Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Stones Four Most Overrated Songs. And Five Most Underrated.
Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: January 13, 2012 01:43

Doxa
I don't know, I find this kind of talk of "overrating classical tracks" extremily odd. If I hear that "Satisfaction", "Brown Sugar", "Honky Tonk Women", or " Paint itBblack" or some other 'classic' is "over-rated" I think that is equal to claim that The Rolling Stones are over-rated, which means to say that the person who claims something like that can't really grasp what is so great in this band. Those kind of claims are hitting straight to the constitution of this band. To the very constititive reasons why they are there where they are and what they are.

The way I read those kind of claims - if I want to be emphatic and use the 'principle of charity' - is that they are over-interpretations by so called 'hard-core fans' who are fed up that the tunes are so well known and familiar by everyone that they tend to sounds too obvious and perhaps for that reason, boring. It's much 'exciting' to listen more rare stuff. But that's the road with not a happy ending... An odd or an elitist comment in any sense. In the latter sense, I advice one just to step back, give those gems another, careful listening, without any prejudices and anything. And just let the music verify why the band is called the greatest rock and roll and in the world not just due their unique live presence but because they have the best tunes to play as well.

- Doxa

True. That's why I couldn't name more than two "overrated" songs: JJF, Angie, IORR etc...they may be overplayed, but that's another thing. But they are seminal Stones songs.

Although, a few weeks ago, I actually heard Dandelion on the radio and it blew me away. That's one I always liked anyway, but rarely listen to it because of its source. But I immediately thought, 'What a great song..'

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:37

Doxa
I don't know, I find this kind of talk of "overrating classical tracks" extremily odd. If I hear that "Satisfaction", "Brown Sugar", "Honky Tonk Women", or " Paint itBblack" or some other 'classic' is "over-rated" I think that is equal to claim that The Rolling Stones are over-rated, which means to say that the person who claims something like that can't really grasp what is so great in this band. Those kind of claims are hitting straight to the constitution of this band. To the very constititive reasons why they are there where they are and what they are.

The way I read those kind of claims - if I want to be emphatic and use the 'principle of charity' - is that they are over-interpretations by so called 'hard-core fans' who are fed up that the tunes are so well known and familiar by everyone that they tend to sounds too obvious and perhaps for that reason, boring. It's much 'exciting' to listen more rare stuff. But that's the road with not a happy ending... An odd or an elitist comment in any sense. In the latter sense, I advice one just to step back, give those gems another, careful listening, without any prejudices and anything. And just let the music verify why the band is called the greatest rock and roll and in the world not just due their unique live presence but because they have the best tunes to play as well.

- Doxa

I agree.

There's always those who want to point out some really obscure demo tape - or obscure band - It sounds to me like the typical obnoxious critic - you always got to like the most obscure thing 'cause it shows how "knowledgeable" you are, hah hah.Some insane person, some trainspotter, has to know the most obscure songs from some crappy old demo tapes, - that no one else have ever heard of - in order to be "cooler" than the rest, hahah..when in fact they are just "elitist @#$%&."

So sure - they will hate Rolling Stones and love some obsucure alternative band in some garage..and they hate Jumpin Jack Flash, Satisfaction and Brown sugar - and they will bring out the experimental odd track from some stoned out, drunken demo tape..hahah. And they will always hate all the new songs...hahahahah.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:43

jamesfdouglas
Overrated: Shattered, Street Fighting Man, anything post-Undercover, any Chuck Berry Cover
Underrated: All the Way Down, Time Waits for No One, If You Let Me, Family, Dance Pt 1

Really good "underrated" choices, especially If You Let Me and Dance Pt. 1.

I'd add "Singer Not The Song" and "Who's Driving Your Plane?"

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: January 13, 2012 02:49

Overrated - Anything from The Exile or Some Girls outtakes.

Underated - All of Voodoo Lounge and A Bigger Bang

Date: January 13, 2012 02:56

Overplayed can make someone think, it seems, that a song is over rated.

There is no way to count how many times I've heard Brown Sugar but I never turn that one off. Or JJF, SFM, Tumbling Dice. Start Me Up, Miss You, Paint It Black, SFTD, Angie, IORR and Satisfaction I do turn off.

I'd rather hear something else.

Are any of those 'over rated'? I really don't know. Great songs, all of them, yes. But are all of them truly great songs? Nah.

So what.

I certainly wished they would have played some of them better live over the years.

Posted by: Pete66 ()
Date: January 13, 2012 09:15

Overrated: Out of control.

Underrated: Let me down slow, Dance pt 1, Under my thumb (live81), Thief in the night.

Pete.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: January 13, 2012 11:12

Overrated:
Every song on Undercover album, (most of it - is crap)

Underrated:
Goats Head Soup, Only Rock Roll, Black N Blue, Love You Live, Bigger Bang, Bridges To Babylon, Stripped, and Aftermath albums

Posted by: mikeeder ()
Date: January 13, 2012 11:26

Overrated-the post 78 tours and post 81 albums.
Underrated-Brian Jones sadly.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: January 13, 2012 15:38

seitan
Doxa

- Doxa

I agree.

There's always those who want to point out some really obscure demo tape - or obscure band - It sounds to me like the typical obnoxious critic - you always got to like the most obscure thing 'cause it shows how "knowledgeable" you are, hah hah.Some insane person, some trainspotter, has to know the most obscure songs from some crappy old demo tapes, - that no one else have ever heard of - in order to be "cooler" than the rest, hahah..when in fact they are just "elitist @#$%&."

So sure - they will hate Rolling Stones and love some obsucure alternative band in some garage..and they hate Jumpin Jack Flash, Satisfaction and Brown sugar - and they will bring out the experimental odd track from some stoned out, drunken demo tape..hahah. And they will always hate all the new songs...hahahahah.

There was someone posting on IORR a while ago about how the felt cheated that Stones had not done a Brian Wilson and released 50 incomplete versions of one particular song. That's not a love of music, that's an illness.

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 13, 2012 17:05

rating stuff is over-rated.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 13, 2012 17:12

I really think that most of their output is underrated.
With a different policy of releasing the right/some other
songs of great albums as singles they would have had more
hits or more publicly known songs.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 13, 2012 18:02

TooTough
I really think that most of their output is underrated.

it's prolly their input that is overrated, then...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 13, 2012 23:33

Underrated

Infamy - Mean Disposition - Back Of My Hand - Feel On Baby 12' version - Thru and Thru

Overrated

Miss You (Live) - Streets of love (Both studio and live) - Rock and a Hard Place (Both studio and live) - Dance (Live)

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 23:34 by Honestman.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 14, 2012 00:05

.... can we do under-cooked and over-cooked next....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 14, 2012 00:22

Number 1 stupid thread for this year..........think BV should ban all post about Un&Overratted post

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 14, 2012 01:24

"Life is overrated." - Ray Davies

So is this thread. - Me

But Too Tight is underrated also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-14 01:25 by Zack.

Posted by: MidnightLurker ()
Date: January 14, 2012 04:52

overrated - You Got Me Rocking, Tumbling Dice, Oh No Not You Again, Let It Bleed
Underrated - Hand of Fate, Moonlight Mile, Let It Loose, Almost Hear You Sigh, You Don't Have to Mean It

Posted by: matsumoto33 ()
Date: January 14, 2012 06:04

MidnightLurker
overrated - You Got Me Rocking, Tumbling Dice, Oh No Not You Again, Let It Bleed
Underrated - Hand of Fate, Moonlight Mile, Let It Loose, Almost Hear You Sigh, You Don't Have to Mean It

Some interesting choices from the posters on this thread. I'm curious about some of them though; ML, as Let It Bleed was (as far as I know) never released as a single; hasn't been performed that often over the years (compared to the usual warhorses) and isn't widely known by the general public, what makes you feel it is overrated? and overrated by whom? the band? the fans? Not having a go at you, just genuinely want to hear your opinion...

Posted by: uduwudu ()
Date: January 14, 2012 10:03

So what is over rating and who does it? Who does the under rating? Never quite understood all this.

Now, I can never get enough of Beggars' Banquet - have I now over rated this? Same with the Stones' version of Everybody Need Somebody To Love. I am now going to over rate this. There are some Rolling Stones songs I have not mentioned (about nearly 400...) I have now under rated them.

winking smiley

I must admit that Time Waits For No one could do with more media presence as it clearly fits in with the Hotel California / Stairway great tune great guitar break type of number (70s phenomenon). Always thought a really long version would be ultra-rateable.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: January 14, 2012 10:28

Can we have an over-hated and under-hated thread?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-14 10:28 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 14, 2012 13:44

NICOS
Number 1 stupid thread for this year..........think BV should ban all post about Un&Overratted post

Or just the OT posts in various threads. cool smiley

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: January 14, 2012 13:49

Overrated:

All about you
Dead Flowers
Respectable
I got the blues

Underrated:

Thief in the night (+Infamy sort of)
Let me go
You gotta move (live 1975/1976)
Hey Negrita
Play with fire

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home