Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill Wyman's Monkey Grip
Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 10, 2012 16:56

LeonidP
i actually own Bill's Green Ice soundtrack LP - it has some nice numbers on it, and a very different & odd mix of Je Suis Un Rock Star.

yeah, i've got that lp somewhere...haven't listened to it in eons. also, his '82 album...but i remember that having some decent/catchy tunes...although the production on it is waaaay over the top...

1 Ride on Baby
2 New Fashion
3 Nuclear Reactions
4 Visions
5 Jump Up
6 Come Back Suzanne
7 Rio de Janeiro
8 Girls
9 Seventeen
10 (Si, Si) Je Suis un Rock Star

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-10 16:57 by StonesTod.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 11, 2012 07:50

StonesTod
LeonidP
i actually own Bill's Green Ice soundtrack LP - it has some nice numbers on it, and a very different & odd mix of Je Suis Un Rock Star.

yeah, i've got that lp somewhere...haven't listened to it in eons. also, his '82 album...but i remember that having some decent/catchy tunes...although the production on it is waaaay over the top...

1 Ride on Baby
2 New Fashion
3 Nuclear Reactions
4 Visions
5 Jump Up
6 Come Back Suzanne
7 Rio de Janeiro
8 Girls
9 Seventeen
10 (Si, Si) Je Suis un Rock Star

Bill got too poppy for my taste on this one, but I do like Visions a lot, beautiful melodic guitar!

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 11, 2012 08:06

Because you just can't link to this too many times.

And because it's also his best ever vocal performance.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 11, 2012 08:28

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Hillside Blues ()
Date: January 11, 2012 15:23

Any fans of "What A Blow"? It's actually one of my favorite tracks by anyone. I agree he has week vocals in general but on that one it somehow works. It has some kind of dreamy quality to it and it's nothing like I've ever heard.

That song just hit me right from the start when I first heard it in 2006 and I still love it.

Date: January 11, 2012 17:00

Hillside Blues
Any fans of "What A Blow"? It's actually one of my favorite tracks by anyone. I agree he has week vocals in general but on that one it somehow works. It has some kind of dreamy quality to it and it's nothing like I've ever heard.

That song just hit me right from the start when I first heard it in 2006 and I still love it.

love the tune. and he does not have week vocals; he has them almost daily, but they're coooooooool.....

Date: January 11, 2012 17:02

Hillside Blues

I think the whole album is great, but if I had to pick a fav it would be What A Blow. As annoying as Bill's voice is, it actually works well w/ the country'ish flavor to some of these tracks.

Date: January 11, 2012 17:12

i'll take bill's "annoying voice" anyday over mick's overly-mannered vocal "stylings."

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 11, 2012 17:54

A nice idea would to guess which song of his solo albums would have replaced which Jagger/Richards song if Bill had been in the same position as John Entwstle - maybe he was close to that before by In Another Land and Downtown Suzie.

Date: January 11, 2012 17:56

JJHMick
A nice idea would to guess which song of his solo albums would have replaced which Jagger/Richards song if Bill had been in the same position as John Entwstle - maybe he was close to that before by In Another Land and Downtown Suzie.

you go first

Date: January 11, 2012 18:53

StonesTod
i'll take bill's "annoying voice" anyday over mick's overly-mannered vocal "stylings."

Mick is clearly one of the greatest 'rock' vocalists of all time (i would give edges to Plant, Cornell, & maybe Lennon ... yes, even if you count Elvis, I would take Mick over him any day), whereas Bill might make the top 10,000.

Posted by: Georges ()
Date: January 11, 2012 18:53

I like Bill Wyman's Monkey Grip.
Actually, I like Bill Wyman's music. thumbs up

Date: January 11, 2012 18:55

LeonidP
StonesTod

Mick is clearly one of the greatest 'rock' vocalists of all time

yeah, he WAS...until he started thinking about it...or something...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 12, 2012 19:29

Seriously....? If someone else, not Wyman, had released these records, you would be singing a different tune. All of it sucks. Its soft rock, and bad soft rock at that. Embarrassing as a Stones fan. Did someone on here actually say they preferred Wyman's vocals to Jagger's??? I will take Mick's screaming on Dirty Work over any of this junk. Indian Girl, Back to Zero and Winning Ugly are master compositions compared to anything Wyman has released.

Seriously, if Jimmy Buffett released these albums you'd all be panning it as 3rd rate soft rock.

Date: January 12, 2012 19:35

flacnvinyl
. Did someone on here actually say they preferred Wyman's vocals to Jagger's???

that was me. we can settle this here or we can take it out back.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 12, 2012 20:42

Good players.
Still a terrible record with bad singing. Some of it sounds like Gilbert O'Sullivan . .

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 12, 2012 20:46

Bill Wyman "Best of" is one of the worst CDs I have.

Date: January 12, 2012 20:55

CousinC
Good players.
Still a terrible record with bad singing. Some of it sounds like Gilbert O'Sullivan . .

well, that prolly explains my love for it...love gilbert!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: January 12, 2012 21:42

JJHMick

I always thought Mick should have sung "No More Foolin'" from Stone Alone. Would have fit right in Black and Blue, which came out the same year, and he could have done it in the "Fat Albert" voice he used at the end of "Hand of Fate" and during "Midnight Rambler" on the '75 tour.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 13, 2012 07:06

StonesTod
flacnvinyl

Well you can start by buying me a beer and apologizing. Then we can watch Live in Texas and forget this thread ever existed.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 13, 2012 07:21

Ok I am not fond of Mr. Wymans solo stuff that i've heard. Just saw the record label above. I guessing the song "pussy" is not about cats? wtf? peace.

Date: January 13, 2012 14:11

flacnvinyl
StonesTod
flacnvinyl

Well you can start by buying me a beer and apologizing. Then we can watch Live in Texas and forget this thread ever existed.

real men don't settle disputes like that. i wouldn't have any way of know what they actually do, but i know that's not it.

Date: January 13, 2012 16:24

flacnvinyl
Seriously....? If someone else, not Wyman, had released these records, you would be singing a different tune. All of it sucks. Its soft rock, and bad soft rock at that. Embarrassing as a Stones fan...

Well clearly Bill was trying not to do a Stones record. I think all the songs are really good, especially the country'ish ones - but even songs like I Wanna Get Me A Gun & Mighty Fine Time have a great groove, w/ nice underlying bass (not even sure if bill plays the bass on his album). Many Stones fans seem to enjoy it so its a stretch to say it is Embarrassing -- certainly not nearly as embarrassing as the Dirty Work album.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: January 13, 2012 16:37

Only true die hard Stones freaks like myself will like this album..
Sadly Bill can't sing and really makes it hard to listen to this album...

Funny when it was released i knew NEVER let my friends listen to it...
They laugh me out of the room.

I think if Bill re-released it with a different singer it would do well..

Anyway it was a fun album and the very best he has ever done.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: January 13, 2012 16:43

StonesTod
CousinC
Good players.

well, that prolly explains my love for it...love gilbert!

lol Me too. But he's the real Gilbert . .

Date: January 13, 2012 16:47

LeonidP
flacnvinyl
Seriously....? If someone else, not Wyman, had released these records, you would be singing a different tune. All of it sucks. Its soft rock, and bad soft rock at that. Embarrassing as a Stones fan...

Well clearly Bill was trying not to do a Stones record. I think all the songs are really good, especially the country'ish ones - but even songs like I Wanna Get Me A Gun & Mighty Fine Time have a great groove, w/ nice underlying bass (not even sure if bill plays the bass on his album). Many Stones fans seem to enjoy it so its a stretch to say it is Embarrassing -- certainly not nearly as embarrassing as the Dirty Work album.

i think it's reasonable to suggest that many of us would not have been incented to seek out an album like this had some anonymous musician put it out...but i still play these records of bill's, not because bill was the stones' bass player, but because i enjoy the music. and, yeah, bill plays bass on this album...he's the only one who does, in fact. great stuff. we should discuss Stone Alone next....another fun album.

Date: January 13, 2012 21:14

Stone Alone

01. Quarter to Three
02. Gimme Just One Chance
03. Soul Satisfying
04. Apache Woman
05. Every Sixty Seconds
06. Get It On
07. Feet
08. Peanut Butter Time
09. Wine and Wimmen
10. If You Wanna Be Happy
11. What's the Point
12. No More Foolin'

Another that I like a lot. Bill obviously went with a more soulful approach w/ this one, and I think it worked very well. Looking thru the list, I think I like every track (well, maybe not the Wanna Be Happy track, but I think i hate that track by any artist). My favs are Apache Woman, Every 60 seconds, & Feet.

Date: January 13, 2012 21:17

LeonidP
Stone Alone

01. Quarter to Three
02. Gimme Just One Chance
03. Soul Satisfying
04. Apache Woman
05. Every Sixty Seconds
06. Get It On
07. Feet
08. Peanut Butter Time
09. Wine and Wimmen
10. If You Wanna Be Happy
11. What's the Point
12. No More Foolin'

Another that I like a lot. Bill obviously went with a more soulful approach w/ this one, and I think it worked very well. Looking thru the list, I think I like every track (well, maybe not the Wanna Be Happy track, but I think i hate that track by any artist). My favs are Apache Woman, Every 60 seconds, & Feet.

i like every track, including and ESPECIALLY the wanna be happy cover...such a cool little ditty. that does it, it's gonna be an all-wyman, all-day-and-night weekend. wyman wyman wyman? wynot, man!!!

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: January 13, 2012 22:52

I don't care what you say. The catch of White Lightnin' is on my mind all the time. In a good way. And the session guitars are great! drinking smiley It sure isn't anything that would come near the Stones output ofcourse. But I think that's what that album is all about..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-13 22:54 by DiscoVolante.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1592
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home