Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Live Licks & SAL Reconsidered
Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 10:22

I thought it might be interesting to discuss some of the Stones latter day live albums since I've seen a lot of disparaging remarks here regarding them. Peronally I love Live Licks and totally agree with the review posted below from Rolling Stone. Sure, there a lot of repeats but the sound and performances are good and disc two was a dream come true for me: Finally - live versions of Monkey Man and CYHMK! Love it. One thought - I think the album may have been more effective if they'd mixed up the songs from discs 1 & 2 to create the flow of one long concert packed with rarely done songs rather than one disc of hits and one disc of lesser known songs, but hell - you make a playlist of it for your mp3 player anyway you want. I love it. This reviewer places it second to Ya Ya's and I agree! I'd also like to start some discussions of the other live albums in their own threads later on...

[www.rollingstone.com]
By David Fricke
November 25, 2004

I once asked guitarist Keith Richards why most Rolling Stones live records are such a drag, never as hot and vivid as the shows I've seen. Even the best of the lot, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!, was punched up with overdubs. "You gotta be there," he said with that pirate's laugh. "When you know you're recording, you can always guarantee that the Stones will not deliver." This two-disc spawn from their 2002-03 tour breaks that jinx. You may not need this if you own last year's set of full-show DVDs, Four Flicks, but Live Licks is the Stones' first live album since Ya-Ya's to earn a spot next to my best soundboard and broadcast boots. One good reason: a bright, hard mix that nails the Stones' matured vigor onstage, even in the warhorses packed on Disc One.

Richards' droning Telecaster clang opens "Street Fighting Man" like swordplay, and Mick Jagger sings the chorus at the top of his range with astounding strength. Charlie Watts pushes the beat in "It's Only Rock n' Roll" with pinpoint impatience; Ron Wood's lap-steel screams turn up the barn-dance delirium in "Happy." Twelve more good reasons: the covers and rarely aired album tracks on Disc Two. "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" was a highlight of every fortieth-anniversary show I saw — Watts peppering Richards' tumbling riff with gunfire rimshots; Jagger blowing sharp, modal harp. And "Worried About You," a forgotten slice of R&B melodrama from Tattoo You, driven to tears here by Wood's chugging guitar and Jagger's heated falsetto vocal, proves that the Stones, under the lights and at this advanced date, can still improve on even their best studio work.

Now how about Shine A Light? This review (edited for length) pretty much sums up my own feeling about the disc, although I think I would give it even a better review than this guy does.. For me, the opening numbers are especially hot: JJF, Shattered, She Was Hot with great Chuck Berry licks from Keith. All Down The Line is killer and finally a great live version of Dice. (The one on LYL was pretty crappy, IMO.) And great versions of Live With Me, etc. Even Satisfaction, which I'd grown weary of, sounds hot and recharged with raw, fresh energy. This is a great live album, IMO.

[www.amazon.com]
This review is from: Shine a Light - O.S.T. (Dlx) (Ocrd) (Audio CD)
The Rolling Stones seem to have recorded a score of live albums over time, some of which are terrific to listen to (think "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" or the intriguing "Four Flicks") and others of which are merely adequate. This, the sound track from Martin Scorsese's concert film, "Shine a Light," is in the former category. It is hard to believe that the Stones are in their 60s. This CD shows them with great energy. Nonetheless, this is a great amount of fun to listen to! 22 cuts (some not in the documentary, but added later on).

It begins with one of the great rock and roll riffs of all time, in "Jumping Jack Flash." And then it hits you--this song was a hit 40 years ago. How can guys as old as the Stones are still make this work? A great start to the CD. "Shattered" follows quickly. Again, the thought. This is a 30 year old song--and still performed with gusto and spirit.

The second CD provides some more rich music. This side begins with the creepy "Sympathy for the Devil," again well played and sung. A couple songs later, "Start Me Up." Another wall of guitar sound from Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards, underlain by the rhythm section, Watts and Darryl Jones. Watts' drumming is primal and creates a powerful base for vocals and guitars. The chunky guitar work of Wood and Richards is compelling. Then, "Brown Sugar." This was a hit well over 30 years ago, but it still has life as played by the band and its "friends," such as Bobby Keys. The audience sing along toward the end provides a sense of spontaneity. A classic Rolling Stones' moment. Then, the third in the trio of songs in this section of the concert--"Satisfaction." As soon as one hears the fuzz tone, the toes start tapping.
Some rarities show up in this concert, songs not often played by the Stones on their tours over the past couple decades, such as "Shine a Light," "You Got the Silver," and "Loving Cup." And one song worth mentioning, since it is another golden oldie--"I'm Free." This goes back to the early days of the Rolling Stones (originally released in 1965). A terrific blues rock song.

"I'm free to sing my song,
Even though it's out of time."

Anyhow, one of their finest live recordings. Age has had some impact. Jagger's voice isn't as agile as it used to be. But, nonetheless, this works and works well as a concert CD.

Re: Live Licks & SAL Reconsidered
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 9, 2012 11:06

Basically the problem with both relaeses is that they are totally unworthy on pure audio format (CD). DVD FOUR LICKS is a great document of Licks tour, and Scorcese's film does not need a soundtrack.

But the problems with those live recordings lie in somehere deeper. Try to capture the Stones 'magic' in concert is difficult an sich (but for example, BRUSSELS AFFAIR or LIVE IN TEXAS show that it is not so difficult if the band is on fire). But what goes these very late concerts, any documnent without footage is simply waste of time: the music without something to see just doesn't stand in its own. For a fan like me it is almost a drag to hear the weaknesses in their performances (especially re SHINE A LIGHT).

Well, to the mood of the thread I try to say something positive about them.

I agree with the ROLLING STONE fellow that LIVE LICKS maybe better than ever documenting the Rolling Stones live as it feels in concert. But this is only regards to the sound and feel of that tour. It captures better the feeling of LICKS TOUR than LOVE YOU LIVE the tours of 1975 and 1976 or STILL LIFE of 1981, and at least equals to YA-YA'S, FLASHPOINT and NO SECURITY in that sense. So it is better document than most of their official live records. (Conceptually it is FLASHPOINT and NO SECURITY backed together - if this a good or bad point, I don't know; the band surely aren't any better).

Something positive about SHINE A LIGHT? Sorry, cannot. It revails way too much, and I refuse to listen the damn thing. I don't need that clear document of how far The Stones is from the band I love and admire so much. A musical fake.

But this is just me. For me the "celebrational years and tours" we have now lived two decades goes in the following formula: I love being in the concert. I like seeing the footage of the concert. But I don't like just hearing the performance without being there or seeing the footage. I think the pure audio - bootleg, official relesae - hasn't any artistic value anymore.

- Doxa

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 9, 2012 11:12

>But I don't like just hearing the performance without being there or seeing the footage.

I totally disagree -- I am certain I will play the SG: LIVE IN TX cd more frequently than I will sit down to watch the movie (as much as I love it).

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 9, 2012 11:15

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 9, 2012 11:26

Glam Descendant
>But I don't like just hearing the performance without being there or seeing the footage.

I totally disagree -- I am certain I will play the SG: LIVE IN TX cd more frequently than I will sit down to watch the movie (as much as I love it).

You misunderstood me. I was talking only about Vegas years here (I have a nicer term for them these days: "Celebrational years and tours"grinning smiley) Anything from the days when they were a living and breathing, evolving band (1962-1982) is a thrill to hear, and I am all ears (and before DandelionPowderman or anyone else comes with counter-examples, there are of course great pure audio moments since 1989 too, but taking the amount of same sounding similar stuff we have since then, it is really expectional to make any difference.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 11:33 by Doxa.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: January 9, 2012 12:00

I pretty much agree with Doxa. There is really nothing on LIVE LICKS or SHINE A LIGHT that really transcends into anything special over time. Granted LIVE LICKS does seem to have a harder mix than many of the other Stones post GET YER YA YAS OUT! albums, which aids it immeasureably in sounding a little tougher, more rock 'n' roll, so to speak. The guitars seem a little more upfront, and as a whole it seems to have a little more bite than, say, the slicker sounding FLASHPOINT. However, if you really focus on the performances themselves and including Jagger's vocals, the album really does fail to emulate the Stones when they were at their peak. The album is just a better presented representation of the Stones in 2002/2003, than some of the more recent efforts. SHINE A LIGHT, however, really doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, as far as i'm concerned. It really does represent the Stones on autopilot, and limping on, so to speak, with another gig, without much with regards to sounding inspired. Visually it may seem high energy for much of the time, but it is truly the Stones going through the motions, which is a shame, considering the concert's high profile cinematic status. This is, i feel, where the Stones, and especially Jagger, seem completely out of touch with what makes a Stones performance so special. Jagger concentrates on the visual - the high energy physical display - but vocally he's pretty unbearable for much of the time.

Date: January 9, 2012 12:03

Edward Twining
I pretty much agree with Doxa. There is really nothing on LIVE LICKS or SHINE A LIGHT that really transcends into anything special over time. Granted LIVE LICKS does seem to have a harder mix than many of the other Stones post GET YER YA YAS OUT! albums, which aids it immeasureably in sounding a little tougher, more rock 'n' roll, so to speak. The guitars seem a little more upfront, and as a whole it seems to have a little more bite than, say, the slicker sounding FLASHPOINT. However, if you really focus on the performances themselves and including Jagger's vocals, the album really does fail to emulate the Stones when they were at their peak. The album is just a better presented representation of the Stones in 2002/2003, than some of the more recent efforts. SHINE A LIGHT, however, really doesn't stand up to any kind of scrutiny, as far as i'm concerned. It really does represent the Stones on autopilot, and limping on, so to speak, with another gig, without much with regards to sounding inspired. Visually it may seem high energy for much of the time, but it is truly the Stones going through the motions, which is a shame, considering the concert's high profile cinematic status. This is, i feel, where the Stones, and especially Jagger, seem completely out of touch with what makes a Stones performance so special. Jagger concentrates on the visual - the high energy physical display - but vocally he's pretty unbearable for much of the time.

Out Of Control?

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 9, 2012 12:20

Live Licks was BADLY edited, what happened on Rocks Off is just a shame and I still am wondering why this horrible edit has not be corrected on re-releases.

SAL is an just an addition to my collection, but a record I only listened to a very few times.

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Date: January 9, 2012 12:26

>Rocks Off is just a shame and I still am wondering why this horrible edit has not be corrected on re-releases.

How could it be corrected? Charlie @#$%& up and it was edited out.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 9, 2012 12:27

For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction.

So, at the end of the day, it is only a matter of taste.

Take the guitar sound of SAl (something that has nothing to do with the actual performance), just to make 1 example of how things are so extremely subjective.

The sound of a vintage Gibson through a vintage Twin is what normally thousands of guitarists around the world praise as tonal nirvana.

And, as a matter of fact, if you ask me, I can only confirm that guitar sound can't get any better than what you get on SAL.

Needless to say, many here slaughter even Keith's tone in SAL ...

C

Date: January 9, 2012 12:37

Glam Descendant
>Rocks Off is just a shame and I still am wondering why this horrible edit has not be corrected on re-releases.

The options were numerous : take a version recorded at another show, pick another song...
This decision sshould've been taken at the beginning of the work on this projetc. Which brings us to a sad conclusion : the Stones probably didn't supervise the release at all, and nobody had the balls to say that this edit wasn't suitable for a release of the greatest rock n roll band in the world.

Date: January 9, 2012 12:43

liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction....

C

Nice to know I'm not the only one....smileys with beer

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: January 9, 2012 12:48

Live Licks is interesting as it offers a lot of rare live versions of classics Stones. First CD is somehow redundant but still has great versions. Really dig the opening tracks flow (Brown Sugar/Street Fighting Man/Paint It Black).

As for Shine A Light I consider it as one of their best live albums. This is the Stones at their best. Playing straightforward rock 'n roll.
First the choice of songs makes it a stand out among other live albums. A lot of Some Girls tracks (Shattered, Far Away Eyes, Some Girls, Just My Imagination), some rarely played songs (She Was Hot, Loving Cup, You Got The Silver, Shine A Light...), a couple of "warhorses" thrown in (Start Me Up, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Sympathy...) and an outstanding cover with Buddy Guy. A very well balanced set list actually.
Then the band plays extremely well and tight. You can feel how everyone's focused on every song. For example the live rendition of She Was Hot is a true masterpiece.
Also it's very well mixed. Every instrument is clearly audible, and particularly guitars. I always find amazing on Sympathy For The Devil the moment when guitars start to play together.
My only complaint about Shine A Light would be the strange addition of "bonus tracks" at the end of disc 2. I don't think it adds much to the album. They should have been released as b-sides on singles. Actually the single disc version (released in US) works maybe better than the 2 discs version.

Date: January 9, 2012 12:57

kowalski
Live Licks is interesting as it offers a lot of rare live versions of classics Stones. First CD is somehow redundant but still has great versions. Really dig the opening tracks flow (Brown Sugar/Street Fighting Man/Paint It Black).

As for Shine A Light I consider it as one of their best live albums. This is the Stones at their best. Playing straightforward rock 'n roll.
First the choice of songs makes it a stand out among other live albums. A lot of Some Girls tracks (Shattered, Far Away Eyes, Some Girls, Just My Imagination), some rarely played songs (She Was Hot, Loving Cup, You Got The Silver, Shine A Light...), a couple of "warhorses" thrown in (Start Me Up, Jumping Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, Sympathy...) and an outstanding cover with Buddy Guy. A very well balanced set list actually.
Then the band plays extremely well and tight. You can feel how everyone's focused on every song. For example the live rendition of She Was Hot is a true masterpiece.
Also it's very well mixed. Every instrument is clearly audible, and particularly guitars. I always find amazing on Sympathy For The Devil the moment when guitars start to play together.
My only complaint about Shine A Light would be the strange addition of "bonus tracks" at the end of disc 2. I don't think it adds much to the album. They should have been released as b-sides on singles. Actually the single disc version (released in US) works maybe better than the 2 discs version.

Wow. Another person sees the greatness of these latter day live albums. I'm listening to SAL right now, pumped up LOUD with headphones and I am baffled how anyone can listen to this and not be rocked. Kudos to those who have not become too jaded to appreciate the latter day Rolling Stones! smileys with beer

Date: January 9, 2012 13:02

Live Licks would have been a very interesting release, but the tracks had already been released on Four Flicks (without THE bad edit!). That made it kinda superflous for me.

Keith's Nearness Of You is worth the album alone, though. I'll take this one over any 1972/73/75/76/78-Happy anyday.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 9, 2012 13:05

stonesdan60
liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction....

C

Nice to know I'm not the only one....smileys with beer

SAL apology is my second job on this site ...

[www.iorr.org]

C

Date: January 9, 2012 13:06

DandelionPowderman
Live Licks would have been a very interesting release, but the tracks had already been released on Four Flicks (without THE bad edit!). That made it kinda superflous for me.

I don't care much about videos or dvd's. I want to listen to the Stones on records. That's why I like their latter days live albums.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:07

>but the tracks had already been released on Four Flicks

"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" is unique to LL, *not* the version on FF.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 13:08

Yeah, I guess I have a different take on the whole decline of the band, the Vegas act, and all the other discussions about The Stones recent stuff. It has been written before, but I often think of The Stones like I thought of Muddy, Howlin, Bo... for instance the album Fathers and Sons. The Stones are who they are now, and I still find it interesting, fun, and rewarding to listen to. Frankly, the nadir of live albums for me, was Still Life. Save for Going to a Go Go and Under My Thumb, it is one of the most depressing representations of the band live I can think of. But I digress. No Security, Live Licks, and SAL all have some fine moments, and on a whole are a cool listening experience. Yes, it is different from Brussels, and yes, they sound like a different band. And they are. They are older, and have different ideas about how to present and perform their music. I still find it thrilling. But it isn't always easy too. Of course there are missfires, and times that it seems a bit contrived. And you know what, I press skip.
No Security has some fantastic moments! The much derided YGMR is a wonderful opening. Hard hitting, with a great propulsive drum that gets Ronnie's slide really working. It is rock and roll! A great version of Gimme Shelter, and Flip the Switch. A great modern day rocker with erie backing vocals. Morbid and some fantastic riffs. I don't know, but I guess I hear a really hard ass opening to a live album! Then Memory Motel is butchered by Dave Matthews. Sad. But you know what? I deleted it and put in another version from that tour with just The Stones. But after that travesty the album barrels through some fantastic performances. Then there is Live Licks. First, to get it out of the way. The travesty, the edit of Rocks Off. Yeah, it sucks, but you know what, if you can just get past it, Rocks Off is fantastic. One of the better live versions I have heard. And most of Live Licks gives me that experience. Some very solid versions with loud guitars. Can't You Hear Me Knocking?? Nice. The version of Beast of Burden, That's How Strong My Love is, Worried About You... Whew! Sounds good to me! And a simply stunning, picture perfect Monkey Man.
And then you have Shine a Light. A lot of folks are frustrated that this film wasn't made 30 years ago. But it would have been a different film, this is a film of a band still touring and playing the music they wrote, and love. And what you get is a very beautifully filmed concert of a band that has weathered rafts of shit, personal tragedies, and life in the lime light, and now they are old men that still get a buzz out of getting on that stage and performing. Bum notes? Yeah. So? Doesn't need to ruin the entire gig. Look old? Yeah, because they are, and it is cool. Contrived? Yes, in parts, but you know, it is the show isn't it?
So, I guess it is the old adage, is the glass half empty or is it half full? I am glad to have choices of live albums from a band I love. So lets hope they do some shows soon! And put out another live album.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:17

stonesdan60

Wow. Another person sees the greatness of these latter day live albums. I'm listening to SAL right now, pumped up LOUD with headphones and I am baffled how anyone can listen to this and not be rocked. Kudos to those who have not become too jaded to appreciate the latter day Rolling Stones! smileys with beer

That's the way I like to listen to it. Just focus on the guitars waving and you'll get an idea of what makes the Stones music so unique...

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 9, 2012 13:22

Glam Descendant

These days it's incredibly simple to fly a section in from another show.

Date: January 9, 2012 13:23

Glam Descendant
>but the tracks had already been released on Four Flicks

"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" is unique to LL, *not* the version on FF.

Same with CYHMK, I think.

If there weren't any other songs different from Four Flicks, this release would have been equal to fraud, imo winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 13:25 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 9, 2012 14:24

liddas
For me, the SAL soundtrack is simply superb. Not one of their best performances, fair enough, but it has lots of soul and it grooves like a bitch. I can easily listen to Ya Ya, Brussells, Texas AND SaL all in a row, and receive from all of them exactly the same satisfaction.

So, at the end of the day, it is only a matter of taste.

Take the guitar sound of SAl (something that has nothing to do with the actual performance), just to make 1 example of how things are so extremely subjective.

The sound of a vintage Gibson through a vintage Twin is what normally thousands of guitarists around the world praise as tonal nirvana.

And, as a matter of fact, if you ask me, I can only confirm that guitar sound can't get any better than what you get on SAL.

Needless to say, many here slaughter even Keith's tone in SAL ...

C

That's pretty much where I am too.
I guess I'm easy to please . I don't feel a strong need to criticise this that and other about this or that live show.
Sure, they're not all brilliant performances...But I just love the SOUND of this band.
Always have., Always will. A Big glorious ball of grooving noise.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: January 9, 2012 14:25

Glam Descendant
"Everybody Needs Somebody To Love" is unique to LL, *not* the version on FF

The version on Live Licks is unique, because it is edited in a way they've never played it.

The horrible slaughter of Rocks Off kept me from playing Live Licks as an album. It takes more
then five songs to recover from the pain I feel after hearing Rocks Off. I have copied most
other songs on my hard disk, and play them randomly. I agree with those who say that most of
the songs are rocking just fine.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: January 9, 2012 15:10

Start Me Up and Gimme Shelter from MSG are NOT on Four Flicks
CYHMK and Everybody Needs Somebody also aren't featured on the DVD Box Set

That makes 4 "exclusive" tracks for Live Licks

Still, a video excerpt of Start Me Up from MSG was featured on a Promo DVD from Best Buy to be seen here

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 15:10 by Doc.

Date: January 9, 2012 16:52

Glam Descendant

Bizarre, isn't it, that they only used THAT recording. Lazy mofos.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:02

....those 2 albums, Live Licks and Shine A Light are the only 2 Rolling Stones albums I still don't have, nor do I want to hear them

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:14

Erik_Snow
....those 2 albums, Live Licks and Shine A Light are the only 2 Rolling Stones albums I still don't have, nor do I want to hear them

my recommendation, then, would be to not get them. much easier to not hear them that way.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: January 9, 2012 17:57

On the second CD of Live Licks there are some interesting versions of well known songs (CYHMK, Monkey Man, Neighbours) and some interesting new tracks (Nearness of You, Rock Me Baby). The edit of Rocks Off is impertinent in fact (that they didn't fix it on the later editions is a even greater impertinence), but in general this second CD is one of the better late live albums.

The first CD contains so called all time greats but played in an atmosphere without any vitality and energy, IORR is a mess, the Jagger overdubs are even worse than on Love You Live (Brown Sugar - horrible), the Gimme Shelter version is 6.50 minutes too long, Angie is contaminated by an annoying tinkling of Chuck Leavell, HTW with Sheryl Crow is no revelation at all, Satisfaction is a sad self-caricature, any cover band would do it better and so on. The sound quality is ridiculous in general. I think CD 1 is the weakest live document of Stones music of all time (on "Got Live You Want It" we have some energy at least), a present to your best enemy.

The ambience of SAL is disgusting (elder statesmen + cheerleaders in the first row, the Kim-Jong-Un-arrangement I would say, and last not least the pavonine Scorsese), in the beginning there is a lack of concentration (on All Down the Line and She's So Hot there are two bands at least making their own music), Shattered is great, with Loving Cup there is an increasing of quality with a peak of Some Girls, Champagner and Reefer, Just My Imagination and Faraway Eyes. CD 2 is rather an overall disappointment (SFTD: Keith, what are you doing on your guitar?), only the additional tracks like I'm Free, Paint It Black, Shine A Light are quite good. Live with Me is full of vitality and one of the best versions I know.

My feelings about LL and SAL: Mixed Emotions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 18:26 by RobertJohnson.

Date: January 9, 2012 17:59

I like LIVE LICKS, more so Disc 2 than Disc 1 song wise, and the mix/sound is fantastic. Disc 1 is the tired songs. Start Me Up? Ugggggh. It's barely as good as the version on STILL LIFE and that's pretty bad. At least Brown Sugar and Street Fighting Man, regardless of the editing slaughter they both got, are really good. They (who?) really should've put the MSG version of SFM on instead of the Twickenham version - then the beginning part wouldn't have needed to be edited to get the screw up out of it, especially considering they had already fixed the screw up in the MSG version for the DVD release. And yet they used the MSG version of IORR. That performance of SFM from MSG is easily the second best, in terms of having it on disc somehow, after YA-YA'S. They were really clicking on that tune and that show too.

Happy is hilarious. Keith slurgs his way through the intro riffing. That is some interesting riffing he does. It has its moments of sounding like the bottom is going to fall out but somehow it hangs on.

Overall Disc 1 could've used better songs. That version of HTW is a dud. Gimme Shelter makes no sense especially with having a much better version just been released on NO SECURITY. Song choices on this disc obviously going for the FM classic rock Stones fans.

Disc 2, even though it has three covers they could've left off and used originals instead, and I get why they did that, is actually outstanding. The fact that they played these songs and put them on here is what I find interesting. OK so Neighbours could've been a bit more inspired and did it really need a guitar overdub for half the song? It's way different than the LP version as well as how they did it on the 1981/82 tours.

Rocks Off - they edited the screw up? WHY? That's stupid. It's not that bad and it's not necessarily Charlie either.

SHINE A LIGHT has some interesting things on it in theory but overall it's quite boring and bad because the band is boring and it has not aged well for me. JJF, aside from having the intro ruined by Marty, is aggressive sounding yet it's still the same boring version they've been doing for years. Mick sounds ridiculous. In Shattered the string section basically checked out during the bridge. Why did they elect to not play the song? She Was Hot, as nice as it is to hear it live, seems as if the band just learned it and Mick isn't convinced by any of it. It lacks conviction. Which is strange seeing that in recent years the unusual songs they've put into the set lists have been played with interest and conviction (Monkey Man is a great example). Tears Go By is nice seeing that, in the movie anyway, it comes out of nowhere and reveals something about them that is lost in all the bigness - that they can still be a simple little band about songs. Some Girls is decent. Imagination is OK and Mick even does the 'She doesn't fukcing know' just like he did in 1978, which is funny. You Got The Silver would be really nice if someone actually sang it; Keith sounds like he's talking to someone in a mocking tone.

Disc 2 is simply a mess. Whoever thought it was a good idea to put Connection, Little T&A and I'm Free on should be fired. I had to look it up because I deleted it from my player because SFTD, Connection, Little T&A and I'm Free made it unbearable to have on.

Did they really have to have that commentary from Marty about Mick before SFTD? Talk about needing a hack edit job - they should've edited out Keith's soloing.

I'm really glad LIVE IN TEXAS is out on record. It makes this one, easily their worst live release, that much easier to forget/ignore.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home