Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who "The Relay"
Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: January 18, 2012 23:29

I can't find a Who compilation anywhere (short of the old "Who greatest hits" with the union jack shirt on the cover) that includes "The Relay". None of the slew of new Who collections feature it, and it's one of my favorite songs from them. Any thoughts, ideas, advice, leads? (Not to be confused with Leeds).

Re: OT: The Who "The Relay"
Posted by: Youngie ()
Date: January 18, 2012 23:46

The Who Collection (Volume 1, Polydor, 1985) and on Rarities Volume 1&2 (Polydor). The Relay is also on Hooligans cd.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 18, 2012 23:57

It's on their box set but apart from that it's rare to see it which is a shame as it's a great track.

Date: January 19, 2012 00:33

I know; it is a killer track, and kind of hard to find. My thing was, that I was determined to find "Join Together" and "Relay" on the same album.
"Relay" is on the Union Jack, like you say, and also on the big "30 Years of Maximum R&B". It's also on "Then & Now" and on "BBC Sessions".

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 02:04

This is a big issue with Who fans and be aware that the boxed set version is part of the totally annoying "cross fades" on cd3 or 4 I can't remember which - some genius thought it would be great to fade one song out and start the next one right over the end of the last one!

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 02:24

floodonthepage
I can't find a Who compilation anywhere (short of the old "Who greatest hits" with the union jack shirt on the cover) that includes "The Relay". None of the slew of new Who collections feature it, and it's one of my favorite songs from them. Any thoughts, ideas, advice, leads? (Not to be confused with Leeds).

A little pricey, but has gotten generally positive reviews:

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 19, 2012 02:44

A highlight of their live shows in recent years.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 02:50

There is a great version on the Live at Albert Hall DVD. And it is long! About 8 minutes. Also a version on CD The Who Live at the BBC.

Date: January 19, 2012 05:24

tatters

Agreed! I have a CD copy of my St. Paul, MN. show from 2002.

Date: January 19, 2012 05:25

Thanks for the ideas! I'll look into the "30 years of R & B..." and some of those others mentioned. Has the Hooligans CD been remastered?

Posted by: ajc68 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 06:32

tkl7

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

I just got "The Singles+10" from them for the exact reason of getting "Relay" as a remastered, stand alone, single on CD. On the 90's box set it's cross-faded with "Join Together."

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 19, 2012 07:45

Fantastic song. I got the Maximum R and B from the local library so I could load The Relay onto my iTunes.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 19, 2012 13:34

floodonthepage
tatters

Agreed! I have a CD copy of my St. Paul, MN. show from 2002.

For anyone not aware, the soundboard recording of every Who concert from 2002 to 2007 was made available as an "official bootleg". I've got both of the shows I attended in 2002; Auburn Hills and Grand Rapids. Good performances, but hard on the ears due to some very harsh compression in the mastering, which you can also hear in the track I posted. Of the two shows I've got, Auburn Hills sounds the best, but Grand Rapids is the one I listen to. I was siting in the third row, and I can hear myself on the CD, not just between songs, but even shouting over Rabbit's synth intro to Won't Get Fooled Again.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 19, 2012 13:46

While we're discussing it I believe the actual title of the song is Relay. However, I have seen compilations where it is, and I think incorrectly, titled The Relay. The copy I bought in the UK in 73 is titled Relay which is what is sung.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 13:53

Yeah, that's bad ass Tatters. Cool to have that memento. I have the show I saw in Virginia, the tour they did with Jimmy Page/Black Crowes. I also got the box set from the next tour. Some of it is sublimely incredible. Some of it is turd awful. I think Roger was suffering more than he realized.
The fade in/out on Max R and B didn't bother me. I think Townshend was trying to make Life House segues perhaps how he envisioned the original album to sound? Maybe.

What did you think of the versions of Let's See Action and I Don't Even Know Myself on the 2000 tour? I enjoyed that immensely. That was a fantastic tour and they were in fighting shape. Townshend shocked me how good he was on electric. . .

But I do feel that the versions of Water and I Don't Even Know Myself on Isle of White are stunning. Epic masterpieces of Townshend brilliant ability to create primordial riffs. Classic.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: January 19, 2012 18:37

Despite John's passing in 2002, I rather enjoyed the show I saw in Tinley Park. I find it a testimate to the Who that when Roger couldn't hear himself in Love Reign O'er Me, they finished the song, then played it again. Still my favorite moment at a Who concert was hearing Naked Eye in 2007. This is one of my favorite Who songs and I am glad I heard it!

Posted by: tkl7 ()
Date: January 19, 2012 19:00

ajc68
tkl7

[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

I just got "The Singles+10" from them for the exact reason of getting "Relay" as a remastered, stand alone, single on CD. On the 90's box set it's cross-faded with "Join Together."

I bought the Who's Missing and Two's Missing comp, because the original has been out of print for many years. I mat pick up the Singles+10, as it does seem to capture many of the 70's era standalone singles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1461
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home