Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Did the Beatles sell more records than the Stones & Zep put together?
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 7, 2012 20:43

meekscary has come out from hiding. Maybe the family was looking for him after betting on the "done deal" story...? Maybe?

No use Gazza, like trying to use a rock to clean up water. Nothing gets in.

Posted by: stonescrow ()
Date: January 7, 2012 22:55

NoCode0680
NICOS
NoCode0680
This is not surprising. And has been stated, record sales do not reflect on quality of music. The Beatles just have a broader appeal than The Stones or Zep. Not saying The Beatles are better, they just have a much wider demographic, where Zeppelin and The Stones mainly appeal to Rock and Roll fans.

Your completely right that record sales has nothing to do with quality, except for the BEATLES.

Well, I didn't mean to say The Beatles didn't make quality music, I just mean that higher record sales can't really be used as a measuring stick. They all made fantastic music, but the reason The Beatles are the giants they are, and outsold these other bands, is more a testament to their wide appeal.

Well stated.

Date: January 7, 2012 23:05

whitem8
brianwalker
NICOS
Beatles and POP

God I hate this argument. Of course the Beatles are mainly a pop band. The great majority of things they did were pop tunes. Finding a few examples of rock songs doesn]'t change the fact thatn they are mainly a pop band. How many times do people have to try and deny it. Its very very annoying.

If Mles Davis did a few rock songs you could still safety call him a jazz musician because thats what he mainly did. Simple enough.

Both the Rolling Stones and Beatles classified themselves on many occasions as Pop bands. Pop in the sixties meant POPULAR. And they are both Rock and Roll bands. Simple, why does it have to be an argument?

Probably because for every one that says as you have said there is one who says just the opposite. Is there a rock 'n roll dictionary so we can sort this out once and for all? I could accept either side if we had some concrete definition to go with.

Date: January 7, 2012 23:08

whitem8
Simple things for a simple mind. You can see many times in interviews with Mick in the 60's and other rock stars where they refer to themselves as pop stars. In England, pop was a reference to popular music. But again, what's the point of arguing over a label when you are talking more about personal taste and not understanding. As stated in many dictionaries:

pop 2
adjective [ attrib. ]
1 of or relating to commercial popular music : a pop star | a pop group.
• of, denoting, or relating to pop art.

As a voracious reader of music literature, again pop is often used to describe all music that had commercial success and wide exposure to large audiences. As a label, there are many sub genres that make up pop.

OK. I missed this. So we do have a definition.

Date: January 7, 2012 23:17

All in all it's still a shame the Stones ranked 13th.

Date: January 7, 2012 23:24

steel driving hammer

Well, if it's any consolation we will soon be recognized as The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time.

Date: January 7, 2012 23:32

stonescrow
steel driving hammer

Well, if it's any consolation we will soon be recognized as The Greatest Rock 'N Roll Band Of All Time.

I already think that.

I just wan't the World to believe that too.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 7, 2012 23:39

stonescrow
steel driving hammer

plural possesive? what gives stonescrow, are you on the payroll? peace.

Posted by: JR64 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 00:03

music is not about who is selling most or how much....

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 8, 2012 20:32

Sales are in fact important. I think that pop acts like the Beatles, Abba, Elton, Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, etc., are popular because they appeal to a wide range of listeners. Nothing wrong with that.

I like Abbey Road and Super Trouper, and I like Crocodile Rock, Dancing Queen, Penny Lane, Let It Be and the Titanic theme.

But, does ANYTHING done by any of those pop groups sound as good as Sticky Fingers does today? Of course not.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:01

steel driving hammer
stonescrow
steel driving hammer

I already think that.

I just wan't the World to believe that too.

I will be satisfied with a group of fair and unbiased rock 'n roll historians, journalists, musicians, etc. voting them #1. Anyone not voting for them at the end of 2013 to my mind is obviously biased. I love the Beatles as much as the Stones, but fair is fair.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:05

Naturalust
stonescrow
steel driving hammer

plural possesive? what gives stonescrow, are you on the payroll? peace.

I wish.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:09

JR64
music is not about who is selling most or how much....

Nor is it just about hiding out in a studio making music. It's also about putting your "ass on the line" in a live environment and delivering the goods. When you can do that for 50 years and do it successfully then you have done something.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:32

stonescrow

Nor is it just about hiding out in a studio making music. It's also about putting your "ass on the line" in a live environment and delivering the goods. When you can do that for 50 years and do it successfully then you have done something.

Who has done this?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 8, 2012 21:33

rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

The Drifters and The Temptations?

Date: January 8, 2012 21:38

stonescrow
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Yeah, those early Beetels albums, the ones where they're covering R&B and Chuck Berry and all that blistering rock'n'roll shit? SUCKS. Who'd want to listen to some band from England do that shit? Horrible. Bloody awful. Amazing anyone liked it at all.

Uh huh. Yeaaaaahhhhh, the Stones NEVER did anything like that.

What's amazing is that there are those that wouldn't want to experience it all over again. Beatlemania, that is.smiling smiley

Not sure why anyone would - it wasn't about the MUSIC.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:41

NoCode0680
NICOS
NoCode0680
This is not surprising. And has been stated, record sales do not reflect on quality of music. The Beatles just have a broader appeal than The Stones or Zep. Not saying The Beatles are better, they just have a much wider demographic, where Zeppelin and The Stones mainly appeal to Rock and Roll fans.

Your completely right that record sales has nothing to do with quality, except for the BEATLES.

Well, I didn't mean to say The Beatles didn't make quality music, I just mean that higher record sales can't really be used as a measuring stick. They all made fantastic music, but the reason The Beatles are the giants they are, and outsold these other bands, is more a testament to their wide appeal.

That's only convenient for your 'argument' though. In reality more people know of and like and remember The Beatles for the great music they made. They can't help it a gazillion people liked them. That has nothing to do with the quality of the music.

Date: January 8, 2012 21:47

whitem8
meekscary has come out from hiding. Maybe the family was looking for him after betting on the "done deal" story...? Maybe?

No use Gazza, like trying to use a rock to clean up water. Nothing gets in.

Ah but one has to love how meekscary insists on being wrong all the time.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: January 8, 2012 22:24

The Stones are in the group that would include Zep, AC/DC, and the Who. The Beatles are in the group that includes Abba, the Bee Gees and Elton John. There is a difference, and if you can't hear the difference, then you don't understand and most likely never will.

Date: January 8, 2012 23:27

Gazza
rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

What about The Beach Boys?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 9, 2012 03:16

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Gazza
rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

Nah..too many splinter versions..although I'll raise you The Blind Boys of Alabama.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-09 03:45 by Gazza.

Posted by: champ72 ()
Date: January 9, 2012 07:16

Olivia Newton-John sold more records than the Who?? That is bizarre!~!~

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: January 10, 2012 20:16

rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

Golden Earring, still recording and touring.

Date: January 10, 2012 20:35

Gazza
WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Gazza
rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

Nah..too many splinter versions..although I'll raise you The Blind Boys of Alabama.

Willie Nelson's never stopped! Ah but he's not a band.

Hmmm. There has to be someone. I guess there really isn't. No band has actually done something for 50 years. Take away the years the Stones didn't do anything and it's probably more like 20 years they've been a band...

Posted by: Claire_M ()
Date: January 10, 2012 20:47

Gazza
rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

Surely you jest - those latter two have been touring with one or NO original members for a couple of decades now.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: January 10, 2012 21:00

ZZ Top have been together since 1969. No line up changes. Original members still. That's impressive.

Date: January 10, 2012 21:20

Claire_M
Gazza
rocker1
stonescrow

Who has done this?

Surely you jest - those latter two have been touring with one or NO original members for a couple of decades now.

They're still "putting their asses on the line in a live environment and delivering the goods" and are obviously successful at it if they keep on doing it.

That's what this is about, not who is in what or how original. The Stones have had 14 people holding them up on stage. That's not exactly...well, you get the point.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2315
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home