Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Please name albums (by any band/act) with one great song, where the rest of the songs suck.
Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: January 1, 2012 14:19

Yes.

"There was a film I seen one time, about a man running across the desert, and it starred Gregory Peck. He was shot down by a lowly kid etc"

Re: Please name albums (by any band/act) with one great song, where the rest of the songs suck.
Date: January 1, 2012 14:29

Other bad albums with one good track are as follows:

1. Hard Times by Elvis Presley from Frankie & Johnny OST
2. Like An Inca from Trans by Neil Young
3. Have You Ever Seen The Rain by Johnny Cash from Rainbow
4. I Can't Read from Tin Machine by Tin Machine
5. Time After Time by Miles Davis from You're Under Arrest
6. Love Field by Elvis Costello from Good Bye Cruel World
7. Tom Cat by Muddy Waters from Electric Mud
8. Tomorrow Is A Long Time by Elvis Presley from Spinout OST

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: January 1, 2012 15:47

Try "Amie" by Pure Prairie League.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 1, 2012 15:54

I have read on several occasions how Jimmy Pages cites Presence as his favourite Zeppelin album. I've always found that to be a little suspicious. It's not a terrible record, but IMO, there isn't a single stand-out performance.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 1, 2012 16:01

Thick As A Brick. winking smiley

Date: January 1, 2012 17:51

Stoneage
One truly great song on an album is often enough. To be fair: The Stones haven't managed that since 1981. "Undercover of the night" comes close, but no cigar.

That's two that have said Undercover Of The Night. I wish I had the drugs y'all are takin' because that is so far removed from the truth it's beyond funny.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 1, 2012 17:59

Zack
Try "Amie" by Pure Prairie League.

Good one!

Date: January 1, 2012 19:43

Thommie,

Is that Thick as A Brick part 1, or part 2 ? There are only 2 tracks on it !

Date: January 1, 2012 21:53

Would also add:

1. White City by The Pogues from Peace & Love

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: January 2, 2012 00:02

tomcasagranda
Thommie,

In fact there's only one. I think it's on the CD version it's named as part 1 and part 2. On vinyl there is just one song 45 minutes.

Thick As A Brick will be performed live in its entirity this spring.
[www.jethrotull.com]

Posted by: letitloose ()
Date: January 2, 2012 00:25

And I will be there for the Thick as a brick show. Can't wait. and, yep, it is just one song

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: January 2, 2012 01:05

"Like a Prayer" by Madonna. Great song: Like a Prayer.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: January 2, 2012 01:22

tomcasagranda

All of Trans was terrible & so was Reactor, although T-Bone was amusing.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 2, 2012 01:37

Erik_Snow
Young Americans is a great album, IMO

The only Bowie album that belongs in this thread is "Tonight". "Loving The Ailien" is excellent, the rest of the album is not.
....apart from Blue Jean; so maybe not even "Tonight" fits in here

And I actually like the title track as well to the two you've mentioned...but the album as a whole is pretty dull.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 2, 2012 02:19

WeLoveToPlayTheBlues
Stoneage
One truly great song on an album is often enough. To be fair: The Stones haven't managed that since 1981. "Undercover of the night" comes close, but no cigar.

That's two that have said Undercover Of The Night. I wish I had the drugs y'all are takin' because that is so far removed from the truth it's beyond funny.

Beyond funny. I like that. What lies beyond funny? That doesn't change the fact that She Was Hot was a throwaway Berry knockoff.......and the rest....is beyond sucking.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: January 2, 2012 02:24

uhbuhgullayew
tomcasagranda

All of Trans was terrible & so was Reactor, although T-Bone was amusing.

Gotta differ with you there. T-Bone is like 8 minutes of "Got mashed potatoes, ain't got no T-bone. And from Trans I quite like "Little Thing Called Love" and "Sample and Hold."

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: January 2, 2012 02:28

the title tracks of both AC/DC albums FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK and STIFF UPPER LIP

Posted by: UnionHall ()
Date: January 2, 2012 02:39

My Sharona by the Knack on Get the Knack

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 2, 2012 02:54

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow

The only Bowie album that belongs in this thread is "Tonight". "Loving The Ailien" is excellent, the rest of the album is not.

And I actually like the title track as well to the two you've mentioned...but the album as a whole is pretty dull.

I used to like the title track, "Tonight", when I got the LP as a youngster, but after hearing Iggy Pop's original version, I thought/think Bowie's version is absolutely uneccessary.
"Neighbourhood Threat" even more so - allthough I didn't like Bowie's version to begin with. While it's a highlight on "Lust For Life"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-02 02:55 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 2, 2012 03:15

Thommie
tomcasagranda
Thommie,

In fact there's only one. I think it's on the CD version it's named as part 1 and part 2. On vinyl there is just one song 45 minutes.

Thick As A Brick will be performed live in its entirity this spring.
[www.jethrotull.com]

Is that going to be a Jethro Tull tour or an Ian Anderson solo tour? They're not entirely the same thing. With an Anderson solo tour, you don't get Martin Barre.

Date: January 2, 2012 03:54

UnionHall
My Sharona by the Knack on Get the Knack

Sorry...'Good Girls Don't...but I Do' is classic.

Date: January 2, 2012 03:55

Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow

I used to like the title track, "Tonight", when I got the LP as a youngster, but after hearing Iggy Pop's original version, I thought/think Bowie's version is absolutely uneccessary.
"Neighbourhood Threat" even more so - allthough I didn't like Bowie's version to begin with. While it's a highlight on "Lust For Life"

I haven't listened to it in some time...isn't it a duet with Tina Turner, or am I thinking of something else?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 2, 2012 04:03

Big Al
I have read on several occasions how Jimmy Pages cites Presence as his favourite Zeppelin album. I've always found that to be a little suspicious. It's not a terrible record, but IMO, there isn't a single stand-out performance.

That brings to mind the exchange below between Truman Capote and an interviewer (in the book CONVERSATIONS WITH CAPOTE) about Norman Mailer's fat Egyptian novel ANCIENT EVENINGS:

CAPOTE: "I read Norman's book ANCIENT EVENINGS and it never lifted once...It never even got off the page anywhere."

INTERVIEWER: "He says it's the best writing he's ever done."

CAPOTE: "I can understand why he said that. He feels on the defensive. But he's written far better things than that."

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 2, 2012 05:46

hockenheim95
the title tracks of both AC/DC albums FOR THOSE ABOUT TO ROCK and STIFF UPPER LIP

Oh come on, Evil Walks is pure Kick Ass, and Let's Get it Up ain't half bad either.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 2, 2012 09:29

treaclefingers
Erik_Snow
treaclefingers
Erik_Snow

I haven't listened to it in some time...isn't it a duet with Tina Turner, or am I thinking of something else?

Yes, a duet with Tina Turner. Come to think of it......apart from the "singles" of the album, I haven't listened to the LP in ages, either. Maybe 10 years. Guess it's time to give it a spin. Even bad albums deserves a spin every decade

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-01-02 09:29 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 2, 2012 10:16

Since Undercover is under discussion, this is how I feel about it:

"Undercover of the Night" Very good, plus extra credit for originality and theme
"She Was Hot" Very good, lots of fun, some real questionable arena rock guitar though
"Tie You Up (The Pain of Love)" Great
"Wanna Hold You" Never liked it, for me Keith's first miss ever
"Feel On Baby" Very good, plus extra credit for being reggae
"Too Much Blood" Great great great, the best of Mick
"Pretty Beat Up" Great great great, the best of Ronnie
"Too Tough" Good, almost very good, extra credit for its insight into Mick's marriage to Bianca
"All the Way Down" Very very good, quite jauntily composed
"It Must Be Hell" Okay. Best part is that its somewhat making fun of U2's quasi-
militancy at the time. In my opinion.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: January 2, 2012 10:40

more on topic (the good songs, cant remember the album names):

The Cult - She sells sanctuary
Eminem- Love the way you lie

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: January 2, 2012 12:48

Don't Fear the Reaper, Blue Oyster Cult.

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: January 2, 2012 13:03

Eminence Front - The Who, from It's Hard

One of my favourite songs ever.

Date: January 2, 2012 13:50

You Better You Bet by The Who from Face Dances

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home