Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: rare jim morrison photos from june 1971 in france
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 16, 2018 19:17

See link:

[hhhhappy.com]

Re: OT: rare jim morrison photos from june 1971 in france
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2018 19:23

Wow- at this point he was ravaged by drugs; his face looks puffy, drug induced, etc...

Love the voice!!

Posted by: djgab ()
Date: October 16, 2018 19:51

pics were taken in Saint-Leu-d'Esserent which seems to be close to Chantilly in the north of Paris (if there is no other place with a similar name) in June 1971.

Nellcote was occupied by Keith from April to August 1971.

I wonder if there are some known Stones Doors connections in France around that time ?

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 16, 2018 19:56

Not really "rare" anymore as these were published quite a while ago, but always interesting to see and ponder.

"One might assume that Morrison was fat, bearded and bloated due to drugs and alcohol abuse at this point,
but he looks trim, clean-shaven and relatively healthy here for a man about to expire".

He looked worse prior to leaving for France when he really was fat, bearded, and bloated. Still a bit puffy in these pics, but otherwise in decent looking shape.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: October 16, 2018 20:51

Thanks for posting the link Noughties. I love the shot of the little boy peering
out the window behind Jim! As one person mentioned, I also recall Jim meeting the
Stones during this time but unfortunately do not remember the specifics. Maybe
somonelse has some info or possibly it’s just a legend.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 17, 2018 00:04

Nice to see the clean face, especially like the last photo.....

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: October 17, 2018 00:48

swimtothemoon
Thanks for posting the link Noughties. I love the shot of the little boy peering
out the window behind Jim! As one person mentioned, I also recall Jim meeting the
Stones during this time but unfortunately do not remember the specifics. Maybe
somonelse has some info or possibly it’s just a legend.

The story I have heard is of Marianne visiting Paris in the period shortly before Morrison's death. Drugs (inevitably) seem to have been part of the tale..maybe shared the same dealer?

On the other issue, I think he doesn't look too bad in these photos....certainly better than Brian Jones 1967/69 and Keith/Anita....for most of the 1970's.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: October 17, 2018 01:00

Jean de Breuteil aka Johnny Braces is the link n'est ce pas?

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: October 17, 2018 01:54

I think he looks healthy and happy in the photos

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 17, 2018 02:25

Hairball
Not really "rare" anymore as these were published quite a while ago, but always interesting to see and ponder.

"One might assume that Morrison was fat, bearded and bloated due to drugs and alcohol abuse at this point,
but he looks trim, clean-shaven and relatively healthy here for a man about to expire".

He looked worse prior to leaving for France when he really was fat, bearded, and bloated. Still a bit puffy in these pics, but otherwise in decent looking shape.

He was trimming down with heroin. Caughing blood and having bad hickups from alcohol withdrawl. Cocaine only worsened his alcoholism. He was ageing rapidly. He wrote about dying, when he actually had a go at it.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: October 17, 2018 03:12

Looks fine to me. The bearded look did not make look healthy

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 17, 2018 08:40

It’s funny, we all suffer from reading the same stories over and over for years and it shapes our perception.
Jim Morrison died nearly half a century ago and in that time people have not only gotten heavier but taller.
The average man in Jim Morrison’s time weighed about 160lbs,today it’s around 195lbs.
If you didn’t know who it was Would you actually look at those pictures and say,”man that guy is really fat” of course not.
He was an alcoholic plain and simple but what finished him off is still a mystery,he was coughing a lot and as someone did mention it got bad enough where blood came up at some point in the last couple of days before he died, but the final nail could’ve been anything.
He could’ve did some junk with Pamela,he could’ve taken some shit a fan gave him or his body may have just had enough.
It wouldn’t have mattered anyway,Morrison never planned on staying here for long.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: October 17, 2018 10:51

video: [youtu.be]

And no i wouldnt say he was fat. He wasnt skinny like the cool hippies and stars but not that heavy either. He died from a heroin OD (probably) but we all know it was the native spirit that finally got to him.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: October 17, 2018 12:20

well of course i don't know for certain; but to me, (i'd seen all these long ago by virtue, and demises heh heh, of age and fan interest....he certainly was important and his music still fills almost every and any rock wavelength; i don't think of him as za good poet, even when i was young, (robbie wrote 'light my fire,' but jim's most excellent stuff, imo, made it to recordings like Horse Latitudes, as far as poetry; tho When the Music's Over is a grand poetic epic he deserves mucho praise for; it's courageous actually; it's virile and juvenile, infantile and exposed, all at the same time and it's a remarkable achievement, as is The End, as is a lot of even their unfocused stuff; or softer well-meaning fluff...his very early into films at ucla but dropped out which is a good sign for a filmaker imo. heh heh; i live here and the place is ab rotten with film folk tho i've earned a dime or two in more low-end non-talent stuff so should be kind as i'm a tiny bit tiny complicit on all the bad bad flicks i had any remote dealing with; and everything, of course of course, to do with anything that might not have been too embarassing...cheeuz u got to carry that weight a long time...
...anyway, back to me...
kdding

jim's early film stuff; not exactly as good as the various edbgier films; our boys were in One so to speak...
....but for rock musicians at the time it was a big stretch; there was no video; i wouldn't even have a color tv till the 80's personally, wow what a difference...
back to b&w i say; if only for Rod Serling and teleplays not about terror terror murder and terror murdering other terror murderers and occasionally a handy prostie or dealer jsut to show originality, edge and cultural perspective; i love hollywood...
anyway...i live in 'jim morrison land' sorta, where robbit still plays some excellent and evolved stuff....alwawys thought a flamenco guitarist and a clasical musician and a jazz drummer would go great with a dropout film student who was a drunk who liked ther blues and could sing real real good...
like never; it was a miracle and still is; tho i don't, admittedly, go to him like i go to stones, van, wilson pickett, otis, early-to-mid James and Mavis and lots lots lots of earlier and later groups then Doors but do respect them; and now and again, their power stuns me to gratitude; tho it's hard with all the clones deifying his awkward juveline scibblings; he's no john lennon let'
s just say that but jim was as charismatic, which is saying a LOT and you bet the Stones went to see them out here and it was an important concert for Mick I am certain....
.....look at the picture on the wall in Performance...
jim's promoted bare-chested boutique bathroomy shots by Gloris from 16 magazine (the editor; gloris stavers? i think; wow long time ago; like really long;
anyway she was a lover and all that; i think he said he wanted like OUT of that image and those designations pretty determinedly adter some success; he was marcvelous; catch live at holly2ood bowl; see his humor , self deprecating burps and little crack-ups at the local crowed for half a second amidst the drama of it all; at least in the interp of me and some pals...

for me, like Hairball and others here; i don't necessarily think; oh lem too;
i don't necessariuly; oh there's a squirrel; (know that one?)
don 't necessarily think he w2as bloated caue of drunkeness; we'll never truly know i guess but i don't think so; i think he looks cleaned up, more serene; happy; he seemed to really love that woman and must have had sweet feelings for the photographer friend; i don't know what happened but damn sorry it did; it was a huge loss i still feel; not only for whatever singing; but just that someone with so much creative courage and tude and heart would go down; not a lizard king; a guy in his twenties who worked his ass off before during and i don't know about adter big Doors action, but i'm sorry he's gone and those first two Doors albums were spectacular through and through and still are which is quite an amazing thing.
i am certain the others were inters5ed; but my guess and feeling is that a guy smart as Mick, who hung with Barishinikov and other inspiring hard working hard achieving peeps in different fields, wudda really just HAD, james-brown-like and tina-turner-and-Iketettes-like, sorta have to give him a keen lookover

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2018 13:34

Père Lachaise Cemetery, Paris -- 24 October 2017 ……….. Photo - Rockeeeee

ROCKMAN

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: October 17, 2018 14:11

the thing I hate in these photos is the click-catching title

he looks fine, rip

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 17, 2018 14:59

Agree. Considering all the hoopla about drugs, alcohol and weight issue I had no idea he looked so well in that moment. Hopefully he was feeling happy too.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: October 17, 2018 20:09

Rockman

I visited there on a cool misty morning while in Paris in 1987 when the headstone was still in place, and it was quite an adventure. Upon entering the cemetery there were scribblings and graffiti pointing the way towards Jim's grave. Once we found it, there were several people there loitering around drinking beer, smoking hash, taking pics, etc. There were empty, beer cans, bottles, and cigarette butts, etc. littering the area, and graffiti was scrawled all over the place including adjacent tombstones - quite a strange scene. We took a few pics ourselves, and then made our way around the rest of the cemetery which was really quite beautiful with all the large and extravagant tombstones. Other notable people buried there include Frederic Chopin and Oscar Wilde amongst many others - not to mention all the "regular" folks buried there.

Found this pic via google which is pretty close to how I remember seeing it back then - including the chipped nose:

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 18, 2018 13:15

I wanted to visit Oscar Wilde's tomb as much as Morrison's grave ..

But when I found my way to the tomb it was a strange feeling of
disappointment to learn that a heavy, protective fence of clear
plastic had been built around it to prevent graffiti and probably
more so the high cost of having to have the graffiti continually removed ….

You cant blame the family at all but it was like a barrier blocking
his spirits from roaming free …….... And something tells me that Oscar wouldn't like that …….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: October 18, 2018 18:16

Hairball
Rockman

I visited there on a cool misty morning while in Paris in 1987 when the headstone was still in place, and it was quite an adventure. Upon entering the cemetery there were scribblings and graffiti pointing the way towards Jim's grave. Once we found it, there were several people there loitering around drinking beer, smoking hash, taking pics, etc. There were empty, beer cans, bottles, and cigarette butts, etc. littering the area, and graffiti was scrawled all over the place including adjacent tombstones - quite a strange scene. We took a few pics ourselves, and then made our way around the rest of the cemetery which was really quite beautiful with all the large and extravagant tombstones. Other notable people buried there include Frederic Chopin and Oscar Wilde amongst many others - not to mention all the "regular" folks buried there.

Found this pic via google which is pretty close to how I remember seeing it back then - including the chipped nose:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-19 07:59 by mosthigh.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: October 19, 2018 08:37

Can you imagine if Morrison,Hendrix,Janis,Lennon,Harrison,Bonham,Moonie,Bon Scott and a few others I’m sure I’m forgetting had lived as long as the Stones?
We would be in a different world today musically.
Just pick one person-Hendrix makes 10 more albums,it changes EVERYTHING.is Zep as big during the 70s if they have the master challenging Page?
Does Michael Jackson have the impact in the 80s if the Beatles reunited?
It’s interesting and also very sad how Rock and Roll died,what is that old saying “slowly then all at once”

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 19, 2018 10:38

That's a beautiful thought. Unfortunately life doesn't work out this way,so it seems to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2086
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home