Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Have the Stones ever befriended a fan?
Posted by: chatoyancy ()
Date: November 23, 2016 06:51

Swiss, I just spoke to Mud Above who knows Keith. She said that now would be a good time to do a telephone interview because he is promoting a record plus Exhibitionism. Call his office. Mud said he is in Redlands tonight.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 23, 2016 09:50

I guess our very own Chatoyancy is an example of the Stones befriending a fan.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 23, 2016 15:53

hi Peeps - thanks for the notes. Hope I got most everyone below. If not, my apologies. I've been editing audio for 14 hours (which is more fun than it sounds) and my eyes are a bit shot.

chatoyancy
Swiss, I just spoke to Mud Above who knows Keith. She said that now would be a good time to do a telephone interview because he is promoting a record plus Exhibitionism. Call his office. Mud said he is in Redlands tonight.

chatoyancy (great name!) - wow, thank you for this information, and please give my regards and thanks to Mud Above. Perhaps, if I can do an interview with Keith touching on the record and Exhibitionism, that might work out! I'm presuming "his office" means the NY office....? or UK? Thanks again.

Bliss
I guess our very own Chatoyancy is an example of the Stones befriending a fan.

Well said! grinning smiley

EddieByword
Sounds like she might be the nasty cousin of onlystones.......[iorr.org]

LOL!

Kurt
Swiss,

The interwebs can be such a nasty place. You were right to be suspicious but also trusting, thinking that our rather small "community" might be a safe haven.
Bizarre.

Good luck to you.
I feel you will reach Keith very soon. Just a hunch.

Thank you, Kurt. That is just what I thought. I did pretty rigorous due diligence, but also reckoned that, as you say, our rather small "community" if not a safe haven, per se, would probably not stray too far afield into the tres bizarre. I'm currently planning to complete "The Night Before Altamont" without Keith, because the people who have contributed interviews are not getting any younger, and for some it's been 3 years since our interview, and they were good to give me their thoughts, recollections, time, and beautiful voices. Five amazing people (truly) have already died since I started this project--and it's time to share what's been shared with me. It looks like I will have some assistance with final production, and when it's getting close to "final-final" and I may send a promo or the whole thing to Keith's folks. Perhaps when they hear the word itself, rather than talk about it, and if Keith is available at that time, an interview might happen then. We'll see. Thanks again!

with sssoul
How bizarre, to go to such lengths, knowing that one would have squat to deliver.

with sssoul, I know (!) Have you ever seen the show, or the movie, CATFISH? I started watching around the time this-all went down last fall. Almost every single episode you wonder....what did the catfisher think was going to happen, ultimately? [Incidentally, the case of the "reality" show, it's people who pretend to be someone else and who draw people into romantic relationships and scenarios (not professional), sometimes using astonishingly elaborate ruses. You never get a true sense of why the "catfisher" did it---as many times as they are called upon to explain they never can. Not really. They talk about being lonely and wanting to be someone else, to impress others, to having a hard time in their own lives, but it doesn't actually get at the gist. Most are unremorseful. Many are sort of detached, as if it wasn't really they who did it. There's almost always some kind of cognitive dissonance when called on what they've done. The rare exceptions are people entrapping current or former lovers -- they know why they did it. But the other folks are so in their own worlds all they can say is, basically, "It seemed like a good idea at the time, and was exciting to make the other person happy and believe in me."

SomeTorontoGirl
I'm pretty sure I know who you mean, and am not entirely surprised. Very self-agrandizing posts at one time, and very strong push-back whenever challenged. So sorry you were duped - I'm sure everyone here would love to have Keith's memories of that night on the record. (Hoping nobody thinks it was me - but everyone likely already knows I have squat!)

hi STG, I think remember on eoms your having confronting the poster. I have no idea whether there's even kernels of truth in the stories conveyed about Toronto '77 or whether it's all "fan fiction." Presuming the latter, although it doesn't really matter. Of course you're fa-real, girl - I doubt anyone would imagine it was you smiling smiley

swimtothemoon
Wow Swiss, sorry you had to go through such a hoax. Honestly, it sounds like this person is delusional or worse. As far as scoring a interview, Keith's or the Stones current publicist might be the place to start. Mention the interview does not need to be in person that may help. However, you have probably already tried this route. Good luck and keep up the faith!

Thanks, swimmy! It was a letdown for not only me, but also the people who were so happy I'd finally gotten this break after trying so many times and so many ways to get a short interview---and who spent a shitloat of time reviewing, editing, wordsmithing, tweaking it. Makes me chuckle now to think about it. But it was all-hands-on-deck, with an aces crew of trusted talented friends. Almost 1/2 of whom never mentioned this project again, not out of anger but sadness. and I'm sure, embarrassment, for me. Ah well. It's not that big a deal, ultimately, tho I did shelve the effort for about 4-5 months after that.

Palace Revolution 2000
Hi Swiss, I just now read your tale. I am sure I know who you are talking about. But more than that I wanted to wish you well with your work and book; which has been going on for quite some time now. You're one in a million. It's gonna be great. Wish I had a hotline to Keith for you.

Palace Revolution 2k, thank you! smiling smiley

There are several pieces to the Altamont "franchise" haha - including a book - but the big things are the documentaries. I could write a book without talking to Keith---relying on already existing words in print on the topic---many people do, and as a matter of fact, the new book on the market is said to contain that kind of existing print interviews with people. It's one of the keen benefits of a book---quotes from those you've never met or spoken with can be inserted seamlessly into a narrative, and unless there are footnotes or other contextual language, it's not even necessary to break the flow and indicate the source of the quotes, making it almost irrelevant who conducted the interviews, or when.

With documentaries, you can "quote" other people's work, with existing and/or archival clips. But the preference for some is, whenever possible, to record and film your own interviews.

With Rock Scully (Grateful Dead manager) and Albert Maysles (Gimme Shelter) I do have quite a bit of my own audio content to use in "The Night Before Altamont." But for the film, Altamont 360°, I have only stills, and will have to either animate it, leverage their audio as voiceovers, or find existing film footage of them discussing Altamont, which, fortunately does exist.

Since "The Night Before Altamont" is all-audio, and there is no existing audio of any Stones (or anyone, really) discussing the topic, all interviews have to be mine. Hence the ridiculously protracted attempt to get a super brief interview.

(NB---there is exactly one recording of Keith discussing the night before Altamont---I've spoken with the person who owns it about whether I could use those 30 seconds, but the tape is 45 years old, and although I offered to have the tape preserved, conserved, and digitized, the owner is not quite ready to work together in this way.)

Anyway---one of the benefits of conducting so many interviews for a documentary is subsequently have masses of original source material for any other media---like a book, etc.

LeonidP
Wow, that started out so great and suspenseful, I couldn't wait 'til you got to the part about meeting Keith. How depressing for me as a reader, I can't imagine how hard it was for you!

I anxiously await your Altamont book, is it forever on hold until you get a meeting with the riff master?

Thanks, LeonidP smiling smiley And, aaargh, sorry to disappoint - happier ending forthcoming!

It had been in limbo, but the beginning of this month I took the leap and carved out 6 months to work on the Altamont projects. I'm excited to work with the 20+ delicious interviews I have. The piece, as originally envisioned, featured Keith as a sort of centerpiece--but there are so many compelling stories from other people, so it shall be on hold no more!

frenki09

What a story! A clearly delusional woman. It's great that you looked into her background. Always check your source, especially if you are writing a book.

Good luck with getting through to Keef. A very difficult thing... Keep us updated!!!

And thanks for a sharing your story. It was an awakening read.

Thanks, frenki09!
Checking sources is a important, indeed.
And---it must be said---the stor/y/ies of Altamont are very hard to corroborate. Audio documentary "The Night Before Altamont" is easier in tha rgeard than the film about the whole incident, Altamont 360°. The film is tricky because the day itself was so fraught and confusing, and people have their own narratives cemented into their noggins--ne'er the twain shall meet sometimes. A few of the people who have traditionally been considered the "experts" in Altamont are at odds with each other, however much they have sought to streamline and nail down ONE cohesive narrative. It's a fool's errand, reductive or even reductionist, and leaves out "outlier" narratives that are inconvenient or unpopular. Altamont 360° will be inclusive in this regard---recognizing that when people speak their truth it is likely going to clash with others' versions of The Truth. C'est la vie (c'est la réalité...c'est la guerre?)

btw...I shared the story because---hadn't thought about it since last fall---it was an "awakening" experience, and I thought if it was for me, it might be similarly interesting for others here on iorr. smiling smiley

-swiss

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-23 16:06 by swiss.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:35

Swiss, it also must be hard getting footage re. Altamont together, because people are passing away. The witnesses are literally dying off.
Now that you have told me about the film medium, I realize that you had pointed that out before.
It's strange how these parallels happen, but just 2 days ago I had been reading a very harrowing account of the time in there; in the belly of the beast at Altamont.

Date: November 23, 2016 16:57

Palace Revolution 2000
Swiss, it also must be hard getting footage re. Altamont together, because people are passing away. The witnesses are literally dying off.
Now that you have told me about the film medium, I realize that you had pointed that out before.
It's strange how these parallels happen, but just 2 days ago I had been reading a very harrowing account of the time in there; in the belly of the beast at Altamont.

Yes, Palace...I might have mentioned 5 people (important to the Altamont story) have died. Actually, 6. Paul Kantner told me he would give me an interview, and I ran into him twice in San Francisco. I have been so focused on the AUDIO documentary "The Night Before Altamont" that I have NOT interviewed countless people who were at Altamont the DAY but not the night before.

Initially, the focus is on the night before, for several reasons. Most simply, the audio commentary will help raise funds for the *very* complex and *very* expensive film, Altamont 360°. Not to get too into why it's so complex and expensive, but it is both.

Fundraising will not be impossible at all---sources have committed interest---but it will be intense and rigorous, and all aspects must be ready to roll forward with speed, to get it done, in 2 years, which is a short turnaround for an extensive documentary. However, I can get it done give the funds and right crew.

And again, to get the funds I must produce "The Night Before Altamont," along with my business plan for the film, Altamont 360°, which I have ready to go.

Part of the reason for the speed is, as you say, "witnesses dying off."

Tonight I was editing audio of a great interviewee, and although we were not supposed to talk about the day of Altamont itself, he started to go there---even after all this time, even though he's a self-controlled guy, his voice changed quite a bit when talking about the feeling of it---even the shape of the soundwaves [of his voice] was different...

Thanks again for your interest and encouragement!
-swiss

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 23, 2016 18:38

swiss
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
Isn't it annoying when you arrive in a thread where content has been deleted by the poster...

I was just reading it, and for some reason refreshed my browser, and...

I guess there were good reasons for deleting it, though.

Sorry gotablouse, and hi DandePow -- so, I had second thoughts, because you make yourself pretty vulnerable when you post a story like the one above.

However, I had "third thoughts" (is that a thing?) and decided: fock it, my friends who independently reviewed her emails to me, and who helped craft the letter, per her instructions, include an author of a beloved Stones book, a seasoned journalist who's anything but naive, a discerning lawyer, a professor at Harvard, my Altamont co-producer who's a shrewd judge of character, and --frankly-- me, with a keen bullshit detector.

So, I'm telling the story for the first time here. And will tell it again, someday, after I do finally get an interview with Keith, as part of the meta-story behind what it will have taken to get these Altamont pieces completed. Not for the faint of heart, I assure you winking smiley

-swiss

Thanks for your note and for posting that sad story. I think we all know who this is and I can't say I'm surprised as I'd called her out several times here on her behavior. Thing is she does seem to have *some type* of connection because another *insider* (also banned here) was exchanging hints with her... But who knows now...

Glad to see you might have another chance at getting through now.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: November 24, 2016 01:19

Swiss, I sure hope you get the interview with Keith - sounds like you may have some options here. However, in addition to or instead of, you may want to
consider Bill Wyman. He may be easier to obtain and his memory of that day
might be clearer than Keith's. Bill may offer some new insight and be a little
more candid - since he is no longer tied to the band. Anyway good luck
with the project.

Date: November 24, 2016 04:01

gotdablouse
swiss
DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse
Isn't it annoying when you arrive in a thread where content has been deleted by the poster...

I was just reading it, and for some reason refreshed my browser, and...

I guess there were good reasons for deleting it, though.

Sorry gotablouse, and hi DandePow -- so, I had second thoughts, because you make yourself pretty vulnerable when you post a story like the one above.

However, I had "third thoughts" (is that a thing?) and decided: fock it, my friends who independently reviewed her emails to me, and who helped craft the letter, per her instructions, include an author of a beloved Stones book, a seasoned journalist who's anything but naive, a discerning lawyer, a professor at Harvard, my Altamont co-producer who's a shrewd judge of character, and --frankly-- me, with a keen bullshit detector.

So, I'm telling the story for the first time here. And will tell it again, someday, after I do finally get an interview with Keith, as part of the meta-story behind what it will have taken to get these Altamont pieces completed. Not for the faint of heart, I assure you winking smiley

-swiss

Thanks for your note and for posting that sad story. I think we all know who this is and I can't say I'm surprised as I'd called her out several times here on her behavior. Thing is she does seem to have *some type* of connection because another *insider* (also banned here) was exchanging hints with her... But who knows now...

LOL, I;m sorry I know this is a serious topic and thread, but in an aside: I recall those two always falling over each other with cryptic comments and inside scoop keywords. I said something to them too .

Date: November 24, 2016 04:36

Palace Revolution 2000
gotdablouse

LOL, I;m sorry I know this is a serious topic and thread, but in an aside: I recall those two always falling over each other with cryptic comments and inside scoop keywords. I said something to them too .

It is a funny story - I mean, at least absurd, or absurdist - I don't mind levity, at all. It would be way funnier if "The Night Before Altamont" had long ago been wrapped up with a great quote from Keith, and the hoops jumped through (not only this) all seemed worthwhile in retrospect. Still, it is, as "someone suggested above, slightly comical smiling smiley

In any case, it's in the rearview mirror, and I still like to believe the person in question did not have harm in mind, and on some level wanted/tried to help.

-swiss

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 24, 2016 08:22

"It seemed like a good idea at the time, and was exciting to make the other person happy and believe in me."

This is a bit different; she also got to be a big shot, posting from his/her little bedsit or even his/her mother's basement.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 24, 2016 10:19

I think you should include this story, without a doubt. thumbs up

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: November 24, 2016 10:33

Swiss, please dont give up the quest for the "hey God im there on stage with the Stones mouthing something to you - guy" aka "worst trip ever guy" smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-11-24 10:34 by Redhotcarpet.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 3, 2017 03:12

The Joker
Ronnie Wood

grinning smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 3, 2017 03:23

Kurt
Swiss,

The interwebs can be such a nasty place. You were right to be suspicious but also trusting, thinking that our rather small "community" might be a safe haven.
Bizarre.

Reminds me of my contact with someone claiming to have worked for/known them in 60's, have home recordings from 1967 etc.

Turned out the person was full of shit, the recordings that were sent to me were fake (I think tongue sticking out smiley ) and well, it seems to have been a tall tale story by some saddo @#$%&.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 03:37

I realize this is an old thread with an odd twist, but the question is here is very loaded. Pun indeed intended.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: January 3, 2017 08:14

mpj200
I realize this is an old thread with an odd twist, but the question is here is very loaded. Pun indeed intended.

Why is it a loaded question?

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: January 3, 2017 12:08

There was an insider, Mike DeCaro or so who promising me rehearsals for the 1969 tour. Of course it's never arrived to me, but I forgot the details.

Posted by: mpj200 ()
Date: January 3, 2017 16:39

35love
mpj200

Why is it a loaded question?

Because some of their best mates are fans they met back in the 70's that they did drugs with. Loaded. Get it? Especially Keith and Ronnie's mates.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2360
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home