Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

$1500 for a 'limited edition' litho...?
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 27, 2011 21:04

Seriously what are they thinking???

http://www.stonesarchivestore.com/?src=NEWS116191

"We have an extremely limited amount at this incredible price!"

Yeah, the price IS incredible. I collect Stones music/videos, not memorabilia, so I am biased in this. Additionally I produce video for a living, my wife is a photographer, and we are both artists. I recognize value in art, and this piece of junk litho is barely art. So the boys signed it, how is it worth $1500? Its just found art pieces, photographed with an anamorphic lens, or adjusted in Adobe Illustrator to appear that way. I HATED the 'art' on the Licks tour. It was and is derivative and UNcreative. Post-modern to the max, and not like the Warhol minimalism.

Am I way out in left field? Are there folks on this board who view that as a 'bargain' or of some value that I am missing?

I'd rather buy a copy of Live In Texas for 78 people, than spend $1500 of this piece of junk.

Re: $1500 for a 'limited edition' litho...?
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2011 21:30

flacnvinyl
Seriously what are they thinking???

http://www.stonesarchivestore.com/?src=NEWS116191

"We have an extremely limited amount at this incredible price!"

Yeah, the price IS incredible. I collect Stones music/videos, not memorabilia, so I am biased in this. Additionally I produce video for a living, my wife is a photographer, and we are both artists. I recognize value in art, and this piece of junk litho is barely art. So the boys signed it, how is it worth $1500? Its just found art pieces, photographed with an anamorphic lens, or adjusted in Adobe Illustrator to appear that way. I HATED the 'art' on the Licks tour. It was and is derivative and UNcreative. Post-modern to the max, and not like the Warhol minimalism.

Am I way out in left field? Are there folks on this board who view that as a 'bargain' or of some value that I am missing?

I'd rather buy a copy of Live In Texas for 78 people, than spend $1500 of this piece of junk.

Why don't you just ask some folks?

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: December 27, 2011 21:47

flacnvinyl

Am I way out in left field? .[/quote

no

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: December 27, 2011 23:09

Thanks for the link to the thread. Apparently I missed that. I just breathed a major sigh of relief.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 28, 2011 01:52

Better chance of selling them at $1,250 if they professionally cut off the artwork and Jeff Koons signature. More value to a nice set of clean signatures and let the buyer frame it up with something from their own collection. The litho artwork is not awful, it's just not something represents the band.

If they want to sell $3,500 lithos, get Ronnie's "B-Stage" painting, litho 100 of them and have all 4 members hand-sign those. They would be sold out in a few days.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:00

That litho is hideous. I would much rather get the Exile Litho set with the sigs, that actually looks like a class piece of work with the box.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 28, 2011 03:18

I love art and excuse me for those of you who appreciate Jeff Koons but I don't.

Posted by: steini ()
Date: December 28, 2011 05:47

I found most of the Licks tour logos and merchantise overblown bad graphic design. The Band was great and also many good t-shirts like Buddhist Punk or the replica shirts.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 28, 2011 08:16

Yeah, those Buddhist Punk shirts, pants, and dresses were cool. Too bad they didn't go more with that kind of artwork.

Date: December 28, 2011 09:51

I may be wrong, but I had a freind look into buying the Exile Box Set with the signed lithos. His understanding is that each box contains the series of lithos and only one of them is signed by one member. you have no idea who you are getting until it's too late. The band signed around 30+ items and they are a random placement deal.

Am I wrong or does each box contain 4 lithos...each signed by one member ?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 28, 2011 11:52

I believe it was one signature on each lithograph. It is (or at least was) possible to zoom in on the signatures, so you can see who signed what. Hope this helps.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: December 28, 2011 13:01

There are 3 prints in the Exile box:

72 Tour Poster - signed by Keith
Exile Promo Poster - signed by Charlie
Tumblin' Dice Poster - signed by Mick

This is the same in each set although each is signed individually.

Posted by: folon ()
Date: December 28, 2011 13:59

about one year ago, I have posted a few pictures of my Exile box (the "Super Deluxe Band Signed Art Licks Set" ):

[www.iorr.org]

I still think that it is a beautiful set but overpriced at the original selling price...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2011-12-28 14:01 by folon.

Date: December 28, 2011 15:28

folon, I missed your original post. Those prints look stunning! Wonderful! Great job with the framing. And thanks for showing. I have debated about buying as well...still debating, that's a chunk of change for a poor educator, but also a great investment. And beautiful art as well. It would be cool to make an acrylic box frame to hold the box and hang on the wall. But also expensive. Nice stuff. Thanks again for sharing.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2011 15:41

The autographs are one thing. Another thing is the authenticity of the prints. I mean, are the `72 tour posters really from `72 or is it a re-print produced a month before it goes on sale? An original 72 poster has some kind of value a re-print none.

Date: December 28, 2011 16:05

These are lithographs. Not original posters from 72. They are limited and numbered. Lithographs are far higher quality than simple concert posters.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: December 28, 2011 16:36

OK. I know what a lithograph is. But still, they are newly produced aren't they?

Date: December 28, 2011 17:01

Yes, they are newly made, from the original plates.

Posted by: Memorymotel62 ()
Date: December 28, 2011 17:30

They seem to be gone now anyway, probably sold out so I guess some people like the piece. The Koons auto itself probably worth the price when having a look at what prices his art sells for.

Bo

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: December 28, 2011 17:31

I'd want it hand delivered by one of the band for that much

Date: December 28, 2011 19:30

Why couldn't all of them just sign the same poster.

Posted by: superrevvy ()
Date: December 28, 2011 20:26

Here's one of the same prints for sale for $6300 firm.

[www.artbrokerage.com.au]

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:03

Jeff's signature devaluates the print IMO.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 28, 2011 21:16

Folon, you did a wonderful job. Good for you!

In my opinion, much classier than the current "Some Girls" offer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home