Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: One Hit to the Body - Video Rehearsal Footage!
Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:04

Jane Rose at 4:00, pretty sure that's JC at 3:28.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:11

This is as bad as it gets. Ridiculous hair (or are they whigs?) overdone makeup and stupid rock cliches. Quite laughable. It's The Rolling Stones trying to emulate The Rolling Stones and not succeeding at it. I'm 100 % behind Doxa on this. Thanks for the video though, Punkfloyd.

Posted by: thijs1981 ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:29

"5-6-7-8... one more from the BO - DY!"

Long live the gay choreographer!

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:35

Jagger's hair looks ridiculous in retrospect.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:49

Yes, it is bad, i agree. I think the most significant aspect to the decline of the Stones promo films/videos, is the moment Michael Lindsay Hogg stopped directing them, after those promos for TATTOO YOU. I think he really did have a handle on how best to visually compliment the Stones, and those promos were never over elaborate. Michael made the Stones members themselves the focal point of those videos visually, in ultimately, a pretty stark way. Jagger, especially, benefitted because of his own wonderful visual presence, which was truly exploited to the full. One feels after TATTOO YOU the Stones wanted to go with the flow, in terms of wanting to create a more contemporary video which stood pretty much with many of the other style videos from the period - Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' for example. with a more drawn out story style vibe, and less on simply performance. Something got lost, ultimately, i feel, and the Stones were now pretty much blending in with the current music scene, instead of appearing that little bit individual, and distinct. I think definitely with the Stones it was always the case that less is more. TATTOO YOU marked the end in not just the high quality of the music. Ultimately, the visual elements were becoming increasingly gross, too, in their own way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-15 20:50 by Edward Twining.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 15, 2012 20:54

Please nothing from the 80's

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: January 15, 2012 21:22

I'll say this, for a tribute band they do resemble The Stones quite a bit.
Looks-wise, that is.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 15, 2012 21:27

Well - I like One Hit, anyway! And considering the video is from 1986; it could had been far worse than than them having hairspray, playing non-cabled guitars and doing the shooting of the MadMax settings. I'm glad they never got around to promotional film for Winning Ugly - we might not had been that lucky with that one.....and that's not even mentioning the music, itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-15 23:09 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: coffeepotman ()
Date: January 15, 2012 21:27

Not all the 80's videos are bad, I rather like the video for Undercover of the Night, both versions.

Date: January 15, 2012 21:32

coffeepotman
Not all the 80's videos are bad, I rather like the video for Undercover of the Night, both versions.

But 1983 is just before the big fall of the 80s. Not only when it comes to Rolling Stones, but for a LOT of acts and bands

Date: January 15, 2012 21:42

Erik_Snow
coffeepotman

But 1983 is just before the big fall of the 80s. Not only when it comes to Rolling Stones, but for a LOT of acts and bands

I'm not so sure about that. In retrospect the 80`s was a pretty good and innovative decade for popular music. But the 90`s and 00`s are quite bland and forgetable in comparison. Of course that depends on your personal taste. I'm sure people who are into grunge and indie doesn't agree with me.

Date: January 15, 2012 21:45

Stoneage
Erik_Snow
coffeepotman

I'm not so sure about that. In retrospect the 80`s was a pretty good and innovative decade for popular music. But the 90`s and 00`s are quite bland and forgetable in comparison. Of course that depends on your personal taste. I'm sure people who are into grunge and indie doesn't agree with me.

Oh I didn't mean to speak up for the musicvideos of the 90s and 00s, but both for music and musicvideos, I see *the* big decline to be around 1984, when it comes to the artists I'm into of that era

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-15 22:34 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 15, 2012 22:32

I'm surprised Keith didn't blow up when they were putting hairspray on him while he was smoking a cigarette.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 15, 2012 22:44

sweetcharmedlife
I'm surprised Keith didn't blow up when they were putting hairspray on him while he was smoking a cigarette.

He was pretty desperate on that spray himself. Maybe Micks thick hair annoyed Keith.

Date: January 15, 2012 23:04

Doxa
Marionettes. So bloody 80's, Almost nothing of the old naturalness or 'coolness' left, the video is as artificial as the track. To my fresh die-hard fan eyes the video sucked already in 1986 - simply too much stupid ridiculous posing - and it surely isn't any better now. Okay, they were rehearsing for the Vegas years, one can say in hindsight.

- Doxa

Couldn't disagree more. Always loved this song—the only highlight of pretty brutal album. Always loved this video—back in the day I would stay up late just hoping and praying they'd play it on the Friday Night Videos. To the eyes of a thirteen year old there was no cooler looking humans than Mick and Keith. I always try to put my "fandom" in context . . . try to remember and hold on to the reasons I loved the Stones in that particular era—no matter how dated it becomes. I'll NEVER forget the Keith with the grey showing in the temples. So cool.

Posted by: punkfloyd ()
Date: January 16, 2012 00:22

I was 16 in 1986 and I have to admit I thought this video was pretty cool at the time, especially with the sparring of Mick and Keith. I think the director also did Duran Duran's Wild Boys video which was visually cool (again, at the time).

In retrospect, the video is pretty shitty. Harlem Shuffle was even more embarrassing, in my opinion. With that video, it was hard to convince my friends the Stones were still cool.

I also agree Michael Lindsey Hogg videos are the best.

Posted by: Sam Spade ()
Date: January 16, 2012 00:36

Is it just me but did anyone notice Charlie doesn't exactly look like he had a drink and drug problem at the time this video shoot was taking place.

Date: January 16, 2012 03:38

Yeah but every video is about posing.....

"Rockman", you should know alot about "posing"

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 16, 2012 04:20

Nothing compares to Bowie and Jagger dancing in a hallway singing "Dancing In The Streets"

I always liked "One Hit To The Body" especially during the 1989 tour. The song has a slicing riff.

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:19

Yeah, definitely...for a song I don't partiularly like, there something interesting going on with the guitar work..

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:35

Ruddy Hilda Ogden. I love One hit to the body. Gets me rockin every time

\m/

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 05:40

One of the highlights of Dirty Work. A great riff! Some interesting lyrics, and a great performance. The video is ok. I was never big fan of lip syncing videos, unless they have some interesting visual thing going on like Strawberry Fields or Sledgehammer. But it sure is better than Start Me Up, one of the worst music videos ever made. So bad that Jagger even has to control himself from laughing.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:01

punkfloyd
I think the director also did Duran Duran's Wild Boys video which was visually cool (again, at the time).

Bingo.

This is The Stones doing a Duran Duran video.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 16, 2012 10:05

My god 26 years old...
Love it : great energetic song, mick hairy eye popping smiley Keith haircut so nice. Sneakers instead of boots(hey Jane). Leather jackets ( Charlie with a perfecto eye popping smiley), jimmy page, mick Keith fight ("no this is a RS record". Great

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Date: January 16, 2012 10:45

punkfloyd
God I love You Tube.

God I hated the 80's.

The song's good, the rest just reminds me of the endless streaming of these kind of videos in pubs and night clubs.

They all did an agressive urban/factory/blade runner setting video at some point, some did several.

Hopefully we never see the like again.

The 80's was mostly presentation over content.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: January 16, 2012 11:00

punkfloyd
God I love You Tube.

Oh yes...I've seen so many gems on it that I'd never thought I saw.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: January 16, 2012 11:15

GravityBoy
They all did an agressive urban/factory/blade runner setting video at some point, some did several.

Haha, yep! The Stones also did Rock And A Hard Place and Highwire in this style. In fact the whole Urban Jungle tour had that same visual "theme".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 11:23 by LieB.

Date: January 16, 2012 11:22

And I guess all this is due to Jagger's fascination for "Bladerunner". Hence the stage design for the Steel Wheels tour and the "industrial" decor in these videos. And don't forget Jagger's acting in "Freejack" (a Bladerunner epigon?). Must admit I never saw Bladerunner. Was it all that great?

Date: January 16, 2012 11:48

Stoneage
Must admit I never saw Bladerunner. Was it all that great?

One of the greatest movies of all time.

One of the greatest scenes of all time (the Roy Batty death scene which he improvised himself).

Oh yeah.. and Vangelis... genius.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-16 11:49 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 16, 2012 12:10

steel driving hammer
Thanks for posting.

Didn't Jimmy Page (quite a rage) play on this one?

Yep -Jimmy Page played on this one.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1825
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home