Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
The Rolling Stones Liberation Front
Posted by: Bob C. ()
Date: January 10, 2012 21:49

Anybody here a member?

[somethingelsereviews.com]

Re: The Rolling Stones Liberation Front
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 10, 2012 21:56

Bob C.
Anybody here a member?

[somethingelsereviews.com]

How do I join ?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 10, 2012 22:00

I guess they got their ideas here on this forum smiling smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: January 10, 2012 22:22

I don't think the physics of 'smaller venues' and 'lower ticket prices' can be worked out. Its a physically financial impossibility.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: January 10, 2012 22:38

Munichhilton
I don't think the physics of 'smaller venues' and 'lower ticket prices' can be worked out. Its a physically financial impossibility.

Sure it can.

Less overhead = lower ticket prices, unless they plan on keeping the difference.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 10, 2012 23:29

God, that reminds me of Bill Graham complaining about the Stones back in 1969. They never claimed to be anything but Capitalists.

Date: January 11, 2012 00:57

Do ya get any handouts?

London Street Kid
THE STONES RULE..OK!

Geez a Job I can do that!

Posted by: NoCode0680 ()
Date: January 11, 2012 01:17

Smaller venues will mean smaller supply of tickets, which leads to higher demand, and you'll be paying a whole lot more than $300 for those tickets. Most tickets are going to end up in the hands of brokers, who are going to milk those puppies for all they're worth.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2012 01:39

NoCode0680
Smaller venues will mean smaller supply of tickets, which leads to higher demand, and you'll be paying a whole lot more than $300 for those tickets. Most tickets are going to end up in the hands of brokers, who are going to milk those puppies for all they're worth.

Only if the artist allows them to.

Which is easy to avoid if youre playing theatres and exerting some form of control on the distribution and supply of tickets (ie 2-ticket limit, photo ID, nominating your other attendee (Tom Waits did this on his tour), issuing wristbands instead of physical tickets etc)

Its been done before at theatre shows (Licks etc) and can be done again. Easily.

Date: January 11, 2012 01:42

Munichhilton

Yes it can. 99.9% of performers seem to be able to exist (and profit) by playing theatre sized venues and charging 'normal' prices. Why not this band?

You're making it sound like the Stones will starve if they dont.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 11, 2012 08:40

Gazza
Munichhilton

Yes it can. 99.9% of performers seem to be able to exist (and profit) by playing theatre sized venues and charging 'normal' prices. Why not this band?

I've only recently made the jump to concluding that the Stones will probably
tour. But only because I can see all the dollar signs and glory attached
to a "farewell" stadium tour. But now to be asked to conclude that they might
do it in some saintly manner instead, steering reasonably priced ducats for
relatively intimate shows into the hands of the faithful...

Sorry, I simply don't have that good of an imagination.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 11, 2012 08:49

This has got to be some of our IORR people, too much similar to our threads. Probably just to get media attention. Our threads have more pull. No need to join anything with Liberation Front in the name. Too many violent groups with the similar name.....peace.

Date: January 11, 2012 08:57

Naturalust
No need to join anything with Liberation Front in the name. Too many violent groups with the similar name.....peace.

Yeah, they should've called themselves Occupy Wembley Stadium...

or maybe The Scented Jasmine Tea Party.

Date: January 11, 2012 11:47

superrevvy
Gazza
Munichhilton

I've only recently made the jump to concluding that the Stones will probably
tour. But only because I can see all the dollar signs and glory attached
to a "farewell" stadium tour. But now to be asked to conclude that they might
do it in some saintly manner instead, steering reasonably priced ducats for
relatively intimate shows into the hands of the faithful...

Sorry, I simply don't have that good of an imagination.

Never suggested they should or that it was likely. Merely that, if the will was there, it was doable and not a 'physical financial impossibility'.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: January 11, 2012 16:47

Somehow the line:
"20,000 grandmas wave their hankies in the air ... screaming it's not fair"
came to my mind.

Date: January 11, 2012 17:00

xke38
Somehow the line:
"20,000 grandmas wave their hankies in the air ... screaming it's not fair"
came to my mind.

that is so on-the-money, thanks.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: January 11, 2012 17:06

xke38
20,000 grandmas wave their hankies in the air

Good one

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Rolling Stones Face Fans’ Protest
Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: January 11, 2012 18:04

Just came upon this article on the classic rock magazine website. Thought it was a good article. Apologies if it's already been posted!

Rolling Stones Face Fans’ Protest

The Rolling Stones haven’t even announced a 50th anniversary tour for this year, but already they’ve incited the wrath of some fans.

Calling themselves as the Rolling Stones Liberation Front, some of them have got together to demand changes to the way the band tour. And if these demands aren’t met, they’re threatening non-violent, disruptive action to force home their campaign.

So what is it they want? Here are their six demands in full:

1) WE WANT SMALLER VENUES
We believe the time has passed for gargantuan mega-arena spectaculars; hardly anything good comes from these soulless shows. Scale it back. Throw away the lights, the inflatables, the fireworks and the catwalks. Keep it simple. Mick Jagger no longer needs to prove himself a physically fit older gentleman, we get it. The introduction of the considerably smaller B-stage set up in the middle of the venue at the end of 1994’s Voodoo Lounge Tour was a perfect step toward this philosophy. Ask any concert goer and they’ll tell you the best part of the last fifteen years of Rolling Stones shows has always been that time they play the three or four songs on the smaller stage. How much more of a hint do they need? We demand an alternative: establish a residency in theaters for up to seven days in every city on the perspective tour. You cannot tell us, in 2012, an organization as big and experienced as The Rolling Stones cannot pull off this task. Their fan is a dedicated one, almost to a fault and the band should not worry about loyalty, the people will come to them, it is all but assured. Leave your 400 tons of steel at home. Two guitars, bass, drums and a vocal mike, that’s it; the magic is in the music not in the lights. Cut the fat, less is more.

2) WE WANT LOWER TICKET PRICES
We believe it is unacceptable to charge up to $350 for a single ticket. The Rolling Stones do not need the money, but we need our money. We believe a band needing to charge $85 – $100 for upper balcony seats is a band no longer in touch with their fan base. We demand the ticket price for the next tour to be no more than $30 and without any and all service charges. The people have been burned many times before by useless and expensive incentives such as “fan club seats” and pre-sale tickets which only lead us to frustration and bad sightlines; experience has taught us there are no special seats for the proletariat no matter how many hoops we jump through. If you are within the first twenty rows on the main floor, a Rolling Stones show is an unparalleled experience. If you are anywhere behind row 30, the show is a drag, an expensive drag.

Like it or not, this has become a worker’s struggle; it’s the masses who fill a majority of the seats at The Rolling Stones concerts. Today it is only the bourgeoisie who can afford (or are given tickets to) seats near the front; fat cats, music critics and their sloppy, clueless friends who have only a passing interest in the band. We’ve been watching them for years from our positions high above; we watch with furrowed brows through binoculars as they stare up at the stage, in the glare of the lights, unmoving and jaded. This is an outrage. We demand the Rolling Stones to go back to regular, first come/first serve ticket sales, preferably at physical ticket outlets and not via the Internet. No promos, no guest lists.

3) WE WANT A SET LIST OVERHAUL
We believe with an immense back catalogue of songs to choose from, there is no reason why The Rolling Stones need to stick to roughly the same 30 songs for every tour; we refuse to sit through another airing of the played-out hits. Satellite radio has established the popularity of what is known in the industry as “deep cuts”, songs that were not necessarily “hits” in the usual sense of the word, but are fan favourites, none the less. The practice of playing uncommon songs was introduced by and large for the 1989 Steel Wheels Tour and we, the paying customers, were delighted. However, after twenty three years, further steps need to be taken. Therefore, we demand the following songs not to be played on the next tour: (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction, Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Women, Start Me Up, Sympathy For The Devil. Investigate your own catalogue; do not take us for granted.

4) WE WANT THE ELIMINATION OF THE HORN SECTION AND BACK-UP SINGERS
We believe The Rolling Stones have drifted too far from the true and basic rock ‘n roll aesthetic. It’s time to bring it back; back at least to the hugely successful 1978 Some Girls Tour. With all due respect to the honourable Bobby Keys, we believe the horn arrangements are needless and get in the way. We demand the removal of the brass section for the upcoming tour. Mr. Keys should only be allowed to perform on any songs from albums with release dates between the years 1970 – 1973. Additionally, with all due respect to the honourable Lisa Fischer, Bernard Fowler and Blondie Chaplin, the use of back-ups singers is now irrelevant and we demand their removal for the next tour.

5) WE WANT THE EXPULSION OF ALL OPENING ACTS
We believe the Rolling Stones have stopped challenging themselves. There was a time when they would bring an opening band talented enough to challenge the Stones themselves who, in turn, would have to step it up even further when it was time for them to take the stage. We ask you: how challenging can it be to follow Third Eye Blind? How challenging can it be to follow Johnny Lang or the goddamn Spin Doctors? Forcing an audience who just paid a lot of money to sit through such tripe is a rip-off as much as it is an insult. While there are in fact hard working bands today who could give the Rolling Stones a run for their money, they never seem to appear on the bill. Additionally, even if those bands did open the show, most of those in attendance won’t have the patience for them. Therefore, we demand The Rolling Stones forgo the use of opening acts on this last tour. Cut the fat, less is more.

6) WE WANT ALL FANS TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEMSELVES
We believe the fault also lies with fans willing to do the bidding of their favourite band, no matter the cost. How many suckers does it take to fill an auditorium? Ask The Rolling Stones. We are all suckers, victims of their apparent cynicism and money hungry ways. We urge all self-respecting Rolling Stones fans to heed our warnings and join our ranks. Don’t be taken for granted. We’ve bought the albums, we’ve bought the cassettes, we’ve bought the CDs, we’ve bought the DVDs, we’ve bought the Blu-rays, we’ve bought the re-masters, we’ve bought the elaborate re-issues, we’ve bought tickets to the movies, we’ve bought tickets to the concerts and we’ve bought anything with the tongue logo on it. We’ve bought it all, hook, line and sinker. Now it’s time The Rolling Stones give back or we will push back. Why give them more of our money and then settle for the usual? We won’t.

In time-honoured Monty Python’s Life Of Brian fashion, we await the arrival of the Popular Front For The Liberation Of The Rolling Stones…

Re: Rolling Stones Face Fans’ Protest
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 11, 2012 18:11

why no violence? i think they add a nice touch to songs like winter, moonlight mile, etc...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 11, 2012 18:22

As I see it:

1) small venues = even higher ticket prices, but yes, I'll pay it
2) I don't mind nose bleed sections, just keep em away from the FOS, that needs to be general admission, and at reasonable prices- PLEASE leave the SAL chicks as a permanent feature of the FOS section!
3) Set list is not a problem.
4) Absolutely keep the horns and BU singers. They do a great job. Just give a real piano to Chuck and DON'T use sampled congas.
5) Never ever saw an opening act at a Stones Concert (I more usefully stay at the bar drinkin)
6) I hope the movement does stand back so it will be easier to get the tix.

C

7) Place a bar directly in the FOS section, please

Posted by: behroez ()
Date: January 11, 2012 18:46

No horns????? What a nonsense! The horns are great what is "Out of Control" wthout horns?

Some hits are okay ofcourse but let's this time around play those hits that are hardly ever played like "Harlem Shuffle", "Too Much Blood", "Undercover of the Night". "It's All Over Now". "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby", "Lady Jane", "Dandelion", "Fool To Cry" etc. But for God sake drop "Jumping Jack Fash", "Honky Tonk" etc. those have been played since 1969 and been released in 20 different live versions allready!!!

Play some real swingers like "Slave" and "Hot Stuff", and some good obscure ballads like "Backstreet Girl" or "New Faces". Good Bluesy ones like "King Bee". Hell there is such an overwhelming rich catalogue out there from "Off the Hook" and "Yesterdy's Papers" to "Time Waits For no One" and "Laugh I Nearly Died", "Child of the Moon" etc etc.

I would think it must be a delight to gather up a set list with all those goodies. Why don't they?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:03

Sounds like one guy...that doesn't make a protest.

Starting with ticket prices, I hate parting with my hard earned cash as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to wait in a lineup overnight, or 'roll the dice' trying to get $30 tickets online for the floor, and then pay $1000 for scalpers tickets.

The resolution is charge what the market will bear, and DONATE the excess to charities. Even create a 'tax receipt' for any amount above say, $100 as a donation. That's getting creative. While we're at it, give a download code away to the 'next' Stones album for each ticket purchased.

They're not selling the albums anymore, may as well give the ticket buyer some value.

Keep the horns, keep the singers, we obviously need Blondie (unless we're getting MT) and the setlist change isn't going to happen for the last tour, so we need to get over it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:07

Ain't No Use In Crying... smoking smiley

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:16

Bring MT back!

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 11, 2012 19:58

Funny we all bitch about the Stones getting too much for their tickets.
(They don't make very much with record sales.)

No one bitches about baseball, basketball, football players, etc. making $$$$$$
to play a Game. Look at what it costs to go to just 1 pro game!

Anyway everyone hates paying high ticket prices, gas, food and yes even sporting events..
But i do think the Stones are worth it.
I also remember having to pay a scalper to get good seats..I won't camp out anymore..haha.
So paying the Stones $300.00 for good seats is better then paying a scalper $300.00 for $30.00 seats.

Sometimes you pay for what you get. Plus its not like the Stones tour every year.
This could really be the LAST TIME!!

Posted by: phd ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:34

I will never agree with the points listed because I wish stadium venues and warhorses.

Date: January 11, 2012 20:42

hot stuff
Funny we all bitch about the Stones getting too much for their tickets.
(They don't make very much with record sales.)

No one bitches about baseball, basketball, football players, etc. making $$$$$$
to play a Game.

They most certainly do.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:51

Has anyone actually found "The Rolling Stones Liberation Front"? I've looked on a number of the news sites reporting this article and they all just seem to be using the same document source without citing where it came from. I'm wondering if a journalist wrote & published it claiming that they got it from the RSLF and now other's are republishing what is basically a hoax. There just doesn't seem to be an actual RSLF that someone could join. Not that I'm interested in joining... Just one of those things that I see occasionally that make me wonder if I'm being played.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 11, 2012 20:52

Gazza--How true!!!

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: January 11, 2012 21:05

splitter

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home