on Love You Live, and I like the instrumentation.

it's the other way around for me :E

or maybe: what the Mick's voice is doing fits right in with the other instruments,
and the whole thing shakes my tailfeather somethin fierce

thanks for posting the review

Date: January 29, 2012 18:56

There is simply something about 1975-1976 that I seriously dislike. I don't like Mick's singing at all and the overall sound there is something there I just don't like I can never really put my finger on it. There is a clip of You Gotta Move on youtube that is awesome! One of Keith's most inspired moments on guitar. But overall this whole era is bad for me.

Date: January 29, 2012 19:00

rocker1
stonesdan60

I still don't understand why Mick sang the JJF overdub 'well it's alllllllllllll-riiiiiiiiiiight' instead of 'well it's alright, yeah it's alright' like he sang it live. That was a thousand times better.

Date: January 29, 2012 19:01

The way he sang on the opening number in the Gimme Shelter film was great I have no idea why he thought he needed to go and redo his vocals on JJF.

Date: January 29, 2012 19:44

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
rocker1
stonesdan60

I still don't understand why Mick sang the JJF overdub 'well it's alllllllllllll-riiiiiiiiiiight' instead of 'well it's alright, yeah it's alright' like he sang it live. That was a thousand times better.

I guess he wanted it to sound more like the recorded version.

Date: January 29, 2012 20:05

See, even then he was making bad decisions on what he thought 'sounded' better/best/right. Sheesh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home